PDA

View Full Version : Julian Assange may get evicted...

jimnyc
02-09-2017, 02:52 PM
That would be hilarious. I wonder if anyone would be waiting for him outside? :) But, as the article states, he's losing by 7 points, so unlikely to happen. But maybe it'll get others thinking and he'll be tossed before long anyway.

-----

Ecuador presidential hopeful pledges to evict Julian Assange from London embassy

After more than four years sheltering sheltering inside Ecuador's embassy in London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange could have limited time left.

Ecuadorian presidential candidate, Guillermo Lasso, of the right wing Creo-Suma alliance has said in an interview with The Guardian that if he won the election, he would "cordially ask Seńor Assange to leave within 30 days of assuming a mandate.”

He added that “the Ecuadorian people have been paying a cost that we should not have to bear.”
Guillaume Long, Ecuador's foreign minister, appeared to be in agreement, stating that “our staff have been through a lot. There is a human cost.”

He went on to compare the situation at the embassy to “something out of a John le Carré novel”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/09/ecuador-presidential-hopeful-pledges-evict-julian-assange-london/

NightTrain
02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
While I appreciate Assange for exposing Hillary and her merry crew of reprobates' corruption, he still needs to face the music.

Once the Swedes are done with him over that rape thing, I think Sessions will have a few things to talk to him about.

Also, I've been wondering if Trump can get Putin to eject young Snowden over the border so he can discuss a few things with our friendly FBI agents. I also appreciate him alerting the American public to nefarious 0bama snooping, but what he did went well beyond whistleblowing into full fledged Espionage.

Noir
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM
He and his lawyers have said they're happy for assange to be extradited to the States, it's for America to make the move to have him extradited.

NightTrain
02-09-2017, 06:43 PM
He and his lawyers have said they're happy for assange to be extradited to the States, it's for America to make the move to have him extradited.

Um, no.

Assange pledged to turn himself over to authorities if 0bama pardoned Bradley Manning, which he did, and then Julian is suddenly not very interested in it.

There's no point in trying to extradite him while he's hiding in Ecuador's embassy in London, is there? Sweden has dibs on him first anyway.

Noir
02-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Um, no.

Assange pledged to turn himself over to authorities if 0bama pardoned Bradley Manning, which he did, and then Julian is suddenly not very interested in it.

There's no point in trying to extradite him while he's hiding in Ecuador's embassy in London, is there? Sweden has dibs on him first anyway.

I don't know we're you read/heard that, but that's not what happened at all, the American offer has not changed (even tho the terms were not met specifically as requested) the only thing that has become clear since is that the UK are refusing to confirm or deny if they have recieved a request from the states.

NightTrain
02-10-2017, 09:57 AM
I don't know we're you read/heard that, but that's not what happened at all, the American offer has not changed (even tho the terms were not met specifically as requested) the only thing that has become clear since is that the UK are refusing to confirm or deny if they have recieved a request from the states.

Start with this story :

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/13/assange-would-agree-to-extradition-if-obama-pardons-manning-wikileaks-says.html

End with this one :

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/24/julian-assange-wikileaks-chelsea-manning-pardon-make-life-hard-the-project

Noir
02-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Start with this story :

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/13/assange-would-agree-to-extradition-if-obama-pardons-manning-wikileaks-says.html

End with this one :

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/24/julian-assange-wikileaks-chelsea-manning-pardon-make-life-hard-the-project

So as I said previously - the ball is in the DOJs court, they need to make the move, Assange can't force the extradition if they are either pretending they haven't made a request, or actually haven't made a request.

jimnyc
02-10-2017, 12:34 PM
So as I said previously - the ball is in the DOJs court, they need to make the move, Assange can't force the extradition if they are either pretending they haven't made a request, or actually haven't made a request.

Regardless - why can't he just offer himself up voluntarily now? He got what he wanted.

NightTrain
02-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Everyone is aware, especially one Julian Assange, that the only thing preventing his extradition to the USA is his hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London. If you read the articles, you'd understand that Assange reneged on his pledge and changed his offer to beyond a simple pardon. I don't think anyone expected him to follow through, but it is amusing to see the dance as he refuses to honor his unsolicited bargain he publicly announced.

You don't seem to grasp the simple fact that going through the motions to extradite him is useless until Ecuador gets tired of the circus and boots him out.

Sweden is first in line, and then we'll have our way with him.

Just a matter of time, and in reality he's imprisoned himself - not that we'll give him credit for that jail time. We're willing to wait.

NightTrain
02-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Oh, and another thing : Julian would have been wise to face the music before Trump got elected. He would have had at least a small chance of skating with 0bama's lawless funkies running the show.

I believe that Trump and Sessions will go hard and deep on Assange. And that's a good thing.

Noir
02-10-2017, 12:57 PM
In order for assange to be extradited to the US, the US need to put in a request, if they haven't already done so (because they are refusing to disclose whether or not they have.)

Noir
02-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Regardless - why can't he just offer himself up voluntarily now? He got what he wanted.

He is. The US either need to send there request or make public the request already made.

NightTrain
02-10-2017, 01:13 PM
In order for assange to be extradited to the US, the US need to put in a request, if they haven't already done so (because they are refusing to disclose whether or not they have.)

What part about waiting until Sweden is done with him don't you get? They're first in line.

NightTrain
02-10-2017, 01:14 PM
He is. The US either need to send there request or make public the request already made.

If you think that the USA cares what an irish vegan liberal thinks we should do, you're sorely deluded.

jimnyc
02-10-2017, 01:44 PM

Why not just walk out and fly here or give himself up? Why does he need a request?

Noir
02-11-2017, 11:46 AM
What part about waiting until Sweden is done with him don't you get? They're first in line.

so you don't want him to be extradited to America right away, fair enough.

If you think that the USA cares what an irish vegan liberal thinks we should do, you're sorely deluded.

If you're going to use a whole post to throw an insult, atleast make sure the post is factually correct. :laugh:

Why not just walk out and fly here or give himself up? Why does he need a request?

Becuase that option is not available to him. The request is needed so the transition can be made and charges known.

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Becuase that option is not available to him. The request is needed so the transition can be made and charges known.

So he may change his mind if he doesn't like the charges?

And yes, he CAN just walk out, he chooses not to.

Noir
02-11-2017, 12:16 PM
So he may change his mind if he doesn't like the charges?

And yes, he CAN just walk out, he chooses not to.

Even if he did 'change his mind after finding out the charges' what difference does that make to the US?

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Even if he did 'change his mind after finding out the charges' what difference does that make to the US?

Because he deserves to be in a US jail.

And lesser - it would show that he lied about giving himself up should manning get let go, if he plans on avoiding extradition if he doesn't suddenly like charges.

Noir
02-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Because he deserves to be in a US jail.

And lesser - it would show that he lied about giving himself up should manning get let go, if he plans on avoiding extradition if he doesn't suddenly like charges.

Well if he deserves to be in jail he should be charged, no?

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Well if he deserves to be in jail he should be charged, no?

Charges can be sealed until arrest. So there very well may be charges already, just not announced. I don't recall him saying he would agree to extradition DEPENDING on the charges, just that he agreed if Manning was released. Why did he change this?

And AGAIN, WHY can't he just walk out and give himself up? Or contact the US and make plans for them to come get him? Or sneak out and go to airport? Or contact London authorities to help him get sent to the USA? he has MANY options.

Noir
02-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Charges can be sealed until arrest. So there very well may be charges already, just not announced. I don't recall him saying he would agree to extradition DEPENDING on the charges, just that he agreed if Manning was released. Why did he change this?

And AGAIN, WHY can't he just walk out and give himself up? Or contact the US and make plans for them to come get him? Or sneak out and go to airport? Or contact London authorities to help him get sent to the USA? he has MANY options.

No one has said "extradition depending on the charges" that was introduced by you, assange and his lawyers have never set such a condition. They have also been clear that they are waiting on the US to move, they can't force them.

If the US want him, they have him, but you can hardly blame assange when it is the US who is doing nothing.

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 02:31 PM
The beauty is - it's good that he wasn't turned over earlier to the other administration, who perhaps may have been more lenient - considering how they handled Manning. Trump has previously stated support for the Hillary stuff - but has also stated in the past that the death penalty should be on the table. And others in his admin feel the same.

And then there's under the radar talk now that Snowden as well may be delivered to the USA from Russia - and the cia director and Trump think the death penalty is in line for him.

I would gladly go to see them both off. :)

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Changes from Assange.... Funny how there was nothing about "immediately" when he made his promise.

----

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is reneging on the promise he made last week to accept extradition to the United States if President Barack Obama granted clemency to Chelsea Manning.

“Mr. Assange welcomes the announcement that Ms. Manning’s sentence will be reduced and she will be released in May, but this is well short of what he sought,” said Barry Pollack, Assange’s U.S.-based attorney, in an email to The Hill on Wednesday.

“Mr. Assange had called for Chelsea Manning to receive clemency and be released immediately.”

Assange initially suggested that he would accept extradition in return for Manning’s commutation in September. His standing offer, which was tweeted on Thursday, did not mention anything about Manning being released immediately.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/18/julian-assange-reneges-on-promise-to-accept-extradition-if-chelsea-mannings-sentence-is-commuted/

Noir
02-11-2017, 02:41 PM
http://www.salon.com/2017/01/18/julian-assange-reneges-on-promise-to-accept-extradition-if-chelsea-mannings-sentence-is-commuted/

0,o
The source you just posted says in the same page
"Assange is reneging on the promise he made last week..."
and
"A member of Assange’s legal team (http://www.salon.com/2017/01/17/the-latest-wikileaks-hails-commutation-of-manning-sentence/) told the Associated Press on Wednesday that “everything that he has said he’s standing by,” further suggesting that he was prepared to be extradited"

So you're welcome, to square that circle.

jimnyc
02-11-2017, 03:23 PM
So you're welcome, to square that circle.

So then - you agree, NOTHING was stated about "immediately" pertaining to Manning, and that's changed since his initial offer. Circle that too! But I'm looking forward to the days that him and Snowden are put to death, or at the very least - put in supermax prisons for the rest of their lives, kept in cells 23 hours of the day and allowed 1 hour of sunlight.

Elessar
02-11-2017, 04:51 PM
So then - you agree, NOTHING was stated about "immediately" pertaining to Manning, and that's changed since his initial offer. Circle that too! But I'm looking forward to the days that him and Snowden are put to death, or at the very least - put in supermax prisons for the rest of their lives, kept in cells 23 hours of the day and allowed 1 hour of sunlight.

There is a really cozy spot in Colorado: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence

Russ
02-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Everyone is aware, especially one Julian Assange, that the only thing preventing his extradition to the USA is his hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London. If you read the articles, you'd understand that Assange reneged on his pledge and changed his offer to beyond a simple pardon. I don't think anyone expected him to follow through, but it is amusing to see the dance as he refuses to honor his unsolicited bargain he publicly announced.

You don't seem to grasp the simple fact that going through the motions to extradite him is useless until Ecuador gets tired of the circus and boots him out.

Sweden is first in line, and then we'll have our way with him.

Just a matter of time, and in reality he's imprisoned himself - not that we'll give him credit for that jail time. We're willing to wait.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! You are making a simple point, NT, that Noir seems to be refusing to acknowledge. Assange made an offer to the US, through the media, that if Bradley/Chelsea Manning were pardoned, then Assange would turn himself over to the US. For some reason, spineless Obama went ahead and pardoned Manning (even though the guy was guilty of treason) within a few days of the offer. Assange reneged on the offer the next day. And its not just because he doesn't think he can make it to the US without getting arrested in the UK. He made a statement, that he now needs to "think it over" and now he doesn't think he's actually going to turn himself in. He's a liar, a felon, an renege-jerk.

Noir
02-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Regardless of the detail of the terms 'immediately' 'clemency' 'pardon' etc that have been debated in detail - Assanges representatives were very quick to state that even though things weren't done exactly the way they would have wanted that there offer still stood. Like literally the source you quoted says so.

At at no point has assange or any representative of his said that they were withdrawing the deal, last was mentioned was that they were waiting for the DoJ, and they have done...nothing.

Russ
02-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Regardless of the detail of the terms 'immediately' 'clemency' 'pardon' etc that have been debated in detail - Assanges representatives were very quick to state that even though things weren't done exactly the way they would have wanted that there offer still stood. Like literally the source you quoted says so.

At at no point has assange or any representative of his said that they were withdrawing the deal, last was mentioned was that they were waiting for the DoJ, and they have done...nothing.

You sound like Assange's lawyer.

Elessar
02-12-2017, 12:07 AM

I think he wants him to move in with him.:laugh:

Black Diamond
02-12-2017, 02:06 AM
I think he wants him to move in with him.:laugh:
Assange and a couple jihadis. :).

Noir
02-12-2017, 05:00 AM

Probably because I'm repeating what the lawyer has said, which is what the position still is. It is others who are posting 'he has reneged' or 'he has broken the deal' etc when no source of or from Assange is saying that.

I dont understand what theUS have to gain by remaining silent on the issue, but apparently that's what they're doing

jimnyc
02-12-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm confident he hasn't been forgotten, and that eventually he'll have to face justice. And hopefully it'll be 50x worse than sitting in the same embassy building for years. And then we can hope that Snowden comes back too. Hopefully 2 corpses, but if not, hopefully 2 supermax attendees who eventually go crazy from the isolation.

gabosaurus
02-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Trump once of Assange and Wikileaks: "disgraceful, I think there should be like death penalty or something."

Elessar
02-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Trump once of Assange and Wikileaks: "disgraceful, I think there should be like death penalty or something."

So? Espionage and betraying secure information? He has admitted what he did,
now he just might have to pay the piper.

Noir
02-14-2017, 12:37 AM
So? Espionage and betraying secure information? He has admitted what he did,
now he just might have to pay the piper.

We'll see, if the US ever bothers to getting round to requesting Assange. I think Wikileaks are right to be confident in their expected US case. A media distributior is not liable for the means by which a source obtains information. I believe there is precedent law regarding this in the states.

Elessar
02-14-2017, 12:46 AM
We'll see, if the US ever bothers to getting round to requesting Assange. I think Wikileaks are right to be confident in their expected US case. A media distributior is not liable for the means by which a source obtains information. I believe there is precedent law regarding this in the states.

No, there is a positive one. It is called an SF-87 Non-disclosure agreement. If Assange got information from
files and hackers, there had to be inside assistance.

None the less, Federal Law will allow him to be hunt down and put o trial.

Noir
02-14-2017, 06:41 AM
No, there is a positive one. It is called an SF-87 Non-disclosure agreement. If Assange got information from
files and hackers, there had to be inside assistance.

None the less, Federal Law will allow him to be hunt down and put o trial.

When did Assange sign this 'SF-87 Non-disclosure agreement?'

jimnyc
02-14-2017, 09:52 AM
So confident that he crawls into a hole for years and refuses to come out. Yup, that SCREAMS confidence to me! :laugh2: