PDA

View Full Version : Trump/O'Reilly Interview

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Has anyone seen it? Supposed to have aired at 4pm EST.

Context counts, as the post below points out, however does anyone have a problem with this IF there's not more 'context given?'

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/02/05/trump-on-oreilly-calling-putin-a-killer-do-you-think-our-countrys-so-innocent/

Trump on O’Reilly calling Putin a killer: “Do you think our country’s so innocent?”POSTED AT 2:01 PM ON FEBRUARY 5, 2017 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

A short but provocative sneak preview of today’s Super Bowl interview with Bill O’Reilly. Maybe … Fox took him out of context? Hopefully?
One thing that’s striking about this is how consistent it is with what Trump said in December 2015 when Joe Scarborough asked him how it felt to be praised by Putin, a guy who kills his political opponents. Trump hit the same notes then as he does below — “At least he’s a leader,” he noted (http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/18/trump-on-putin-well-our-country-does-a-lot-of-killing-too/), adding “I think our country does plenty of killing, also.” During the campaign, reluctant Trump backers on the right liked to toy with the theory that President Trump would differ in important ways from candidate Trump. Candidate Trump liked to provoke, knowing that it served his anti-establishment “disruptive” brand, although sometimes he went too far. President Trump would leave that behind and take a (somewhat) more sober approach once the burden of statesmanship and the realities of dealing with Russia were upon him. Trump himself liked to feed that theory (http://www.npr.org/2016/04/21/475126907/shows-over-trump-pledges-to-be-so-presidential-you-will-be-so-bored) occasionally in his public statements on the campaign trail. And now here we are. When Trump said he’d be more “presidential,” was running down his own country by comparing it to Russian fascism what he had in mind?

What’s most striking about this, though, is how gratuitous it is. What he says is wholly unnecessary to achieve his purpose, which is simply making the public comfortable with the idea of detente with Russia. When O’Reilly says “Putin’s a killer,” Trump has an easy comeback available to him: “I know he is, but Mao was much more of a killer and Nixon had the good sense to build a relationship with him. Why? Because it was in the interests of Americans to do so.

gabosaurus
02-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Why doesn't Trump just come out and state that he wants to get rid of the legislative and judicial branches and rule as a dictator? We all know that is what he wants.

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 04:55 PM
I guess one needs to ask, do you equate 'war' even using drones on US citizens engaged in terrorism against US troops to what Russia has done regarding poisonings and other ways of killing people for political reasons?

2 days ago:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/02/03/russian-activist-felled-2015-suspected-poisoning-hospitalized-similar-symptoms/97437612/

2016:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/.../moscow-kremlin-silence-critics-poison.html

2015:

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/06/04/a-short-history-of-russian-poisoning/

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Need context, as you said. Putin is more of a leader than Obama ever could dream of.

I wish trump would leave the voter fraud thing alone. I heard he is assigning pence to head up that fight. I think it's futile. He won.

gabosaurus
02-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Putin will soon be more of an American leader than you might wish. Since Trump obviously wants to be Putin. If not Stalin.

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Putin will soon be more of an American leader than you might wish. Since Trump obviously wants to be Putin. If not Stalin.
Does that mean we get to put you in the gulag?

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Need context, as you said. Putin is more of a leader than Obama ever could dream of.

I wish trump would leave the voter fraud thing alone. I heard he is assigning pence to head up that fight. I think it's futile. He won.

Putin may be a leader, but he's not 'just like the US leaders' in how he deals with competition or political enemies.

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Putin may be a leader, but he's not 'just like the US leaders' in how he deals with competition or political enemies.
Well it's clear trump said "At least Putin is a leader". The second part is in question and depends on context yes?

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 05:17 PM
I will watch the interview tonight. So much of what trump says is taken out of context...

by both sides.

Little-Acorn
02-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Why doesn't Trump just come out and state that he wants to get rid of the legislative and judicial branches and rule as a dictator? We all know that is what he wants.

What you mean "we", kimosabe?

I see the leftist losers are still using Pravda tactics ("everybody knows that....") to pretend they have some valid point when they don't.

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Well it's clear trump said "At least Putin is a leader". The second part is in question and depends on context yes?

Yes, as i said in OP. I don't know why he tries any sort of comparison though when it comes to killing. He did that during the campaign too.

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Great interview with feinstein

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Great interview with feinstein

Live feed, I'll need to delete. I thought it would stop at Trump interview. Sorry.

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Live feed, I'll need to delete. I thought it would stop at Trump interview. Sorry.
No problem. It was good.

Kathianne
02-05-2017, 06:57 PM
After watching it, I don't feel the context helped him. Here's an opinion from someone who had not been anti-Trump:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/02/05/trump-outrageously-disses-america-while-defending-putin/

TRENDING (https://pjmedia.com/trending/)Trump Outrageously Disses America While Defending Putin BY RICK MORAN (https://pjmedia.com/columnist/rick-moran) FEBRUARY 5, 2017
In an interview with Bill O'Reilly set to air during the Super Bowl pregame show, Donald Trump defended Russian President Vladimir Putin when the host referred to him as a "killer." The president responded: "You think our country's so innocent?"

It goes without saying that opposing Vladimir Putin isn't good for your health. (https://larussophobe.wordpress.com/putinmurders/) Dozens of political opponents of the Russian dictator have been shot, suffered unlikely heart attacks, died in auto accidents, or, like human rights activist and fierce Putin critic Vladimir Kara-Murza, (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/03/has-putin-poisoned-another-opponent.html) been poisoned. And while it's probable that some of these deaths were from natural causes, is there anyone who seriously doubts that at least some of these prominent Putin critics were assassinated?

Apparently, the president is unconvinced. And while defending Putin, Trump aped his predecessor Barack Obama by saying America was just as bad. (That is how it struck me.)

A clip of the exchange was released Saturday and the full interview is scheduled to air Sunday.
It was an unusual assertion coming from the President of the United States. Trump himself, however, has made similar points before.

"He's running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country," Trump told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" (http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/donald-trump-praises-defends-vladimir-putin/) in December 2015.

He continued, "I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe, so you know. There's a lot of stupidity going on in the world right now, a lot of killing, a lot of stupidity," Trump said.

US Rep. Adam Schiff, a California Democrat who serves on the House Intelligence Committee, called Trump's claim false.

"This is the second time Trump has defended Putin against the charge that he's a killer by saying in effect that the US is no better or different," Schiff told CNN. "This is as inexplicably bizarre as it is untrue. Does he not see the damage he does with comments like that, and the gift he gives to Russian propaganda?"

In the interview with O'Reilly, Trump noted that just because he respects someone "doesn't mean I'm going to get along with them."

"He's a leader of his country and I say it's better to get along with Russia than not, and if Russia helps us in the fight against ISIS, which is a major fight, and Islamic terrorism all over the world, a major fight -- that's a good thing. Will I get along with them? I have no idea," Trump said.

One can 'get along' without trying to create a false equivalency.

Black Diamond
02-05-2017, 07:06 PM
I am guessing it will be available on the Fox app

Elessar
02-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Are you for real?

What do you think Obama did for 8 years?

aboutime
02-05-2017, 07:19 PM

Wrong again gabby. We all know what YOU WANT, WISH FOR, AND DENY.

You sound more like a member of the KGB than Putin. And you DARE to call yourself a citizen of this nation? What happened gabby? Did you run out of Kool-aid, and Safety pins?

Kathianne
02-06-2017, 08:28 AM
If you want to see the whole interview:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5311416183001/?#sp=show-clips

Abbey Marie
02-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I watched it. It felt like a defensive comment by Trump to an aggressive comment by O'Reilly. I don't think context makes any difference in this case. Trump doesn't perform as well as I'd like on his feet. I think we are seeing the difference between a man used to being obeyed in business, and a seasoned glib politician.

Kathianne
02-06-2017, 04:45 PM
I watched it. It felt like a defensive comment by Trump to an aggressive comment by O'Reilly. I don't think context makes any difference in this case. Trump doesn't perform as well as I'd like on his feet. I think we are seeing the difference between a man used to being obeyed in business, and a seasoned glib politician.

I really do not like that he went to moral equivalency between Putin and US. He lost the thread of what Putin has ordered for personal political reasons. If one wishes to discuss how the countries have behaved regarding the use of proxy wars and such, especially during the Cold War, point taken. That wasn't the topic though.

I don't think O'Reilly brought the question up out of thin air, it was a result of continued positive remarks by Trump and those surrounding him regarding Putin. It's worrisome, as was his comment about how China dealt with the protestors at Tiananmen Square.

There IS a lot to say for 'speaking softly and carrying a big stick.'

We are not a perfect country, never have been, unlikely to be. We keep working on it though. Much like each and every one of us.

I do think that character matters, I know I've banged that pot a lot, but this is where it comes out. With that said, the worst I've seen is Trump speaks in a rude fashion, I'd never expect to hear he had tried to have an 'enemy' in business or politics poisoned. I don't think he would even think of such a thing. Putin has, with death resulting.

Black Diamond
02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Trump explained what he meant by "you think we are innocent?" He referenced the Iraq war. Sounds like he may be equating Putin with GWB, but he wasn't pressed. Ironic the left attacking him in any case.

Kathianne
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Trump explained what he meant by "you think we are innocent?" He referenced the Iraq war. Sounds like he may be equating Putin with GWB, but he wasn't pressed. Ironic the left attacking him in any case.

I'm not buying that. However, I do think Abbey is right when she said he seemed defensive. I disagree that O'Reilly was aggressive, it seems pretty difficult to out-aggress Trump.

I am not gratuitously slamming Trump, but his answer really needs more than comparing Putin to a US war action. Again, wasn't the topic of the question. He is smart enough to know that, I think we can agree on that.

Black Diamond
02-06-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm not buying that. However, I do think Abbey is right when she said he seemed defensive. I disagree that O'Reilly was aggressive, it seems pretty difficult to out-aggress Trump.

I am not gratuitously slamming Trump, but his answer really needs more than comparing Putin to a US war action. Again, wasn't the topic of the question. He is smart enough to know that, I think we can agree on that.
So we are clear, what exactly do you not buy?

aboutime
02-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Disagree with Trump or not is normal. But, at least Trump is defensive enough to constantly express how he will DEFEND the nation, and all of us. Not something many of us can ever remember hearing Obama doing...without first, apologizing for being America, and Americans to all of the appeased enemies he Kissed Butt for.

Kathianne
02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
So we are clear, what exactly do you not buy?

That his reason for saying that was the Iraq War.

Abbey Marie
02-07-2017, 11:30 AM

We will have to disagree. When an interviewer goes 2-3 times escalating the same question, all the while with an incredulous look on his face, I consider it aggressive.

Kathianne
02-07-2017, 11:54 AM
We will have to disagree. When an interviewer goes 2-3 times escalating the same question, all the while with an incredulous look on his face, I consider it aggressive.

Agreed on disagreeing.

When a politician, especially the President has made and continues to make comments that express admiration for individuals that take extreme actions, which to my way of thinking murder qualifies, to silence opposition, questions need to be asked. When not answered, they need to be asked again and again. It's not like O'Reilly hasn't been pro-Trump, he has been, though he hasn't been uncritical in his questioning.

Abbey Marie
02-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Agreed on disagreeing.

When a politician, especially the President has made and continues to make comments that express admiration for individuals that take extreme actions, which to my way of thinking murder qualifies, to silence opposition, questions need to be asked. When not answered, they need to be asked again and again. It's not like O'Reilly hasn't been pro-Trump, he has been, though he hasn't been uncritical in his questioning.

The desirability or need to ask multiple questions on this issue to Trump is one point and can be debated. A separate point, and the one I was making, is whether that interviewer employed an aggressive style in doing so.

Noir
02-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Is O'Reilly still a thing? Last I heard he was in real bad shape.

As for trumps equivalence of American and Russia, that should be concerning.

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Is O'Reilly still a thing? Last I heard he was in real bad shape.

As for trumps equivalence of American and Russia, that should be concerning.
He still frequently has a #1 show. And trump didn't say they are the same. He said we aren't innocent. Every time Obama mentioned Jim crow and slavery bashing our country I doubt you were the first in line to attack him.

Noir
02-07-2017, 01:30 PM
He still frequently has a #1 show. And trump didn't say they are the same. He said we aren't innocent. Every time Obama mentioned Jim crow and slavery bashing our country I doubt you were the first in line to attack him.

Really? I'll have to look back maybe I've got him mixed with someone else but I thought he was being abusive to his wife and kids etc, not the kind of thing you'd expect to pass as a 'figure of morality'.

There is a level of equivalence in 'we do bad things too' unless followed up with a clarification that he does not seem to have offered.

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Really? I'll have to look back maybe I've got him mixed with someone else but I thought he was being abusive to his wife and kids etc, not the kind of thing you'd expect to pass as a 'figure of morality'.

There is a level of equivalence in 'we do bad things too' unless followed up with a clarification that he does not seem to have offered.
He mentioned the Iraq war, which you lefties should be applauding. And I have never considered OReilly a beacon of morality.

Noir
02-07-2017, 01:50 PM
He mentioned the Iraq war, which you lefties should be applauding.

Some "lefties" most certainly are.

And I have never considered OReilly a beacon of morality.

No, but he certainly comsiders it of himself, you would think that would affect things like his audience. Unless they're apathetic towards such things.

Kathianne
02-07-2017, 02:33 PM
The desirability or need to ask multiple questions on this issue to Trump is one point and can be debated. A separate point, and the one I was making, is whether that interviewer employed an aggressive style in doing so.

Well if his keeping going until an answer was given, ok then. I expect reporters/interviewers to do just that, it's part of what should be in the job description.

It certainly wasn't like he was asked when he stopped beating his wife.

If O'Reilly was doing anything, it was trying to give Trump a fair chance to make a good response to the questions many have regarding his admiring remarks about Putin and 'strong actions.'

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Some "lefties" most certainly are.

No, but he certainly comsiders it of himself, you would think that would affect things like his audience. Unless they're apathetic towards such things.
So to be clear, do you think the Iraq war makes Bush and Blair killers?