PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas couple welcomes 17th child

Abbey Marie
08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey, to each her own, but OH MY GOODNESS!

By JILL ZEMAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.

It's a girl — again — for the Duggars. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar welcomed their 17th child, and seventh daughter, into the world Thursday.

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10:01 a.m. at Saint Mary's Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the Duggars said in an interview. Jennifer weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and arrived five days after Michelle's due date.

Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

The oldest is 19 and the youngest, before Jennifer, is almost 2 years old.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Jim Bob Duggar, 42, a former state representative. "We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Jennifer joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

darin
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
If I could say ONE thing to her I'd say: "LADY...it's a UTERUS...NOT a Clown Car!"

jimnyc
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Someone needs to send her a cork!

Abbey Marie
08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
If I could say ONE thing to her I'd say: "LADY...it's a UTERUS...NOT a Clown Car!"

:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Hey! What about the old sperminator known as hubby? He's not exactly keeping it in his pants now.

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

1 hour, 12 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.

It's a girl — again — for the Duggars. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar welcomed their 17th child, and seventh daughter, into the world Thursday.

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10:01 a.m. at Saint Mary's Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the Duggars said in an interview. Jennifer weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and arrived five days after Michelle's due date.

Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," Michelle said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Jim Bob Duggar, 42, a former state representative. "We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Jennifer joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

17 kids damn, I bet they can just walk out at this point, screw pushing................

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM

How could sex for the husband be fun anymore, she has got to be wider the the Grand Canyon down there................

darin
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
...would be like giving a whale a tic-tac, I'd guess.

jackass
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
My mother was the oldest of 17.... :clap:

-Cp
08-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Why?

-Cp
08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
How could sex for the husband be fun anymore, she has got to be wider the the Grand Canyon down there................

Do you have any substantive evidence of that? Or you're just making an ignorant remark?

nevadamedic
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM

A cork might fall out, you would probably have to use something bigger for that woman, like a Watermelon! :laugh2:

-Cp
08-04-2007, 02:10 AM
A cork might fall out, you would probably have to use something bigger for that woman, like a Watermelon! :laugh2:

Once again:

Do you have any substantive evidence of that? Or you're just making an ignorant remark?

nevadamedic
08-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Once again:

Once again, GET BENT :fu:

-Cp
08-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Once again, GET BENT :fu:

What's your problem?

I take it by a lack of a substantive response that you were making an ignorant remark...

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Why?

Because I find it hard to believe that 2 parents can give the appropriate attention and support that would be needed for that many children. And then going on national television as if they are some kind of heroes I find offensive. They're likely doing so in order to make financial gain to help support so many children. They shouldn't have to request donations as they have done in the past. From what I've read, they're monthly income is $2000. I find it hard to believe that the family lives and eats appropriately on such minimal income, unless they are expecting assistance from others, which they do in fact get.

Kathianne
08-04-2007, 01:54 PM
While I couldn't cope with that size of family, odds are you won't see that mom or dad on a messageboard either. There was a time that a family of 8-10 kinds wasn't that unusual, I don't think 17 was ever common though.

I did notice the house is 7000 sq ft +, so money is probably not an issue, not too mention the father was in the state legislature. Odds are they are doing ok financially and are religious.

Most of my friends, (non-Catholics), had at least 4 kids, many 5 or 6. At our home there was just my brother and I, didn't know anyone else with just 2 kids, only 1 friend had 3. My brother and I had much more 'alone' time with our parents, no doubt about that. My dad was the one to take us and as many of our friends that could fit in the car to the public pool, go-carting, or minature golfing.

I remember most of all that while I really liked that my mom would sit down with my friends and I and talk, (my friends still remember that); at my friends houses we 'kids' were treated like part of the family, having to help out with whatever was going on at the time, whether dinner or whatever. At our house, friends were to be treated as 'guests', meaning we had to offer drinks, snacks, whatever-and get them.

I think it's possible to raise such a brood, but jeez you have to be way more laid back than I've ever been.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
While I couldn't cope with that size of family, odds are you won't see that mom or dad on a messageboard either. There was a time that a family of 8-10 kinds wasn't that unusual, I don't think 17 was ever common though.

I did notice the house is 7000 sq ft +, so money is probably not an issue, not too mention the father was in the state legislature. Odds are they are doing ok financially and are religious.

Most of my friends, (non-Catholics), had at least 4 kids, many 5 or 6. At our home there was just my brother and I, didn't know anyone else with just 2 kids, only 1 friend had 3. My brother and I had much more 'alone' time with our parents, no doubt about that. My dad was the one to take us and as many of our friends that could fit in the car to the public pool, go-carting, or minature golfing.

I remember most of all that while I really liked that my mom would sit down with my friends and I and talk, (my friends still remember that); at my friends houses we 'kids' were treated like part of the family, having to help out with whatever was going on at the time, whether dinner or whatever. At our house, friends were to be treated as 'guests', meaning we had to offer drinks, snacks, whatever-and get them.

I think it's possible to raise such a brood, but jeez you have to be way more laid back than I've ever been.

What a tax deduction they have because of the kids

-Cp
08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Because I find it hard to believe that 2 parents can give the appropriate attention and support that would be needed for that many children. And then going on national television as if they are some kind of heroes I find offensive. They're likely doing so in order to make financial gain to help support so many children. They shouldn't have to request donations as they have done in the past. From what I've read, they're monthly income is $2000. I find it hard to believe that the family lives and eats appropriately on such minimal income, unless they are expecting assistance from others, which they do in fact get.

So - with all due respect jim - you're placing your inabilities of being able to provide attention on them? Really? Wow... What is that "magical number" Jim of "too many kids to provide attention for"?

They can be heroes if they churn out 17 good citizens - only time will tell. What is "living and eating appropriately"? Who and what defines that? Does your definition make it true for them?

OCA
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
So - with all due respect jim - you're placing your inabilities of being able to provide attention on them? Really? Wow... What is that "magical number" Jim of "too many kids to provide attention for"?

They can be heroes if they churn out 17 good citizens - only time will tell. What is "living and eating appropriately"? Who and what defines that? Does your definition make it true for them?

-cp I see your point but seriously, in today's economic enviroment, 17 kids? Hopefully the dad is heir to the Wal-Mart fortune.

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Hell, I have enough trying to contain one little 6 year old running rampant around my house! Children are deserving of LOTS of time, love, energy, participation, teaching... If they can do it, I stand corrected. But I don't see enough time in a day to do so.

Whether or not they must remain hungry at times. Do they have enough income to properly put food on the table to keep the kids properly nourished. Do the kids have enough clothing. Do they have time to run the kids around to play sports, see their friends, enjoy activities... I can only imagine when the time comes for these kids to entertain the thought of going to college. It's projected to cost me well over $100k to send my son to a decent college by the time he is of age. Even with community colleges, can you imagine what the costs would be? I hope they won't have to have their education reduced beyond their capabilities simply because it's not afforded because of too many other children.

Of course they might get plenty of financial assistance via the fundraisers and donations, which I don't believe should be necessary. Nobody should purposely bring a child into this world unless they can care for said child.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Would love to be the owner of the grocery store they shop at it

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 03:57 PM
According to babycenter.com, by today's standards it would cost approximately $629,000 to raise a child. Of course let's reduce that figure for their children that have already been around for a few years. Even at only $100,000, they would need to be millionaires to raise these kids on their own income.

And also, keep in mind that these figures are current, and they will rise each and every year.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
According to babycenter.com, by today's standards it would cost approximately $629,000 to raise a child. Of course let's reduce that figure for their children that have already been around for a few years. Even at only $100,000, they would need to be millionaires to raise these kids on their own income.

And also, keep in mind that these figures are current, and they will rise each and every year.

I bet the local Wal Mart loves to see this family walk into the store

-Cp
08-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Hell, I have enough trying to contain one little 6 year old running rampant around my house! Children are deserving of LOTS of time, love, energy, participation, teaching... If they can do it, I stand corrected. But I don't see enough time in a day to do so.

Whether or not they must remain hungry at times. Do they have enough income to properly put food on the table to keep the kids properly nourished. Do the kids have enough clothing. Do they have time to run the kids around to play sports, see their friends, enjoy activities... I can only imagine when the time comes for these kids to entertain the thought of going to college. It's projected to cost me well over $100k to send my son to a decent college by the time he is of age. Even with community colleges, can you imagine what the costs would be? I hope they won't have to have their education reduced beyond their capabilities simply because it's not afforded because of too many other children.

Of course they might get plenty of financial assistance via the fundraisers and donations, which I don't believe should be necessary. Nobody should purposely bring a child into this world unless they can care for said child.

It seems as if you're somehow implying ones care for children by material stuff and I don't see that at all...

My wife and i have 5 kids.. my dad came from a family of 11 - again, I think you're place assumptions that these folks can't properly care for their kids...

It's not as if they just had 17 overnight - Good Lord, even if they had one per year, the oldest is at least 17 so they have TONS of built-in "babby sitters'... I think it's awesome they can do this and pull it off..

I hope they're raising good people...

red states rule
08-04-2007, 04:02 PM
It seems as if you're somehow implying ones care for children by material stuff and I don't see that at all...

My wife and i have 5 kids.. my dad came from a family of 11 - again, I think you're place assumptions that these folks can't properly care for their kids...

It's not as if they just had 17 overnight - Good Lord, even if they had one per year, the oldest is at least 17 so they have TONS of built-in "babby sitters'... I think it's awesome they can do this and pull it off..

We know they took the phrase "be fruitful and multiply" to heart

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 04:05 PM

But did your parents solicit money to make ends meet? A loan from the bank I can understand, but asking others to help you make ends meet when you chose to have those children is wrong.

I hope they're raising good kids too, honestly. But if the governments calculations on the site I cited are even close, they'll need to be multi-millionaires AT LEAST to raise that many children.

Kathianne

I agree, I couldn't do it, but they seem to have the wherewithal. Godspeed to them.

Abbey Marie

Doesn't anyone else find this statement disturbing? A child was literally just born, and the parents already are dissatisfied and want another. I think there is something very odd and psychologically "off" about that.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Doesn't anyone else find this statement disturbing? A child was literally just born, and the parents already are dissatisfied and want another. I think there is something very odd and psychologically "off" about that.

Maybe they like making the kid as much as they enjoy taking care of them

From the picture of the family - they have no problem providing for them

Kathianne
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Abbey, it's you reading in 'dissatisfaction', not the parents. They seem ready and able to welcome more. I couldn't, I'm guessing you couldn't, but they seem able. Unless of course there is some missing story here about their 15-19 year olds in trouble?

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 04:15 PM
From the picture of the family - they have no problem providing for them

Wow, you can tell that from just a picture? If I put mt tuxedo on and borrowed my buddies Rolex, would you see a picture of me an assume I'm financially well off?

red states rule
08-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow, you can tell that from just a picture? If I put mt tuxedo on and borrowed my buddies Rolex, would you see a picture of me an assume I'm financially well off?

The kids look well fed, their clothes look fine, I have heard no reports of any of them in torible, or the parents not paying their bills

Seems to me, some are trying to make something out of nothing here

Kathianne
08-04-2007, 04:18 PM

a 7000 sq ft house is not average?

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 04:24 PM
The kids look well fed, their clothes look fine, I have heard no reports of any of them in torible, or the parents not paying their bills

Seems to me, some are trying to make something out of nothing here

I hope you're right, I really do. I admire them if they can do this and bring 17 good kids into this world. I'm just thinking out loud and can be way off base.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I hope you're right, I really do. I admire them if they can do this and bring 17 good kids into this world. I'm just thinking out loud and can be way off base.

With all the stories about them - if there was something worng I am sure we would have heard about it

Abbey Marie
08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Abbey, it's you reading in 'dissatisfaction', not the parents. They seem ready and able to welcome more. I couldn't, I'm guessing you couldn't, but they seem able. Unless of course there is some missing story here about their 15-19 year olds in trouble?

The birth of a child is usually a momentous occasion, and the first few hours, parents tend to focus intently on, and love that new baby. To be saying she can't wait to have another, just 30 minutes after the birth of this one, at the very least tells me that she is not focuing on her newborn. I guess we can use some word other than dissatisfaction, but whatever we call it, it sure isn't normal behavior.

My layman's guess is that mom bases her worth and meaning in life on being pregnant and giving birth. Perhaps once that baby pops out, mom feels unimportant.

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
a 7000 sq ft house is not average?

Didn't state it was or wasn't. They obviously have a large home and plenty of property, but it takes a lot more than that.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they have a billion dollars hidden in the Cayman Islands! If so, more power to them, and a hearty congratulations as well. I'm strictly speaking out of concern for ANY family to be able to properly raise a family of 17. It's none of my business to begin with, but they are the ones who go national with the news, and I am solely speaking out of care for the children.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Didn't state it was or wasn't. They obviously have a large home and plenty of property, but it takes a lot more than that.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they have a billion dollars hidden in the Cayman Islands! If so, more power to them, and a hearty congratulations as well. I'm strictly speaking out of concern for ANY family to be able to properly raise a family of 17. It's none of my business to begin with, but they are the ones who go national with the news, and I am solely speaking out of care for the children.

With the doom and gloom media - we would have heard all the neg stories if their were any

Kathianne
08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
The birth of a child is usually a momentous occasssion, and the first few hours, parents tend to focus intently on, and love that new baby. To be saying she can't wait to have another, just 30 minutes after the birth of this one, at the very least tells me that she is not focuing on her newborn. I guess we can use some word other than dissatisfaction, but whatever we call it, it sure isn't normal behavior.

My layman's guess is that mom bases her worth and meaning in life on being pregnant and giving birth. Perhaps once that baby pops out, mom feels unimportant.

As I said, I can't really relate, I come from a pretty small nuclear family, but seems to me that someone willing to have more than 2 or 3 kids, views the process differently. Not how or why they get here, but rather how they 'fit' into the family. You have one daughter, she is the be all and end all of both you and your husband, though you both have challenging careers. You suffer her hurts and celebrate her successes.

Me too for mine, though probably at the time with less focus, since some would overlap with 3 kids and my income necessitating for much of the time, major hours and missing of some 'big things.'

In a large family like this, I doubt the emphasis is on the individual and more on the collective. At the same time, the family is in US and for that reason alone the kids themselves will become individuals, inevitably. Perhaps without the same dings and nicks your 'only' will get, or my 'children of divorce' will get, but different from either of ours?

OCA
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Hell i'll say it..........17 kids, I don't care how wealthy they are or how big their house is etc. etc., 17 kids and talking about number 18 shortly after is wrong on so many levels.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Hell i'll say it..........17 kids, I don't care how wealthy they are or how big their house is etc. etc., 17 kids and talking about number 18 shortly after is wrong on so many levels.

How?

Are you saying their needs to be a cap on how many kids a couple can have?

They have that in China you know

OCA
08-04-2007, 05:50 PM
How?

Are you saying their needs to be a cap on how many kids a couple can have?

They have that in China you know

You are shitting me, right?

Two parents are unable to have enough love and attention to spread around to 17 children, no fucking way, impossible. Maybe they do it for the tax exemptions.

I guarantee you if they were Black(i'm not sure of the race but I assume they are White since noone has said otherwise) everyone would be accusing them of scamming the system.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Two parents are unable to have enough love and attention to spread around to 17 children, no fucking way, impossible. Maybe they do it for the tax exemptions.

I guarantee you if they were Black(i'm not sure of the race but I assume they are White since noone has said otherwise) everyone would be accusing them of scamming the system.

What is the limit? When do we say people may not have any more kids? It seems people are making something out of nothing

PostmodernProphet
08-04-2007, 05:53 PM
my grandmother on my father's side was child number 14, she has a younger sister....both my father and mother are from families of 8.....by the time I was born, I was grandchild number 37.....Grandpa used to ask "Who's kid are you?".......

OCA
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
What is the limit? When do we say people may not have any more kids? It seems people are making something out of nothing

Nobody is saying limits need to be set but the situation does need to be investigated for signs of neglect and flakiness.

OCA
08-04-2007, 06:02 PM
.....Grandpa used to ask "Who's kid are you?".......

Exactly

PostmodernProphet
08-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Exactly

???...exactly what?....

OCA
08-04-2007, 06:08 PM
???...exactly what?....

Grandparents much less parents can keep track of or properly nurture, in this case, 17 children, its impossible.

LiberalNation
08-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I've seen these people on tv. TLC does a show about them every year. They built them a house too. The last one I saw was them going on a trip

They look like religious wackos to me. All their kids are homeschooled and they run their own church for their kids and 1 other family. All the girls wear home madeold timey dresses.

Trigg
08-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Why do you find this weird???

Right after I had my first I said to my husband, "that wasn't to bad we could do that again."

They want lost of kids and they (from the articles and shows) can afford it so more power to them. Just because some here can't or wouldn't be able to do it doesn't mean the Duggers can't.

Trigg
08-04-2007, 06:40 PM
My husbands family has MANY children. His father is one of 11, his mother one of 9. He has 40 some odd cousins.

I myself have 4 kids and would love to have more if we could afford it. The Duggers have sacrificed for their family (again going by the articles) who are we to judge them??????????

Yes, 17 is a boat load of kids, but from the pictures and articles the kids seem well adjusted. Most of the people I know have 3-4 children and it's not seen as odd at all. In fact people with only 2 are the exception around here. Thank goodness!!!!!

jackass
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Just an ignorant remark...

red states rule
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Nobody is saying limits need to be set but the situation does need to be investigated for signs of neglect and flakiness.

As I said, the liberal media would have told us about any if there was any

Trigg
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM

With all due respect this number is crap!!

My husband makes no where near this amount and we do just fine with the 4 we have. I don't know where on earth they get this number.

The problem with people today is they think they need everything new. Children need love and support not the newest gameboy or cell phone. IF more people realized this they'd be much happier.

jackass
08-04-2007, 06:48 PM

How do you figure this?? I assume you have facts or first person accounts to back this up???

red states rule
08-04-2007, 06:51 PM

My husband makes no where near this amount and we do just fine with the 4 we have. I don't know where on earth they get this number.

The problem with people today is they think they need everything new. Children need love and support not the newest gameboy or cell phone. IF more people realized this they'd be much happier.

Trigg, some people are not happy unless they are bitching about something.
The kids seem seem to be happy, no complaints about the way the parents are caring for the kids, and the kids seem to be in good health

I say let them alone and lets move on to soemthing important

jackass
08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Unless anyone here has personal experience with this...then I say dont speak about what you dont know. It is NOT impossible to raise 17 well loved and cared for kids byt two parents. My grandparents did it...plus the addition of me and my four siblings and parents to boot.
They did not have any TV shows to go on or get paid to do any articles. My grandfather drove 1.5 hours to work at 4 am and my grandmother stayed home. She never even learned how to drive a car. They didnt do it for the tax breaks either (that was the MOST assanine thing I have ever heard). Do you think that the tax breaks you get for 17 kids outweighs the expense of having 17 kids?
We had a commercial size refrigerator as the main fridge. A normal size to hold extras. We had two freezers, one a normal stand up freezer and the other a lay down chest freezer. I think they bought about 10 gallons of milk each week and NEVER did they deny our friends a meal, snack or drink. In fact many of my uncles, aunts and siblings friends lived with them for a time.
Never was I "hungry" not loved or lonely. As bad as it was growing up a teenager in that environment with nowhere to go to be alone...I severly miss it and all my family. I would have had a larger family but my wife wasnt so willing. My childhood memories are filled of familly bbq's, family football games, HUGE Christmas trees, and over the top celebrations. It was truly a blessed childhood and I wouldnt change it for anything in the world.

Trigg
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Unless anyone here has personal experience with this...then I say dont speak about what you dont know. It is NOT impossible to raise 17 well loved and cared for kids byt two parents. My grandparents did it...plus the addition of me and my four siblings and parents to boot.
They did not have any TV shows to go on or get paid to do any articles. My grandfather drove 1.5 hours to work at 4 am and my grandmother stayed home. She never even learned how to drive a car. They didnt do it for the tax breaks either (that was the MOST assanine thing I have ever heard). Do you think that the tax breaks you get for 17 kids outweighs the expense of having 17 kids?
We had a commercial size refrigerator as the main fridge. A normal size to hold extras. We had two freezers, one a normal stand up freezer and the other a lay down chest freezer. I think they bought about 10 gallons of milk each week and NEVER did they deny our friends a meal, snack or drink. In fact many of my uncles, aunts and siblings friends lived with them for a time.
Never was I "hungry" not loved or lonely. As bad as it was growing up a teenager in that environment with nowhere to go to be alone...I severly miss it and all my family. I would have had a larger family but my wife wasnt so willing. My childhood memories are filled of familly bbq's, family football games, HUGE Christmas trees, and over the top celebrations. It was truly a blessed childhood and I wouldnt change it for anything in the world.

I tried to give you rep for this but it won't let me. You sound like my husband. He loved growing up around his large family........a family I might add that still gets together and lives close to one another.

I envy my husband growing up around and being babysat by aunts and uncles, I didn't get that growing up since we lived to far away and only saw my grandparents once a year.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I tried to give you rep for this but it won't let me. You sound like my husband. He loved growing up around his large family........a family I might add that still gets together and lives close to one another.

I envy my husband growing up around and being babysat by aunts and uncles, I didn't get that growing up since we lived to far away and only saw my grandparents once a year.

It's OK Trigg - I reped him

It was a damn good post

Trigg
08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
It's OK Trigg - I reped him

It was a damn good post

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

red states rule
08-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

My pleasure

jackass
08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks to you both! I always had someone to play with...uncles to play catch with, teach me to fish, etc. AS I said...hard as a teenager. but now I miss it deeply.

red states rule
08-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks to you both! I always had someone to play with...uncles to play catch with, teach me to fish, etc. AS I said...hard as a teenager. but now I miss it deeply.

Family is something to hold on to for as long as you can

PostmodernProphet
08-04-2007, 08:30 PM
According to babycenter.com, by today's standards it would cost approximately $629,000 to raise a child

lol, Jim...that isn't $629k a year.....

Abbey Marie
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Trigg, some people are not happy unless they are bitching about something.
The kids seem seem to be happy, no complaints about the way the parents are caring for the kids, and the kids seem to be in good health

I say let them alone and lets move on to soemthing important

And who the heck are you to decide what is or isn't important enough to discuss on this board?

nevadamedic
08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
And who the heck are you to decide what is or isn't important enough to discuss on this board?

Are you ok Abbey? You seem to be a little more hostile latley.

actsnoblemartin
08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Oh common, you would have 20 if you could.

1 hour, 12 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.

OCA
08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Why do you find this weird???

Right after I had my first I said to my husband, "that wasn't to bad we could do that again."

They want lost of kids and they (from the articles and shows) can afford it so more power to them. Just because some here can't or wouldn't be able to do it doesn't mean the Duggers can't.

TLC built them a 7000 sq ft house for free, build me one for free and I could afford them too, in other words they couldn't afford them without charity.

OCA
08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
How do you figure this?? I assume you have facts or first person accounts to back this up???

Unless one of them is superman it ain't possible, someone is getting neglected emotionally at the very least.

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 11:18 PM
lol, Jim...that isn't $629k a year.....

Allow me to quote myself from earlier in this thread:

According to babycenter.com, by today's standards it would cost approximately $629,000 to raise a child.I don't believe I said it was per year, that is to "raise a child" which means until they are 18. This includes housing, food, transportation, clothing, healthcare, childcare/education & college. These figures are from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's 2000 annual report. (from the above link)

College report data collected by The College Board, a non-profit in NYC.

Obviously many survive on less, and I'm sure the rich spend a lot more. But they didn't make up the numbers out of thin air. I guess that would be the "average".

nevadamedic
08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Allow me to quote myself from earlier in this thread:

I don't believe I said it was per year, that is to "raise a child" which means until they are 18. This includes housing, food, transportation, clothing, healthcare, childcare/education & college. These figures are from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's 2000 annual report. (from the above link)

College report data collected by The College Board, a non-profit in NYC.

Obviously many survive on less, and I'm sure the rich spend a lot more. But they didn't make up the numbers out of thin air. I guess that would be the "average".

I thought that figure goes past 18 up until they graduate college?

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 11:29 PM
I thought that figure goes past 18 up until they graduate college?

You are correct, my bad!

Here is the data directly from the USDA:

The lowest income factor would still be just shy of 400,000 per child if you look at the figures. The highest they have listed is the average income of $112,000, and with that the figure rises to 579,000.

So at the lowest income variables, the cost to raise 17 children would be approximately $6,545,000 (using $385 figure instead of the 400,000)

At the higher level it would be approximately 9,843,000.

Again, USDA, not my figures.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/CRC/crc2006.pdf

nevadamedic
08-04-2007, 11:36 PM
You are correct, my bad!

Here is the data directly from the USDA:

The lowest income factor would still be just shy of 400,000 per child if you look at the figures. The highest they have listed is the average income of $112,000, and with that the figure rises to 579,000.

So at the lowest income variables, the cost to raise 17 children would be approximately $6,545,000 (using $385 figure instead of the 400,000)

Again, USDA, not my figures.

Oh well, I just don't see how they come up with those figures, as every child is different.

jimnyc
08-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Oh well, I just don't see how they come up with those figures, as every child is different.

You don't see? Did you even click on the link? It lists it in black and white! Lists how they got their figures, averaged yearly, then varies as they get older, till they tally the figure to raise said child.

Angel Heart
08-05-2007, 12:08 AM

:clap::clap::clap: ITA.

BTW I'm a Mama of 5.

dan
08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Once again:

Do jokes on the "peaceful" side of the board require substantive evidence now? No wonder the Humor forum is so dead.:rolleyes:

-Cp
08-05-2007, 01:36 AM
But did your parents solicit money to make ends meet? A loan from the bank I can understand, but asking others to help you make ends meet when you chose to have those children is wrong.

I hope they're raising good kids too, honestly. But if the governments calculations on the site I cited are even close, they'll need to be multi-millionaires AT LEAST to raise that many children.

Jim -you are a conservative brother, but you are WAY off base on this and frankly, a bit ignorant of what's going on here.

What pisses me off is this over-western-culturized view of large families. Here in the USA and most of Europe there is this mystical number on how large is too large of a family and we somehow look at those folks as "odd".

It's our own bastardized, self-engradizement view on things that have perverted our view on the blessings of a large family. God wasn't wrong when he said having a "full quiver" is a blessing.

Somehow we feel as if it takes thousands of dollars per year to raise kids...
Okay.. so doing the breakdown.. we have 5 kids... of which our monthly food bill is about $600 dollars - we buy them clothes about 2-3 times / year....

If you're making a salary of even 36,000, drive a used car which you own.. that leaves rent/house payment, insurance, food and utilities... last I checked, it's more than easy to raise a family on that.. If it's not, and your rent/house payment makes it unaffordable- guess what? MOVE!! Move to an area that's not so freakin' expensive..

Folks somehow think it's their "right' to live where they want to live and if they can't make ends meet there, then screw having more kids. Kids don't "need" millions of dollars to be raised well - they need loving parents who are there for them and not so worried about chasing a more materialistic life (spelled junk) for their kids.

You wanna know what kids need? Here it is:
1. God in their lives
2. Loving Parents
3. Respect for their parents
4. Shelter/Food

That's it! Everything beyond that is embellishment- and while not a bad thing, should never dictate how many kids God chooses to bless you with.

Angel Heart
08-05-2007, 01:56 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

We are raising our family just fine with out having all the crap that so many say they need. Starting from when they are born. I do cloth diapers, breastfeeding and homemade baby food.

08-05-2007, 03:48 AM
no link?

Jon
08-05-2007, 03:52 AM
If you can afford to have 17 kids, by all means have them.

I will say, however, that my grandmother had 8 kids. She suffered from uterine prolapse (her uterus was falling through her cervix). She had to wear a device called a pessary to hold it all in. I think there is a surgery you can have to correct this as well.

I'm not saying that there is a magic number of births that can make this happen, but I'd imagine that it might be more common in those that have gone through nearly 20 births.

:eek:

red states rule
08-05-2007, 05:04 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

We are raising our family just fine with out having all the crap that so many say they need. Starting from when they are born. I do cloth diapers, breastfeeding and homemade baby food.

God bless you and your family

PostmodernProphet
08-05-2007, 06:12 AM
well shucks....if it "takes a village to raise a child", some folks just decide to grow their own villages........

red states rule
08-05-2007, 06:14 AM
well shucks....if it "takes a village to raise a child", some folks just decide to grow their own villages........

No, it took a village to keep Bill happy

These folks are doing no harm - if they are happy and the kids are happy - what is the problem?

PostmodernProphet
08-05-2007, 06:51 AM
what is the problem?

red, I don't have a problem....I'm the guy from a big family, remember?.....you need to work on your sense of humor.......

red states rule
08-05-2007, 06:53 AM
red, I don't have a problem....I'm the guy from a big family, remember?.....you need to work on your sense of humor.......

Imwas speaking about the others on this thread who seem to think they are doing something wrong

PostmodernProphet
08-05-2007, 06:55 AM
ah, my mistake....since you quoted me I assumed you were talking to me....

red states rule
08-05-2007, 06:56 AM
ah, my mistake....since you quoted me I assumed you were talking to me....

If I am talking about you - you will know it

PostmodernProphet
08-05-2007, 06:59 AM
lol, why.....will the hairs on the back of my neck rise?

red states rule
08-05-2007, 07:02 AM
lol, why.....will the hairs on the back of my neck rise?

Only you would know the answer when it happens

jackass
08-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Unless one of them is superman it ain't possible, someone is getting neglected emotionally at the very least.

That is your opinion. I have lived it and I tell you it is very possible. When someone lives their life totally unselfishly, anything is possible.

jackass
08-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Well I can tell you this..my grandfather NEVER made this much and we were all fine. What one NEEDS and what one wants are 2 very different things!

jackass
08-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Jim -you are a conservative brother, but you are WAY off base on this and frankly, a bit ignorant of what's going on here.

You wanna know what kids need? Here it is:
1. God in their lives
2. Loving Parents
3. Respect for their parents
4. Shelter/Food

That's it! Everythign beyond that is embellishment- and while not a bad thing, should never dictate how many kids God chooses to bless you with.

I tried to rep you one this but I have to spread some around! :clap:

red states rule
08-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Well I can tell you this..my grandfather NEVER made this much and we were all fine. What one NEEDS and what one wants are 2 very different things!

Is this what libs mean when they say some conservatives want to be in the bedrooms of others?

OCA
08-05-2007, 09:13 AM
That is your opinion. I have lived it and I tell you it is very possible. When someone lives their life totally unselfishly, anything is possible.

You came from 17 kids Jackass? Seriously, what was the actual number, just curious. You might've posted it elsewhere but its Sunday morning and i'm too lazy right now.

Nukeman
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
You came from 17 kids Jackass? Seriously, what was the actual number, just curious. You might've posted it elsewhere but its Sunday morning and i'm too lazy right now.

His mother was the oldest of 17, and he was one of 6 I believe.

Others that have replied with positive remarks are Trigg -4 kids
CP - 5 kids
Angel heart - 5 kids
myself - 4 kids

Nienna I'm sure would have something to say having 4 herself.

Why argue with people who are living in large families and who come from large extended families. I raise my children myself with no where near the half million amount Jimmy keeps posting, my family is huge and again their incomes didn't come near that. Kids need love not stuff, CP was right with his post what you need and want are two different things.

One of your other posts statee TLC built the house for them. I don't believe that is true. I watched that episode and I'm pretty sure they built it themselves over a period of 3 yrs. I'm sure they got paid by TLC for appearing on the numerous shows but who cares, they arn't milking the system or looking for handouts. They simply found a way to "market" themselves as a way to make money.

red states rule
08-05-2007, 12:35 PM

CP - 5 kids
Angel heart - 5 kids
myself - 4 kids

Why argue with people who are living in large families and who come from large extended families. I raise my children myself with no where near the half million amount Jimmy keeps posting, my family is huge and again their incomes didn't come near that. Kids need love not stuff, CP was right with his post what you need and want are two different things.

One of your other posts statee TLC built the house for them. I don't believe that is true. I watched that episode and I'm pretty sure they built it themselves over a period of 3 yrs. I'm sure they got paid by TLC for appearing on the numerous shows but who cares, they arn't milking the system or looking for handouts. They simply found a way to "market" themselves as a way to make money.

There is no problem with having a large family - as long as they can properly care for them and raise them to be good citizens

Nukeman
08-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I've seen these people on tv. TLC does a show about them every year. They built them a house too. The last one I saw was them going on a trip

They look like religious wackos to me. All their kids are homeschooled and they run their own church for their kids and 1 other family. All the girls wear home madeold timey dresses.

How can you judge them as "religious wackos", Have you actually seen them preach on TV. I dont think so!! AS for them having their own church there is nothing wrong with that as long as they are teaching their chilren right from wrong..

I believe a lot of YOUNGER people in this world including yourself LN could benefit immensly from a little time in church. Maybe you wouldn't be so judgemental about them..

As for TLC building their house for them please show me where this is stated :link::link::link:

If I remember correctly they were in the process of building this house themselves in the first show broadcast about them and had been building it for about 3 years....

These people provide for thier children better than most others. Ohh and LN WHO CARES IF THIER CLOTHES ARE HOME MADE. At least it is made in America. You dont have to spend $40 on a t-shirt from Holister to be coverd.

Do you make fun of the Amish and Minonite and their home made clothes???

Could I raise 17 children, probably not, but all these children seem to be well adjusted and very well behaved. I have known many LARGE families including any where from 6-14 children. It was always great going to their houses I was always welcomed and included. You were always expected to help but thats what large families do the HELP EACH OTHER. Nothing and no one in the world will help you like family....

red states rule
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
How can you judge them as "religious wackos", Have you actually seen them preach on TV. I dont think so!! AS for them having thier own church there is nothing wrong with that as long as they are teaching thier chilren right from wrong..

I believe a lot of YOUNGER people in this world including yourself LN could benefit immensly from a little time in church. Maybe you wouldn't be so judgemental about them..

As for TLC building thier house for them pleas show me where this is stated :link::link::link:

If I remember correctly they were in the process of building this house themselves in the first show broadcast about them and had been building it for about 3 years....

These people provide for thier children better than most others Ohh and LN WHO CARES IF THIER CLOTHES AER HOME MADE. At least it made in America. You dont have to spen $40 on a t-shit from Holister to be coverd.

Do you make fun of the Amish and Minonite and thier home made clothes???

Could I rase 17 children probably not but all these children seem to be well adjusted and very well behaved. I have known many LARGE families including any where from 6-14 children. It was always great going to their houses I was always welcomed and included. You were always expected to help but thats what large families do the HELP EACH OTHER. Nothing and no one in the world will help you like family....

I guess the large family makes them "religious wackos" from the view of the kook left

Nukeman
08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I guess the large family makes them "religious wackos" from the view of the kook leftAlways seems to be the case. I love how Liberals are always talking about how to take care of family yet statisticly they are only having 1.2 children. They cant even replace their own wacky selves....

red states rule
08-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Always seems to be the case. I love how Liberals are always talking about how to take care of family yet statisticly they are only having 1.2 children. They cant even replace their own wacky selves....

The less children libs jhave - the better the future of Amercia looks

I told a lib friend of mine this joke

I wish libs would use their Iraq war plan in their sex life. Pull out before the mission is accomplished

OCA
08-05-2007, 01:33 PM

CP - 5 kids
Angel heart - 5 kids
myself - 4 kids

I have 4 kids, that ain't enormous.

They milked TLC for the money to pay for the house they needed, if not..............they live in a shack right now. They got paid for being abnormal, hope the children realize later on in life why mom and dad sold them out attention wise for money for a house.

OCA
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Warren Jeffs had a large family, maybe they were all well adjusted too.

-Cp
08-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Jim Bob Duggar ... is not looking for a handout. He's a real estate broker and former state representative. He can afford it. Last year he built a 7000 square foot house with his two oldest sons. So what's the beef?

Well, they are devout Christians. If that makes Duggar a better person swell. If it makes him a closed minded bigot who only believes that civil rights are for "his kind," not swell. But if his religion plays into his own family planning (and this number is by design), none of our beeswax.

There is another angle that the rest of us will end up having to foot the bill. I don't see how. Again, these people aren't asking for any help from anyone. They can afford this. Does he get a tax break for all those kids? Yes, he does. But he's also self employed, so does anyone really believe he would be paying out loads to begin with? He's also paying property and school taxes on a 7000 square foot house, yet the kids are home schooled. I don't hear any complaints about that. I also don't hear any complaints that the odds of Jim Bob and Michelle having a child die for their country are eight times that of the average family. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar will introduce 16 (at least) contributors to the social security system, which is just what that stupid ponzi scheme needs.

The number of pups these people want to squeeze out should be their business alone if they can pay the bill. The economic effects on the rest of us merit a thank -you card from society, not derision. Large families are ... tremendously beneficial for the economy. These people have 4 washers and 8 dryers. They built their own home. They spend $1500 a month feeding these children. Does anyone without children realize how much money circulates in the economy when just one child arrives? Ann and I calculated that when we had our third, Gregory, that over half a million dollars changed hands as a result. We added onto the house, bought a larger car (3 child seats. The Duggars have a Partridge Family-esque bus), refinanced 2 rental properties, and bought another investment property upstate. Would we have done it all anyway? Perhaps some of it, but not the addition or car. But you don't need to have half a million dollars change hands to vindicate having a baby. And admittedly, there may be diminishing returns for the economy as you have more children. The 4th child may not get the same new pair of shoes, but rather hand me downs. So be it. Society still wins. Whatever a child may take out of tax revenue they more than replace with commerce. And tax revenue is not the name of the game in this system it is commerce.

Perhaps the criticism is more for the welfare of the children. Maybe they don't get as much love. Folks, love is not a zero sum thing. They have each other too. Is this bad? Trust me on this one, you can't replace a sibling. What about the unique and special things these children will experience? They grow some of their own food. Their home schooling includes violin lessons. The two oldest helped build the new house. The older ones help with the younger ones. Horrors.

http://regularthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/10/more-on-duggar-family_22.html

Nukeman
08-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Warren Jeffs had a large family, maybe they were all well adjusted too.

One has nothing to do with the other.

nevadamedic
08-05-2007, 05:17 PM

I thought you were going to change your Avatar?

jackass
08-05-2007, 05:23 PM

My grandparents had 17. My family of 5 and 2 parents also lived with them.

jackass
08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I thought you were going to change your Avatar?

That was many posts ago!...maybe I should post my 16 aunts and uncles as my avatar?

actsnoblemartin
08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Are they catholic?:cheers2:

red states rule
08-06-2007, 04:08 AM

Just a loving couple who love to have kids

jackass
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM

But of course!! :laugh2: