PDA

View Full Version : Well....

CSM
05-10-2017, 02:40 AM
I haven't been posting much of late. I haven't been feeling too well for one reason or another, and I am usually a pretty healthy and energetic person. Well, this past Monday I found out why I haven't been feeling well.

I am sitting in the local hospital posting at 3:30 in the morning because I had a heart attack. It was a real good one too. The cardiologist called it a "widowmaker" . 100% blockage in 2 arteries. Installed stints to fix the problem but had some pretty severe heart damage. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to determine if the damage is permanent.

At any rate, just wanted you all to know that I am fine now, just have to take it easy for a while. On a side note, the doctor told me I had to quit smoking but I could still have sex. I asked him which I was more likely to get...smokes or sex..... he didn't see the humor there....

Black Diamond
05-10-2017, 03:11 AM
Yikes CSM. prayers for you and your family too.

Kathianne
05-10-2017, 03:13 AM
I haven't been posting much of late. I haven't been feeling too well for one reason or another, and I am usually a pretty healthy and energetic person. Well, this past Monday I found out why I haven't been feeling well.

I am sitting in the local hospital posting at 3:30 in the morning because I had a heart attack. It was a real good one too. The cardiologist called it a "widowmaker" . 100% blockage in 2 arteries. Installed stints to fix the problem but had some pretty severe heart damage. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to determine if the damage is permanent.

At any rate, just wanted you all to know that I am fine now, just have to take it easy for a while. On a side note, the doctor told me I had to quit smoking but I could still have sex. I asked him which I was more likely to get...smokes or sex..... he didn't see the humor there....

Oh I'm so glad you made it through, hope that you have good news in the 6-8 week mark. Prayers your way. No one wants to kiss an ashtray! ;)

NightTrain
05-10-2017, 03:37 AM
Whoa, thank goodness you survived that! Those widowmakers are nasty business from what I'm told.

Glad you're okay, follow that doc's orders!

SassyLady
05-10-2017, 03:46 AM

OMG ... my whole body went into shock just reading your words .. not expecting anything remotely close to this. Glad you're still here with us ... God is not ready for you so buckle up and take care of yourself so I don't have a heart attack worrying about you.

Sending prayers to you and the Mrs.

CSM
05-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Thanks folks. I am feeling pretty good right now. Get tired pretty easy and got more needles sticking out of me than a porcupine has quills.

Just in case any of you think you are a tough guy (like I did) I will tell you what one of my sons told me: "there are tough guys, there are stupid tough guys and there are dead stupid tough guys... you get chest pains, get to the damn hospital" he also reminded me that dead tough guys eventually stink the worst....

Bilgerat
05-10-2017, 05:30 AM
Glad to hear you're still with us!

Speaking from a "been there" standpoint, listen to the Doc's and your son ;)

darin
05-10-2017, 05:43 AM
God. Just incredible. So thankful you are still with us.

CSM
05-10-2017, 06:19 AM
God. Just incredible. So thankful you are still with us.

YEAH, I got lucky. Good thing I am in fairly good shape or it would have been a lot worse ... like bypass surgery, pacemaker kind of worse.

darin
05-10-2017, 06:53 AM
YEAH, I got lucky. Good thing I am in fairly good shape or it would have been a lot worse ... like bypass surgery, pacemaker kind of worse.

being in good shape wasn't lucky. ;)

Old CSMs are too angry to die anyway.

CSM
05-10-2017, 06:55 AM
being in good shape wasn't lucky. ;)

Old CSMs are too angry to die anyway.

True.

Gunny
05-10-2017, 07:33 AM
True.

Angry is not the right word. Mule-headed is the right word. I sometimes wonder if Jim shouldn't change the name of the board to Debate Geriatrics. No wonder the board is slow. We're all the Doc's all the time.

You get yourself well, Sergeant Major.

revelarts
05-10-2017, 07:40 AM
wow, take care of yourself CSM.
there are a few foods and such that can help keep your innards clear too.
worth a shot, they won't hurt at least.

God bless

Abbey Marie
05-10-2017, 07:58 AM

So glad you are ok!

Having just been through this myself, I know how you feel. As for the damage, I was told right away it was permanent. In fact, I did not know it could get better. I'm so glad yours has the potential to do so.

The thing that the doctors don't generally prepare you for is the feeling of mortality (and sadness) that comes with a heart attack. It took me a while to stop thinking about that a lot. I still do; just much less frequently. On the positive side, I truly don't sweat small stuff as much.

Are you on Brilinta? I had to switch off that due to difficult side effects.

If you ever want to talk, just pm me.

CSM
05-10-2017, 08:08 AM
So glad you are ok!

Having just been through this myself, I know how you feel. As for the damage, I was told right away it was permanent. In fact, I did not know it could get better. I'm so glad yours has the potential to do so.

The thing that the doctors don't generally prepare you for is the feeling of mortality (and sadness) that comes with a heart attack. It took me a while to stop thinking about that a lot. I still do; just much less frequently. On the positive side, I truly don't sweat small stuff as much.

I dunno about the whole "mortality" thing...I suspect a few of my past experiences took care of that long ago. Trying Brilinta initially but may have to change it later.

Gunny
05-10-2017, 08:10 AM
So glad you are ok!

I HATE that word "permanent".

CSM
05-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Angry is not the right word. Mule-headed is the right word. I sometimes wonder if Jim shouldn't change the name of the board to Debate Geriatrics. No wonder the board is slow. We're all the Doc's all the time.

You get yourself well, Sergeant Major.

It does seem like we are all in tough shape sometimes but the fact that we seem to survive anyway speaks well of us....

I am ready to head back to the gym, eat some burgers and chase wild women.... in no particular order..... but the doctor says no gym for at least 6 weeks....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Sorry to hear of such dire news CSM. Great that you survived and can very likely with health regime and medicine go on to improve greatly and live a good life. My older brother just had a similar event back in December, now he is doing well but slowed down a bit . I had heart attack years ago but ine was not as serious condition as yours was..
Key will be proper body maintenance -as in eating properly(eating heart healthy), as I have been doing for since 2011..
I pray that God blesses you and your family with you there many years longer as it should be..-Tyr

Gunny
05-10-2017, 08:49 AM
It does seem like we are all in tough shape sometimes but the fact that we seem to survive anyway speaks well of us....

I am ready to head back to the gym, eat some burgers and chase wild women.... in no particular order..... but the doctor says no gym for at least 6 weeks....

I wish my Doc would tell me "no gym for 6 weeks". It's be okay if they would let me do what I want. Instead they always have the "weirdo exercise of the week" waiting for me. They think they're getting me back in shape when the reality of it is, I am getting me back in shape at home. Have a friend who had bypass surgery about 10 good years ago. He went right back to drinking and eating burgers within two weeks. Said if he was going to die, he wasn't going to die miserable. I kind of agree with that mentality.

For me, the food's a no-brainer. While not a health nut, I generally eat healthy food and rarely eat junk. Since I came out the back end of the hospital anemic, I get to eat all the red meat I want. :) That's mostly from being a gym rat since I was about 15. And since I came out on the back end of my stay at the hospital anemic, I can eat all the red meat I want. :) I made steak and eggs for breakfast this morning/w watermelon strips.

gabosaurus
05-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Fare the well, CSM. Remember that modern medicine can do wonders. As for your lifestyle restrictions, welcome to the club. Due to various ailments, I can't smoke, drink alcohol or soft drinks or eat fried food. It's preferable to the alternative.

NightTrain
05-10-2017, 11:29 AM
I made steak and eggs for breakfast this morning/w watermelon strips.

Watermelon? For breakfast?

You weirdo. :slap:

Gunny
05-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Watermelon? For breakfast?

You weirdo. :slap:

Hate to point this out, but that is pretty normal as it gets. Steak and eggs. Some fruit. My daughter's diabetic so I have to pick and choose from what's here. There's no bacon. I didn't feel like shredding potatoes for hash browns. So protein and fruit won. And don't forget the glass of Nestle's Quick. :) Got to wash those 16 vitamins and minerals down with something.

Ad yes, I counted them this morning.

jimnyc
05-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Wow, I'm glad you're here telling is this story! Please, take care of yourself!! Keep us updated. :salute:

aboutime
05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
You picked a HELL OF A WAY to join the club. Good to see you are getting back to the NEW normal now. Prayers go out for you. From one...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-F29raWPrdpN2dwtmuNi4z9KnyJIroe_aRRVBthnfK5K_Q9WxLA to another.

Stay strong, Positive, and Live Long.

CSM
05-11-2017, 03:08 AM
You picked a HELL OF A WAY to join the club. Good to see you are getting back to the NEW normal now. Prayers go out for you. From one...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-F29raWPrdpN2dwtmuNi4z9KnyJIroe_aRRVBthnfK5K_Q9WxLA to another.

Stay strong, Positive, and Live Long.

Thanks AT. Still trying to figure out what the new normal is .... but I will do what I need to do. My new goal in life is to be a big pain in the butt to everyone I know, chase wild women and spend money like a private on payday....

That's my goal but for now I will settle for removal of all these damned wires and needles..... gotta start someplace.

Gunny
05-11-2017, 05:14 AM
Thanks AT. Still trying to figure out what the new normal is .... but I will do what I need to do. My new goal in life is to be a big pain in the butt to everyone I know, chase wild women and spend money like a private on payday....

That's my goal but for now I will settle for removal of all these damned wires and needles..... gotta start someplace.

Those wires ane needles drove me freakin' nuts. You can't move. Can't go anywhere. Just going to the bathroom is a monumental chore. Can't roll over in bed. I don't know what your situation is beyond general, but I had strokes and have permanent nerve damage, and a couple of concussions. I had to learn to walk all over again, so once I was in-hitched from all the bells and whistles, I STILL couldn't walk anywhere.

I'm just now getting to where I can walk without a cane. And being a pain in everyone's ass goes without saying. :)

CSM
05-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Those wires ane needles drove me freakin' nuts. You can't move. Can't go anywhere. Just going to the bathroom is a monumental chore. Can't roll over in bed. I don't know what your situation is beyond general, but I had strokes and have permanent nerve damage, and a couple of concussions. I had to learn to walk all over again, so once I was in-hitched from all the bells and whistles, I STILL couldn't walk anywhere.

I'm just now getting to where I can walk without a cane. And being a pain in everyone's ass goes without saying. :)

LOL... all of the above minus the strokes. Still testing my limits so to speak. I can walk ok but not too fast as it tires me out rather quickly. Doc tells me that it's too soon to try to do anything but sit and look pretty....but I just can't sit .... he lets me sneak in a very short stroll down the hall every now and then. Good thing because sitting still is definitely not my thing.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2017, 11:19 AM
LOL... all of the above minus the strokes. Still testing my limits so to speak. I can walk ok but not too fast as it tires me out rather quickly. Doc tells me that it's too soon to try to do anything but sit and look pretty....but I just can't sit .... he lets me sneak in a very short stroll down the hall every now and then. Good thing because sitting still is definitely not my thing.

Just a heads-up, the main reason I was switched from Brilinta was I was completely exhausted just walking a few steps. As soon as I switched to Effient, that symptom disappeared. It is probably too soon to tell for you; just something to keep in mind if the symptom persists.

Gunny
05-11-2017, 11:29 AM
LOL... all of the above minus the strokes. Still testing my limits so to speak. I can walk ok but not too fast as it tires me out rather quickly. Doc tells me that it's too soon to try to do anything but sit and look pretty....but I just can't sit .... he lets me sneak in a very short stroll down the hall every now and then. Good thing because sitting still is definitely not my thing.The strokes were minor. They call them sliver strokes. I have nerve damage in my r. lower arm, and some in both feet. It affected my eyesight in my r. eye. I've managed at this point to work around that.

I con whoever I could into wheelchair races up and down the hall. Naturally they didn't bother asking who the instigator was. :) I remember those "short strolls" too. I had to use a walker. I had to suck it up when I was processing out and pretend I could walk just to get out of the place. Was the day before my daughter showed. Wasn't a whole bunch of option for me at that point.

CSM
05-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Just a heads-up, the main reason I was switched from Brilinta was I was completely exhausted just walking a few steps. As soon as I switched to Effient, that symptom disappeared. It is probably too soon to tell for you; just something to keep in mind if the symptom persists.

good to know! I just got home. I elected to walk out of the hospital though they did offer to take me out in a wheel chair. I wasn't "exhausted" but I was a bit tired .... had to rest for about 10 mins after walking less than 1/4 mile...

jimnyc
05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
good to know! I just got home. I elected to walk out of the hospital though they did offer to take me out in a wheel chair. I wasn't "exhausted" but I was a bit tired .... had to rest for about 10 mins after walking less than 1/4 mile...

Good to hear you're home!! And don't worry about resting after 1/4 mile, I'd probably need a nap after that much! LOL

CSM
05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Good to hear you're home!! And don't worry about resting after 1/4 mile, I'd probably need a nap after that much! LOL

I'm telling ya, this getting old crap is for the birds!

jimnyc
05-11-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm telling ya, this getting old crap is for the birds!

Worse if you have no ticker though, so take care of what ya got there.

:thumb:

CSM
05-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Worse if you have no ticker though, so take care of what ya got there.

:thumb:

Yeah, your options are rather limited if your heart stops beating.

Gunny
05-11-2017, 12:54 PM

I could not walk one step without falling down when I was in ICU. And I was not allowed to walk on my own in the secondary hospital, They'd throw this strap around your waist that basically was a leash and walk you down the hall like the family pet.:laugh: I think that has been the most frustrating for me is the walking thing.

And it's all really boiled down to what shoes I wear. This is when you know God has a sense of humor. I can't stand running shoes for anything but running. Guess what style is the onlt style shoes I can wear without falling down, and being able to walk with the cane? Take a wild guess ....

CSM
05-11-2017, 01:20 PM
I could not walk one step without falling down when I was in ICU. And I was not allowed to walk on my own in the secondary hospital, They'd throw this strap around your waist that basically was a leash and walk you down the hall like the family pet.:laugh: I think that has been the most frustrating for me is the walking thing.

And it's all really boiled down to what shoes I wear. This is when you know God has a sense of humor. I can't stand running shoes for anything but running. Guess what style is the onlt style shoes I can wear without falling down, and being able to walk with the cane? Take a wild guess ....

ummmm.... I am gonna guess....ummmm...COMBAT BOOTS!

aboutime
05-11-2017, 04:18 PM

CSM. That's how to look at it, for sure. After what YOU, and I have been through, that others can only guess about....what it does to us. Nothing else even comes close to what having that CLOSE CALL with the "end" really means.
The wires, and needles are SMALL STUFF after they are gone. Time to ENJOY to the fullest, and don't let anybody get in your way. IT FEELS GREAT!

pete311
05-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Just curious from those with experience. What is the chest pain like? I get weird pains in the chest all the time, but how do I know when it's something serious? Is it terribly obvious?

jimnyc
05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Just curious from those with experience. What is the chest pain like? I get weird pains in the chest all the time, but how do I know when it's something serious? Is it terribly obvious?

Good question! I think that same thing myself. I hope I never find out, but knowing all of the symptoms leading up to it would be so helpful to others!

aboutime
05-11-2017, 04:45 PM

petey. Not sure you want to hear anything from me, since you usually refuse to believe, or accept anything I say here.
But, for anyone else. The pain isn't always just in your chest. But you will know it when you feel like somebody is sitting on your chest, holding your nose, and asking you to talk. There are other pains too. In your jaw, either right, or left. Down your arm, generally your left arm. Your surroundings seem like you are confused, and you aren't sure what is going on as you sit, stand, or lay down.

IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAINS....see a doctor, or call 911. You only get ONE CHANCE if it is really bad. And if it is only occasional pain. It can also be in your back as well.
NOT SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH. Better to be wrong, than attending your FUNERAL.

Gunny
05-11-2017, 04:55 PM
CSM. That's how to look at it, for sure. After what YOU, and I have been through, that others can only guess about....what it does to us. Nothing else even comes close to what having that CLOSE CALL with the "end" really means.
The wires, and needles are SMALL STUFF after they are gone. Time to ENJOY to the fullest, and don't let anybody get in your way. IT FEELS GREAT!

Ain't a lot of guessing AT. I was clinically dead for about 2 minutes and on life support for 2 weeks. Then when they finally brought me back around and took that stupid fish out of my throat I was paranoid from the anesthesia and thought they were all trying to kill me. Being in a defenseless position didn't help. I had 7 IVs in me, and a tube running through my back ribs sucking crap out of my lungs. A-holes wouldn't let me eat and the nurse I had was a total ass.

I know a few others on here that had heart problems as well. I had concussions, strokes and pneumonia. I'm just now getting as close to "normal" as it's going to get. That crap happened last September.

And yeah, I'm just having a good time. What else can get thrown at us?

jimnyc
05-11-2017, 04:56 PM
petey. Not sure you want to hear anything from me, since you usually refuse to believe, or accept anything I say here.
But, for anyone else. The pain isn't always just in your chest. But you will know it when you feel like somebody is sitting on your chest, holding your nose, and asking you to talk. There are other pains too. In your jaw, either right, or left. Down your arm, generally your left arm. Your surroundings seem like you are confused, and you aren't sure what is going on as you sit, stand, or lay down.

IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAINS....see a doctor, or call 911. You only get ONE CHANCE if it is really bad. And if it is only occasional pain. It can also be in your back as well.

Thanks, AT! The feedback I'm sure is excellent for anyone reading. It NEVER hurts to have a little extra knowledge, especially when it comes to ones health.

aboutime
05-11-2017, 05:04 PM
This may be out of order for some here, but Surviving a Heart Attack reminds me of while I was still in uniform, and making deployments overseas.
I remember, as I am sure other Vets do....how it was always GREAT TO COME HOME,
after being in Europe, Africa, Asia, or South American countries.
A Heart Attack reminds you to say..."THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!"
If you survive that YOU CAN SURVIVE anything.

Gunny
05-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Exactly, AT. pete311 ...get an angiogram. At least go see your doc. Better safe than sorry.

I was sick since July. Never had pneumonia and I blew it off. I didn't end up in the Hospital until last day of Aug. The "fun" I had from just blowing it off is detailed in my previous post. I didn't go until I faceplanted on the cement, and kept getting back up only to repeat 4 times. I almost blew it off too long.

Listen to us for once. If nothing else you'll get some peace of mind.

CSM
05-11-2017, 06:30 PM
I cannot say for sure what symptoms any individual may experience. I can only tell you what happened to me. I had not been feeling "right" for a few weeks; not sick per say but I felt tired ALL the time. had a few minor pains in my chest on occasion (like I had lifted a bit too much weight the day before or strained a chest muscle). Of course I just ignored all that. This past Monday, I got up to go to work. I felt fine. Did my morning routine such as shower, shave etc. I got a pretty severe burning pain in the center of my chest. Naturally, being a tough guy, I ignored it and figured it would go away. Nay, nay my friends! I got in my car as the pain intensified. It now felt like a big bubble of hot molten lava smack in the middle of my chest an beneath the breast bone. I got 100 yards down the road an suddenly remembered (GODWINK) an episode of Deadliest Catch where one of the captains was having chest pains and trying to be the tough guy and ignore it. The camera man kept telling him he was having a heart attack. The USCG finally medivacced him. He made it but just barely.

Anyway, as this mini volcano was going off in my chest I was thinking: "Old Sig is a tough dude.... he was stupid though. I am a tough dude and am being stupid. I do not want to be a DEAD stupid tough dude." so I turned around, parked the car in my drive way and called 911. Minutes later I was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. The EMTs took an EKG on the fly and sent it to the ER while we were enroute. Took less than 15 minutes to get to the ER. The also stuffed three nitro tablets and 5 baby aspirin down my gullet during my little ride.

Once in the ER, they took another EKG. The cardiologist was right there. The pain lessened enough for me to pay attention to the doc who very politely told me that he saw nothing on the EKG that indicate a cardiac event BUT he recommended we act like it was as that was the most dangerous risk and it's better to be wrong and eliminate that possibility. I agreed and he said ok...let's get a picture of your heart. Took me down to another room and performed what looked like an ultrasound. He didn't even get done when he said..."I need to get 2 stints in you RIGHT NOW or you will die! Sign this paper if you want me to proceed". I signed the paper and he shot me full of pain killer> all this took less than 5 minutes. I woke up about an hour later with all the tubes wires and gadgets hooked up to me. The pain was gone but I was sure on a great morphine high.

The rest is pretty much standard care for a massive heart attack survivor.

If you are having chest pains...GET TO THE DOCTORS ASAP! Trust me, you do not want to be a DEAD, STUPID TOUGH GUY!!!

CSM
05-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Additionally, TAKE AN AMBULANCE!!! Every second counts....the ambulance crew can keep you alive until the big guns can be brought to bear.

Also, I forgot to mention that I ended up with my heart now operating at 50% (that's right .... 50%) efficiency. Not sure if the damage is permanent or not. I have therapy for the next 6 to 8 weeks and will be re-assessed. I am on 5 different medications (was on none before this) some of which I will be taking for the rest of my life. There is one good side effect to these drugs but I am not sure which one it is.... I hadn't needed any "male enhancement" or ED drugs but my libido is now of the charts! I feel like a 16 year old .... That being said, I do not recommend this as a course of action to spice up you love life!

Gunny
05-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Additionally, TAKE AN AMBULANCE!!! Every second counts....the ambulance crew can keep you alive until the big guns can be brought to bear.

Also, I forgot to mention that I ended up with my heart now operating at 50% (that's right .... 50%) efficiency. Not sure if the damage is permanent or not. I have therapy for the next 6 to 8 weeks and will be re-assessed. I am on 5 different medications (was on none before this) some of which I will be taking for the rest of my life. There is one good side effect to these drugs but I am not sure which one it is.... I hadn't needed any "male enhancement" or ED drugs but my libido is now of the charts! I feel like a 16 year old .... That being said, I do not recommend this as a course of action to spice up you love life!

:laugh:

aboutime
05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I cannot say for sure what symptoms any individual may experience. I can only tell you what happened to me. I had not been feeling "right" for a few weeks; not sick per say but I felt tired ALL the time. had a few minor pains in my chest on occasion (like I had lifted a bit too much weight the day before or strained a chest muscle). Of course I just ignored all that. This past Monday, I got up to go to work. I felt fine. Did my morning routine such as shower, shave etc. I got a pretty severe burning pain in the center of my chest. Naturally, being a tough guy, I ignored it and figured it would go away. Nay, nay my friends! I got in my car as the pain intensified. It now felt like a big bubble of hot molten lava smack in the middle of my chest an beneath the breast bone. I got 100 yards down the road an suddenly remembered (GODWINK) an episode of Deadliest Catch where one of the captains was having chest pains and trying to be the tough guy and ignore it. The camera man kept telling him he was having a heart attack. The USCG finally medivacced him. He made it but just barely.

Anyway, as this mini volcano was going off in my chest I was thinking: "Old Sig is a tough dude.... he was stupid though. I am a tough dude and am being stupid. I do not want to be a DEAD stupid tough dude." so I turned around, parked the car in my drive way and called 911. Minutes later I was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. The EMTs took an EKG on the fly and sent it to the ER while we were enroute. Took less than 15 minutes to get to the ER. The also stuffed three nitro tablets and 5 baby aspirin down my gullet during my little ride.

Once in the ER, they took another EKG. The cardiologist was right there. The pain lessened enough for me to pay attention to the doc who very politely told me that he saw nothing on the EKG that indicate a cardiac event BUT he recommended we act like it was as that was the most dangerous risk and it's better to be wrong and eliminate that possibility. I agreed and he said ok...let's get a picture of your heart. Took me down to another room and performed what looked like an ultrasound. He didn't even get done when he said..."I need to get 2 stints in you RIGHT NOW or you will die! Sign this paper if you want me to proceed". I signed the paper and he shot me full of pain killer> all this took less than 5 minutes. I woke up about an hour later with all the tubes wires and gadgets hooked up to me. The pain was gone but I was sure on a great morphine high.

The rest is pretty much standard care for a massive heart attack survivor.

If you are having chest pains...GET TO THE DOCTORS ASAP! Trust me, you do not want to be a DEAD, STUPID TOUGH GUY!!!

CSM. It's a hell of a feeling, waking up, and wondering where, and why you are where you are. My wife tells me, the EMT's had to do CPR on me twice during the ride in the ambulance to the hospital.
Next day....I was asleep for 3 days..and woke up in pain, as the new owner of a QUADRUPLE Bypass. The docs took part of the vein in my left leg (calf) for the replacement parts, after they tried to stick a stint in my groin on my right leg.
The Bypass was successful, but for 30 days after the surgery. I had a dangerous STAPH (SEPSIS) infection in my right leg (hip), that made it look like a blown up BAKED HAM until the infection was gone. The pain meds were great during that time. Everything in my room looked like the SCENERY in the movie "ABYSS". Or disneyland with bright lights of all colors around everything in the room.
ANYONE WHO DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU....May..REST IN PEACE!

CSM
05-11-2017, 06:59 PM
CSM. It's a hell of a feeling, waking up, and wondering where, and why you are where you are. My wife tells me, the EMT's had to do CPR on me twice during the ride in the ambulance to the hospital.
Next day....I was asleep for 3 days..and woke up in pain, as the new owner of a QUADRUPLE Bypass. The docs took part of the vein in my left leg (calf) for the replacement parts, after they tried to stick a stint in my groin on my right leg.
The Bypass was successful, but for 30 days after the surgery. I had a dangerous STAPH infection in my right leg (hip), that made it look like a blown up BAKED HAM until the infection was gone. The pain meds were great during that time. Everything in my room looked like the SCENERY in the movie "ABYSS". Or disneyland with bright lights of all colors around everything in the room.
ANYONE WHO DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU....May..REST IN PEACE!

You got that right!!!

Abbey Marie
05-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Hey, if I had to have the damn heart attack, at least put me in the group!

Kathianne
05-11-2017, 07:35 PM

:laugh2: Honestly! ;)

Abbey Marie
05-11-2017, 07:40 PM

They say it is a little different for men and women, but I will tell you my experience. I started getting extremely exhausted walking up stairs or around a store. Maybe for a couple of months. Now I know it was because the artery was getting blocked more and more-eventually 100% blocked. Then for about two weeks I started to get a lot of pressure in my chest when lying down. Finally, actual pain around the heart, and stabbing pain in my left shoulder blade. Which I treated with a heating pad, lol. I told the ER staff it felt like someone shot an arrow into my back. I finally called the doc when the pain shot down my left arm.
By then I had already had the heart attack.

Dont be stupid like me.

aboutime
05-11-2017, 08:06 PM

Abbey, and all. My apologies if you felt left out on this topic. Seriously. Count yourself in as part of the GROUP, CLUB, ASSOCIATION, GANG, TROOP, PATIENTS, SURVIVORS.

Just be happy for yourself, and all of us..WE ARE STILL HERE TO COMPLAIN!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance ::dance:

CSM
05-12-2017, 05:42 AM

Abbey, I for one, am glad you survived. I consider most members of this Board my close friends, though have not met any of you IRL. I still mourn for Gaffer and Merlin too. This is our "club" and you are in it and I am glad....heh.

Gunny
05-12-2017, 06:15 AM
They say it is a little different for men and women, but I will tell you my experience. I started getting extremely exhausted walking up stairs or around a store. Maybe for a couple of months. Now I know it was because the artery was getting blocked more and more-eventually 100% blocked. Then for about two weeks I started to get a lot of pressure in my chest when lying down. Finally, actual pain around the heart, and stabbing pain in my left shoulder blade. Which I treated with a heating pad, lol. I told the ER staff it felt like someone shot an arrow into my back. I finally called the doc when the pain shot down my left arm.

Dont be stupid like me.

I am infamous in my family for self treatment. Drives all the women in the family batty. :) They run to the Doc if they stub their toes. I'm not spending half my life in a waiting room full of sick people. In all our cases the one common denominator is we didn't know what was going on, and as has been pointed out by others, there's no set rule on symptoms. In my case, I'd never had pneumonia before and it's sneaky. I only felt a little out of sorts, which because of my sinus and allergy issues meant nothing to me. It wasn't until I started falling down repeatedly I hadn't any real clue something was really wrong. By then it was almost too late.

Here's one that will drive you heart attack types batty:laugh: I was doing incline presses with 205 and for the one and only time it's ever happened the bar slipped from my left hand and the weight jammed my arm straight down and nailed my left upper chest muscle and where it is attached to the shoulder. It damaged the nerve that runs through your shoulder and down your left arm and that nerve begins in the center of your chest.

Until I had it checked out I swore every other day I was having a heart attack. I still have that nerve damage so I never know what the Hell is going on.:laugh:

CSM
05-12-2017, 06:19 AM
I am infamous in my family for self treatment. Drives all the women in the family batty. :) They run to the Doc if they stub their toes. I'm not spending half my life in a waiting room full of sick people. In all our cases the one common denominator is we didn't know what was going on, and as has been pointed out by others, there's no set rule on symptoms. In my case, I'd never had pneumonia before and it's sneaky. I only felt a little out of sorts, which because of my sinus and allergy issues meant nothing to me. It wasn't until I started falling down repeatedly I hadn't any real clue something was really wrong. By then it was almost too late.

Here's one that will drive you heart attack types batty:laugh: I was doing incline presses with 205 and for the one and only time it's ever happened the bar slipped from my left hand and the weight jammed my arm straight down and nailed my left upper chest muscle and where it is attached to the shoulder. It damaged the nerve that runs through your shoulder and down your left arm and that nerve begins in the center of your chest.

Until I had it checked out I swore every other day I was having a heart attack. I still have that nerve damage so I never know what the Hell is going on.:laugh:

Well crap, Gunny. I never know what's going on but that isn't because of nerve damage or physical injury. I think it's because I live in this fantasy world where I am Emperor of the Universe but nobody tells me ANYTHING. Lot's of nice perks with the job though....heh.

jimnyc
05-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Abbey, I for one, am glad you survived. I consider most members of this Board my close friends, though have not met any of you IRL. I still mourn for Gaffer and Merlin too. This is our "club" and you are in it and I am glad....heh.

Sure do miss those 2 guys. :(

And funny you write that. I was just mentioning to "staff" about how we should all finally meet up someday. There are a bunch of others on here that would/should be on that list, that I would love to meet, or meet again! In fact, it would include almost the whole community!

Gunny
05-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Well crap, Gunny. I never know what's going on but that isn't because of nerve damage or physical injury. I think it's because I live in this fantasy world where I am Emperor of the Universe but nobody tells me ANYTHING. Lot's of nice perks with the job though....heh.

I get THAT. Been a lot easier now that I can get out and do stuff without having one of them take me. I may never run another marathon, but I can make it through the grocery store. :) But nobody ever tells me WTF is going on either.:laugh:

CSM
05-12-2017, 07:06 AM

And funny you write that. I was just mentioning to "staff" about how we should all finally meet up someday. There are a bunch of others on here that would/should be on that list, that I would love to meet, or meet again! In fact, it would include almost the whole community!

I once belonged to a group that played and RPG. We only knew each other by our on line persona. We all decided to meet in Vegas one year. It was interesting to say the least!

Obviously, I would love the opportunity to meet folks. Might be interesting to see Gunny dragging those big brass balls of his through the door .... lol!!!

pete311
05-12-2017, 07:21 AM

Dont be stupid like me.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess you understand the difference, but the first symptom of getting more tired walking up stairs I feel like it easy to chalk up to being out of shape or getting older. I'm 34, but have a family history of heart disease and there are cases of heart attacks in your 30s. Anyway, I'm still fairly active and play sports a couple times a week. I definitely get winded more quickly, but I just caulk it up to getting older. When I go up my stairs at home my legs burn and heart races, but I just chalk it up to being out of shape. I guess I'd need the chest pressure and stabbing pain to understand it's serious, but then you say it can be too late. My father has had two heart attacks. His first was when he was running. He was running several miles a day for years, but one day he couldn't make it more than a few blocks. I guess that is a pretty stark change.

CSM
05-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess you understand the difference, but the first symptom of getting more tired walking up stairs I feel like it easy to chalk up to being out of shape or getting older. I'm 34, but have a family history of heart disease and there are cases of heart attacks in your 30s. Anyway, I'm still fairly active and play sports a couple times a week. I definitely get winded more quickly, but I just caulk it up to getting older. When I go up my stairs at home my legs burn and heart races, but I just chalk it up to being out of shape. I guess I'd need the chest pressure and stabbing pain to understand it's serious, but then you say it can be too late. My father has had two heart attacks. His first was when he was running. He was running several miles a day for years, but one day he couldn't make it more than a few blocks. I guess that is a pretty stark change.

GET CHECKED OUT....SERIOUSLY!!! Not everyone gets a second chance.

Gunny
05-12-2017, 07:28 AM

While it would be nice, I don't see it happening. We're scattered out too much all over the country, and in case you missed the "club" aspect of this thread, half of us ain't exactly in top notch shape. We'll require hammocks for nap time. :)

Kathianne
05-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Hey, Vegas or Arizona would work for me. I'd love to meet all of you, Rick will visit his mom someday, I'm sure of it. ;) I think Abbey is becoming intrigued with some of the pics here, no? Jim, birds and snakes, what's not to love?

CSM
05-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Hey, Vegas or Arizona would work for me. I'd love to meet all of you, Rick will visit his mom someday, I'm sure of it. ;) I think Abbey is becoming intrigued with some of the pics here, no? Jim, birds and snakes, what's not to love?

I wanna see Sassy's legs!

Kathianne
05-12-2017, 08:28 AM

She's here! ;)

CSM
05-12-2017, 08:46 AM
she's here! ;)

woohoo!

Gunny
05-12-2017, 08:51 AM
She's here! ;)

Here meaning she's in Tucson and you are in Prescott. "Here" is relative. I'm "here" at about 800 miles from Sassy. I think BD lives closer to me. I can see it now, bringing all those Yankees down here. Make it in July.:laugh:

Kathianne
05-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Here meaning she's in Tucson and you are in Prescott. "Here" is relative. I'm "here" at about 800 miles from Sassy. I think BD lives closer to me. I can see it now, bringing all those Yankees down here. Make it in July.:laugh:

Well for me, from what I've observed, Sassy too, 3-4 hour drives aren't an issue. That's here. You're there.

CSM
05-12-2017, 08:59 AM

This Granite Yankee doesn't mind heat/humidity at all.... if worse comes to worst I get naked and have the whole area to myself!

Kathianne
05-12-2017, 09:06 AM
and I'm not in Prescott. ;)

BoogyMan
05-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Hope you see full recovery and a quick one at that!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Get thee to a doctor immediately if not sooner!
You only have one life and being careless with it on such a serious matter often does not allow for any overs.
You should set a doctor's appointment today!!!!
Take this advice even tho' it comes from me, ok?????--Tyr

Gunny
05-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Well for me, from what I've observed, Sassy too, 3-4 hour drives aren't an issue. That's here. You're there.

I'm trying to remember. I think Tucson is probably about 14 hours from here.

And you're in AZ. All the same sandbox to me. Driven through there plenty of times. It's somewhat stuck between me everywhere the Marine Corps sent me. :)

Gunny
05-12-2017, 11:28 AM
This Granite Yankee doesn't mind heat/humidity at all.... if worse comes to worst I get naked and have the whole area to myself!

Humidity is definitely NOT an issue there. 115-120 degree oven heat is. If the humidity was high out there, the place would be uninhabitable.

Bilgerat
05-12-2017, 12:15 PM
While it would be nice, I don't see it happening. We're scattered out too much all over the country, and in case you missed the "club" aspect of this thread, half of us ain't exactly in top notch shape. We'll require hammocks for nap time. :)

Ain't that the truth :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-12-2017, 01:54 PM

I think the best you can do and still have it covered by health insurance is get your annual physical. But keep in mind that my EKGS, even the day of the attack, showed nothing, nor even did my cardiac ultrasound.

Gunny
05-12-2017, 02:45 PM
I think the best you can do and have it covered by health insurance is get your annual physical. But keep in mind that my EKGS, even the day of the attack, showed nothing, nor even did my cardiac ultrasound.

I was fine when I got up. Even went to the store. I remember very little after that until they woke me up 3 weeks later.

aboutime
05-12-2017, 06:29 PM

petey. One thing I didn't mention earlier. If you are a smoker, or use any nicotine products....STOP! I smoked for 50 years before my heart attack. The doc told me.."The next cigarette you have...can be your last. It can form enough of a blockage in arteries to stop the blood from getting to your brain, or heart."
RESULT. I haven't had a smoke since that day....9 years ago...NEXT MONTH.
As an Alcoholic. I thought quitting the booze was the hardest thing I had ever done. But...as most smokers can tell you. Smoking is even harder to quit. While I was in the navy. I became a professional, Unsuccessful Quitter of smoking. Ran out of cigs just before payday, and bought a carton or two on PAY day.
So, as hard as it may be. You have a choice. Smoke, or attend your FUNERAL.

Gunny
05-12-2017, 07:16 PM

34 is old?!? Dude, you don't have a clue what old is. I was still bench pressing 300, running 3 miles in 22 minutes, practicing martial arts and was a Drill Instructor when I was 34. You'll figure it out.

In the meantime pete311 get a checkup. In some cases like Abbey's they might not find a thing and you do it the hard way. In many cases they can catch it. ESPECIALLY if heart disease runs in your family.

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 03:29 AM

:coffee:

I'm in Tucson ... and I'm a wild woman.

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 03:31 AM

Might be headed up to Flagstaff on Wednesday. What are you doing?

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 03:35 AM
Humidity is definitely NOT an issue there. 115-120 degree oven heat is. If the humidity was high out there, the place would be uninhabitable.

Yes, it's hot here but that's why we have pools and A/C. And, monsoons are coming and they are spectacular!

I would love to meet all of you ... well, most of you!

Kathianne
05-15-2017, 05:07 AM
Might be headed up to Flagstaff on Wednesday. What are you doing?

emailed you! Would be grand if we could meet, I let you know my timing. Depending on where you are, I could text you in real time. Traffic has gotten a bit heavy at times from Sedona to Flagstaff, but I'd give it a shot.

CSM
05-15-2017, 06:28 AM

I'm in Tucson ... and I'm a wild woman.

You would have to be gentle...after all...I have a heart condition...LOL

Gunny
05-15-2017, 07:20 AM
You would have to be gentle...after all...I have a heart condition...LOL SassyLady I'd actually like to go to Saguaro National Park.

Maybe when I can walk past the end of the block and back. :laugh:

CSM
05-15-2017, 07:39 AM
SassyLady I'd actually like to go to Saguaro National Park.

LOL.. we are a pair, aint we, Gunny? My goal right now is to make it to the end of the street and back without getting winded!

Kathianne
05-15-2017, 07:56 AM
@SassyLady (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=83) I'd actually like to go to Saguaro National Park.

Maybe in February! Eek! It's really hot there.

Gunny
05-15-2017, 08:29 AM
LOL.. we are a pair, aint we, Gunny? My goal right now is to make it to the end of the street and back without getting winded!

I kind of shuffle like a little old man. I don't have my stride back yet. I mean look at my OP. When the guy in a Rascal who can't even hold his head up straight is asking if you need help ....:laugh:

Gunny
05-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Maybe in February! Eek! It's really hot there.

I'd actually like to go after a good rain. Everything blooms. If I can handle the heat here, I can take it there. I drove a ragtop Jeep with the top down from San Diego to Parris Island once in July. I stopped once pretty close to there and had coffee with someone I knew. Don't remember the name of the place. It Was past Tucson and Texas Canyon before Lordsburg and east a bit.

I only drove north of Casa Grande when I was stationed at 29 Palms and had to stay on I10 until Palm Springs. When I was at San Diego and Camp Pendleton I always hung a left at Casa Grande and took I8 through Yuma. THAT is a scary stretch of road.

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 01:16 PM
You would have to be gentle...after all...I have a heart condition...LOL

I think you can man up enough to handle the situation, if and when....:cool:

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 01:17 PM
emailed you! Would be grand if we could meet, I let you know my timing. Depending on where you are, I could text you in real time. Traffic has gotten a bit heavy at times from Sedona to Flagstaff, but I'd give it a shot.

I can meet you in Sedona on my way through ... or Cottonwood.

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
@SassyLady (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=83) I'd actually like to go to Saguaro National Park.

Right now all the cacti are blooming ... so pretty. Work hard and maybe next spring .. when everything is blooming and not in 100s yet.

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 01:32 PM
I'd actually like to go after a good rain. Everything blooms. If I can handle the heat here, I can take it there. I drove a ragtop Jeep with the top down from San Diego to Parris Island once in July. I stopped once pretty close to there and had coffee with someone I knew. Don't remember the name of the place. It Was past Tucson and Texas Canyon before Lordsburg and east a bit.

I only drove north of Casa Grande when I was stationed at 29 Palms and had to stay on I10 until Palm Springs. When I was at San Diego and Camp Pendleton I always hung a left at Casa Grande and took I8 through Yuma. THAT is a scary stretch of road.

That's the route I take to bypass Phoenix .. I like I8 ... straight, minimal traffic ... but don't stop for hitchhikers!

Abbey Marie
05-15-2017, 02:12 PM

I'm right there with you. Add to the heart issues a hip that was about to be replaced when it happened, and I'm sure you get the picture...

Abbey Marie
05-15-2017, 02:14 PM

My brother and SIL retired in Casa Grande, and ask me to visit. And I hate heat.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Ah yes, my matchmaking skills are looking good!

:dance:

Abbey Marie
05-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Pics, pics, and more pics! Or it didn't happen.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Oh my! Things are getting steamy already.

Gunny
05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
That's the route I take to bypass Phoenix .. I like I8 ... straight, minimal traffic ... but don't stop for hitchhikers!

They are what I was referring to. I used to stand outside that one rest area between Casa Grande and Yuma so the wife and kidees could do their business with a loaded handgun in my waistband.:laugh:

CSM
05-15-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm right there with you. Add to the heart issues a hip that was about to be replaced when it happened, and I'm sure you get the picture...

Just follow the yellow brick road.....lol

CSM
05-15-2017, 06:22 PM

even at 50%, I am better than most....just sayin...LOL

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 07:01 PM
even at 50%, I am better than most....just sayin...LOL

Of course ....

:panicsmiley:

Bilgerat
05-15-2017, 07:27 PM

A month has passed since my quad by-pass. I am now able to walk quite easily the five acres of property and I can accompany the Lady on shopping trips without the use of a cane.

Additionally, since I lost 20+ pounds my knee pain has faded. I'm not planning on running any marathons, but I'm able to move much easier.

Unfortunately, my taste buds seem to have been affected. I literally have to force myself to eat for some reason.

And my alcohol intake has been reduced to one beer every 3-4 days. (This alone could be the reason for weight loss :laugh2:)

CSM
05-15-2017, 07:36 PM
A month has passed since my quad by-pass. I am now able to walk quite easily the five acres of property and I can accompany the Lady on shopping trips without the use of a cane.

Additionally, since I lost 20+ pounds my knee pain has faded. I'm not planning on running any marathons, but I'm able to move much easier.

Unfortunately, my taste buds seem to have been affected. I literally have to force myself to eat for some reason.

And my alcohol intake has been reduced to one beer every 3-4 days. (This alone could be the reason for weight loss :laugh2:)

I am still getting used to the whole "no salt, no sugar" thing. Quitting smoking has changed the taste of everything anyway....

Gunny
05-15-2017, 07:39 PM
even at 50%, I am better than most....just sayin...LOLJust remember Sergeant Major ... you are SgtMaj #2. Lot of desert to hide bodies in where she lives.:poke:

Gunny
05-15-2017, 07:47 PM

I totally get the taste buds thing. I had to forcw myself to eat for quite awhile. Once I could get around the grocery store and get my own food that changed. I know part of it was the anesthesia, but my daughter eating crap I don't like was part of it too. I generally only eat red meat, fruit, vegetables and some dairy. Make my own eggs in the morning. It has definitely changed my energy level.

I feed myself during the day and eat whatever the kid makes for dinner so I don't hurt her feelings. She thinks I'm weird :)

On my own for 3 days though. She's gace a c-section tomorrow. Just what I need ... another rugrat.

Bilgerat
05-15-2017, 08:06 PM
I totally get the taste buds thing. I had to forcw myself to eat for quite awhile. Once I could get around the grocery store and get my own food that changed. I know part of it was the anesthesia, but my daughter eating crap I don't like was part of it too. I generally only eat red meat, fruit, vegetables and some dairy. Make my own eggs in the morning. It has definitely changed my energy level.

I feed myself during the day and eat whatever the kid makes for dinner so I don't hurt her feelings. She thinks I'm weird :)

On my own for 3 days though. She's gace a c-section tomorrow. Just what I need ... another rugrat.

The anesthesia thing makes sense. You're speaking to a man who used to use tobasco sauce and habenero sauce on damn near everything. Loved eggs with hash browns covered with that stuff.

Now, pepper (fresh ground) is about all I can stomach.

It is getting better, but slowly

SassyLady
05-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Just remember Sergeant Major ... you are SgtMaj #2. Lot of desert to hide bodies in where she lives.:poke:

:rofl1:

Wouldn't bury ... heat would desiccate first or javelinas and coyotes would erase evidence.

:rolleyes3:

CSM
05-16-2017, 05:49 AM
Just remember Sergeant Major ... you are SgtMaj #2. Lot of desert to hide bodies in where she lives.:poke:

Good point. And I am feeling a bit delicate and fragile these days...