PDA

View Full Version : I have to say, 42 years on...

hjmick
03-17-2017, 07:16 PM
And Jaws still holds up.

Damn good movie.

Black Diamond
03-17-2017, 07:20 PM
And Jaws still holds up.

Damn good movie.
Agreed. But some folks say it's the scariest movie they ever saw; which I disagree with.

Black Diamond
03-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Oh and smile you sonofabitch.

Elessar
03-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Still need a bigger boat!:laugh:

jimnyc
03-17-2017, 07:23 PM
And Jaws still holds up.

Damn good movie.

Hittin' the beach tomorrow? :)

It was definitely that good back in the day, good enough to where people were afraid to go to the beach right afterwards. But I think we've become accustomed to the better graphics and CGI and what not over the past 30 years or so, and now that same fear factor isn't there. But still an awesome flick!!

hjmick
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Hittin' the beach tomorrow? :)

It was definitely that good back in the day, good enough to where people were afraid to go to the beach right afterwards. But I think we've become accustomed to the better graphics and CGI and what not over the past 30 years or so, and now that same fear factor isn't there. But still an awesome flick!!

The story, the directing, the acting, the cinematography, all hold up to anything being churned out today. The mechanical shark is truly only seen, what? Twice? Mostly all that was in any shot was the dorsal and tail fins. It wasn't until Brody is chumming and the very end that you really see anything more of the shark. The lack of visual and the music left most of the terror to the viewer's imagination. This is effective movie making.

The special effects we get today with CGI and whatnot is all good and well, and it allows some stories to be made today that couldn't adequately be filmed back in the day, but there's something to be said for some of the classics that required imagination, model making, and innovation to get the job done. Nowadays, CGI can make any hack a special effects guy...

And fuck your "awesome"...

Black Diamond
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Still need a bigger boat!:laugh:
Quit playing with yourself, Hooper.

jimnyc
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
And wait a minute, WTF, 42 years on??? We're getting OLLLLLLLDDDDDD!!!!! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/mooning/old-man-mooning.gif

gabosaurus
03-17-2017, 10:02 PM
I enjoyed Jaws. Scared the crap out of me. Especially the calm and blissful moment when the huge shark suddenly darts out of the water.

That being said, I lean more towards irreverent comedies. I have seen "Blazing Saddles" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" about 50 times each and they still make me laugh.

Abbey Marie
03-17-2017, 10:33 PM
Robert Shaw's monologue about the Indianapolis and the sharks is still riveting.