PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid immigration arrests

gabosaurus
02-23-2017, 12:27 AM
My cousin and her husband are staying with us tonight. He is an immigration attorney. She is a social worker. They have been giving public information seminars on how Latinos can avoid confrontations with ICE. I knew you guys would be interested. :rolleyes:

Since ICE are technically law enforcement, they often represent themselves as police. If they knock on your door, ask them if they are from immigration. They have to tell you.
ICE are not allowed to enter your home unless you invite them in. Ask them what their business is. If they refuse to answer, or want to enter, ask them for a valid warrant signed by a judge. The warrant must list a person currently living at your specified address. If no warrant is produced, refuse them permission to enter and state that you are ending the conversation. If agents force their way into your house, do not resist. Say "I am not consenting to you entering." Invoke your right to remain silent and ask for an attorney.
Do not sign anything, agree to anything or give any statement without an attorney present.
If you are at work or in a public place, the same rules apply. ICE must present a court issued warrant signed by a judge. If you are arrested, do not resist. Invoke your right to remain silent and ask for an attorney.
ICE are not allowed to enter schools without a specific warrant. Advise your children not to speak to anyone without a parent and an attorney present.
Do not discuss your immigration status with anyone. If you are unsure of your rights, contact an attorney or the ACLU.