PDA

View Full Version : US will take action on Syrian chemical attacks if UN doesn't

jimnyc
04-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Hmmmmm.... depending on the UN for something?

---

US will take action on Syrian chemical attacks if UN doesn't

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley warned Wednesday that the Trump administration will take action against chemical attacks in Syria that bear "all the hallmarks" of President Bashar Assad's government if the U.N. Security Council fails to act.

Haley urged the council at an emergency meeting to immediately approve a resolution drafted by the U.S., Britain and France that condemns and threatens consequences for the use of chemical weapons, especially in Tuesday's attack that killed dozens of people in rebel-held Idlib province.

"There are times at the United Nations when we are compelled to take collective action," she said. "When the United Nations consistently fails in its duty to act collectively, there are times in the life of states that we are compelled to take our own action."

"For the sake of the victims, I hope the rest of the council is finally willing to do the same," she added.

Haley spoke after Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova announced Moscow's opposition to the draft resolution. She called it "categorically unacceptable" because "it runs ahead of the investigation results and names the culprit, Damascus."

"The main task now is to have an objective inquiry into what happened," Russia's deputy U.N. ambassador Vladimir Safronkov told the Security Council. "Up to now all falsified reports about this incident have come from the White Helmets or the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights based in London which have been discredited long ago."

He said that from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on April 4, the Syrian government carried out an airstrike on the eastern edge of the opposition-held town of Khan Sheikhoun "on a large warehouse of ammunition and military equipment."

On that compound, he said, there was a facility "to produce ammunition with the use of toxic weapons" which was supposed to be used in Iraq and Aleppo.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-action-syrian-chemical-attacks-180704489.html

Gunny
04-05-2017, 07:00 PM

---

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley warned Wednesday that the Trump administration will take action against chemical attacks in Syria that bear "all the hallmarks" of President Bashar Assad's government if the U.N. Security Council fails to act.

Haley urged the council at an emergency meeting to immediately approve a resolution drafted by the U.S., Britain and France that condemns and threatens consequences for the use of chemical weapons, especially in Tuesday's attack that killed dozens of people in rebel-held Idlib province.

"There are times at the United Nations when we are compelled to take collective action," she said. "When the United Nations consistently fails in its duty to act collectively, there are times in the life of states that we are compelled to take our own action."

"For the sake of the victims, I hope the rest of the council is finally willing to do the same," she added.

Haley spoke after Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova announced Moscow's opposition to the draft resolution. She called it "categorically unacceptable" because "it runs ahead of the investigation results and names the culprit, Damascus."

"The main task now is to have an objective inquiry into what happened," Russia's deputy U.N. ambassador Vladimir Safronkov told the Security Council. "Up to now all falsified reports about this incident have come from the White Helmets or the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights based in London which have been discredited long ago."

He said that from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. on April 4, the Syrian government carried out an airstrike on the eastern edge of the opposition-held town of Khan Sheikhoun "on a large warehouse of ammunition and military equipment."

On that compound, he said, there was a facility "to produce ammunition with the use of toxic weapons" which was supposed to be used in Iraq and Aleppo.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-action-syrian-chemical-attacks-180704489.htmlLet's be real here ... how many UN actions have succeeded? Korea? Vietnam? Angola? The Congo? Sudan? The UN loses more than the Cleveland Browns.

aboutime
04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
I won't pretend to know any more than anyone else here. But..I have full confidence that TRUMP, and MAD DOG have been working on plans...REAL PLANS, not just BS to appease the weaklings in Congress.

Today, a reporter asked Trump what he plans to do. He said..Nothing is off the table, so-to speak, and that he won't play an Obama game of Telling the enemy what, and when our next move will happen to allow them to prepare to HIDE.

"YOU'LL SEE!" Is what the President said. That's enough for me.

Balu
04-06-2017, 12:44 AM

---

May be I've omitted something, but has anybody presented proofs of CHEMICAL ATTACKS in Syria rather then the bombardment of the terrorists depots of chemicals supplied by the USA and GB similar to those found in Aleppo?

aboutime
04-06-2017, 07:18 PM
May be I've omitted something, but has anybody presented proofs of CHEMICAL ATTACKS in Syria rather then the bombardment of the terrorists depots of chemicals supplied by the USA and GB similar to those found in Aleppo?

RED LINE-----------------------------------------------------------
Balu. At this point. Nobody needs to prove where the attacks of Chemicals came from to keep an argument going.

What is taking place in Syria, mostly in Aleppo over the last year is GENOCIDE.
There are no other words to describe it, and it no longer matters WHO delivered the GAS to murder, and maim those innocent people.

Our president has the GONADS (intestinal fortitude), we call BALLS, to DO WHAT IS NEEDED TO STOP....WHOEVER IS GUILTY.
In his words from yesterday...."YOU'LL SEE!"

gabosaurus
04-06-2017, 07:33 PM
The U.N. made multiple attempts to sanction Syria for killing its own people. All the motions have been blocked by RUSSIA, which has veto power.
This is the road block Obama faced. He relied too much on the U.N. and made too many concessions to Putin.
Trump faces a road block as well. Putin has stated that Russia's support for Syria is non-negotiable. And that it will "answer" any interference by the U.S. or any other country.
Does Trump want to play chicken with Putin over Syria? I would fully support him if he did. But the Trump administration needs to find out that kind of "answer" that Russia would have.

Drummond
04-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Surely, an exhaustive investigation will clear all of that up, and get to the truth of the matter ? We should all want that to happen, and nobody should have reason to in any way limit or hamper such an investigation.

So as of this moment, and temporarily at least, this is a moot point.

Balu, I noted elsewhere that Russia has sought to limit the terms of the Resolution meant to lead to the intended investigation. As I read it, Russia's intervention tries to skew the terms of reference so that the Assad regime is far less answerable to investigators than would otherwise be the case.

Tell me WHY Russia would need that to happen.

It's clear in the original wording that the Assad regime should be answerable to those investigators. If, in fact, that regime has no culpablity for what happened ... why, then, would this ever be an issue ?

Why has Russia MADE IT ONE, through their efforts to limit the investigation's scope ?

Kathianne
04-06-2017, 08:19 PM
and there is a response:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?58789-US-Fires-At-Least-30-Tomahawks-At-Syria&p=862696#post862696