PDA

View Full Version : Trump's speech to congress tonight

jimnyc
02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
So who's tuning in? Anyone? :)

There will be live streams from youtube later that can be shared, if anyone prefers to watch while they surf!

The Dems want to make this a protest show, so I'm really really hoping that Trump gives a good speech, and makes them stand out.

As for Trump, let's see what info he shares tonight. ---- I understand that he will be releasing a new EO tomorrow for the immigration ban or whatever you want to call it, but of course redone to fit in with what the courts had an issue with. And hopefully an update on the wall. And an update on how illegals will be handled. Everyone knows this is the main topic of the first month, he should address it head on.

Any update on the SCOTUS? When will that begin? He should point out on such a stage how he was previously appointed unanimously.

What are his goals for the upcoming 6 months to one year, so we can track the bastard?

Economy. Any specifics as to what we are going to see? And tax changes?

Obamacare update?

And will he use this time to address the media as he's done in the past week?

On the attack, or more of an update and expectations?

Will he tell the buffoon aka Pelosi to shove it? :)

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 06:52 PM

There will be live streams from youtube later that can be shared, if anyone prefers to watch while they surf!

The Dems want to make this a protest show, so I'm really really hoping that Trump gives a good speech, and makes them stand out.

As for Trump, let's see what info he shares tonight. ---- I understand that he will be releasing a new EO tomorrow for the immigration ban or whatever you want to call it, but of course redone to fit in with what the courts had an issue with. And hopefully an update on the wall. And an update on how illegals will be handled. Everyone knows this is the main topic of the first month, he should address it head on.

Any update on the SCOTUS? When will that begin? He should point out on such a stage how he was previously appointed unanimously.

What are his goals for the upcoming 6 months to one year, so we can track the bastard?

Obamacare update?

I will be watching, providing I don't fall asleep early. I was just going to post a thread, so glad you beat me to it.

Several things I'm going to be watching for:

First, it's being reported within the past few hours that he may be open to some sort of 'legalization without citizenship' for illegals with no crimes in their background, (the 'good' ones). DACA kids would be open for citizenship seems to be the compare and contrast.

Second, how much spending? We've heard his promise of $1T on infrastructure during the campaign. Now another $54B in military spending (which seems to be needed, compared to the first promise which IMO should be up to the individual states). On the revenue side I've heard 'deep, across the board cuts on everything BUT entitlements. Problem is, that certainly won't add up to cover the spending on just the two spending sides mentioned, regardless of how 'deep.'

Entitlements are the problem to the deficit, just as pensions are to the states.

Those two big topics will be my primary focus. After that it will be on style and the Democrats behaviors.

Black Diamond
02-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Senator from South Carolina yelled "Liar" at Obama and was crucified for the privilege. Let's watch dems' decorum.

aboutime
02-28-2017, 07:11 PM
I will. For the first time in all of our nearly 48 years. My lady is actually paying attention to what is taking place. She likes Trump, as I do.
So, we will be watching just to see how DISRESPECTFUL the left side of the Chambers can be. I've heard a few Congress-critters from the left say they RESPECT the position, but not the Man. I remember saying that about Obama. So, nothing new.

But today. The big difference is. Unlike Obama. Trump will be telling the TRUTH.:salute:

pete311
02-28-2017, 07:25 PM
He's already backtracking on immigration and healthcare
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/trump-immigration-bill/index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/politics/trump-concedes-health-law-overhaul-is-unbelievably-complex.html

Drummond
02-28-2017, 07:34 PM
I will be watching (and recording it, too). The BBC is scheduled to relay it on their News channel (channels 130 and 107 (HD version), Freeview).

From the reports we're getting here, President Trump will concentrate on matters which are intended to strengthen the US ... militarily, and matters to do with your country's security.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think he's doing a great job ! I wish we had any British politicians here who had anything like his drive and sheer unashamed patriotism. I envy you all !!

The man's an inspiration.

BoogyMan
02-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Obamacare update?

It is going to be a zoo. Every mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging hairy-toed troglodyte in the media will be making self congratulatory denouncements of Trump's commentary no matter what he says or does. I have to wonder what they will do if a democrat shouts something at Mr. Trump during his speech. They tried to crucify Joe Wilson for the "you lie" comment aimed at Mr. Obama, but my money would go on them having very short memories if one of their heros of the resistance tries to shout down Mr. Trump.

Just my 2 cents that when inflation is considered, isn't worth much! :)

aboutime
02-28-2017, 08:13 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/politics/trump-concedes-health-law-overhaul-is-unbelievably-complex.html

Poor, Poor, deranged Petey. Your blood type is PMSNBC, with a permanent injection system of CNN stupidity, and your DEPENDS are full of Liberal LEMON Kool-aid that not even your BROWN stained panties can hide.
What a miserable life you are pretending to live. It's a wonder you haven't rejected the MUTUAL AIR we all breathe...if it wasn't for your lack of honesty. You might be a good kind of animal to visit at the zoo, in the monkey house.
Pay attention to TRUMP tonight. When he looks to HIS RIGHT, he will be looking at your old Mom Nancy the Witch Pelosi.

Black Diamond
02-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Wonderful to see pence up there instead of Biden

Black Diamond
02-28-2017, 08:55 PM
If he were uncompromising, you'd be playing the Hitler card. Oh wait. You're quoting cnn. He's Hitler anyway.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 09:24 PM
He is looking and sounding pretty presidential, actually has his jacket closed. Good start.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 09:48 PM
"Paid family leave..."

Who gonna pay? Let's guess.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Ok, tears here. The widow of the Seal killed in Yemen raid. Obviously she does not agree with her father-in-law. My heart goes out to her.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 10:10 PM
I liked the line, 'there are no high paying jobs without high skills productivity.' IOW, get some education. Doesn't have to be college, but you got to have skills.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Just listening to Bret Baier saying the applause for the Seal's widow was the most sustained. Really was moving.

All in all, there wasn't much to criticize. He was not out of control and didn't go over the top with hyperbole. Refreshing.

He is a big spender, doesn't seem to fear in any way adding to the deficit. That I do have problems with. So, nothing new other than his demeanor.

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 10:38 PM
text of speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/donald-trump-speech-transcript-full-text/

Kathianne
02-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Beginning to read the text. I know I didn't expect this opening:

Tonight, as we mark the conclusion of our celebration of Black History Month, we are reminded of our Nation's path toward civil rights and the work that still remains. Recent threats targeting Jewish Community Centers and vandalism of Jewish cemeteries, as well as last week's shooting in Kansas City, remind us that while we may be a Nation divided on policies, we are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms.

Continuing the opening, almost Reaganesque:

That torch is now in our hands. And we will use it to light up the world. I am here tonight to deliver a message of unity and strength, and it is a message deeply delivered from my heart.A new chapter of American Greatness is now beginning.
A new national pride is sweeping across our Nation.
And a new surge of optimism is placing impossible dreams firmly within our grasp.
What we are witnessing today is the Renewal of the American Spirit.
Our allies will find that America is once again ready to lead.
All the nations of the world -- friend or foe -- will find that America is strong, America is proud, and America is free.

and then, he returns to Trump:

But then the quiet voices became a loud chorus -- as thousands of citizens now spoke out together, from cities small and large, all across our country.Finally, the chorus became an earthquake -- and the people turned out by the tens of millions, and they were all united by one very simple, but crucial demand, that America must put its own citizens first ... because only then, can we truly MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Several times he reached across the aisle, here's one:

Solving these, and so many other pressing problems, will require us to work past the differences of party. It will require us to tap into the American spirit that has overcome every challenge throughout our long and storied history.

and several times he brought up more protectionism, even quoting a popular President that wasn't all that focused on trade during his two terms. My reading of 'fair trade' isn't exactly conservative or pro-trade

that it is very hard to do business with other countries because they tax our goods at such a high rate. They said that in one case another country taxed their motorcycles at 100 percent.They weren't even asking for change. But I am.
I believe strongly in free trade but it also has to be FAIR TRADE.
The first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln, warned that the "abandonment of the protective policy by the American Government [will] produce want and ruin among our people."
Lincoln was right -- and it is time we heeded his words. I am not going to let America and its great companies and workers, be taken advantage of anymore.

To launch our national rebuilding, I will be asking the Congress to approve legislation that produces a $1 trillion investment in the infrastructure of the United States -- financed through both public and private capital --- creating millions of new jobs.
This effort will be guided by two core principles: Buy American, and Hire American.

Again reaching out, though it seems an unlikely area of agreement:

Obamacare is collapsing --- and we must act decisively to protect all Americans. Action is not a choice --- it is a necessity.So I am calling on all Democrats and Republicans in the Congress to work with us to save Americans from this imploding Obamacare disaster.

and another:

My administration wants to work with members in both parties to make child care accessible and affordable, to help ensure new parents have paid family leave, to invest in women's health, and to promote clean air and clear water, and to rebuild our military and our infrastructure.

True love for our people requires us to find common ground, to advance the common good, and to cooperate on behalf of every American child who deserves a brighter future.

one more:

Education is the civil rights issue of our time.

I am calling upon Members of both parties to pass an education bill that funds school choice for disadvantaged youth, including millions of African-American and Latino children. These families should be free to choose the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school that is right for them.

LongTermGuy
02-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Ok, tears here. The widow of the Seal killed in Yemen raid. Obviously she does not agree with her father-in-law. My heart goes out to her.

I seen her....Bless her heart....she was `close with her Husband` and understood...a special moment ..watching her....She has NO Liberal Values....and doesn't Parrot Liberal talking points....God Bless her...

**The speech was Fantastic....and I agree many talking heads making comments on it...the best one so far ....The Dem`s were rushing out at the end looking for CNN Cameras ...Their But hurt was apparent and strong....

Gunny
02-28-2017, 11:54 PM
I seen her....Bless her heart....she was `close with her Husband` and understood...a special moment ..watching her....She has NO Liberal Values....and doesn't Parrot Liberal talking points....God Bless her...

**The speech was Fantastic....and I agree many talking heads making comments on it...the best one so far ....The Dem`s were rushing out at the end looking for CNN Cameras ...Their But hurt was apparent and strong....

God bless her and her family.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 12:06 AM
My basic takeaway from this evening is that he bought himself more time with those willing to give him a chance. That would be those who really thought he would be a disaster as president, but want him to succeed, even though they didn't vote for him.

I've watched more of his speeches than I wish to consider, this was by far his best. He stayed on message, which was overarching throughout the entire speech. He found very good writers, but he actually delivered on it. Not a string of partial phrases, that led into another partial phrase. He spoke in complete sentences which I personally found refreshing. As I said earlier, the lack of hyperbole was so much easier to listen to. I wasn't mentally rolling my eyes every few seconds.

He seemed reasonable and amiable even with the Democrats sitting when he was articulating support for things that are part of their agenda, which really was silly. I figure they are confused, as much so as many Republicans that were clapping for some of the big spending.

I'm still of the mindset that while I agree with many of his issues, there are many more that I believe will be bad for the country, especially those regarding big spending, not getting entitlements under control, and his isolationist stances on trade.

On the positive side, I agree with the President is the leader of our country, not the world. Likewise on policeman of the world, though keeping order is in our self-interest, way more cost effective than war. I'm for strong borders, just not sold on 'the wall' though a 'fence' now seems to be a synonym for the former. That concession, along with the beefing up of boots on the ground, drones in the air, and enough folks to monitor the video from the drones can only be good things.

I'm also for vetting anyone coming into the country, though the first attempt was so very mishandled. I'm just hearing the new one will not be released tomorrow, in order not to step on the messages he sent tonight. I do hope the 2nd go round is much improved.

Time for me to get to sleep, will be interesting to see what others are saying tomorrow.

darin
03-01-2017, 05:30 AM
I listened to about 15 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. It's become campaigning.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 06:15 AM
I listened to about 15 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. It's become campaigning.
I could understand that if I'd been a supporter. I really had to discipline myself to listen to what he said, even if he had delivered it in his normal way. Luckily, it wasn't unpleasant or distracting. I wanted to give him a fair hearing, I think I came as close as I can.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Just saw this, don't know if the number counts are correct, but tend to think they are. That's change we can appreciate:

https://twitter.com/AHMalcolm?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Andrew Malcolm‏Verified account @AHMalcolm (https://twitter.com/AHMalcolm)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 8h8 hours ago (https://twitter.com/AHMalcolm/status/836783186403217408)</small><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: -2px -9px 0px 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 2px 9px; position: relative;">More
</button>

W/those 4825 words 2night Donald Trump seized the U.S. presidency. He owns it. He referred to himself 35 times and to We Americans 136 times

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm not the only 'non-Trumpian' who liked the speech. Just saw a former Obama give the speech an 'A' on Fox & Friends, granted she checked it as a 'Trump A' saying 'low expectations, but an A is an A.

Now this from Van Jones:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/321722-van-jones-on-trumps-honoring-of-widow-of-navy-seal-trump-became

Van Jones praised President Trump for honoring the widow of a Navy SEAL killed during a raid in Yemen, saying "he became president of the United States in that moment. Period.""There are a lot of people who have a lot of reason to be frustrated with him, to be fearful of him, to be mad of him, but that was one of the most extraordinary moments you have ever seen in American politics period," Jones said on CNN.

Jones, a liberal commentator who frequently criticizes Trump, said the president did something "extraordinary."

"And for people who had been hoping he would become unifying, hoping that he might find someway to become presidential, they should be happy with that moment," Jones said."For people who have been hoping that maybe he would remain a divisive cartoon, which he often finds a way to do, they should be a little bit worried tonight. Because that thing you just saw him do, if he finds a way to do that over and over again, he's going to be there for eight years."

Jones noted that Trump made a lot of statements during his speech that are "counterfactual" and that he opposes.
"But he did something tonight that you cannot take away from," he said. "He became president of the United States."

Gunny
03-01-2017, 07:46 AM
I watched a basketball game. More entertaining. More intellectually challenging.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 07:49 AM
I watched a basketball game. More entertaining. More intellectually challenging.

So you should be posting in sports, no?

Actually it was informative, if not entertaining.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 07:56 AM
My basic takeaway from this evening is that he bought himself more time with those willing to give him a chance. That would be those who really thought he would be a disaster as president, but want him to succeed, even though they didn't vote for him.

I've watched more of his speeches than I wish to consider, this was by far his best. He stayed on message, which was overarching throughout the entire speech. He found very good writers, but he actually delivered on it. Not a string of partial phrases, that led into another partial phrase. He spoke in complete sentences which I personally found refreshing. As I said earlier, the lack of hyperbole was so much easier to listen to. I wasn't mentally rolling my eyes every few seconds.

He seemed reasonable and amiable even with the Democrats sitting when he was articulating support for things that are part of their agenda, which really was silly. I figure they are confused, as much so as many Republicans that were clapping for some of the big spending.

I'm still of the mindset that while I agree with many of his issues, there are many more that I believe will be bad for the country, especially those regarding big spending, not getting entitlements under control, and his isolationist stances on trade.

On the positive side, I agree with the President is the leader of our country, not the world. Likewise on policeman of the world, though keeping order is in our self-interest, way more cost effective than war. I'm for strong borders, just not sold on 'the wall' though a 'fence' now seems to be a synonym for the former. That concession, along with the beefing up of boots on the ground, drones in the air, and enough folks to monitor the video from the drones can only be good things.

I'm also for vetting anyone coming into the country, though the first attempt was so very mishandled. I'm just hearing the new one will not be released tomorrow, in order not to step on the messages he sent tonight. I do hope the 2nd go round is much improved.

Time for me to get to sleep, will be interesting to see what others are saying tomorrow.

Looks like the report I heard was true:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/trump-travel-ban-visa-holders/index.html

Gunny
03-01-2017, 08:04 AM
So you should be posting in sports, no?

Actually it was informative, if not entertaining.

Nope. OP asked f I was going to watch some dumbass politician give a speech. My response is I watched a basketball game. Y'all take this crap too seriously. Gonna watch an egghead run his mouth for 2 hours? Nope. Some of y'all crack me up acting like it matters what politicians promise.

Sorry. Wasn't giving away that 2 hurs of my life.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Nope. OP asked f I was going to watch some dumbass politician give a speech. My response is I watched a basketball game. Y'all take this crap too seriously. Gonna watch an egghead run his mouth for 2 hours? Nope. Some of y'all crack me up acting like it matters what politicians promise.

Sorry. Wasn't giving away that 2 hurs of my life.

One for the records, Trump called an egghead!

pete311
03-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Given the speech was addressed to a technical congress I suppose I understand the desire for the speech to be more technical. It was written more to the american public.

Abbey Marie
03-01-2017, 09:50 AM
First of these speeches I've watched in 8 years.

Very well done.

:clap:

i just thought of a business opportunity- run tour groups to the wall when it's done.

aboutime
03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Personally. I loved the speech. As for the entertainment value too many people needed by watching something else. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA TODAY.

Instant gratification, entertainment, and 15 minutes of fame outweigh becoming personally responsible for your own life.

BoogyMan
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
God bless her and her family.

It was heartbreaking. Except for Hillary's former staffers, they were calling the woman an idiot. A bullet was dodged by the Hildebeast losing the election.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9753&stc=1

Elessar
03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
It was heartbreaking. Except for Hillary's former staffers, they were calling the woman an idiot. A bullet was dodged by the Hildebeast losing the election.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9753&stc=1

It was very moving and DT was very gracious to the lady.

This Grilo just made himself look like a hating fool.

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
It was very moving and DT was very gracious to the lady.

This Grilo just made himself look like a hating fool.

He got what I figured he would. http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?58433-Dan-Grilo&p=858432#post858432 :laugh2:

jimnyc
03-01-2017, 07:38 PM
I didn't watch the speech last night, but watched a replay today. I don't think he, nor the speech were perfect, but both were perfect for him. I think he was respectful and left the trash talking at home, even if for a night. I think he laid out fairly well what he wants to get done. I always hate that up and down clapping crap. I would rather hear the entirety of the speech without all of that, but it's always the same. What I was hoping for was there, that he look presidential, and he did IMO.

But yep, the ovation to Owen's wife was the best part. I was touched right from the get go, in the ovation itself, and then seeing it in her face. But then it kept going. Some sat after a spell, a spell that was already longer than most. But then the president upped the clapping, you could hear it in the microphone, and it was as if the folks on the right got louder in their clapping. I'm not sure how long that ovation was, but it was a touching tribute to the wife of a fallen hero, from both sides of the aisle. I don't recall ever seeing one like that before in front of congress like that.

Some fears will be set aside, especially with the new order being backed off on for now. Let's see how this all pans out going forward. Start with the wall. :)

Kathianne
03-01-2017, 09:00 PM
I didn't watch the speech last night, but watched a replay today. I don't think he, nor the speech were perfect, but both were perfect for him. I think he was respectful and left the trash talking at home, even if for a night. I think he laid out fairly well what he wants to get done. I always hate that up and down clapping crap. I would rather hear the entirety of the speech without all of that, but it's always the same. What I was hoping for was there, that he look presidential, and he did IMO.

But yep, the ovation to Owen's wife was the best part. I was touched right from the get go, in the ovation itself, and then seeing it in her face. But then it kept going. Some sat after a spell, a spell that was already longer than most. But then the president upped the clapping, you could hear it in the microphone, and it was as if the folks on the right got louder in their clapping. I'm not sure how long that ovation was, but it was a touching tribute to the wife of a fallen hero, from both sides of the aisle. I don't recall ever seeing one like that before in front of congress like that.

Some fears will be set aside, especially with the new order being backed off on for now. Let's see how this all pans out going forward. Start with the wall. :) Started a new thread about the wall funding. Posts were moved to new thread.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?58438-Will-The-Wall-Get-Funded&p=858459#post858459