PDA

View Full Version : Barrow, Alaska

NightTrain
02-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Tomorrow I'm off to do a job up in Barrow for at least 5 days. I should be able to get a few pics of polar bears roaming around there, if I end up with any free time I'll go out and make it happen. I won't have my trusty .375 with me, so I won't be too adventurous. Homie has a healthy respect for bears.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9695&stc=1

It should be almost completely dark 24/7 this time of year but there will be a twilight for a couple of hours... we'll see how it goes.

Kathianne
02-19-2017, 04:06 PM
That is so cool! Hope the pics are possible.

Elessar
02-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Anxious to see any pics you can get.

Safe Paths!

Abbey Marie
02-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Yay for pics!

Russ
02-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Wow, very cool! I'd love to do that - for just 5 days, and with Abbey coming along.

Take lots of pictures! Are you doing work for one of the oil companies?

Abbey Marie
02-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Wow, very cool! I'd love to do that - for just 5 days, and with Abbey coming along.

Could be dangerous- I'd stupidly want to go cuddle these guys

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9696&stc=1

NightTrain
02-19-2017, 07:56 PM

Not directly, but yeah... we're adding bandwidth, new equipment, more fiber, better power backup.

Should be a pretty straightforward job, and if it is we'll be out exploring a bit with the cameras.

At least this time I won't miss out on Christmas! Errr... I'd better not.

darin
02-21-2017, 01:55 AM
I love your job, NT. Hiring anyone to do plucky comic relief for your trip?

Elessar
02-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Could be dangerous- I'd stupidly want to go cuddle these guys

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9696&stc=1

Hell....you might get 'cuddled' by Mama Bear!:laugh:

Elessar
02-21-2017, 01:46 PM
The USCG is trying to increase its presence in Northern Alaska with the melt-off
of the ice cap recently.

I just hope Congress will increase the budget to allow that and put all 3 Polar
Icebreakers back on line.

Almost got stationed in Kodiak on the Security Force. My orders got cancelled when
some idiot Hospital Corpsman lost my medical record.

jimnyc
02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Tomorrow I'm off to do a job up in Barrow for at least 5 days. I should be able to get a few pics of polar bears roaming around there, if I end up with any free time I'll go out and make it happen. I won't have my trusty .375 with me, so I won't be too adventurous. Homie has a healthy respect for bears.

It should be almost completely dark 24/7 this time of year but there will be a twilight for a couple of hours... we'll see how it goes.

I'm waiting on the bears, make it happen!

NightTrain
02-24-2017, 11:44 AM
We pushed til about 1am this morning, got everything wrapped up.

Didn't get a chance to go zoom around and take many pics, but I may get a chance today if we can't catch the early flight out of here. -4 and snowing sideways, almost a whiteout condition right now so we'll see how AK Airlines handles it... they're usually pretty good about bad weather operations.

At least it's warmed up a bunch - couple days ago it was -30 and blowing 25 mph. Any exposed skin was in immediate danger of frostbite.

Hopefully tonight I'll be back in Wasilla... I've had enough of the extreme winter for now.

Abbey Marie
02-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Didn't get a chance to go zoom around and take many pics, but I may get a chance today if we can't catch the early flight out of here. -4 and snowing sideways, almost a whiteout condition right now so we'll see how AK Airlines handles it... they're usually pretty good about bad weather operations.

At least it's warmed up a bunch - couple days ago it was -30 and blowing 25 mph. Any exposed skin was in immediate danger of frostbite.

Hopefully tonight I'll be back in Wasilla... I've had enough of the extreme winter for now.

Safe travels! Will your wife worry?

NightTrain
02-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Safe travels! Will your wife worry?

No, not really. She's done this kind of thing herself and knows how it works. The pilots and equipment AK Airlines has is top notch - if we make it on the airplane we're golden.

Interesting tidbit about the daylight here - I was wrong about the amount. There's more daylight - counting twilight - here, now, than at home. Summer is coming fast!

Russ
02-24-2017, 08:41 PM

Congrats on getting all that work done. I would have enjoyed being part of the crew, and would have brought my favorite redhead.

Do me a favor - if you get the early flight and don't get any pictures, don't tell us and then post some fake pictures to go with your stories. Or even fake pictures with fake stories. Russ needs something out of this trip!

Abbey Marie
02-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Congrats on getting all that work done. I would have enjoyed being part of the crew, and would have brought my favorite redhead.

Do me a favor - if you get the early flight and don't get any pictures, don't tell us and then post some fake pictures to go with your stories. Or even fake pictures with fake stories. Russ needs something out of this trip!

Lol! Fake news has gotten to you, ey?

Kathianne
02-24-2017, 09:06 PM

:laugh2:

NightTrain
02-24-2017, 09:46 PM

Just got back, feels great to be home.

I got some pics, but nothing spectacular - the bears are hard to spot in a white out! As it turns out, there's a hotline when there's a Polar Bear getting close to town and it's dealt with - it would be a bad situation for a bus stop full of kids and a hungry bear.

And I just remembered I never posted the Kodiak pics... I'll do that tomorrow. I haven't properly hammered Jim's bandwidth lately.

NightTrain
02-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Oh, and as it turns out, I'll be going back up there in a couple weeks.

Better buy yourselves some good winter gear and book tickets for March 7th!
Russ Abbey

And don't forget to bring me my lobster. That's the deal.

Abbey Marie
02-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Oh, and as it turns out, I'll be going back up there in a couple weeks.

Better buy yourselves some good winter gear and book tickets for March 7th!
@Russ (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3576) @Abbey (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=11)

And don't forget to bring me my lobster. That's the deal.

Seriously, I would sooo do this! And be happy to have some of that King Crab, too.

But you really need to have the lobster fresh out of the Atlantic. And preferably in Maine.

NightTrain
02-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Seriously, I would sooo do this! And be happy to have some of that King Crab, too.

But you really need to have the lobster fresh out of the Atlantic. And preferably in Maine.

You're only a half hour away from Maine, right? Swing by and pick some up!

Black Diamond
02-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing these picks on my bigger screen. Looking at life up over. :)

Abbey Marie
02-26-2017, 01:25 PM
You're only a half hour away from Maine, right? Swing by and pick some up!

Nah, more like 10 hours away. :( We go up there 2-3 times per year, though.

NightTrain
02-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to seeing these picks on my bigger screen. Looking at life up over. :)

I posted the pics in another thread : http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?58402-Barrow-Alaska-Trip