PDA

View Full Version : Two men were arrested - charged with possession of explosives

red states rule
08-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Why are we not hearing more on this story?

Details on Materials Found in Trunk Unclear
Sunday August 05, 2007 9:42pm Posted By: Shantel Middleton

Goose Creek - Two men are being held in the Berkeley County Detention Center after police find explosive making devices in their car. The quantity of explosive making materials in that vehicle is unclear. The FBI (website) reports that there is no known link to terrorism. The Berkeley County Sheriff's Office believes that among materials in the car's trunk were a bomb and bomb making materials that include chemicals, fuses, and igniters. The men 21-year-old Yousef Megahed and 24-year-old Ahmed Mohamed were pulled over Saturday evening during a routine traffic stop near Myers Road and Highway 176. Few details about the suspects are known at this time. They are believed to be students at a Florida college. They are of Middle Eastern descent and are not US citizens. Neither man has been charged, but charges are expected Monday. A press conference will be held in Berkeley County on Monday morning. Possession of unlawful explosives is among the potential charges. Officials are not at this time releasing any additional information. The Berkeley County Sheriff's office may confirm what exactly was found in that trunk during Monday's press conference. Stay tuned to ABC News 4 and www.abcnews4.com for details as they become available.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0807/444994.html

JohnDoe
08-06-2007, 07:23 AM
The FBI (website) reports that there is no known link to terrorism.

HOW could there not be a link to terrorism when these guys were carrying explosives and detinators?

Sure sounds like they were planning a terrorist attack to me....?

I guess we will have to wait and hear what they say in the press conference about this....sometime today?

red states rule
08-06-2007, 07:25 AM
HOW could there not be a link to terrorism when these guys were carrying explosives and detinators?

I guess we will have to wait and hear what they say in the press conference about this....sometime today?

Em, they are Muslims

Libs would play the race and fear card

theHawk
08-06-2007, 07:57 AM
The FBI (website) reports that there is no known link to terrorism. The Berkeley County Sheriff's Office believes that among materials in the car's trunk were a bomb and bomb making materials that include chemicals, fuses, and igniters. The men 21-year-old Yousef Megahed and 24-year-old Ahmed Mohamed were pulled over Saturday evening during a routine traffic stop near Myers Road and Highway 176.

How can they say there is no link to terrorism? Muslims + bombs = terrorists.

:pee: Political Correctness.

red states rule
08-06-2007, 07:58 AM
How can they say there is no link to terrorism? Muslims + bombs = terrorists.

:pee: Political Correctness.

But John Edwards said the war on terror is nothing but a bumber sticker slogan

diuretic
08-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Could be. And then they may have been planning something else. It will be interesting to watch this one pan out.

Hagbard Celine
08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe they are not members of any larger terrorist organization but are instead rogue, disgruntled Muslims? Anyway, I think the FBI uses the amount of explosives to guage whether or not an incident warrants use of the label "terrorist act." These guys probably had under the amount of explosives needed for that label so they're just considered criminals instead of terrorists. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

diuretic
08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
It certainly sounds bad. I mean people just don't drive around with these things in their vehicle, that's a given. But exactly what they were up to remains to be seen. "Routine traffic stop" is interesting too. It might be and then again it might not be.

Kathianne
08-06-2007, 10:04 AM
It certainly sounds bad. I mean people just don't drive around with these things in their vehicle, that's a given. But exactly what they were up to remains to be seen. "Routine traffic stop" is interesting too. It might be and then again it might not be.

Lots more here:

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2007/08/two-middle-east.html

Update6: Still more - the state and Feds seem to be fighting over what the definition of "bomb" is - and the two may be subject to immigration charges, as well: John Little has some interesting and possibly pertinent background on the rocket angle mentioned below.

An officer at the detention center said explosives and possible immigration charges will likely be filed Monday. A news conference is scheduled for Monday at 11:30 a.m.

The law enforcement source, who insisted on anonymity, said the materials included at least one bomb and a number of bomb-making elements, including chemicals capable of being used in the production of bombs, fuses and igniters -- small gunpowder charges used to ignite some explosives.

Update5: Oh, I get it, they were rocket scientists.

Police became suspicious when one of the men tried to hide a laptop computer. A search of the car turned up pieces of pvc piping, various model rocket motors and other items considered suspicious.

Update4: Reuters - no terrorism link. So why did ABC lede with one bomb ready and material for another at link below and take it down with no correction? I thought only bloggers did things like that?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The FBI said on Sunday that there was no evidence of a terrorism link in the case of two college engineering students who possessed explosive materials in South Carolina over the weekend.

The two men, described in local media reports as non-U.S. citizens of Middle Eastern descent, were taken into custody late on Saturday near Charleston, South Carolina, after local police noticed what looked like explosives in their Toyota sedan during a routine traffic stop.

The FBI said the material proved to be for making homemade fireworks, not dangerous munitions.

"There's no (terrorism link) that we've identified at this point," FBI spokesman Richard Kolko told Reuters.

"They got pulled over and had just enough suspicious things to warrant investigation. We don't think there's that much to it. They had some materials to make some pretty good-sized homemade fireworks but not bomb stuff."

Update3: You figure it out, now the link says the following. They are expected to be charged with something related to explosives tomorrow. Maybe they were going fishing? They sure look happy.

There are conflicting reports as to the quantity of explosive making materials in that vehicle. FBI (website) reports are saying that there is not believed to be a link to terrorism.

Update2: One bomb ready to go, materials for another using chemicals. Also video at link. It's thought that they may be students.

Goose Creek - Two men are being held in the Berkeley County Detention Center after police find explosive making devices in their car. The men had atleast one ready to go bomb and bomb making materials that include chemicals.

Something tells me they ain't Irish Catholics: Larwyn reports CNN stated the devices were fuses and igniters of some type.

WIS News 10 spoke with officials at the Berkeley County Detention Center who said 24-year-old Ahmed Mohamed and 21-year-old Yousef Megahed, the occupants of the car, are still in police custody.

So far they have only been charged with possession of explosive devices, but the FBI is working to see if more crimes have been committed.

The Berkeley County Sheriff's Department tells WIS News 10 the two men are not US citizens.

Update: Latest wire report:

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. - Two men were detained after police found and detonated a suspicious item found in their car during a routine stop for a speeding violation on a highway near Charleston, Berkeley County sheriff's Lt. Vince Lombard said Sunday morning.

Lombard said the men were being held pending a charge of unlawful possession of an explosive device, but he would not say what the device was or what bomb technicians from neighboring Charleston County exploded about 2:45 a.m. Sunday.

The item made a loud bang, similar to a firecracker, when it was demolished.

Update: According to the AP, the two men are still being held at the scene 7 hours later and the bomb squad is going to "demolish" a suspicious device. Blogs of War links to this photo.

Cannon said two men who were in the car were still at the scene at 2 a.m. An FBI agent said officials were trying to determine whether a crime had been committed.

diuretic
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Kathianne. Well. engineering students. Little buggers they are, engineering students I mean, always trying to blow something up. They never really grow up you know :laugh2:

dan
08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Geez, that's just an hour and a half down the road from me!

Maybe they're not using the t-word just yet because they don't want to cause any kind of mass public reaction. I'd much prefer them to do their job behind closed doors and let us know what's up only when it's clearly a threat than scare the crap out of us every ten seconds.

PostmodernProphet
08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Why are we not hearing more on this story?

I suppose it's possible they are trying to track down associates of theirs and don't want to tip them off......

red states rule
08-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I suppose it's possible they are trying to track down associates of theirs and don't want to tip them off......

Or they do not want to mention they are, gasp, Muslims

It would not be the first time the liberal media has done it - and it will not be the last

red states rule
08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Olbermann Readers Scoff at Oklahoma 'War on Terrorism' License Plates
By Ken Shepherd | August 6, 2007 - 12:19 ET
Recently Oklahoma officials announced a deadline extension to order special license plates dedicated to the global war on terrorism. Oklahoma is not the only state that has one. Virginia has had one for years that reads "Fight Terrorism" and features a Pentagon, the Twin Towers, and an American flag.

In other words, this is nothing new and its an unremarkable story. Except for MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, whose staff ran the item in his blog "The NewsHole" with no comment, letting his left-wing loyalists provide the yuks. The August 2 headline, however, was a snarky, dismissive phrase: "Ridin' In Style."

While some commenters found the new plate non-controversial and wondered what the big deal was, others took the chance to mock the design.

One "T. Brooks" from Oklahoma even pulled a Natalie Maines, all while referencing a classic country hit:

I'm no longer proud to be an Okie from Muskogee.

One "Debbie G." from New York City suggested that "given the thought process, a picture of Yosemite Sam would be more fitting."

As I've noted before, there are some items on Web logs for which it makes little sense to have an open comments section. This item isn't exactly one of the subject areas I had in mind, but the license plate post seems to be designed for little more than to give loyal Olbermann lackeys space to crack jokes about Oklahomans, conservatives, and the war on terror in general, or to rail on about how overblown the war on terrorism is in their minds.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2007/08/06/olbermann-readers-scoff-oklahoma-war-terrorism-license-plates

waterrescuedude2000
08-07-2007, 12:34 AM
That the damn liberals would rather fight the terrorists on our soil. And see our civilians killed instead of theirs.

I guarantee if they ever try and fight a war on our soil. All americans would rise up against them finally. These anti-war protesters piss me off. If they can't support the troops they need to stand in front of them!!

red states rule
08-07-2007, 05:05 AM
That the damn liberals would rather fight the terrorists on our soil. And see our civilians killed instead of theirs.

I guarantee if they ever try and fight a war on our soil. All americans would rise up against them finally. These anti-war protesters piss me off. If they can't support the troops they need to stand in front of them!!

That is what the left wants, so they can blame Bush for not doing his job. We have not had an attack on our soil for 6 years - yet they give him no credit for it

Any good news for Amercia is bad news for the left