PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla (1955) The Original

Gunny
05-18-2017, 09:09 PM
I heard or read this somewhere at some point in time -- Raymond Burr who plays the American nes correspondent is not in the actual movie. The movie is Japanese with Japanese actors.

To present it to American audiences, they brought in Burr and and a handful of Japanese looking people. These extras are the only people he interacts with. He doesn't once interact with the original cast. Most of his role is a documentary style voice-over to the original flick.

Just figured if y'all were bored you might want to know that. :laugh: The movie's on TCM right now.

gabosaurus
05-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Glad you brought this up. My sister is a HUGE Godzilla fan. The original Japanese Godzilla film was issued in 1954 by the Toho company. It bears very little resemblance to the American version. Since the original Godzilla film is a veiled attack on atomic weapons, it was considered "offensive" by Hollywood. An American company bought the rights and removed most of the Japanese content. Strangely enough, when the American version was shown in Japan, it proved to be more popular than the original Japanese version. My favorite of the Japanese monster movie franchise is "Destroy All Monsters," which features all the famous monsters of the Toho franchise banding together to fight a three-headed monster from outer space.

Gunny
05-19-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm not much of a Godzilla fan. I remember "Destroy All Monsters". They lived where else? ... Monster Island,:laugh: Those movies after the original were beyond campy. I saw most of them on late-nite TV when options were less than desirable. We saw "Destroy All Monsters" at the Base Theater noon matinee more as a lark than anything else. Only Godzilla movie I ever paid for. 35 cents a ticket.:laugh: