PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs. Fios

jimnyc
02-18-2017, 03:38 PM
So I currently get 20mbps download, and 5mbps upload. We also have telephone from the cable company. Not TV. So it's $99 for that internet, and home telephone which we never use. Now, for an additional $10 I can get 100mbps download and 35mbps upload. For $20 extra, an incredible 200mbps down, but still 35mbps upload. But I would want the 100. So that would be $10 in addition to our current $99. We have had this FOREVER so no current discounts.

BUT BUT BUT

I see a commercial and then look it up, I can get Verizon Fios for $79.99

And that's for 100mbps both down and up. That includes the telephone AND the TV. I don't need TV, no way I get rid of Directv. But it's still all cheaper.

I'm going to call them on Monday, my cable company, and tell them that Verizon is nagging me, and it's MUCH cheaper, and can they give me at least the better internet than I currently have, or I'm bailing.

Think they'll bite? I really DON'T want to leave, don't wanna fix something that isn't broken, I just want the much faster speeds, and hopefully not get ripped off!!

jimnyc
02-18-2017, 03:42 PM
And for $30 more I can get 300mbps download!!! Dang, that's FAST!!

pete311
02-18-2017, 03:46 PM
I use Sling with my Roku

jimnyc
02-18-2017, 03:57 PM
I use Sling with my Roku

WTF is that? I thought sling was for watching TV or whatever remotely? I heard of Roku, also TV stuff, no?

I'm thrilled with Directv and all the tv for that fact. We never use the home phone. So really all I want is the internet upgrade. Currently at 20/5 - but both services offer MUCH better.

darin
02-21-2017, 02:01 AM
Kodi on Firestick - or even better - AppleTV is pretty incredible. Jim, I can live-stream tv (not super well thanks to my wireless being only about 16-18mb/S) and watch almost every show broadcast, new release movies - some movies still in the theaters (although most of those are some guy holding a video camera at the screen) - but tons of HD and even up to 4k movies and shows. $149 for the apple TV, $0 to load Kodi and you'd be all set. No more TV bills. Ever.

gabosaurus
02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
I use Sling with my Roku

We have a Roku. It is wonderful for watching sports. We don't have Sling, but do have another such service. We get the Bundesliga (German pro soccer, which my mom is devoted to) and foreign language programming. I believe it is $49 per month. Much better than our last cable service, which was over $100 per month.

I was tempted by Fios, until I saw the fine print. It is $79 per month for the intro offer, then goes up to $99 per month. Like all cable services, it will likely entail yearly price hikes.

We use AT&T for internet and cell phones. I think we get 20 mps down. Which is sufficient for streaming, since we never download anything and no one plays games. I think we pay $99 per month for internet, four phone lines and land line. My husband gets a free security package through his company, which includes all sorts of security. If you have Firefox, try Tor Pro and IS. :cool: