PDA

View Full Version : Are you prepared?

SassyLady
04-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Solar flares coming

A giant fissure has opened across the sun and is spewing rapid solar winds toward our planet.
NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory got wind of the massive hole Friday morning.
This coronal hole is a vast region where the sun’s magnetic field tears apart, allowing solar wind to escape.
Super-charged solar winds flowing from the sun’s atmosphere are expected to reach Earth on April 23 or 24.
According to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, this could whip up a “moderately strong” geomagnetic storm.
These kinds of storms are behind the beautiful natural phenomenon the Northern Lights. (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2786351/incredible-footage-captures-a-dazzling-northern-lights-display-over-canada/)
But a storm of this magnitude could have an effect on power grids and navigation systems across the Earth’s surface.
G2 storms affect plane and military radio systems, spacecraft operations, and could trigger voltage alarms or cause equipment damage in power systems.

Scientists are growing increasingly concerned over the effect a solar explosion, flare or storm could have on humanity.
Our growing dependence on technology puts humans at a greater risk if power grids, planes and satellites stop working.
US President Barack Obama was forced to issue a chilling warning to the nation in preparation for devastating space storms earlier this year.
He said: “Extreme space weather events — those that could significantly degrade critical infrastructure — could disable large portions of the electrical power grid, resulting in cascading failures that would affect key services such as water supply, health care, and transportation.
“Space weather has the potential to simultaneously affect and disrupt health and safety across entire continents.”

http://nypost.com/2017/04/21/earth-may-experience-blackouts-from-massive-solar-flares/

NightTrain
04-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Solar flares coming

http://nypost.com/2017/04/21/earth-may-experience-blackouts-from-massive-solar-flares/

I'm good to go! :salute:

aboutime
04-22-2017, 09:31 PM
The Sun can do whatever it needs to do, and there is NOBODY on Earth who can do anything about it. So, honestly...Prepared for What?

Not trying to be a smart-ass Sassylady, but....Really. What can any of us do?

To quote an old song..."Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see..." Or, in this case. There is NOTHING we can do.

Gunny
04-23-2017, 03:58 AM
I'm as prepared to not wake up tomorrow as I've ever been.

SassyLady
04-23-2017, 02:00 PM
The Sun can do whatever it needs to do, and there is NOBODY on Earth who can do anything about it. So, honestly...Prepared for What?

Not trying to be a smart-ass Sassylady, but....Really. What can any of us do?

To quote an old song..."Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see..." Or, in this case. There is NOTHING we can do.

If it's a temporary situation of less than a couple of months without electricity I'm good to go. Are you?

And, if it's a permanent SHTF situation I have solutions as well.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-23-2017, 02:53 PM
If it's a temporary situation of less than a couple of months without electricity I'm good to go. Are you?

And, if it's a permanent SHTF situation I have solutions as well.
I have 4 bottles o whiskey, plenty of ammo and enough food to last a couple months.. If that runs out--
I'll take my gun and go to the nearest liquor store--to resupply.. ;)
As everybody else will be heading to grocery stores to shoot it out for food.....--Tyr

Abbey Marie
04-23-2017, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't doubt for a second that NightTrain and Sassy are prepared. And one of them is just going to have take pity on my pathetic unprepared self and take us in.
:coffee:

I do have some supplies of long term food and water, two fireplaces and some woods around us for firewood. But I know that alone isn't going to cut it. For one thing, we need a gun to defend what we have if it hits the fan. People get very ugly, very quickly.

SassyLady
04-23-2017, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't doubt for a second that NightTrain and Sassy are prepared. And one of them is just going to have take pity on my pathetic unprepared self and take us in.

:coffee:

I do have some supplies of long term food and water, two fireplaces and some woods around us for firewood. But I know that alone isn't going to cut it. For one thing, we need a gun to defend what we have if it hits the fan. People get very ugly, very quickly.

No firewood needed here ... bring guns, ammo and sunscreen!

Took part 1 of 3 refresher course last weekend

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9890&stc=1

FYI ... herd of over 15 deer in back yard last week drinking from water trough. Lots of bunnies, dove and other critters to help feed everyone.

Gunny
04-23-2017, 04:44 PM
I have 4 bottles o whiskey, plenty of ammo and enough food to last a couple months.. If that runs out--
I'll take my gun and go to the nearest liquor store--to resupply.. ;)
As everybody else will be heading to grocery stores to shoot it out for food.....--TyrI didn't see firewood on that list. Tyr. Can't roast over a fire without the fire. I go for medium rare and will eat it off the stick. Don't have to wash dishes that way. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-23-2017, 04:56 PM
I didn't see firewood on that list. Tyr. Can't roast over a fire without the fire. I go for medium rare and will eat it off the stick. Don't have to wash dishes that way. :)
Spam(the meat) dont need cooking unless one want to be a chef--besides smoke would bring unwanted two-leg critters and there goes my extra ammo.. ;)
Course, if you bring ammo and fresh meat-let cook and we could tag off on the shooting fun, between shots of gooooooooood whiskey.. ;)
Talk Jeff out of hiding, show up for the fun and we'd have it made..
We get him to dig the graves and we fill 'em up...- ;)
Jim says Jeff will work hard for a bag of gay-pink, marshmellows and a couple six-packs.--Tyr

SassyLady
04-23-2017, 04:58 PM
I didn't see firewood on that list. Tyr. Can't roast over a fire without the fire. I go for medium rare and will eat it off the stick. Don't have to wash dishes that way. :)

Here in Tucson just lay it on the concrete for a minute and you're good to go.

I will solely miss A/C and ice during the blackout. :shitfan:

Gunny
04-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Here in Tucson just lay it on the concrete for a minute and you're good to go.

I will solely miss A/C and ice during the blackout. :shitfan:I'm LMAO. I was stationed in 29 Palms for 4 years. All you got to do is throw that crap on the hood of the car.:laugh2: Might have to turn it a time or two. :laugh2:

Kathianne
04-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Spam(the meat) dont need cooking unless one want to be a chef--besides smoke would bring unwanted two-leg critters and there goes my extra ammo.. ;)
Course, if you bring ammo and fresh meat-let cook and we could tag off on the shooting fun, between shots of gooooooooood whiskey.. ;)
Talk Jeff out of hiding, show up for the fun and we'd have it made..
We get him to dig the graves and we fill 'em up...- ;)
Jim says Jeff will work hard for a bag of gay-pink, marshmellows and a couple six-packs.--Tyr
andgranola bars! ;) Gotta probably be gluten free!