PDA

View Full Version : First transgender Mass

jimnyc
05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
WTF? At least it's in Cuba. I sure hope my church doesn't allow this anytime soon.

I have to wonder about this 'church' and it's pastors and what not. Anyone can buy almost anything online these days, including crap to become pastors and ordained ministers and others.

---

Communist-ruled Cuba hosts first transgender Mass

MATANZAS, Cuba (Reuters) - For decades belonging to a religion and being anything but heterosexual was stigmatized in Communist-ruled, macho Cuba, making the Mass held by three transgender pastors in the western Cuban city of Matanzas all the more groundbreaking.

Rainbow flags decorated the chapel, while the pastors, who had flown in from Brazil, Canada and the United States, wore stoles in the trans hues of light blue, pink and white and the congregation swayed to Caribbean beats.

Friday was the first time a trans pastor held a Holy Communion in Cuba, highlighting how much the island nation has changed since both religious believers and homosexuals went to "correctional" labor camps in the early years after the 1959 revolution.

"Tonight has been a night of celebration of equality between all people, marking a new era for Cuba," said Alexya Salvador, a Brazilian trans pastor, born Alexander, wearing a black dress with a white clerical collar and lacy sleeves she made herself.

"God's love is radically inclusive."

The Mass on Friday was the highlight of a three-day conference on transsexuality and theology organized by the Matanzas-based Cuban branch of the international Metropolitan Community Church.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/communist-ruled-cuba-hosts-first-transgender-mass-123344969.html

tailfins
05-07-2017, 03:46 PM
This has Mariela Castro's fingerprints all over it. One thing that shocked me is that Cuba remains 50% Catholic. I stayed at this Bed and Breakfast in Manicaragua owned by this uber-Catholic woman. She actually softened my disdain for Catholicism a bit. In spite of DECADES of focused repression, the Castro family has been unable to extinguish Catholicism from the island. I guess the Castro-Communists figure if they can't repress a belief in God, at least they can pervert it. If nothing else, I respect the Catholics refusal to be extinguished, irrespective of the cost. If you're wondering what denomination is involved in this, it's the "community church" movement. Here is their link: http://mccchurch.org/