PDA

View Full Version : French Pres Cuts Taxes

red states rule
08-06-2007, 04:36 AM
It took France long enough, taxes are now being cut on the producers.

Perhaps they saw how well tax cuts worked here in the US

Sarkozy cuts tax on French fortunes
BLOOMBERG NEWS
August 6, 2007

PARIS — French President Nicolas Sarkozy is rolling out the welcome mat for thousands of rich French people who fled one of Europe's most onerous tax regimes, but few may heed his call.

In his first economic act since taking office, Mr. Sarkozy is pushing a tax law to lure back exiles such as rock star Johnny Hallyday, 64, and members of the Mulliez clan, who control the French retailer Groupe Auchan SA. The measure will increase exemptions on the "fortune" tax — the bete noire of rich expatriates — and cap the total individual tax rate at 50 percent of income.

Mr. Sarkozy, 52, needs these wealth-creators to help rekindle an economy that's lagging behind its neighbors and to sustain future growth.

One challenge may be changing a centuries-old French attitude that regards people who make money with suspicion. That view has made penalizing the rich popular in France and leaves the wealthy uneasy about whether any pro-rich policies can last.

"In France, to earn a lot of money is to be seen as a little bit criminal," says author Anne-Marie Mitterrand, who moved to Belgium in 1997. "In Belgium, the mentality is completely different. People who have a little money are not regarded as thieves."

French suspicion of wealth runs deep. Finance Minister Christine Lagarde, 51, traces it to French aristocrats who turned up their noses at people who earned their fortunes

Even the French Revolution of 1789 didn't change that: "The Right to Laziness," a 19th-century book by Paul Lafargue, Karl Marx's son-in-law, advised against working more than three hours a day. And French author Honore de Balzac said, "Behind every great fortune lies a crime."

This prejudice drove French citizens to Switzerland, Belgium, Britain and the United States, where at least 500,000 of them reside, either to make more or keep more of what they have.

for the complete article

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070806/FOREIGN/108060063/1001

KarlMarx
08-06-2007, 06:23 AM
GASP!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! HEART ATTACK!!!! ALARM BELLS!!!! TEMPER TANTRUM!!!! GAS PAINS!!!!! PSORIASIS!!! CRAMPS!!!! NAUSEA!!! DIARRHEA!!! VOMITING!!!!!!

(.... please remain calm, I am in not in any danger, I am merely doing an impersonation of a liberal's reaction to this news, do not call 9-1-1, repeat, do NOT call 9-1-1..... no animals were harmed during the typing of this post ---- KM)

SHORTNESS OF BREATH!!!! HYSTERIA!!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!!!!!

red states rule
08-06-2007, 06:26 AM
GASP!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! HEART ATTACK!!!! ALARM BELLS!!!! TEMPER TANTRUM!!!! GAS PAINS!!!!! PSORIASIS!!! CRAMPS!!!! NAUSEA!!! DIARRHEA!!! VOMITING!!!!!!

(.... please remain calm, I am in not in any danger, I am merely doing an impersonation of a liberal's reaction to this news, do not call 9-1-1, repeat, do NOT call 9-1-1..... no animals were harmed during the typing of this post ---- KM)

SHORTNESS OF BREATH!!!! HYSTERIA!!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!!!!!

Libs are freaking out for sure

Remember, German elected, gasp, a conservative as well

KarlMarx
08-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Libs are freaking out for sure

Remember, German elected, gasp, a conservative as well
Oh no!!!! The world is being taken over by right wing Christians!!!!!

red states rule
08-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Oh no!!!! The world is being taken over by right wing Christians!!!!!

Libs are pulling their hair out and shiting in their pants

Ain't it great?

Guernicaa
08-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Here’s my issue with tax cuts:

If they were fairly given to every citizen, and not just the rich, then who wouldn't like tax cuts?
Why the fuck should someone rolling around in millions of dollars be given the benefit of paying less taxes than a hard working middle class citizen?
It makes no fucking sense.

None of you are benefiting from the Bush tax cuts unless you have a fortune worth millions.

Angel Heart
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
The rich will always get the biggest tax cuts... They are the ones who pay the most taxes.

Sitarro
08-06-2007, 06:16 PM

If they were fairly given to every citizen, and not just the rich, then who wouldn't like tax cuts?
Why the fuck should someone rolling around in millions of dollars be given the benefit of paying less taxes than a hard working middle class citizen?

None of you are benefiting from the Bush tax cuts unless you have a fortune worth millions.

More cliche's from mr. cliche'. Do you have an original thought? Let me guess, your Daddy's a successful businessman and a Republican so this is how you are showing him you're all grown up and independent as long as he continues to pay for tuition and the car insurance of course. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

KarlMarx
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Whenever someone starts using the word "fair" (as in "Fairness Doctrine")... or "justice" (as in "economic justice")... watch out... hold on to your wallet and don't bend over!

"None of you are benefitting from the Bush tax cuts unless you have a fortune worth millions" ----
I am going to have that framed... unless you live in a cave, my friend, you HAVE benefitted from the Bush tax cuts...

1. You pay less in taxes
2. If you invest in a 401(k) or have a pension, you are indirectly benefitting from the Bush tax cuts, because the cut in the capital gains tax has helped fuel the bull market which has pushed the Dow Jones Industrial Average to 14,000
3. If you are employed, you are benefitting from the Bush tax cuts, because the tax cuts have helped to increase profitability and has helped to stimulate the economy.

the only people the Bush tax cuts are hurting are politicians who believe redistributing wealth and increasing the size of government to accomodate the nanny state they believe will solve the world's problems.

Bush wanted more drastic tax cuts than he got, if he gotten them, our economy would very well have been doing much better. If Bush were a true conservative and had managed to reduce federal spending, there's no telling what our economy would have done. Unfortunately, that isn't the case...

red states rule
08-07-2007, 05:33 AM

How can you pass tax cuts to people who don't pay taxes?

It is like a store that has a 10% off sale. You are in line and the guy ahead of you buys $1000.00 worth of stuff. His discount is $100.00

You buy $100 worth of stuff and you get $10.00 off

Are you going to bitch to the store manager you were screwed since the other guy got a bigger discount?

red states rule
08-07-2007, 05:34 AM
The rich will always get the biggest tax cuts... They are the ones who pay the most taxes.

The top 1% are paying about 34% of all Federal income taxes

The bottom 50% are paying less then 3%

KarlMarx
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
OK.... here goes

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/12/1207_bestideas/image/bp515249.jpg

this is what you, I and every other American can potential wind up under a Republican tax plan

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1506630/2/istockphoto_1506630_little_money_left.jpg

this is what we'll all have left if the Democrats get their way

Understand??????

red states rule
08-07-2007, 12:10 PM
OK.... here goes

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/12/1207_bestideas/image/bp515249.jpg

this is what you, I and every other American can potential wind up under a Republican tax plan

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1506630/2/istockphoto_1506630_little_money_left.jpg

this is what we'll all have left if the Democrats get their way

Understand??????

I have known that since I got my first paycheck when I was 16. I saw the taxes thatwere taken out, and I was so pissed

My dad laughed and told me to get used to it

KarlMarx
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I have known that since I got my first paycheck when I was 16. I saw the taxes thatwere taken out, and I was so pissed

My dad laughed and told me to get used to it
Which begs the question....

why is Social Security not tax deductible? Because it's not a "tax", right?

to which I say ... B.S.

you can't opt out of it, the government takes it, you don't have any say in how it's spent.... it's a tax, but worse, because it's a tax that you have to pay tax on ... a double tax....

didn't the 13 colonies rebel over just this thing?

red states rule
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Which begs the question....

why is Social Security not tax deductible? Because it's not a "tax", right?

to which I say ... B.S.

you can't opt out of it, the government takes it, you don't have any say in how it's spent.... it's a tax, but worse, because it's a tax that you have to pay tax on ... a double tax....

didn't the 13 colonies rebel over just this thing?

We are long overdue for a tax revolt

KarlMarx
08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
We are long overdue for a tax revolt
actually, my taxes are already quite revolting, thank you

red states rule
08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
actually, my taxes are already quite revolting, thank you

Mine to