PDA

View Full Version : Never volunteer!

Bilgerat
02-24-2017, 11:13 AM
NEVER VOLUNTEER!

Words you hear in boot camp and are further emphasized throughout the time you spend in service. This position is never challenged for good reasons.

Yet, I forgot them for a brief moment yesterday.

So what happened? While talking to the Doctor who will soon cut into my chest for open heart surgery, he brought up the methods of “harvesting” the veins he will need from my legs. Currently, they make a small incision; send in a probe, snip (and tug) to remove the vein that is needed. Or they make several small incisions which allow the removal via hands on.

The first system has a minute chance of damaging the veins and the VA would like me to participate in a survey of which type of removal is better. If I would participate, the final decision of removal will be made by needs of the program the day of the operation.

And here is the moment of forgetfulness. I said yes.

So all stop on forward progress, out comes REAMS of forms for me to sign. AND I MUST speak with the controller of the survey who proceeds to tell me the exact same thing my Chest Cutter just said. The off to yet MORE tests, halting what should be my meeting with the gas passer and taking the whole day's procedure into serious overtime.

At 13:00 I called a halt for a bite to eat, since Cheryl and I had been in motion since 05:00 that morning and all we had was a single egg muffin sandwich.

Then, back to yet more poking and prodding, blood draws, x-rays, and such. The fun continued until 15:00 (or so), when they could no longer find anything more to do.

But the fun continues as we enter rush hour traffic in Miami.

The Butcher’s Bill? A 12 plus hour day, 260 miles travelling, enduring high speed traffic on the turnpike and Miami rush hour traffic (both A/M and P/M).

ETA on the surgery is 21 Mar

Elessar
02-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Well, best of luck to you, Old Friend.

Keep us posted?

Abbey Marie
02-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Vein removal methodology aside, as a recent heart attack recipient myself, I know how serious it all is and feels. I will pray for successful surgery and recuperation on March 21st.

You got this!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51407735e4b0f56ab2dbebcc/t/54d27ecde4b02e000ded6a4e/1423081170262/

Kathianne
02-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Egg McMuffin and heart surgery? LOL! Just kidding, at 5 am that is what I'd gulp down too!

Bilgerat
02-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Well, best of luck to you, Old Friend.

Keep us posted?

You Betcha! :salute:

Vein removal methodology aside, as a recent heart attack recipient myself, I know how serious it all is and feels. I will pray for successful surgery and recuperation on March 21st.

You got this!

Feeling pretty comfortable, thanks! :coffee:

Egg McMuffin and heart surgery? LOL! Just kidding, at 5 am that is what I'd gulp down too!

Made the things meself, here at Casa Rat before trudging out. I can't do Micky D's anymore :laugh:

Gunny
02-24-2017, 05:04 PM
NEVER VOLUNTEER!

Words you hear in boot camp and are further emphasized throughout the time you spend in service. This position is never challenged for good reasons.

So what happened? While talking to the Doctor who will soon cut into my chest for open heart surgery, he brought up the methods of “harvesting” the veins he will need from my legs. Currently, they make a small incision; send in a probe, snip (and tug) to remove the vein that is needed. Or they make several small incisions which allow the removal via hands on.

The first system has a minute chance of damaging the veins and the VA would like me to participate in a survey of which type of removal is better. If I would participate, the final decision of removal will be made by needs of the program the day of the operation.

So all stop on forward progress, out comes REAMS of forms for me to sign. AND I MUST speak with the controller of the survey who proceeds to tell me the exact same thing my Chest Cutter just said. The off to yet MORE tests, halting what should be my meeting with the gas passer and taking the whole day's procedure into serious overtime.

At 13:00 I called a halt for a bite to eat, since Cheryl and I had been in motion since 05:00 that morning and all we had was a single egg muffin sandwich.

Then, back to yet more poking and prodding, blood draws, x-rays, and such. The fun continued until 15:00 (or so), when they could no longer find anything more to do.

The Butcher’s Bill? A 12 plus hour day, 260 miles travelling, enduring high speed traffic on the turnpike and Miami rush hour traffic (both A/M and P/M).

You are not allowed to die, motherfucker. I see no proper paperwork, an AA form nor anything. Dying without permission is insubordination.

You're one of my favorite people. God be with you.

Bilgerat
02-24-2017, 06:39 PM
You are not allowed to die, motherfucker. I see no proper paperwork, an AA form nor anything. Dying without permission is insubordination.

You're one of my favorite people. God be with you.

Roger that, there is no plan to cease functioning at this time

And Thanks Gunny! :salute:

aboutime
02-24-2017, 08:31 PM
NEVER VOLUNTEER!

Prayers are with you Bilgerat. As for volunteering to do this. The Docs did the same to me in 2009. I'm still here, with all the scars from my left leg, and the one in my groin they did before my QUADRUPLE heart bypass.
The Docs know what they are doing these days. Our kind of Heart operations are as frequent now as the Tonsils, and that lousy Appendix, useless thingy.
Stay strong, Stay confident. Family and friends, with prayers...even if you don't believe in them....REALLY DO WORK.
God Bless.

Bilgerat
02-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Prayers are with you Bilgerat. As for volunteering to do this. The Docs did the same to me in 2009. I'm still here, with all the scars from my left leg, and the one in my groin they did before my QUADRUPLE heart bypass.
The Docs know what they are doing these days. Our kind of Heart operations are as frequent now as the Tonsils, and that lousy Appendix, useless thingy.
Stay strong, Stay confident. Family and friends, with prayers...even if you don't believe in them....REALLY DO WORK.
God Bless.

Quadruple is what I'm heading for too. I understand the Dr. is one of the best in Miami, so the "sweat factor" is less.

We've locked this around the time that the Lady is off (her school spring break) and the youngest daughter has volunteered to come down and help out also.

Thanks for your thoughts and all of your prayers. I got nothing but faith! :salute:

SassyLady
02-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Prayers headed your way for you and family, Bilgerat. Good luck.

Gunny
02-25-2017, 05:31 AM
Roger that, there is no plan to cease functioning at this time

And Thanks Gunny! :salute:

Where exactly in Miami are you going? Jackson Memorial? I know that place like the back of my hand. Before Gunny was even a Pvt I delivered pizzas for a living in Cutler Ridge. Among other nefarious acts. :) I DO still have a contact or two. If you need anything, you let me know and I'll see what I can do.

CSM
02-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Good luck, br!!!

Bilgerat
02-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Prayers headed your way for you and family, Bilgerat. Good luck.

Thank you Young Lady :salute:

Where exactly in Miami are you going? Jackson Memorial? I know that place like the back of my hand. Before Gunny was even a Pvt I delivered pizzas for a living in Cutler Ridge. Among other nefarious acts. :) I DO still have a contact or two. If you need anything, you let me know and I'll see what I can do.

It's happening at the VA Hospital, right next to Jackson. They're even putting up the Lady in the Fisher House for the duration. Thanks for the offer though! :beer:

Good luck, br!!!

Thanks CSM! :salute:

Gunny
02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Thank you Young Lady :salute:

It's happening at the VA Hospital, right next to Jackson. They're even putting up the Lady in the Fisher House for the duration. Thanks for the offer though! :beer:

Thanks CSM! :salute:

That's actually one place there I don't know where it is. I was a dependent then and we lived on Homestead and that's where I went to the doc. I've always had active duty/retired military care. I was born in a USAF hospital. My daughter uses the VA. I guess I got survivor's guilt. I know I could go get some money out of them. I think there are people that need and deserve it more than I do. Long as I keep up the Tricare payments I can walk right on base and I'm covered. Pain in the butt, but it is what it is. Retirees are LAST on the priority list. :laugh: No gushing artery? Bring a book. AND your glasses.:laugh:

And dude ... stock up on some sleep pants. The comfortable kind. Comfy pair of sneaks. Some tee's. All you're going to need. If you leave that to them, you're not going to be happy. They dig crap out of the lost and found for you. At least you are going to have family with you. That's a total plus. They can bring you stuff.

Bilgerat
03-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Quick update

Still on track for 21 Mar, but the Doc threw in a quick curve. Seems he didn't like my blood tests so now I have to get an ultrasound on my liver this Wednesday.

AND it's a fasting test, so I get to go hungry from 24:00 Tuesday till after the test.

Test is at 08:30 in West Palm, I live one hour + from there, so after the test I'll ready to eat the south bound end of a north bound skunk

Not to mention, I'll be operating without lifer juice! :cof:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Prayers for your quick and successful recovery. My brother at Christmas time went through very serious heart surgery, which turned out as good as possible. I had heart surgery back in 2009, doing well myself.
Important is self motivation and desire to stay with family and the world as long as possible.
Especially, in regards to new diet regime after surgery my friend..
Stay positive as these days they have great success in heart surgeries..
May God bless you and your entire family in this medical treatment, during and afterwards ..-Tyr

Kathianne
03-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Prayers for you, B. I went through a much less serious surgery last Spring, less than a week before they insisted I get an EKG prior. Now considering it had been planned well in advance and they knew of my high blood pressure, one would think they'd have thought of that before? I swear the docs just don't want one at ease or something. LOL! Seriously, good luck with the test!