PDA

View Full Version : Betsy DeVos confirmed 51-50

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Wife just told me. Link on the way.

NightTrain
02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Very good news.

I'm pissed that my Senator, Lisa Murkowski, was one of the two defectors. Nothing like NEA money.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/02/07/mike-pence-makes-history-casts-deciding-vote-for-devos-n2282629

Kathianne
02-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Wife just told me. Link on the way.

Saw it on C-Span. Good for Pence. I'm expecting that the democrats are going to get pushback for delaying tactics.

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/07/devos-confirmed-as-education-secretary-pence-casts-historic-tie-breaking-vote.html

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Saw it on C-Span. Good for Pence. I'm expecting that the democrats are going to get pushback for delaying tactics.
I have the audacity of hope.

Abbey Marie
02-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Any chance that Trump will disembowel the Dept of Education, and send power over education back to the sates?

Elessar
02-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Any chance that Trump will disembowel the Dept of Education, and send power over education back to the sates?

Mixed thoughts on this to be honest.

There should be some common minimal federal standards, but allow the states to design what
is best for their citizens.

NightTrain
02-07-2017, 01:51 PM

I think that's the plan.

$12k voucher per student / year which is how it breaks down now. Something I didn't know is that we spend more on public schools than DoD - that's staggering.

I imagine there's going to be private schools K-12 popping up all over the country if & when this happens.

How about that? Your kid getting educated by schools competing directly with each other for maximum student grades. The best teachers getting paid for delivering and rival schools attempting to lure the top performers, creating a lucrative job market for those stellar teachers. There is nothing more priceless than a really good teacher, I was fortunate to have a few of them.

Conversely, those that don't/can't perform won't be sought out and may do the right thing & find another career more suited to them.

Abbey Marie
02-07-2017, 02:08 PM
I think that's the plan.

$12k voucher per student / year which is how it breaks down now. Something I didn't know is that we spend more on public schools than DoD - that's staggering.

I imagine there's going to be private schools K-12 popping up all over the country if & when this happens.

How about that? Your kid getting educated by schools competing directly with each other for maximum student grades. The best teachers getting paid for delivering and rival schools attempting to lure the top performers, creating a lucrative job market for those stellar teachers. There is nothing more priceless than a really good teacher, I was fortunate to have a few of them.

Conversely, those that don't/can't perform won't be sought out and may do the right thing & find another career more suited to them.

I will root for competition every day.

I am pretty close to my SIL who is a retired teacher. But she is basically ignoring me now, because I said we need to try some out-of-the-box solutions to improve our schools. I didn't even say DeVos was the best person for the job. This topic is volatile.

Gunny
02-07-2017, 02:08 PM
I think that's the plan.

Brother, your audacity of hope is out there with Rod Serling if you think any of THAT crap will happen.

NightTrain
02-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Brother, your audacity of hope is out there with Rod Serling if you think any of THAT crap will happen.

Pretty much everyone told me the exact same thing with Trump's chances of being elected for well over a year.

I'd not bet against Trump when he sets his mind to it, and damn the odds. The more the deck is stacked against him, the harder he fights and the better he performs.

Black Diamond
02-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Pretty much everyone told me the exact same thing with Trump's chances of being elected for well over a year.

I'd not bet against Trump when he sets his mind to it, and damn the odds. The more the deck is stacked against him, the harder he fights and the better he performs.
It'll be interesting. Teachers "associations" have a lot of power.

Abbey Marie
02-07-2017, 02:19 PM

I was just going to post the bolded. :cool:

fj1200
02-07-2017, 02:47 PM
I think that's the plan.

How's that going to happen? Federal spending per student is under 10% not to mention it being the purview of states.

Kathianne
02-07-2017, 02:54 PM
How's that going to happen? Federal spending per student is under 10% not to mention it being the purview of states.

Personally I don't think the fed should be funding schools at all, the only exceptions being special needs mandates. They also should not be making requirements regarding education. That is the states purview.

Bilgerat
02-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Kinda in a "pissing" contest here at Casa Bilgerat

The Lady of the House (who I've mentioned before is a teacher in the Public System) is less than pleased with the President's choice. Her issue, Ms. DeVos seems to like charter schools. AND the Lady is a firm believer that taking money away from the system does indeed lower the ability of the Public School system to function.

Reminding her that the past choice (Mr. Arne Duncan) had ALSO wanted to expand charter schools AND focused on testing the students as a judge of teachers abilities. This created an issue which resulted in the American Federation of Teachers approving a resolution calling for Education Secretary Arne Duncan to resign if he does not improve under a plan to be implemented by President Barack Obama.

Said “improvement plan” would require that Secretary Duncan enact the equity and funding recommendations of the Equity Commission’s “Each and Every Child” report; revise the No Child Left Behind and Race To The Top “test-and-punish” system of accountability to a "support and improve" structure; and "promote rather than question" teachers and school staff.

Mr. Duncan's response to that was to quit.

It should be noted that the Obama Loving Media stated his tenure had been marked by a "willingness to plunge head-on into the heated debate about the government's role in education."

I finished my thoughts by suggesting that Ms. DeVos could certainly do no worse than Mr. Duncan AND that Pres. Trump WILL fire those that do NOT comply with the "Form, Fit and Function" equation.

The Lady of the House (who IS a Trump Fan) responded with a "suggestion" that would seem to be slightly less cordial than one would like. :laugh:

The agreement. We've adopted a "wait and see" posture. :salute:

aboutime
02-07-2017, 07:42 PM
An opinion here, if anyone cares to read it. Democrats are beside themselves with the selection of the New Education Boss. And, in my opinion; the ONE, and ONLY reason Democrats feel threatened, other than because of their support for Teacher Unions is....
Democrats really FEAR they will lose most of their Die-hard, Lower-income, Minority voters to finally getting an HONEST, GOOD, EDUCATION, where those former Democrat voters will finally learn..HOW DEMOCRATS have been robbing them of the opportunity to gain KNOWLEDGE, and become EDUCATED.

As Nelson Mandela says, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”Apr 23, 2013

Democrats have been using the phony Lure of MORE MONEY to induced Black Americans to constantly vote for them. But, if those BLACK AMERICANS become knowledgeable, and educated. They will TURN AWAY FROM DEMOCRATS.

fj1200
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Very good news.

I'm pissed that my Senator, Lisa Murkowski, was one of the two defectors. Nothing like NEA money.

Pales to DeVos money apparently. :eek:

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) – $98,300
Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) – $70,200
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) – $70,200
Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) -$60,050
Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) – $51,000
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) – $50,600
Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) – $49,800
Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) – $49,200
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) – $48,600
Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) – $48,600
Sen. Steven Daines (R-Mont.) – $46,800
Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) – $46,800
Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) – $43,200
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) – $43,200
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) – $36,400
Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) – $33,100
Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.) – $23,400
Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) – $23,400
Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) – $21,600
Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) – $17,500
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) – $2,600
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) – $2,000
Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) – $1,000
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/02/sitting-us-senators-have-received-115000-directly.html

aboutime
02-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Pales to DeVos money apparently. :eek:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/02/sitting-us-senators-have-received-115000-directly.html

fj....So what? Once again, you sound like gabby. Since you never bothered to mention, or admit...all of those funds were LEGAL. Unless you'd like to provide proof that states otherwise?

aboutime
02-08-2017, 07:47 PM
The Senate just voted, and Sessions is gonna make Former Obama, A.G. look like the amateur, wannabe, Perry Mason phony she really was.:dance::clap::salute:

Black Diamond
02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
The Senate just voted, and Sessions is gonna make Former Obama, A.G. look like the amateur, wannabe, Perry Mason phony she really was.:dance::clap::salute:

Don't you mean Della? Lol

aboutime
02-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Don't you mean Della? Lol

NO WAY! Lynch never actually presented any kind of LADY-LIKE realism during her time obstructing, and disobeying the Constitution to protect Obummer.

Della Street had CLASS. And despite being an actress...had far more intelligence.