PDA

View Full Version : Marine Veteran Becomes First Double-Amputee Cop

jimnyc
03-26-2017, 08:52 AM
WOW! Definitely one of my new heroes!

---

Marine Veteran Conquers Odds, Becomes First Double-Amputee Cop

Against all odds, Marine Corps veteran Matias Ferreira graduated from Suffolk County Police Department Academy in New York on Friday to become the first active-duty, double-amputee cop in the country.

Ferreira, a 28-year-old who deployed to Afghanistan and lost both of his legs in 2011 after stepping on an improvised explosive device (IED), graduated after 29 weeks at the academy and has now become a legend, NBC New York reports.

The Suffolk County Police Department believes Ferreira is not only the first active-duty, double-amputee cop in the agency, but also in the entire country.

“It’s pretty incredible,” Ferreira told ABC News. “I’m truly honored to be part of the department. When I first got on, I didn’t know how good I would do — maybe having some self-doubts in the beginning — but I had a very supportive staff, very supportive recruit class. Everybody kept pushing me through.”

Rest here - http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/25/against-all-odds-double-amputee-marine-believed-to-be-first-double-amputee-cop-in-the-country/

Gunny
03-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Oo fucking godamned rah. Hard corps.

jimnyc
03-26-2017, 09:19 AM

I give anyone credit if they can just get one new leg and simply be able to function. Then I saw many folks being active with a new leg. The best I ever saw was in an episode of cops, from Florida I believe, and the cop had a new leg, not sure how he lost it.

But this guy, dang, he lost both. I applaud ALL of our military folks that have to endure such hardships of course, simply for not giving up. But to not only give up, but to continue on, and to be a bad ass. That's beyond not giving up.

More...

----

https://i.imgur.com/9NgOFv3.jpg

Twenty-five-year-old Matias Ferreira is the only player on the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team™ (WWAST) to live in New York.

This brave Marine lost both legs from the knees down and broke his pelvis while fighting the Taliban during a tour of duty in January 2011. As a lance corporal, Ferreira was leading a night operation in Helmand province in Afghanistan. He jumped off a roof and landed on an improvised explosive device. Rescued by a Navy corpsman, he was taken to a nearby hospital, where his legs were amputated.

His friends call him the 100 watt smile. He is man who is an inspiration and is happy to continue his service.

In 2015, Matias made headlines after he rescued a baby from a bad car accident. He was on his way home from his wedding rehearsal when he heard the crash behind him and knew that he had to stop to help.

On March 24th, Matias will graduate from the Suffolk County Police Academy. Friends and family are very proud of this extraordinary man.

Congratulations to Matias Ferreira!

http://trihamletnews.com/legless-marine-graduate-suffolk-county-police-department/

Gunny
03-26-2017, 09:26 AM
I know these people. Stop.

jimnyc
03-26-2017, 09:44 AM
I know these people. Stop.

Huh, what ya mean?

sear
03-26-2017, 11:56 AM
My thanks to jc for the topic.

Kudos to the applicant for his determination, and his service & sacrifice. When the flaming wreckage I'm spiraling down the pavement in comes to a halt, he's the one I want to reach in and drag me out before my clothing gets singed.

888888888888888888888888888 I hope I'm not off-topic here ... 88888888888888888888888888888888

Centuries ago, virtually any prosthetic (the few that were available) were substantially inferior substitutes for the "able-bodied" complement.

Oxcar Pistorious showed us an inkling of that. But the sky's the limit. How long will it be before the biological is in practical terms a deficiency?

Elessar
03-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Just speechless over this young man's determination and drive!:salute:

Gunny
03-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Just speechless over this young man's determination and drive!:salute:

Hear ya, bro. Such are the things jaheads are made of.

And for jimnyc I go once a month and visit BAMC and the wounded warriors there. One of those things gabby thinks I don't do for others. I sneak them candy. :) I just don't think I need to brag about it. Give to Wounded Warriors monthly. But if I got to talk about it, it cheapens it and disrespects THEM.

jimnyc
03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Hear ya, bro. Such are the things jaheads are made of.

And for jimnyc I go once a month and visit BAMC and the wounded warriors there. One of those things gabby thinks I don't do for others. I sneak them candy. :) I just don't think I need to brag about it. Give to Wounded Warriors monthly. But if I got to talk about it, it cheapens it and disrespects THEM.

I have an idea they appreciate the support from other warriors than they do civilians. I dunno. I'm sure support of any kind is nice. I/we donate to the WW... but I imagine that's much different than like something you do with them as a fellow soldier.

Gunny
03-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I have an idea they appreciate the support from other warriors than they do civilians. I dunno. I'm sure support of any kind is nice. I/we donate to the WW... but I imagine that's much different than like something you do with them as a fellow soldier.

We know each other. Band of Brothers. But you spend some time with a lost soul. They will love you. Just for acknowledging what they sacrificed. They like Reese's :) Goldfish are next. They might be damaged but they are people too.

Kathianne
03-26-2017, 04:21 PM
The focus of robotics has made the new prosthesis so much better, thus increasing the quality of life of all that have been impacted. Still, it takes mental toughness to make the body do what would be required to get through the academy, play ball, etc.

George W has done a great job of portraying many of these heroes in both his paintings and his sponsorship of runs and bike marathons.