PDA

View Full Version : USS Eisenhower

jimnyc
04-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Holy crap!! Watch this guy after the cable breaks, and then his plane falls into the ocean - or does it? DAMN!

Arresting Cable Breaks on USS Eisenhower - 8 Sailors Injured

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=19d2cc4d99f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aboutime
04-04-2017, 03:58 PM
jim. I remember that. It was last year. Landing gear cables on carriers are supposed to be replaced after every 100 landings. That IS the most dangerous place to be in the navy. Everybody working has to have their HEAD on a swivel all the time.
By the way. EVERY plane that lands must go to FULL POWER until they are captured by the wire. That is what saves every pilot, and plane. If they fail to go to FULL POWER...they end up in the drink.

Gunny
04-04-2017, 04:28 PM
jim. I remember that. It was last year. Landing gear cables on carriers are supposed to be replaced after every 100 landings. That IS the most dangerous place to be in the navy. Everybody working has to have their HEAD on a swivel all the time.
By the way. EVERY plane that lands must go to FULL POWER until they are captured by the wire. That is what saves every pilot, and plane. If they fail to go to FULL POWER...they end up in the drink.We lost a bird off San Onofre. Lost a 46 and crew. There's no room for error. Crap, this one pilot knocked the top off the Seawhiz doing night landing while we were on the smoke deck (fantail). Way to ruin it for US. They unlit the smoking lamp.

I could never figure out which would hurt worse ... going in the drink or landing in those 4" steel cables.

aboutime
04-04-2017, 05:24 PM
We lost a bird off San Onofre. Lost a 46 and crew. There's no room for error. Crap, this one pilot knocked the top off the Seawhiz doing night landing while we were on the smoke deck (fantail). Way to ruin it for US. They unlit the smoking lamp.

I could never figure out which would hurt worse ... going in the drink or landing in those 4" steel cables.

I only did one COD flight during all my years. Not a landing, but a takeoff. I think I'd rather have those cables stop me. Hitting the water must be like hitting a brick wall at 100 mph. Either way. As the old movies used to say "CURTAINS!":laugh:

Gunny
04-04-2017, 05:42 PM
I only did one COD flight during all my years. Not a landing, but a takeoff. I think I'd rather have those cables stop me. Hitting the water must be like hitting a brick wall at 100 mph. Either way. As the old movies used to say "CURTAINS!":laugh:I used to stand at the rail and look down at those cables and be like "that crap's gonna hurt".:laugh: Getting sucked under the props was not a viable option. I think the word is screwed. :laugh: