PDA

View Full Version : You Mean The GOP Isn't Serious About 'Cutting Costs?'

Kathianne
03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Trump took 'entitlements' off the table, which really is where the deficits are coming from. In a big show though, he proposed draconian cuts to EPA, EDU, etc., but what can we really expect? More of the same:

https://reason.com/blog/2017/03/29/turns-out-congressional-republicans-dont

Turns Out Congressional Republicans Don’t Really Want to Cut Spending (https://reason.com/blog/2017/03/29/turns-out-congressional-republicans-dont)GOP politicians admit that President Trump’s draconian cuts to the regulatory state aren’t going to happen.Matt Welch (https://reason.com/people/matt-welch/all)|<time datetime="2017-03-29T16:16:00+00:00" style="font-family: Helvetica, helvetica, sans-serif; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 11.9px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Mar. 29, 2017 12:16 pm</time>

jimnyc
03-29-2017, 04:16 PM
I think the 18 billion I read about a few days ago, which some like and some don't, is a good start. Everyone likes/wants cuts and to fix the budget, but then never like it when things are in fact cut. I don't have an issue with the cuts listed thus far - but I would REALLY love to see them not only make cuts to entitlements, but perhaps also implementing ways to cut back on the abuse of so many entitlements.

Kathianne
03-29-2017, 04:46 PM
I think the 18 billion I read about a few days ago, which some like and some don't, is a good start. Everyone likes/wants cuts and to fix the budget, but then never like it when things are in fact cut. I don't have an issue with the cuts listed thus far - but I would REALLY love to see them not only make cuts to entitlements, but perhaps also implementing ways to cut back on the abuse of so many entitlements.

It's not real. That is the problem.

pete311
03-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Cut some programs and then boost military by $80B. Sounds about right. His cuts won't hardly make a dent. You don't keep buying guns but stop buying windex when you're about to go bankrupt.

jimnyc
03-29-2017, 04:53 PM
I think a lot of it is real. No doubt cuts will TRY to be made, it's how congress handles it all. IMO, they need to stop with the one size fits all sometimes. Too many fights in congress and then anything that is actually important gets cut out, and then it usually ends up with nothing more than spending - and a lot of it to the damn congress jerks pet projects at home. I think some things need to be attacked individually instead of inside one monster sized crapbomb that arrives. In addition, make it abundantly clear who opposes various things. We know the Dems will vote no on everything and everything until 2020, they couldn't care less. The Republicans have the votes, at least for 2 years. Start rooting out the bad eggs, or at the very least those who ignore their constituents.

Kathianne
03-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Cut some programs and then boost military by $80B. Sounds about right. His cuts won't hardly make a dent. You don't keep buying guns but stop buying windex when you're about to go bankrupt.

It's not real. It's a "proposal" not what Congress will pass. Now is the time for pitchforks!

Look at the cost of the 'wall' and $1 trillion for infrastructure.

jimnyc
03-29-2017, 04:58 PM

No, you cut/raise things appropriately. Defense spending is important, especially now with terrorism around the world skyrocketing in the past 15 years. And then they should cut where things are abused and unnecessary. But it is possible to cut and make small dents - better than no dents. Not much different than Obama. He lessened the spending on the military - and yet he increased the national debt by more than anyone in history. I know for sure that there were 'some' cuts during Obama's terms, but obviously it did the opposite of a dent. The liberals were rather quite about the budget and debt during such time.

jimnyc
03-29-2017, 04:59 PM
It's not real. It's a "proposal" not what Congress will pass. Now is the time for pitchforks!

Look at the cost of the 'wall' and $1 trillion for infrastructure.

The wall is expensive, but is peanuts in comparison to our debt. But there is also the possibility of getting the lions share 'paid' back, and I believe it's something that is good for our security and more.