PDA

View Full Version : Marine convicted of murdering Iraqi man

LiberalNation
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070802/ap_on_re_us/marines_iraq_shooting

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. - A Marine Corps squad leader was convicted Thursday of murdering an Iraqi man during a frustrated search for an insurgent.

Sgt. Lawrence G. Hutchins III, 23, also was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder, making a false official statement and larceny. He was acquitted of kidnapping, assault and housebreaking.

Hutchins, of Plymouth, Mass., could be sentenced to life in prison without parole. He had been charged with premeditated murder but the military jury struck the premeditation element from the verdict.

Hutchins stood rigidly and stared straight ahead in the silent courtroom as the verdict was read. A few minutes later he answered a procedural question with a loud and clear, "Yes, sir."

Prosecutors said that during a nighttime patrol in Hamdania, Iraq, in April 2006, Hutchins' squad hatched a plan to kidnap and kill a suspected insurgent from his house. When they couldn't find him, they instead kidnapped a man from a neighboring house, dragged him to a hole and shot him.

Prosecutors said squad members tried to cover up the killing of Hashim Ibrahim Awad by planting a shovel and AK-47 by his body to make it look like he was an insurgent planting a bomb.

Several witnesses testified the plot was born out of frustration after suspected insurgents kept evading prosecution.

The squad was pulled from the battlefield after the slaying.

Lawyers for Hutchins argued that he participated in the plot because his own officers had set a poor leadership example and given approval for Marines to use violence in capturing and interrogating suspected insurgents.

In another base courtroom Thursday, a sentencing hearing was under way for a member of the squad convicted Wednesday of conspiracy and lesser crimes but acquitted of premeditated murder and kidnapping.

Cpl. Marshall Magincalda, 24, of Manteca, faced up to life in prison. He was also found guilty of larceny and housebreaking, and cleared of making a false official statement.

Magincalda was not accused of firing any shots, but was charged with murder for participating in the plot.

A military psychiatrist testified Magincalda developed post-traumatic stress disorder and severe depression as a result of combat.

"He was essentially a broken shell," Dr. Jennifer Morse said. "This was a young man who was gone, who was clearly haunted by his memories."

At the hearing, Magincalda stood flanked by his attorneys to thank the jury and apologize, sounding devastated by events of the last 15 months.

"I would like to think I will go on to do good things in my life and can leave a better impression than that which I have right now," Magincalda said, his voice repeatedly breaking and tears welling.

All eight members of the squad were initially charged with murder and kidnapping.

Four lower-ranking Marines and a Navy corpsman cut deals with prosecutors in exchange for their testimony and received sentences ranging from one to eight years in prison.

A jury last month acquitted another corporal of murder but convicted him of conspiracy to commit murder and kidnapping. According to testimony, Cpl. Trent Thomas of Madison, Ill., had greater involvement in the killing than Magincalda. Thomas was sentenced to a reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge but no prison time.

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Casualties of War.

LiberalNation
08-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Murder, this wasn't in a fight. They were pissed and frustrated and took it out on a potentially innocent person. Ya know if we are going to call Saddam and the terrorists bad we should act better and in this case we did. The soldiers who did this were punished. That says a lot about our military that they can police themselves.

Mr. P
08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Murder, this wasn't in a fight. They were pissed and frustrated and took it out on a potentially innocent person. Ya know if we are going to call Saddam and the terrorists bad we should act better and in this case we did. The soldiers who did this were punished. That says a lot about our military that they can police themselves.
Don't forget it.

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Who cares.

LiberalNation
08-02-2007, 05:35 PM
So your a terrorist then. Purposly killing innocents under the guise of war is okay with you.

Kathianne
08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Who cares.

Just about all of us. Seriously, we can't have members of the military frustrated at not being able to make their case, taking it out on innocents. Anymore than we would want our police that may fail to prove enough for a conviction of gangbangers, taking it out on innocent community members.

Mr. P
08-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Who cares.

As a former serviceman I care.

Like Kathianne said, "we can't have members of the military frustrated at not being able to make their case, taking it out on innocents".

Have you ever heard of My Lai ? I care a lot!

JohnDoe
08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Just about all of us. Seriously, we can't have members of the military frustrated at not being able to make their case, taking it out on innocents. Anymore than we would want our police that may fail to prove enough for a conviction of gangbangers, taking it out on innocent community members.

Damn! You must spread some reputation around....! I owe you one!

Great post!

Mr. P
08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Damn! You must spread some reputation around....! I owe you one!

Great post!

Got er covered, Jane.

82Marine89
08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I still support these Marines. Not having been in their position and not knowing the whole story due to conflicting reports, I still have yet to pass judgment on them.

PostmodernProphet
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I still support these Marines. Not having been in their position and not knowing the whole story due to conflicting reports, I still have yet to pass judgment on them.

a military court, made up of officers who HAVE been in their position, and knowing the whole story through testimony, DID pass judgment on them.....

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Who cares, it's just one less Muslim to have to worry about.

nevadamedic
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
a military court, made up of officers who HAVE been in their position, and knowing the whole story through testimony, DID pass judgment on them.....

The only battle anyone involved in a military court have ever been involved in is in the court room. To stay they have been in this situation is just nuts.

PostmodernProphet
08-03-2007, 06:49 AM
The only battle anyone involved in a military court have ever been involved in is in the court room. To stay they have been in this situation is just nuts.

sorry, you are wrong....the article states he had a military jury trial, that means the people who decided he was guilty were soldiers....not only that, but the article states that the testimony which convicted him was the testimony of his fellow soldiers.....

you put together any group of 150,000 people a certain percentage of them are going to be assholes......the good news is, in the our military we have a system to identify and get rid of the assholes.....

Nukeman
08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Who cares, it's just one less Muslim to have to worry about.
You are such an ass. Weren't you just saying in another thread that if you use the N-word yoru a racist yet you are all for the killing of ALL MUSLIMS!!!!

Get your stories straight. Or once again do you post so friggen much you dont even know what it is you post

Gunny
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Why is it that no matter WHAT it is, if it is negative about the US military you are on it like flies on shit?

You're really rather pathetic with your continued anti-military bullshit and flag-burning avatar.

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
You are such an ass. Weren't you just saying in another thread that if you use the N-word yoru a racist yet you are all for the killing of ALL MUSLIMS!!!!

Get your stories straight. Or once again do you post so friggen much you dont even know what it is you post

:fu:

Nukeman
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
:fu:

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SOOOOO FREAKING FUNNY I FORGOT TO LAUGH....

To use one of your favorite expressions

GET BENT

Hagbard Celine
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Why is it that no matter WHAT it is, if it is negative about the US military you are on it like flies on shit?

You're really rather pathetic with your continued anti-military bullshit and flag-burning avatar.

LiberalNation complimented the military on its ability to police itself. The key word is compliment. Turn the sensitivity down a notch will ya? I'm pretty confident the military can withstand a little criticism now and then without you there to protect it.

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 01:51 PM
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SOOOOO FREAKING FUNNY I FORGOT TO LAUGH....

To use one of your favorite expressions

GET BENT

That is my expression and I didn't give you permission to use it Dillhole.

82Marine89
08-03-2007, 11:03 PM

Since when did Muslim become a race?

Nukeman
08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Since when did Muslim become a race?

Its not!!!!

I'm pointing out the hipocracy of his posts!!! Period....

He post such a high volume of crap he cant keep track. In one thread he calls for tolerance and the next he says to kill them all. He cant make up his freaking mind at all.

I think he has deep seated issues revolving around inclusion and self esteem. Of course this is just my opinion.

Gunny
08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
LiberalNation complimented the military on its ability to police itself. The key word is compliment. Turn the sensitivity down a notch will ya? I'm pretty confident the military can withstand a little criticism now and then without you there to protect it.

Who asked you?