PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones dirtier than toilets

jimnyc
03-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Consider the first line of the first portion of this article. I will forever and ever and ever use bluetooth ONLY going forth! :laugh:

Your iPhone's dirtier than a toilet — and so are these other everyday items

Then next time you answer your smartphone and press it firmly to your face, consider this: Are you touching fecal matter right now?

Quite possibly. Researchers at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine found fecal matter on one out of every six smartphones in a 2011 study. Add to that the work of Charles Gerba, a famed University of Arizona microbiologist who found cell phones carry 10 times the bacteria of most toilet seats.

Familiar items we touch every day, from cellphones to kitchen sinks, swarm with far more germs than our toilets. And while 80 percent of infections come from what we touch, we rarely clean these ordinary items as often as our porcelain thrones.

Shoes

It only takes two weeks for a brand new pair of shoes to collect 421,000 units of bacteria, the average amount Gerba found in a sole-searching footwear study. Nearly a third of shoes (27%) carried E. coli, indicating “frequent contact with fecal material, which most likely originates from floors in public restrooms or contact with animal fecal material outdoors,” Gerba said. Throwing the shoes in a washing machine with detergent nixed 90% of the bacteria or more, the study found—including all fecal matter. (Just don’t wear your shoes in the home.)

Kitchen sink

“If an alien came from space and studied the bacterial counts, he probably would conclude he should wash his hands in your toilet and crap in your sink,” Gerba said in a university profile. Kitchen sinks carry more bacteria than both toilets and garbage cans, his work shows. Even worse is the damp kitchen sponge nearby, which Gerba found can be 200,000 times dirtier than your toilet. Hit your sink with hot, soapy water and wipe it daily with disinfecting wipes, he told Today, and put sponges in the microwave for a minute while wet to sanitize them.

Rest here - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/23/your-iphones-dirtier-than-toilet-and-so-these-other-everyday-items/99530570/

Abbey Marie
03-23-2017, 10:26 PM
I've heard that the dirtiest thing we all handle is paper money. I treat it like medical waste, lol.

Black Diamond
03-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Quit wiping with your phone. :cool:

sear
03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Quit wiping with your phone. :cool:
Tree killer!

Smartphones dirtier than toilets
The solution is obvious.
To reduce it to parity, urinate on your smartphone regularly, preferably while it's charging.

jimnyc
03-25-2017, 03:42 PM
This is crazy. I found the original article while cruising around Yahoo yesterday. Now today, I just found this in the same place... Either this 'crap' is made up...

---

Apparently beards are filled with fecal bacteria and are ‘as dirty as toilets’

This is about to be great news for the razor blade business; turns out men’s beards are shockingly dirty.

According to a new study, beards contain just as much fecal matter as a toilet. KOAT 7 reports that after swabbing a number of beards, a New Mexico microbiologist made the shocking discovery.

“I’m usually not surprised, and I was surprised by this,” said John Golobic with Quest Diagnostics.

While some beards had normal amounts of bacteria, others had enough to cause serious illness.

If you’re strongly pro-beard, hand washing and a through beard scrubbing are encouraged to keep it clean.

http://viewhealth.net/apparently-beards-filled-fecal-bacteria-dirty-toilets/