PDA

View Full Version : Threw my back out

jimnyc
02-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Really not 100% sure how. I was in the truck, turned my head to the right to say goodbye to someone getting out, and that's all she wrote. Had trouble driving and almost crawled into the house. I look like a troll if I walk around as I can't stand up straight. Been trying to sleep on my side, but of course it wakes me up if I move at all. I'm using a mop as a cane when trying to move around in the house. :(

hjmick
02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
You don't want to go see a doctor or anything about it... that's what snowflakes do...

pete311
02-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Could be a bulging disk. See a doctor.

Gunny
02-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Really not 100% sure how. I was in the truck, turned my head to the right to say goodbye to someone getting out, and that's all she wrote. Had trouble driving and almost crawled into the house. I look like a troll if I walk around as I can't stand up straight. Been trying to sleep on my side, but of course it wakes me up if I move at all. I'm using a mop as a cane when trying to move around in the house. :(

Welcome to the club, MFer. Should hear the names my daughter calls me going up and down the stairs. At least I have a real cane instead of a cleaning utensil.

Go to the doctor, dipstick. You're like having a 3rd grandchild.

Elessar
02-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Roll up a beach towel, stick it under your back and sleep flat on your back, not sideways.
Put it under your lower back just above the hips. Add another pillow under your head
to breathe easier.

Been there, done that...plenty of T-shirts.

Yeah...as above...go see a Doc and get an orthopedic appointment. Mine
is a compressed disc. I threw something heavy the wrong way!!

aboutime
02-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Though I know, personally, how that pain feels from many years.

You might want to listen to us now. Remember the last time?
You asked for advice. We told you what to do. DID YOU DO IT?

Only you can answer that. My apologies for sounding so harsh, but DAMN MAN.
All the remedies in the world....FROM HERE ON DP, will not make the pain go away.
You need PROFESSIONAL, MEDICAL HELP.

I have had 3 different surgeries over the years. THEY WORKED.
Only you can decide. GOOD LUCK.

Abbey Marie
02-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Go to the doctor!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-20-2017, 09:20 PM
I HAVE HAD THREE MAJOR BACK INJURIES IN MY LIFE. They are always serious business! Go to a doctor, amigo....
Get proper care/advice and some really, really good pain killers.
About once a year my back gives me living hell for up seven to ten days. I have a regular regime, that comes into play and if not too badly injured, it works...
Lift nothing heavier than a coffee cup until you are healed up.. -Tyr

Elessar
02-20-2017, 10:41 PM
I HAVE HAD THREE MAJOR BACK INJURIES IN MY LIFE. They are always serious business! Go to a doctor, amigo....
About once a year my back gives me living hell for up seven to ten days. I have a regular regime, that comes into play and if not too badly injured, it works...

Shit, Robert...

Mine bugs me every day.

tailfins
02-20-2017, 10:52 PM

If you threw your back out, I hope you have a spare or you'll have no back at all. :laugh: Can you still retrieve your back from the trash or has it already been taken away?

Little-Acorn
02-21-2017, 01:47 PM
The others are right: Go see a doctor. Like yesterday.

He may or may not be able to do anything. But you won't be any worse off. And you just may be better.

I hope your subsequent silence in this thread after your OP means that you're in a doctor's office and away from your computer.

Several years ago I had something similar. Was working on a car, sitting down and lifting heavy parts, and also had pneumonia (which I didn't know till later). Was coughing a fair amount while doing all this.

Back was very sore as I went to bed that night. And at 5:00AM in the morning, very painful back spasms, where the sore muscles (or whatever they were) were involuntarily tightening up, which made them hurt worse, which made them rapidly tighten up more, which made them hurt worse, etc. etc., each complete cycle going for 20-30 seconds until it finally stopped tightening and relaxed a little. To be repeated in 10 or 15 minutes.

That's not quite what you have, you didn't mention muscle tightening over and over. I've had some of the non-tightening kinds too. wound up wearing a neck brace for a while when I was 20-something.

The most good was done for me, by a doctor who specialized in athletic injuries. He sprayed some super-cold spray on the muscle area (may not work for you if your muscle is deep down I guess) and massaged it pretty hard for minutes on end. More cold spray, more massage. To my astonishment I could straighten up and walk almost normally after 15 minutes of that. Still hurt, but it wasn't nearly as bad. And it got slowly better for the next several days.

Another doctor also told me that Advil (ibuprofen) often helped in such cases. Advil doesn't cure anything, of course, it just makes the symptoms go away (or lessen) for a while. But such painful muscles are often cause by muscle fibers getting irritated by something, then they swell up and rub against each other, irritating each other even more, an endless cycle. Advil brings down the swelling and lessens the pain (temporarily of course)... and stops that endless cycle until the Advil wears off.

My doc told me to take three 200mg Advil every four hours (that's more than is recommended on the bottle, but doctors' orders take precedence), for a week straight. The idea was to reduce the swelling so that the body can then remedy the initial irritation by itself (that DOES cure things). Damned if it didn't work!

When you get your ass back from the doctor's office (I hope), let us know how it goes.

Elessar
02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
If the spine is out of alignment, a good orthopedic can can manipulate it back
to correct. Or a Physical Therapist can as well.

jimnyc
02-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the concern, advice and feedback! Getting it taken care of. Much better today too. Better as in I can walk a little better without pain, and stand upright a little more without the pain.

Standing in the hot shower and letting it beat down on my back for as long as I can take it works wonders. Also, when laying down, I lay on either side and put one of the little pillows I have between my legs. Not only is it comfortable, but it seems to make my back feel much better when I stand back up after awhile.

But one thing I can't do is use the internet while in bed. Not sure why, I can just never adjust to that. I can use my Ipad for like 5 minutes to READ a few sites. But if trying to type, I get like 5 words written and feel like whipping that thing against the wall, I hate it.

Elessar
02-21-2017, 02:09 PM
If you threw your back out, I hope you have a spare or you'll have no back at all. :laugh: Can you still retrieve your back from the trash or has it already been taken away?

Missed this one!

Funny reply TF!:laugh:

Black Diamond
02-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the concern, advice and feedback! Getting it taken care of. Much better today too. Better as in I can walk a little better without pain, and stand upright a little more without the pain.

Standing in the hot shower and letting it beat down on my back for as long as I can take it works wonders. Also, when laying down, I lay on either side and put one of the little pillows I have between my legs. Not only is it comfortable, but it seems to make my back feel much better when I stand back up after awhile.

But one thing I can't do is use the internet while in bed. Not sure why, I can just never adjust to that. I can use my Ipad for like 5 minutes to READ a few sites. But if trying to type, I get like 5 words written and feel like whipping that thing against the wall, I hate it.
Don't let anyone talk you into back surgery. And may I suggest a keyboard for your iPad? Get well soon head honcho.

Gunny
02-21-2017, 03:07 PM
The others are right: Go see a doctor. Like yesterday.

He may or may not be able to do anything. But you won't be any worse off. And you just may be better.

I hope your subsequent silence in this thread after your OP means that you're in a doctor's office and away from your computer.

Several years ago I had something similar. Was working on a car, sitting down and lifting heavy parts, and also had pneumonia (which I didn't know till later). Was coughing a fair amount while doing all this.

Back was very sore as I went to bed that night. And at 5:00AM in the morning, very painful back spasms, where the sore muscles (or whatever they were) were involuntarily tightening up, which made them hurt worse, which made them rapidly tighten up more, which made them hurt worse, etc. etc., each complete cycle going for 20-30 seconds until it finally stopped tightening and relaxed a little. To be repeated in 10 or 15 minutes.

That's not quite what you have, you didn't mention muscle tightening over and over. I've had some of the non-tightening kinds too. wound up wearing a neck brace for a while when I was 20-something.

The most good was done for me, by a doctor who specialized in athletic injuries. He sprayed some super-cold spray on the muscle area (may not work for you if your muscle is deep down I guess) and massaged it pretty hard for minutes on end. More cold spray, more massage. To my astonishment I could straighten up and walk almost normally after 15 minutes of that. Still hurt, but it wasn't nearly as bad. And it got slowly better for the next several days.

Another doctor also told me that Advil (ibuprofen) often helped in such cases. Advil doesn't cure anything, of course, it just makes the symptoms go away (or lessen) for a while. But such painful muscles are often cause by muscle fibers getting irritated by something, then they swell up and rub against each other, irritating each other even more, an endless cycle. Advil brings down the swelling and lessens the pain (temporarily of course)... and stops that endless cycle until the Advil wears off.

My doc told me to take three 200mg Advil every four hours (that's more than is recommended on the bottle, but doctors' orders take precedence), for a week straight. The idea was to reduce the swelling so that the body can then remedy the initial irritation by itself (that DOES cure things). Damned if it didn't work!

When you get your ass back from the doctor's office (I hope), let us know how it goes.

Never hurt my back. My spine anyway. Messed up some muscles at times.

That pneumonia is some sneaky-ass shit. That's how I ended up so sick is not knowing I had it. I was out lifting weights the day before I got a stay-cation and lost more weight than Marie Osmond.

Weird how docs are. when I was in the Corps, ibuprofen was the cure-all for everything. We called it grunt candy. In the civilian hospital they wouldn't let me have it. Said it was bad for me. I was looking at all these tubes sticking out of me pumping me full of who knows what and thinking "Really? :laugh: "

Kathianne
02-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Ibuprofen is dangerous with high blood pressure, especially if used in a regime. Aspirin too, which is why I take low dose, under doctor supervision.

Abbey Marie
02-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I'll bet that Napoleon could knead your back just right.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sHC3xmSuk08/hqdefault.jpg

Kathianne
02-21-2017, 03:29 PM
I'll bet that Napoleon could knead your back just right.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sHC3xmSuk08/hqdefault.jpg

Ouch!

LongTermGuy
02-21-2017, 03:33 PM

Like Robert above...been there...Take it easy for awhile...lay flat on your back...a few hot soaks...Then apply cold pack along with Ibuprofen (double up) (its fine)

Caint be running to the Doctor for everything....Give your self and body a chance first to heal up....4-5 days..if no workie...then go see a Doctor ...they love money.... :cool:

~ "Let thy inner man, findeth bravery" ~

LongTermGuy
02-21-2017, 05:30 PM
​Or.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23v9wC8L1cs

Elessar
02-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Like Robert above...been there...Take it easy for awhile...lay flat on your back...a few hot soaks...Then apply cold pack along with Ibuprofen (double up) (its fine)

Caint be running to the Doctor for everything....Give your self and body a chance first to heal up....4-5 days..if no workie...then go see a Doctor ...they love money.... :cool:

~ "Let thy inner man, findeth bravery" ~They put me on steroids and muscle relaxers
at first. They began to make me sick, so I flushed them.

darin
02-23-2017, 04:28 AM
Has to be TRUMP's fault.

Gunny
02-23-2017, 02:20 PM

~ "Let thy inner man, findeth bravery" ~

You're talking to the anti-going to the doctor guru here. And I can't take pain meds. Last time I did that I thought I was Superman and just hurt myself worse. Downside to that attitude cost me a few months laying in a bed with nothing BUT doctors around me. I'm not looking for round 2 if I can help it.