PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Be A Good Week

Kathianne
04-21-2017, 09:49 PM
My brother and sister-in-law are driving from the airport in Phoenix right now. Will be here until next Friday morning and I lucked out, boss let me take 2 floating holidays, so I'll only be working Sunday and Thursday while they're here!

We don't have all our plans finalized, but the one definite is on Tuesday:

https://verdecanyonrr.com/

My SIL is a bit fussy, so we're going:

First-class passage, accommodating fewer passengers than coach, includes spacious living room-style seating near panoramic windows. Other amenities include a Champagne toast upon boarding, full-service cash-bars presenting premium liquors, service at your seat and a variety of complimentary appetizers.

We are really hoping to see the eagles:

https://verdecanyonrr.com/journey/wildlife/

Elessar
04-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Those excursions sound like a really good time.

hjmick
04-22-2017, 06:18 PM
"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin

SassyLady
04-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Enjoy! I want to do the train ride someday so looking forward to your review.

Kathianne
04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin

Nah, they are staying at a resort in Sedona, about 20 minutes away! They shower, regularly. ;)
Last night we met to get them 'alcohol, now!' then continued onto Sedona. I drank coffee and Vitamin Water, they relaxed! Seems the brilliant brother is much the same as me in our old age. He woke at 3, went to work until noon, then raced to get SIL and onto the airport. They lost 2 hours coming here, couldn't understand why he was dragging.

Even some of the highways go down to 1 lane in each direction. There was an accident that backed up for 2.5 miles. Luckily when the police came, it was up one ramp, down the other. Still it added 1/2 hour or so.

They called around 9, we'd decided to do breakfast at 'the famous Coffee Pot' which is one of my favorites. Then to Safeway to pick them up some breakfast and lunch stuff. By the time we got groceries put away, it was after 1. We went to The Copper Museum in Clarkdale, which was surprisingly educational and interesting. I seriously did NOT know that 'Old Ironsides,' The USS Constitution's Hull was not covered with iron, but copper. We then went to an art festival in Old Towne Cottonwood. There was a decent band and some interesting art, along with jewelry. SIL picked up a copper and sterling bracelet, she was happy. We to Church, which on Saturday EVERY Catholic knows is supposed to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes-tops. Seriously an hour and 15 minutes! My friend was meeting us for dinner, so as soon as 'Peace be with you,' texted her and said, "Be there in 15." Great Mexican place. We were talking politics, including Chicago. Jim said something about the police, boom. A Cottonwood cop and State Trooper start talking to us, across the restaurant. The fraternity of police... LOL!

Tomorrow our plan is to head to Prescott after I get off work and trail walk. Unless we decide to just hang at the pool. Monday or Wednesday we're thinking Grand Canyon, Tues is reserved for train tour. Whichever day we don't go, we plan to drive through Oak Creek and onto Flagstaff. Thursday is when we're likely to do the pool. Friday morning they leave around 9. :( It's been fun so far, not going to dread them leaving until Thursday night. :)

Kathianne
04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Enjoy! I want to do the train ride someday so looking forward to your review.

I'll let you know, if it's as good as I've heard, maybe I'd do it again! :beer:

hjmick
04-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Nah, they are staying at a resort in Sedona, about 20 minutes away! They shower, regularly. ;)
Last night we met to get them 'alcohol, now!' then continued onto Sedona. I drank coffee and Vitamin Water, they relaxed! Seems the brilliant brother is much the same as me in our old age. He woke at 3, went to work until noon, then raced to get SIL and onto the airport. They lost 2 hours coming here, couldn't understand why he was dragging.

Even some of the highways go down to 1 lane in each direction. There was an accident that backed up for 2.5 miles. Luckily when the police came, it was up one ramp, down the other. Still it added 1/2 hour or so.

They called around 9, we'd decided to do breakfast at 'the famous Coffee Pot' which is one of my favorites. Then to Safeway to pick them up some breakfast and lunch stuff. By the time we got groceries put away, it was after 1. We went to The Copper Museum in Clarkdale, which was surprisingly educational and interesting. I seriously did NOT know that 'Old Ironsides,' The USS Constitution's Hull was not covered with iron, but copper. We then went to an art festival in Old Towne Cottonwood. There was a decent band and some interesting art, along with jewelry. SIL picked up a copper and sterling bracelet, she was happy. We to Church, which on Saturday EVERY Catholic knows is supposed to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes-tops. Seriously an hour and 15 minutes! My friend was meeting us for dinner, so as soon as 'Peace be with you,' texted her and said, "Be there in 15." Great Mexican place. We were talking politics, including Chicago. Jim said something about the police, boom. A Cottonwood cop and State Trooper start talking to us, across the restaurant. The fraternity of police... LOL!

Tomorrow our plan is to head to Prescott after I get off work and trail walk. Unless we decide to just hang at the pool. Monday or Wednesday we're thinking Grand Canyon, Tues is reserved for train tour. Whichever day we don't go, we plan to drive through Oak Creek and onto Flagstaff. Thursday is when we're likely to do the pool. Friday morning they leave around 9. :( It's been fun so far, not going to dread them leaving until Thursday night. :)

Are you in Flagstaff or Phoenix I see no mention of a visit to In-N-Out Burger...

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 06:39 AM
Are you in Flagstaff or Phoenix I see no mention of a visit to In-N-Out Burger...

Have settled about 20 miles south of Sedona, which is about 30 miles south of Flagstaff. Phoenix is too hot! LOL! If it weren't for winter, I'd like Flagstaff. ;)

The high desert is really beautiful and I'm adjusting to warmer weather.

Someday I'm going to check out In-and Out Burger, but I've yet to find one outside of greater Phoenix area, which I've really only gone to for airport and then in a rush. ;)

hjmick
04-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Have settled about 20 miles south of Sedona, which is about 30 miles south of Flagstaff. Phoenix is too hot! LOL! If it weren't for winter, I'd like Flagstaff. ;)

The high desert is really beautiful and I'm adjusting to warmer weather.

Someday I'm going to check out In-and Out Burger, but I've yet to find one outside of greater Phoenix area, which I've really only gone to for airport and then in a rush. ;)

There's one in Prescott...

And last July they announced plans to build one in Flagstaff...

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 07:12 AM
There's one in Prescott...

And last July they announced plans to build one in Flagstaff...

Then I will keep an eye out. It's funny but it seems when I go to either, I've nearly always got a friend or more in tow. Then it seems we look for someplace 'different' that we can have lunch or dinner. Fast food never is in the running. Perhaps today with brother and SIL they'll consider, though SIL is a bit of fast food phobic. LOL!

Abbey Marie
04-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Sounds great, Kath. I really need to get out west someday.

Gunny
04-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Enjoy! I want to do the train ride someday so looking forward to your review.You've never been on a train? Interesting. That's how we traveled in the 60s. We only flew if it was on orders and the military was paying. Flying was a luxury back then.

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Sounds great, Kath. I really need to get out west someday.

Would be thrilled to have you. The place they'ree at is great, close but secluded. Nicer kitchen than mine! Pool right by their condo.

hjmick
04-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Then I will keep an eye out. It's funny but it seems when I go to either, I've nearly always got a friend or more in tow. Then it seems we look for someplace 'different' that we can have lunch or dinner. Fast food never is in the running. Perhaps today with brother and SIL they'll consider, though SIL is a bit of fast food phobic. LOL!

There's fast food, then there's In-N-Out...

Black Diamond
04-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Yummy

Abbey Marie
04-23-2017, 11:53 AM

Looking forward to pics from everywhere you visit!

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 03:28 PM

I'm going to have to try it. Have you had Portillo's?

hjmick
04-23-2017, 04:25 PM

I have not, I've never even heard or it...

Looks good, I see they have one in Tempe and one in Scottsdale...

SassyLady
04-23-2017, 04:36 PM

Which resort are they staying at in Sedona? I was hoping to do the package thing last year for 65th but my friend couldn't get off work. Maybe this year after she moves here from Sacramento. If not, and you like it, maybe you can be my tour guide.
:coffee:

SassyLady
04-23-2017, 04:44 PM
You've never been on a train? Interesting. That's how we traveled in the 60s. We only flew if it was on orders and the military was paying. Flying was a luxury back then.

Gunny, I've been on many, many trains ... AMTRAK mostly but spent honeymoon in Ft. Bragg and did the Skunk Train. Just haven't done Verde Canyon Train in Arizona. My brothers and I hopped a freight train out of Bakersfield in the 60s and planned to ride over the mountain to Mojave where my aunt lived but they caught us in Techachapi. I think my butt still hurts from the blistering we got for that stunt.

Black Diamond
04-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Portillo's is the best hot dog. And good malts and fries.

Black Diamond
04-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Have you been to the rusty spur in Scottsdale?

hjmick
04-23-2017, 05:04 PM

I have not...

Black Diamond
04-23-2017, 05:54 PM
I have not...
They play redneck instead of coral reefers. :cool:

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 10:21 PM

Those just opened recently. The first was in the town over from where I grew up, in a trailer! Very good!

Well, my SIL did not want In and Out, so we went to http://www.murphysprescott.com/ with our sleeveless shirts, windblown hair, and a bit of sun/wind burns. ;)

Tomorrow we're having a resort day. Grilling something and taking it easy. Pool, exercise club, and naps! :laugh2:

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Looking forward to pics from everywhere you visit!

Coffee Pot Restaurant in Sedona:

Don't know those people, just got a shot of the room we were in. Really wanted to sit on the patio, but would have had to wait too long.

http://i67.tinypic.com/10dz5vc.jpg

Copper Museum in Clarkdale:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2d83zaq.jpg

At Lake Watson, yesterday:

Brother and SIL:

http://i63.tinypic.com/654lk5.jpg

Bro & I, maybe Jim can turn it upside right? SIL was using my phone:

http://i.imgur.com/uayLd9l.jpg

Dinner in Old Towne Prescott:

http://i65.tinypic.com/15gdsg2.jpg

Today we're going to pool sit, maybe walk some trails by the resort, hit the fitness room, and grill. I'm hoping for an early night! Tomorrow is the Railroad tour.

We may do the Grand Canyon Wednesday, still up in the air-I'm waiting to hear from Doc about the ultrasound on shoulder. We know we can't go Thursday, I work until 1 and with that not enough time. Friday they leave around 9 am. So far though, it's been so great to have them so close!

Abbey Marie
04-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Kath, only you would find a restaurant called "Coffee Pot", lol! Well, you and Rick, anyway.
Thanks for the pics- keep them coming. Brother isn't tiny, is he?

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Kath, only you would find a restaurant called Coffee Pot", lol! Well, you and Rick, anyway.
Thanks for the pics- keep them coming. Brother isn't tiny, is he?

LOL! The name had me from the getgo! Imagine my surprise to find out it was named for a mountain rock?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9899&stc=1

No, the gods were not fair in doling out the height in family. LOL! Just a tad over a foot difference. (I should have stood on a rock!)

Gunny
04-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Kath, only you would find a restaurant called Coffee Pot", lol! Well, you and Rick, anyway.
Thanks for the pics- keep them coming. Brother isn't tiny, is he?Apparently Abs you've never been in the SW. We have places to eat call "A Place to Eat". :laugh: don't kick my a$$ out of the club.

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Portillo's is the best hot dog. And good malts and fries.

They are known for their dogs, I don't like any hot dogs. ;) Now their Italian beef and burgers are to die for! Their chocolate cake, coma time!

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Apparently Abs you've never been in the SW. We have places to eat call "A Place to Eat". :laugh: don't kick my a$$ out of the club.

On the ride to Clarkdale, passed a sign pointing to 'Dead Horse Ranch,' brother was like, "Who the hell would bring their horse there to be stabled?" LOL! It's actually a beautiful resort.

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 11:40 AM
I need to get moving, Jim called and he's going walking. Paula, like me, still in her jammies. Going to drive to resort, then run to get dinner fixings. After that? Relax.

Really looking forward to some down time.

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm off! Will see you all tonight or not. (I've been so tired with all the running around.) Have a good day!

Abbey Marie
04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Apparently Abs you've never been in the SW. We have places to eat call "A Place to Eat". :laugh: don't kick my a$$ out of the club.

Haha, simple folk, ey? ;)

Kathianne
04-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Poppin in, just got home. I wanna catch up, but figure I'll be asleep before long.

No pics for today, I forgot. LOL! We really just chilled, literally. SIL and I ran and got stuff to grill, then picked up her prescription. Put stuff away then watched, "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding," well Jim and I did, Paula fell asleep.

Afterwards, changed to bathing suits, went to the pool. I was cold, it was in low 70's, Paula agreed. Jim went into hot tub. We sat around the pool for about 4 hours, not swimming. It was good though, talked about Jay, more on that after they're gone on Friday. We read books, talked about friends, just chilled. Around 5:30, Jim did the grilling, Paula and I'd prepped everything when we came in from store. It was very good, I love grilled food, just seems too much for one person though.

Watched the end of "Funny Girl," then I headed home. A good day.

Tomorrow Verde Valley Rail Road!

Kathianne
04-25-2017, 10:48 PM
It was worth the nearly $100 a ticket. It was that good!

It was windy and I was stretching the right arm, no LOL's! LOL!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9905&stc=1

I tried to get some pics of eagles, they were flying all around, but couldn't steady the phone, so here's one with a nest at top, you can't see the next, but it's there! At the top right, the nest overhangs a bit.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9906&stc=1

Here's a pic of the train going around the curve, we're at the back of the train, watching the front:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9907&stc=1

A couple pics of the Verde River, where the Verde Valley gets its name:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9908&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9909&stc=1

Kathianne
04-25-2017, 10:54 PM
The inside of our car:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9911&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9912&stc=1

One last pic, showing why it's called, "Verde Valley":

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9910&stc=1

The train pulled into the depot around 5. Afterwards we went to Jerome and walked around a bit. We ate a place called, "The Haunted Hamburger," it was good, but the name cracked us up. Jerome is a bit over the top. I'll try to post some from there tomorrow, but it is getting late and we're off to the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Kathianne
04-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Fast change in plans. I goofed on time to GC, instead of 1.5-2 hours, it's 2.5-3. So we're going to Flagstaff or maybe Oak Creek. Jim is the only one who can drive the rental and he said 6 hours driving then heading for Phoenix Friday might be pushing it. We've all been and they are planning on visiting again sooner this time.

They belong to Diamond Resorts, which they use a lot. I think it's a time share deal, but they're all over the country. Best thing is, I can use it, so can my kids. Amazing.

Oh well, we're still planning on an 8:00 start, so I'm going to settle down.

Black Diamond
04-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Fast change in plans. I goofed on time to GC, instead of 1.5-2 hours, it's 2.5-3. So we're going to Flagstaff or maybe Oak Creek. Jim is the only one who can drive the rental and he said 6 hours driving then heading for Phoenix Friday might be pushing it. We've all been and they are planning on visiting again sooner this time.

They belong to Diamond Resorts, which they use a lot. I think it's a time share deal, but they're all over the country. Best thing is, I can use it, so can my kids. Amazing.

Oh well, we're still planning on an 8:00 start, so I'm going to settle down.
Are you taking the long way through the east entrance? Or straight to the main entrance?

Kathianne
04-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Are you taking the long way through the east entrance? Or straight to the main entrance?

Are you referring to the Canyon? We had a change of plan.

Flag? We're taking the scenic route, 89A, but leaving at 8 to avoid traffic, it's gotten terrible.

Abbey Marie
04-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Another cute name. :cool:

Abbey Marie
04-26-2017, 09:10 AM
And The Haunted Hamburger too? I've decided the east coast has no sense of humor!

Kathianne
04-26-2017, 11:52 PM
Today we headed for Slide Rock, before heading to Flagstaff.

Where Jim and Paula were staying:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2chuof7.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/33f8i1d.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/anynbq.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2vt5xs9.jpg

Yes, this old lady had to climb down and up this, without hurting the shoulder!

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vikttv.jpg

Kathianne
04-27-2017, 12:07 AM
After a couple hours at Slide Rock, we headed to Flagstaff. We stopped at 'scenic view' looking over and down Oak Creek Canyon:

http://i63.tinypic.com/wtghhj.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2wozwvd.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2iw60xu.jpg

Kathianne
04-27-2017, 12:13 AM
Then we finally got to Flagstaff, around 2. I desperately needed coffee! :coffee:
I hope Abbey likes the name:
http://i65.tinypic.com/24l4nrn.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ylr5fp.jpg

Yes, took this one and thought of Abbey:
http://i66.tinypic.com/30rtvkz.jpg

Kathianne
04-27-2017, 12:16 AM
I was in the back seat on the ride home back, I fell asleep! LOL! Went swimming and in the hot tub then headed home. Work in the morning, then driving to their resort with no plans as of yet. ;)

I can't believe the week is near over. :(

Abbey Marie
04-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Not enough coffee?

I do like the name. Try not to feel sad when they leave. That always happens to me!

Kathianne
04-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Well Abbey, the 'sadness' is setting in, knew it would. Today we went to the Tuzigoot National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm), after I got off work. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. It's about 10 minutes from my house, I'd only walked the grounds. It really was fascinating. Jim and Paula walked downtown Sedona this morning, Jim got a Safari/dessert hat, his neck was getting sunburned. Had to laugh, "Why didn't you pick on up at the beginning of the week?" "Dunno, I'll use it when golfing". ;)

They stopped by my work, asked me to meet them for lunch. I had to run home and call the doctor, want those ultrasound results. Considering the time, I thought they wouldn't want dinner and that indeed was the case. All of us are dragging, (remember I fell asleep coming back from Flag?) :laugh2:We're meeting by me for breakfast at 8:30, then they are on their way to Sky Harbor. :cry:

I mentioned in one of the first posts when they got here, we need prayers for Jay. They do need to get back. Jay called the night they came in, he's been having lots of problems with fluid build-up in the brain again, over the past year he's been having to have it drained nearly every month, though he can feel the build up after just hours. It causes him to have seizures, horrendous headaches and more loss of memory.

The cyst, not the tumor has over doubled in size in a bit less than a year, it's building too much pressure. Mayo, like Loyola before hasn't seen anything like this. They told him they need to do another Craniotomy? Not sure of the term, but again they need to open the skull, then they are going to remove all the previous 'reservoirs' that have been used in attempts to drain the fluid. They are going to try a new procedure, which I don't understand on the medical level, just what it comes down to bottom line.

They are going to attach some type of vein or something as close to the base of the cyst as possible, leading to drain into some other place, where the body can dispose of. Problem is obviously this will be third time of opening his skull in 10 years, 5th surgery. Again they will have to remove the membrane that protects the brain and go into the brain. While they know that he may lose more memory, more speech, more unsure. They cannot give an estimate on recovery and rehab. He's got a 6 year old and 3 year old. :(

Really is little choice, though he could just keep going for the drainage, at this point even the neurosurgeons think the potential benefits outweigh the risks. He agrees, his wife agrees. His parents? Tough, they are scared of his dying and his not being 'okay' after. Anyways, Paula is going to meet him at Mayo Sunday night, Jim is going to take care of the boys. Prayers would be good, very good.

Abbey Marie
04-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Prayers for certain, Kath. How scary and stressful. I think they are making the only real choice they can make.

Kathianne
04-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Here's the pics from Tuzigoot, ruins from an ancient Southern Sinagua village:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2cs9ox4.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/23r7thy.jpg

They started down a trail before me, notice Jim's 'safari hat?' LOL!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2jal1c3.jpg

Dessert flowers, the dark pink ones are actually flowering cacti:

http://i66.tinypic.com/ixh928.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nxon7t.jpg

jimnyc
04-28-2017, 07:28 PM
This was so strange. It was sideways, as we both saw. All I did was save it to my desktop, and it was right side up! I saved it to imgur, then linked here, and all is good.

Funny, longer than a decade that I've known you, and this is maybe the 2nd photo I've seen of you? Lookin great!!

Bro & I, maybe Jim can turn it upside right? SIL was using my phone:

http://i.imgur.com/uayLd9l.jpg

jimnyc
04-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Great pics, Kath!!

Looks like a lot of fun. I would have LOVED the train portion. I love scenic train rides. And of course being with family. :)

Kathianne
04-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Which resort are they staying at in Sedona? I was hoping to do the package thing last year for 65th but my friend couldn't get off work. Maybe this year after she moves here from Sacramento. If not, and you like it, maybe you can be my tour guide.

They stayed at the Sedona Summit. It's part of Diamond International, they have some sort of timeshare deal with them. It works for them, they travel a lot. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but they get great rates on the rooms. This trip had a kitchenette, with full size fridge, dishwasher, blender, etc. They have bags, not those little packets of coffee, full size maker. Laundry in room. Two bedrooms, two baths with two person jacuzzi. Fireplace in living room. Gas grill/picnic tables outside of room. Off the patio was an ice maker-which they found after buying ice. LOL!

I think there are 3 pools with hot tubs. Very nice workout room. You can trail walk from the complex to two ruins a few miles away. There are lots of smaller trails off their area.

There are 3 resorts they could have chosen from in Sedona with their membership. They chose this one as it was the closest to where I live, it's on the southern edge of Sedona, away from the downtown.

jimnyc
04-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Well Abbey, the 'sadness' is setting in, knew it would. Today we went to the Tuzigoot National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm), after I got off work. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. It's about 10 minutes from my house, I'd only walked the grounds. It really was fascinating. Jim and Paula walked downtown Sedona this morning, Jim got a Safari/dessert hat, his neck was getting sunburned. Had to laugh, "Why didn't you pick on up at the beginning of the week?" "Dunno, I'll use it when golfing". ;)

They stopped by my work, asked me to meet them for lunch. I had to run home and call the doctor, want those ultrasound results. Considering the time, I thought they wouldn't want dinner and that indeed was the case. All of us are dragging, (remember I fell asleep coming back from Flag?) :laugh2:We're meeting by me for breakfast at 8:30, then they are on their way to Sky Harbor. :cry:

I mentioned in one of the first posts when they got here, we need prayers for Jay. They do need to get back. Jay called the night they came in, he's been having lots of problems with fluid build-up in the brain again, over the past year he's been having to have it drained nearly every month, though he can feel the build up after just hours. It causes him to have seizures, horrendous headaches and more loss of memory.

The cyst, not the tumor has over doubled in size in a bit less than a year, it's building too much pressure. Mayo, like Loyola before hasn't seen anything like this. They told him they need to do another Craniotomy? Not sure of the term, but again they need to open the skull, then they are going to remove all the previous 'reservoirs' that have been used in attempts to drain the fluid. They are going to try a new procedure, which I don't understand on the medical level, just what it comes down to bottom line.

They are going to attach some type of vein or something as close to the base of the cyst as possible, leading to drain into some other place, where the body can dispose of. Problem is obviously this will be third time of opening his skull in 10 years, 5th surgery. Again they will have to remove the membrane that protects the brain and go into the brain. While they know that he may lose more memory, more speech, more unsure. They cannot give an estimate on recovery and rehab. He's got a 6 year old and 3 year old. :(

Really is little choice, though he could just keep going for the drainage, at this point even the neurosurgeons think the potential benefits outweigh the risks. He agrees, his wife agrees. His parents? Tough, they are scared of his dying and his not being 'okay' after. Anyways, Paula is going to meet him at Mayo Sunday night, Jim is going to take care of the boys. Prayers would be good, very good.

I'm really really sorry to read this, Kath. :(

Jay will be in my prayers, same for you and the family. I hope it all works out for the best.

Kathianne
04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks Jim and Abbey, we can use all the prayers we can get. Fingers crossed that all goes well, I'll let you know Monday or Tuesday.

Funny story. Early fall last year, a friend and I went 'adventuring' and one of the places we went, about 1/2 hour away, was Montezuma's Castle. It's not really a castle, but a National Monument featuring the ruins of cave dwelling Native Americans in Camp Verde. The most details were in the guest area/museum area. The actual ruins are not open, just can walk and look at the openings and try to visualize what you saw in the models.

Anyways, when we first went in the person checking us in asked if we had the "America The Beautiful" pass. Eligible when you turn 62. My friend was turning that in October, missed it by a month. I hit it in January, but this was my first time in National Park since. Bought it yesterday, $10, same as entry. With that, Jim and Paula were 'free,' as my guests. LOL! Whenever someone comes and we go to the Grand Canyon or any park where they charge by the car, rather than #, the car is free if I'm there! Otherwise, any kids with me under 13 and up to 3 adults, are my 'guests.'

It also gives discounts in camping or rental fees-again like the Grand Canyon, where they have accommodations that are like cabins. Considering they are pretty inexpensive to begin with, it's a cool deal. Getting old has more than a few downsides, this is one of the opposites!

Kathianne
05-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Abbey and jimnyc

Jay is out of surgery and in recovery. Should be moved to ICU in a few hours. Will know more when SIL talks with surgeon and certainly when Jay is awake. Keep praying!

Abbey Marie
05-01-2017, 08:45 PM
@Abbey (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=11) and @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)

Jay is out of surgery and in recovery. Should be moved to ICU in a few hours. Will know more when SIL talks with surgeon and certainly when Jay is awake. Keep praying!

Yay! One big hurdle down.

Kathianne
05-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Yay! One big hurdle down.

Paula called, the surgeon said things went as good as they could. Will know more with time, especially if this 'diversion attempt' works. Jay recognized his mom and wife, called their names. Knew the date and year. Could not recall the docs names, where he was, why he was there. That's pretty normal right out of this type of surgery. (3X having this done, guess that makes it 'normal'?) As before, he's having word retrieval problems, but recovered most fairly quickly with rehab.

Please keep praying, though we're so grateful that he survived and so far it sounds like he's doing well.

Abbey Marie
05-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Going to pray right now.

SassyLady
05-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Adding my prayers for Jay, Kathianne.

Abbey Marie
05-04-2017, 06:40 PM
I prayed for Jay again last nightt- please give us good news!

Kathianne
05-04-2017, 07:51 PM
I prayed for Jay again last nightt- please give us good news!

Thank you. He's having memory problems, now even with names of people he knows. He can't tell his birthday, but if given a written clue Like, Aug*** 1*, 19**, he can fill in the blanks. Obviously he's already in rehab, will get more when released, no idea of how long this will take. Last time it was 4 months, 4X a week. Some balance problems, but that's coming along fast from what my SIL says. His wife had to leave yesterday, both for work and the boys.

We'll just keep praying. As my brother said, "He made it through, again. Grateful."

Kathianne
05-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Paula is driving Jay home! She texted that he's still having difficulty with words, but did make himself clear that he wanted Jimmy John's for lunch. ;) He'll start various rehab therapies next week.

Thank you all for the prayers so far, keep them coming!

Kathianne
05-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Guess who's home!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9923&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9924&stc=1
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9925&stc=1
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9926&stc=1http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9927&stc=1

Abbey Marie
05-05-2017, 10:41 PM
:2up: