PDA

View Full Version : What do current public opinion polls tell us about policy merit?

sear
04-06-2017, 12:42 PM
This morning former newspaper editor Ira Fussfeld reported that among our four leaders:
- President Trump
- Speaker Ryan
- Majority Leader McConnell
- Minority Leader Schumer

It's McConnell (R-KY) that is at the bottom of the heap in popularity, according to Fussfeld at 14%.

And McConnell is the one responsible for suppressing a vote on Obama's SCOTUS nominee Merit Garland,
and ALSO threatening / planning "the nuclear option" to install Gorsuch into Scalia's SCOTUS seat.

Is there a connection?

Or is McConnell's popularity at 14% for some other reason?

jimnyc
04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
This morning former newspaper editor Ira Fussfeld reported that among our four leaders:
- President Trump
- Speaker Ryan
- Majority Leader McConnell
- Minority Leader Schumer

It's McConnell (R-KY) that is at the bottom of the heap in popularity, according to Fussfeld at 14%.

And McConnell is the one responsible for suppressing a vote on Obama's SCOTUS nominee Merit Garland,
and ALSO threatening / planning "the nuclear option" to install Gorsuch into Scalia's SCOTUS seat.

Is there a connection?

Or is McConnell's popularity at 14% for some other reason?

He'll be jumping up in public opinion after this successful move, at least for those on the right. And those on the left will hate him of course. But Gorsuch will be in for life, and that's all that matters.

sear
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
He'll be jumping up in public opinion after this successful move, at least for those on the right. And those on the left will hate him of course. But Gorsuch will be in for life, and that's all that matters.
An apparent difference of opinion ensues, per the perspective of the following mystery author (identity to be revealed only if you follow the link):

My point would be that it shouldn't be about "opposition". It should be "what's best for We, the People of the United States". The Dems have turned every issue into a nutroll at every turn since the 80s. All y'all think is "Vote Dem" regardless the right or wrong or in the best interest of EVERYONE.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?58730-Political-Fairness-Should-the-Dems-block-the-senate-Gorsuch-vote/page3

jimnyc
04-06-2017, 01:49 PM
An apparent difference of opinion ensues, per the perspective of the following mystery author (identity to be revealed only if you follow the link):

And I believe that's exactly what's happening. The senate will apparently be voting in the manner that the overwhelming majority of justices were voted in with, with a simple majority. This IS what is best for the USA, NOT to filibuster based on partisan politics.

aboutime
04-06-2017, 08:42 PM
sear. Nobody knows who editor Ira Fussfeld is. Nor do we care. Because one man who worked on a newspaper says something. Are we expected to believe everything he says?

There are 320 million Americans, all of whom have their own opinions that differ from you, and this man Fussfeld. So...who has the correct opinion? Other than YOU, of course?

sear
04-07-2017, 05:16 AM
"Nobody knows who editor Ira Fussfeld is. Nor do we care. Because one man who worked on a newspaper says something. Are we expected to believe everything he says?" at #5

What a superb point my cyber-friend!

You have skillfully introduced what is called a "teachable moment" here.

"Believe nothing,
No matter where you read it,
Or who has said it,
Not even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense." Buddha

"Ideas are not for believing. Ideas are for using." psychologist Joy Browne

"When the picture doesn't make any sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing." psychologist Joy Browne
Your point would be completely valid IF the comment I mentioned was an assertion based upon AUTHORITY.

It never was, nor need it be.
It's simply an idea that you and others may:
- accept
- reject, or
- consider.
This may come as a surprise to you. But I am not Emperor of the Cosmos. I do not presume to dictate what you believe.

Instead I offer a variety of insights in hope that some might find them useful.

"There are 320 million Americans, all of whom have their own opinions that differ from you" at #5

That's unlikely.
a) You imply that I'm a minority of one on it. What is that? An 8 sigma fluke?

b) It's more likely to be about 160 million U.S. citizens "all of whom have their own opinions that differ from" me. Thus the First Amendment!

"and this man Fussfeld. So...who has the correct opinion? Other than YOU, of course?" at #5

That sir, is for YOU to decide.
And my sincere thanks to you sir for providing me this opportunity to make this apparently important point.

aboutime
04-07-2017, 02:01 PM
"Nobody knows who editor Ira Fussfeld is. Nor do we care. Because one man who worked on a newspaper says something. Are we expected to believe everything he says?" at #5

What a superb point my cyber-friend!

You have skillfully introduced what is called a "teachable moment" here.

Your point would be completely valid IF the comment I mentioned was an assertion based upon AUTHORITY.

It never was, nor need it be.
It's simply an idea that you and others may:
- accept
- reject, or
- consider.
This may come as a surprise to you. But I am not Emperor of the Cosmos. I do not presume to dictate what you believe.

Instead I offer a variety of insights in hope that some might find them useful.

"There are 320 million Americans, all of whom have their own opinions that differ from you" at #5

That's unlikely.
a) You imply that I'm a minority of one on it. What is that? An 8 sigma fluke?

b) It's more likely to be about 160 million U.S. citizens "all of whom have their own opinions that differ from" me. Thus the First Amendment!

"and this man Fussfeld. So...who has the correct opinion? Other than YOU, of course?" at #5

That sir, is for YOU to decide.
And my sincere thanks to you sir for providing me this opportunity to make this apparently important point.

In keeping with your patronizing, arrogance. I no longer wish to deal with YOU...
sear. Were you born this ignorant, or did you work on it?

TROLLING for liberals who believe lies is your game.

Speaking of teachable moments. Did your Sheepskin from PRE-SCHOOL arrive yet?