PDA

View Full Version : Attorney General Jeff Sessions recuse himself from campaign probes, Russia questions

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
https://gma.yahoo.com/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-recusing-himself-campaign-probes-211404980--abc-news-topstories.html#

Attorney General Jeff Sessions to recuse himself from campaign probes amid Russia questions
Good Morning America By MEGHAN KEN

Attorney General Jeff Sessions will recuse himself from any existing or future probes related to any campaigns for president, he said today.

The move comes after it was reported Wednesday night that Sessions had two meetings with the Russian ambassador to the U.S. in 2016 after he started supporting Donald Trump's presidential bid and then failed to disclose the contacts during his confirmation hearing.

"Let me be clear: I never had meetings with Russian operatives or Russian intermediaries about the Trump campaign," Sessions told reporters. "And the idea that I was part of a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries to the Russian government are false."

In a statement, Sessions said that over the last several weeks he has been meeting with "relevant senior career department officials" over whether he should recuse himself and "having concluded those meetings today, I have decided to recuse myself from any existing or future investigations of any matters related in any way to the campaigns for president of the United States."

Timeline of Jeff Sessions' connections with the Russian ambassador

Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing exchange o … Play video
Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing exchange on …

Trump has 'total' confidence in Sessions amid Russia controversy

For Donald Trump Jr., lingering questions about meeting with pro-Russia group

Sessions held a press conference this afternoon about the decision, saying that his reply to Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., during his confirmation hearing for attorney general "was honest and correct as I understood it at the time."

"In the end, I have followed the right procedure, just as I promised the committee I would," Sessions said of the decision to recuse himself.

"A proper decision, I believe, has been reached," he said.
Jeff Sessions didn't disclose Russian meetings … Play video
Jeff Sessions didn't disclose Russian meetings …

Earlier today in Virginia, Trump said he had "total" confidence in Sessions, "probably did" answer questions truthfully and didn't think Sessions should recuse himself. A White House official dismissed the matter as "the latest attack against the Trump administration by partisan Democrats."

A Department of Justice official said Wednesday night that Sessions had two contacts with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak — one with members of his staff on Sept. 8 (which was listed on his public schedule) and one after giving a speech to the Heritage Foundation in July.

Michael Flynn, Trump's former national security adviser, resigned after misleading the vice president and other White House officials about contacts with the Russian ambassador.

Asked about the nature of the September meeting on Thursday, Sessions told reporters, "I don't recall any particular political discussions."

He said that he didn't remember a lot of the meeting but that "I do remember saying I had gone to Russia with a church group in 1991."
Democrats call on Jeff Sessions to resign Play video
Democrats call on Jeff Sessions to resign

"So we talked a little bit about terrorism, as I recall. Somehow the subject of the Ukraine came up," he said. "I had the Ukrainian ambassador in my office the day before to listen to him. Nothing that — Russia had done nothing that was wrong in any area and everybody else was wrong with regard to the Ukraine. It got to be a little bit of a testy conversation at that point."

The DOJ official said Wednesday that during the 2016 campaign, ambassadors would make "superficial comments" about the election but it wasn't the "substance of their discussion."

Sessions told reporters he didn't recall having met Kislyak any other times. "It's possible. I'm on the armed services committee," he said. "Things happen. I don't recall having met him before that."

He also said "I don't believe so" when asked if he met with any other Russian officials since endorsing Trump.

Sessions became the first sitting senator to endorse Trump, in February 2016, and became the chairman of his national security advisory committee the next month.
View gallery
Attorney General Jeff Sessions recusing himself from …
Attorney General Jeff Sessions recusing himself from campaign probes (ABC News)

A DOJ spokeswoman said in a statement Wednesday night saying that the meetings came as part of Sessions' role at the time as a senator on the Armed Services Committee and that his answers during the confirmation process were not "misleading."

During his confirmation hearing for attorney general in January, Sessions said that he "did not have any communications with the Russians."

On Thursday, Sessions conceded, "Retrospect, if — I should have slowed down and said, 'But I did meet one Russian official a couple times." That would be the ambassador."

When Sessions recuses himself from a matter, the responsibility to oversee any DOJ issues in the scope of the recusal will fall to the deputy attorney general.

The deputy attorney general nominee, Rod Rosenstein, currently the U.S. attorney for Maryland, has not been confirmed yet, however. His confirmation hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, March 7.

Until that appointment is made, the acting deputy attorney general, Dana Boente, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, will likely be the person responsible at the DOJ.

After a recusal by Sessions, the deputy attorney general or acting deputy will have the authority to appoint a special counsel.

Where was this demand to recuse for Kagan, when obamacare issue went into the Supreme Court!!??
ThaTs right , she refused to recuse herself, when her involvement in obamacare under obama was a far greeeeeeeeater transgression.
As always THE LOUSY DEMS get by with such , and force Republicans to walk a extremely strict plank..
When will this ffing shit stop??
Kagan -no honor to do so on her own and no damn demand made..
Now we let this ffing dems do this-- they need to be horsewhipped as they are pure scum..-Tyr

pete311
03-02-2017, 06:19 PM
hip hip hipocrisy

Gunny
03-02-2017, 06:30 PM
hip hip hipocrisy

I think it's a pussy move myself. I'd be like FU. Shove it up your a$$.

But really ... this all you leftwingers got? Y'all have hit the water worse than I thought. And don't get me wrong ... unlike others .. I ain't paying attention to anything but the implosion on the left. I love good comedy. Y'all are like the Keystone Cops. Oh Damn, what do I do, George?

I'm loving watching y'all flail around like toddlers in a 4 ft pool. You deserve it. Payback's a bitch.

aboutime
03-02-2017, 07:44 PM
hip hip hipocrisy

petey. You fool. You did it again. We all know. If Sessions hadn't recused himself, YOU and all the other LIBERAL HATERS would have said the same thing...HIP HOP HYPOCRISY.

You should read a book called "CATCH 22". Or better yet...Learn what DAMNED IF YOU DO, and DAMNED IF YOU DON'T mean.

The only hypocrite on this thread is LITTLE, MINDLESS, YOU.

pete311
03-02-2017, 07:46 PM
You should read a book called "CATCH 22". Or better yet...Learn what DAMNED IF YOU DO, and DAMNED IF YOU DON'T mean.

I read it

Elessar
03-02-2017, 07:52 PM
petey. You fool. You did it again. We all know. If Sessions hadn't recused himself, YOU and all the other LIBERAL HATERS would have said the same thing...HIP HOP HYPOCRISY.

The only hypocrite on this thread is LITTLE, MINDLESS, YOU.

Just another self-important and meaningless one-line, AT.

BoogyMan
03-02-2017, 08:12 PM
hip hip hipocrisy

Did you call for the resignation or recusal of Loretta Lynch over the secret meeting with Clinton? If not, physician heal thyself.

aboutime
03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
My apologies for being steered from the topic of this thread by petey. But imagine now, now really angry, disappointed, and miserable the LEFTIES are with Sessions doing the Recusal? They have to be beside themselves, without being able to DEMAND that the A.G. follow his word. UNLIKE HOLDER, and LYNCH, both of whom the LEFT Ignored, and pretended they were obeying the LAWS????

BoogyMan
03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
My apologies for being steered from the topic of this thread by petey. But imagine now, now really angry, disappointed, and miserable the LEFTIES are with Sessions doing the Recusal? They have to be beside themselves, without being able to DEMAND that the A.G. follow his word. UNLIKE HOLDER, and LYNCH, both of whom the LEFT Ignored, and pretended they were obeying the LAWS????

He just showed them he is 100X the AG that Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch were. The media will still try to destroy him.

gabosaurus
03-02-2017, 08:19 PM
The Senate asked Sessions a very simple question: "Did you meet with anyone from Russia?" His answer was "no."
This thread is not about any other person in any other hearing or investigation. It's about the nation's highest-ranking law enforcement officer lying to Congress.
You can defer, obfuscate and change the subject all you want. Sessions lied to cover up his ass. He should resign.

aboutime
03-02-2017, 08:24 PM
The Senate asked Sessions a very simple question: "Did you meet with anyone from Russia?" His answer was "no."
This thread is not about any other person in any other hearing or investigation. It's about the nation's highest-ranking law enforcement officer lying to Congress.
You can defer, obfuscate and change the subject all you want. Sessions lied to cover up his ass. He should resign.

gabby. Only you, and everyone who hates Trump believes Sessions Lied.
That's how SICK all of you are. Of course. We are sure. YOU have never forgotten every meeting, and every word you have ever said during your LONG, BORING, HATE-FILLED pretend Life of misery!!
So...I present this to you, as I did to petey.

The Hatch Act of 1939, officially An Act to Prevent Pernicious Political Activities, is a United States federal law whose main provision prohibits employees in the executive branch of the federal government, except the president, vice-president, and certain designated high-level officials of that branch, from engaging ...
Hatch Act of 1939 - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_Act_of_1939

BoogyMan
03-02-2017, 08:29 PM

That is NOT what was asked but don't look it up and certainly don't attempt to be truthful. Franken asked about anyone from the campaign speaking with the Russians in the course of the campaign. Now, to a well read human being with functioning frontal lobes this is a question about the campaign colluding with the Russians. To a left winger, hands still covered in feces from the last poo that was flung against the bars, this is a gotcha that would even preclude the work Sessions would be doing and would ignore the other >20 ambassadorial contacts he made as part of his work as a senator.

aboutime
03-02-2017, 08:35 PM

gabby. Of course, you are correct, according to you. So tell us. Where was all of your DEMANDS, and COMPLAINTS during the Obama years, when HOLDER, and LYNCH intentionally BROKE LAWS, and ignored the Constitution???

Would you like to comment HONESTLY on that?

KarlMarx
03-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Where was this demand to recuse for Kagan, when obamacare issue went into the Supreme Court!!??
ThaTs right , she refused to recuse herself, when her involvement in obamacare under obama was a far greeeeeeeeater transgression.
As always THE LOUSY DEMS get by with such , and force Republicans to walk a extremely strict plank..
When will this ffing shit stop??
Kagan -no honor to do so on her own and no damn demand made..
Now we let this ffing dems do this-- they need to be horsewhipped as they are pure scum..-Tyr

So we have an accomplished public servant like Jeff Sessions having to bow to an ex-comedian (and a lousy one at that).

And now we have an Obama appointee investigating the so called Russian influence on our elections.... just wonderful.... the outcome is almost certain.

Once these Democrats taste blood, they are going to want more and, mark my words, they will be back for more... eventually going after the President himself.

Why don't we do something constructive for a change? Trump should never have let Hillary Clinton off the hook, let's investigate the Clintons and all their rotten doings, their crimes, the whole enchilada... let's investigate Loretta Lynch, and while we're at it... let's go after Obama.... we should have impeached that rotten bastard when he was president.

pete311
03-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Bookmarking this thread for when you decide to care about perjury.

gabosaurus
03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Sessions said: “I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign, and I did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

jimnyc
03-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Russian Ambassador Visited Obama at the White House 22 Times

With Democrats and their aides in the media insisting that even daring to meet with a Russian official is somehow a fireable offense, a look at visitor logs of the White House during Barack Obama’s presidency reveals Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak visited Obama or his operatives at least 22 times.

The visitor logs, which were put online for all to see, show that between 2009 and 2016, Ambassador Kislyak was a frequent visitor to the White House, the Daily Caller reported.

In fact, the visitor logs document that Russian officials met with Obama’s senior advisor, John Holdren, at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. The logs show that others in the meeting were Marina W. Gross, Alexander Ermolaev, Alexey Lopatin, Vyacheslav Balakirev and Sergey Sarazhinskiy.

Ambassador Kislyak met with several of Obama’s top aides including National Security Council member Gary Samore, terrorism advisor Robert Malley, economic advisor Lawrence Summers, trade representative Michael Froman, and John Holdren.

Kislyak also visited the White House during several holiday events and other such meetings.

Since the left’s accusations against U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a growing group of other Democrat leaders have also been revealed as having “met with Russians.”

Even as she attacked Sessions, Missouri’s Democrat Senator Claire McCaskill insisted she never met with any Russians, but it was later discovered that she talked about meeting Russian officials on her own Twitter feed.

Senator Joe Manchin (D, WV), also noted that he met with Russian officials but noted that he did so while performing his duties as a Senator, just like Sessions had. Indeed, Manchin said just about every Senator has met with Russian officials.

By Thursday afternoon internet sleuths had found at least 30 Democrat Senators who had meetings with Russian officials.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/03/russian-ambassador-visited-obama-white-house-22-times/

gabosaurus
03-03-2017, 01:59 PM
This thread isn't about Obama. Not that I recall Obama telling the Senate that he had no contact with Russian emissaries. But we can always count on breitbart's lapdogs to answer their master's call.

jimnyc
03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
This thread isn't about Obama. Not that I recall Obama telling the Senate that he had no contact with Russian emissaries. But we can always count on breitbart's lapdogs to answer their master's call.

First you nitwits complain that there are too many threads on a particular subject, then you whine it's a different subject. Since this was about Russia, I placed it in here. And now you can read from the outside.

aboutime
03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Bookmarking this thread for when you decide to care about perjury.

Okay petey. You said PERJURY here. NOW PROVE IT!
If you are right, and sure you are right. Then you should have PROOF to backup your accusation about Perjury.

PUT IT OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US TO SEE, OR SHUT YOUR FACE!

Black Diamond
03-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Okay petey. You said PERJURY here. NOW PROVE IT!
If you are right, and sure you are right. Then you should have PROOF to backup your accusation about Perjury.

PUT IT OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US TO SEE, OR SHUT YOUR FACE!

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445416/jeff-sessions-perjury-allegation-meritless-al-franken-congressional-testimony

jimnyc
03-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Obama Admin. Arranged Sessions' First Meeting with Russian Ambassador, Fmr. DOJ Atty. Reveals

It was actually the Obama Administration that set up Senator Jeff Sessions’ (R-Texas) first meeting with a Russian ambassador last year, which Democrats are attempting to demonize, a former Justice Department attorney reveals.

Attorney Hans A. von Spakovsky, former civil rights counsel for the Justice Department who also served two years as a member of the Federal Elections Commission (FEC), lays out the innocuous details of Sessions’ first meeting in his commentary, “Get real, Democrats, there is no good reason for Sessions to resign":

“So what are the two meetings that Sessions had? The first came at a conference on “Global Partners in Diplomacy,” where Sessions was the keynote speaker. Sponsored by the U.S. State Department, The Heritage Foundation, and several other organizations, it was held in Cleveland during the Republican National Convention.

“The conference was an educational program for ambassadors invited by the Obama State Department to observe the convention. The Obama State Department handled all of the coordination with ambassadors and their staff, of which there were about 100 at the conference.”

So, Obama’s State Department not only sponsored the event, but it also invited the Russian ambassador Democrats are now vilifying, thus setting Sessions up to interact with him, Von Spakovsky explains:

“Apparently, after Sessions finished speaking, a small group of ambassadors—including the Russian ambassador—approached the senator as he left the stage and thanked him for his remarks.”

rest here - http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/obama-administration-arranged-sessions-first-meeting-russian-ambassador-fmr-doj

Balu
03-03-2017, 05:19 PM
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" type="button" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply"> </button>

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1980294624/DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpg Donald J. Trump‏ <s>@</s>realDonaldTrump (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump)<small class="time">

(https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837722869106880517) </small> <button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button"><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button"></button>We should start an immediate investigation into <s>@</s>SenSchumer (https://twitter.com/SenSchumer) and his ties to Russia and Putin. A total hypocrite!pic.twitter.com/Ik3yqjHzsA (https://t.co/Ik3yqjHzsA)

</button>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6AwdBWWgAE07ce.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

pete311
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Jim it isn't so much the meeting, it's that he lied.

Black Diamond
03-03-2017, 05:33 PM
He didn't commit perjury. And he isn't going anywhere and neither is trump. You snowflakes can just buy 8 years worth of coloring books.

jimnyc
03-03-2017, 05:35 PM

I don't believe he lied. He was asked if he had been in contact with anyone in the Russian government - about the 2016 election. He responded NO. But yes, he apparently did meet with the Russian ambassador, but no, apparently it had nothing to do with the election. Folks meet with ambassadors and such all the time, as you can see by the articles I have posted. And another article further explains who setup the meeting and what not and why he was there.

Balu
03-03-2017, 05:49 PM
I don't believe he lied. He was asked if he had been in contact with anyone in the Russian government - about the 2016 election. He responded NO. But yes, he apparently did meet with the Russian ambassador, but no, apparently it had nothing to do with the election. Folks meet with ambassadors and such all the time, as you can see by the articles I have posted. And another article further explains who setup the meeting and what not and why he was there.

Convincingly and lucidly, Jim! :clap:

Elessar
03-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Farking snowflakes grasping for smoke with their bare hands, especially in light of
what jimnyc posted.