PDA

View Full Version : Trump honors medal of honor winners

jimnyc
03-25-2017, 06:29 PM
To recognize war heroes, Trump resurrects long-neglected 'Medal of Honor Day'

WASHINGTON — President Trump hosted the nation's most decorated war heroes at the White House Friday as part of a recognition of the rarely celebrated Medal of Honor Day.

"Each of you has risen above and beyond the call of duty in defense of our country, our people, and our flag. You have poured out your hearts, your sweat, and your tears like few others, and your blood — most importantly your blood — for the United States of America," Trump told about 25 Medal of Honor recipients in the Oval Office.

"You are the soul of our nation, and a grateful republic salutes you," he said.

In commemorating a day for Medal of Honor recipients — which technically falls on Saturday — Trump was resurrecting a holiday designated by Congress in 1990 but only officially observed once, on March 25, 1991. That was the anniversary of the first Army medals being presented in 1863 by Secretary of War Edwin Stanton to to six members of “Andrews Raiders” for volunteering for a daring locomotive chase through Georgia during the Civil War. Except for a visit to Arlington National Cemetery by President Barack Obama in 2009, the day has been largely ignored by recent presidents.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military honor the nation can bestow — so high that even higher ranking officers salute those who wear the medal. There are now 75 living Medal of Honor recipients, a number that has declined over the years as heroes of past wars have died and presidents have presented fewer medals to service members from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Trump enjoyed endorsements of some Medal of Honor recipients during his campaign, and Friday's event could signal that he hopes to elevate the annual recognition.

"This is a great honor for me. These are very, very brave people standing behind me," Trump said. "I can say officially they are much braver than I am, O.K.? Do you agree with that, General?"

Rest here - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/24/trump-invites-medal-honor-recipients-white-house/99566606/

Elessar
03-25-2017, 08:36 PM
I am glad to see this pulled out of the dustbin and reinstated.

gabosaurus
03-25-2017, 09:29 PM
NATIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR DAY

National Medal of Honor Day on March 25 is dedicated to all Medal of Honor recipients.

It was on March 25, 1863, when the first Medals of Honor were presented. Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton presented Medals of Honor (Army) to six members of “Andrews Raiders” for their volunteering and participation during an American Civil War raid in April of 1862.

Created in 1861, the Medal of Honor is the United States of America’s highest military honor. It is awarded only to US military personnel, by the President of the United States in the name of Congress, for personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty.

There are three versions of the Medal of Honor; one for the Army, one for the Navy and one for the Air Force, with personnel of the Marine Corps and the Coast Guard receiving the Navy version.

Since its creation, there have been 3,468 Medals of Honor awarded to the country’s soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and coast guardsmen.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Use #MedalOfHonorDay to post on social media.

HISTORY

In 1990, the United States Congress designated March 25th of each year as National Medal of Honor Day.

:salute:

sear
03-25-2017, 11:32 PM
I am glad to see this pulled out of the dustbin and reinstated.
Ditto.