PDA

View Full Version : Krauthammer: 25th Amendment Would Be A Coup

Kathianne
05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
I have to agree, those who voted for Trump, who won the election, knew who they were voting for. They chose him and unless there are actual impeachable charges, that can lead to an actual conviction, he stays in office.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447748/donald-trump-american-democracy-25th-amendment-removal-bad-idea

The Guardrails of American Democracy Can’t Contain Trump

But that doesn’t mean he should be removed via the 25th Amendment. The pleasant surprise of the first 100 days is over. The action was hectic, heated, often confused, but well within the bounds of normalcy. Policy (e.g., health care) was being hashed out, a Supreme Court nominee confirmed, foreign-policy challenges (e.g., North Korea) addressed.

Donald Trump’s character — volatile, impulsive, often self-destructive — had not changed since the campaign. But it seemed as if the guardrails of our democracy — Congress, the courts, the states, the media, the cabinet — were keeping things within bounds.

Then came the last ten days. The country is now caught in the internal maelstrom that is the mind of Donald Trump. We are in the realm of the id. Chaos reigns. No guardrails can hold.

Normal activity disappears. North Korea’s launch of an alarming new missile and a problematic visit from the president of Turkey (locus of our most complicated and tortured allied relationship) barely evoke notice. Nothing can escape the black hole of a three-part presidential meltdown.

That’s the post-Kennedy assassination measure that provides for removing an incapacitated president on the decision of the vice president and a majority of the cabinet.

This is the worst idea since Leno at 10 p.m. It perverts the very intent of the amendment. It was meant for a stroke, not stupidity; for Alzheimer’s, not narcissism. Otherwise, what it authorizes is a coup — willful overthrow by the leader’s own closest associates.

I thought we had progressed beyond the Tudors and the Stuarts. Moreover, this would be seen by millions as an establishment usurpation to get rid of a disruptive outsider. It would be the most destabilizing event in American political history — the gratuitous overthrow of an essential constant in American politics, namely the fixedness of the presidential term (save for high crimes and misdemeanors).

Trump’s behavior is deeply disturbing but hardly surprising. His mercurial nature is not the product of a post-inaugural adder sting at Mar-a-Lago. It’s been there all along. And the American electorate chose him nonetheless.

What to do? Strengthen the guardrails. Redouble oversight of this errant president. Follow the facts, especially the Comey memos. And let the chips fall where they may.

But no tricks, constitutional or otherwise.

pete311
05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
When congress realizes they can't pass most of their agenda with Trump's distractions they will open to remove him. Pence would be the best thing for the GOP.

Black Diamond
05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Trump isn't going anywhere.

NightTrain
05-19-2017, 12:13 PM
When congress realizes they can't pass most of their agenda with Trump's distractions they will open to remove him. Pence would be the best thing for the GOP.

Not a chance in hell.

The very first step would be to somehow get Pence to wield the dagger, and he's not that kind of guy. I could totally see Tim Kaine pulling a stunt like that, because you can see the weasel in him right away, but not Pence.

You liberals are really reaching with some of your plots and desperate attempts to pervert procedures & rules to change the outcome of the election, starting with trying to corrupt GOP Electors - and it's been a rolling clusterfuck of wild ideas spectacularly blowing up in your faces since then. Wile E. Coyote has nothing on you liberals when it comes to harebrained schemes.

I've said it before, and I know you'll reject this, but all you're doing is showing normal Americans who you people really are. You're a dinosaur that doesn't know he's extinct yet despite all the evidence staring you in the face.

jimnyc
05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
I've said it before, and I know you'll reject this, but all you're doing is showing normal Americans who you people really are. You're a dinosaur that doesn't know he's extinct yet despite all the evidence staring you in the face.

Americans are smarter than our government gives us credit for. And that much of the lying media gives us credit for. The last 2 years were a REAL eye opener in many ways for me. That's to include our government, our intel agencies, DOJ and even some courts. But yes, of course, it's not like I forgot the left and their antics. Some will say that anyone could have beat Trump. They blame Hillary but ignore the entire left as a whole, the agendas and the antics. And those things have quadrupled since Trump was inaugurated.

pete311
05-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Are you guys married to Trump or the conservative agenda? The agenda will flow so much easier through Pence.

jimnyc
05-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Are you guys married to Trump or the conservative agenda? The agenda will flow so much easier through Pence.

You are apparently blind to the many things that I have condemned of him since he's been in office. With that said, yes, I DO love his agenda. I wouldn't mind for a single bit seeing Pence as president - but I'm not willing to dismiss Trump over lame shit. Until such time that actual evidence is brought forth, all I see thus far is a loudmouth on one side, and endless whining on the other. I'm not willing to dismiss the POTUS because he talks like a dummy on Twitter, or because he's not PC.

NightTrain
05-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Looking at the standing of our respective political parties, how in the hell do you think that you're even remotely qualified to give political advice?

That's like asking Dr. Kevorkian for long term health advice.

pete311
05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Looking at the standing of our respective political parties, how in the hell do you think that you're even remotely qualified to give political advice?

That's like asking Dr. Kevorkian for long term health advice.

Bad day today? Because your party is in office, that automatically makes you an expert?

NightTrain
05-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Bad day today? Because your party is in office, that automatically makes you an expert?

I called the Election. I've been right on the outcome of every silly plot against the President that you've espoused thus far.

How have ANY of your predictions turned out?

You're batting a thousand on being wrong. You're in good company, though, you've got Gabby whiffing away right beside you.

pete311
05-19-2017, 12:50 PM
I called the Election. I've been right on the outcome of every silly plot against the President that you've espoused thus far.

How have ANY of your predictions turned out?

You're batting a thousand on being wrong. You're in good company, though, you've got Gabby whiffing away right beside you.

:lame2:

NightTrain
05-19-2017, 12:55 PM
:lame2:

:lol: The truth stings, doesn't it?

It all comes down to credibility, Petey. You have to be proven right to gain that commodity.

This is the very same problem that your beloved democrats are suffering. When you act like an ass and spout nonsense based on your emotion-based wishful thinking rather than fact & reality, you lose all credibility.

pete311
05-19-2017, 12:58 PM
:lol: The truth stings, doesn't it?

It all comes down to credibility, Petey. You have to be proven right to gain that commodity.

This is the very same problem that your beloved democrats are suffering. When you act like an ass and spout nonsense based on your emotion-based wishful thinking rather than fact & reality, you lose all credibility.

:clap:

NightTrain
05-19-2017, 12:59 PM
:clap:

:thanks:

aboutime
05-19-2017, 07:18 PM

petey. You should really think about getting professional, medical, mental help...ASAP.

First, you should cease using those MIND(less) Altering additions to your orifices. Dr. Timothy Leary would probably be very proud of you.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/77/59/39/775939dae57009c5011a23f6e4aface4.jpgBut failing, as you are with loose jibberish created by the DNC promises to repeat lies will never let you get better.

Gunny
05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
You are apparently blind to the many things that I have condemned of him since he's been in office. With that said, yes, I DO love his agenda. I wouldn't mind for a single bit seeing Pence as president - but I'm not willing to dismiss Trump over lame shit. Until such time that actual evidence is brought forth, all I see thus far is a loudmouth on one side, and endless whining on the other. I'm not willing to dismiss the POTUS because he talks like a dummy on Twitter, or because he's not PC.

If THAT ain't gospel ....

Gunny
05-19-2017, 07:46 PM
I kind if quit listening to Krauthammer. He makes decent points at times, but he runs into left field he goes to the wall (deep).

Not to mention watching him at times do O'Reilly, Kelley and Hannity in a row. He's as bad as Ann Coulter. Doesn't Fox have any more "experts"? Oh yeah ... Geraldo.:rolleyes:

Black Diamond
05-19-2017, 07:59 PM
I kind if quit listening to Krauthammer. He makes decent points at times, but he runs into left field he goes to the wall (deep).

Not to mention watching him at times do O'Reilly, Kelley and Hannity in a row. He's as bad as Ann Coulter. Doesn't Fox have any more "experts"? Oh yeah ... Geraldo.:rolleyes:
I like Brit Hume and once in a while rove. But new ownership needs to figure their shit out.

Gunny
05-19-2017, 08:36 PM
I like Brit Hume and once in a while rove. But new ownership needs to figure their shit out.Hume doesn't bother me too much. Isn't he a semi-retired Fox actual news correspondent?

And THAT is the rub with me. "Fox News" is a misnomer. They have idiots with cheap jokes trying to be entertainers in the mornings, and pundits on at nights. I think they still report the news somewhere in the middle.

All their women are cookie cutter Barbie-doll types. They all wear dresses and cross their legs the same way and you can hear the wind whistling through their ears. If they start gaining weight they sort of disappear.

I don't consider who's entertaining in Times Square a newsworthy item at 6AM.

Kathianne
05-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Showing that I used to watch Fox more, he doesn't do all those programs-his commentary is 'live' on Bret Baier's News Reports, what you are seeing on those other programs are nearly always tape of that.

Gunny
05-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Showing that I used to watch Fox more, he doesn't do all those programs-his commentary is 'live' on Bret Baier's News Reports, what you are seeing on those other programs are nearly always tape of that.

Live or tape -- all the same to me. The only Bret Baier I read is Jimbob keeps us amply supplied. I don't run around the internet reading propaganda and posting it as "news" and calling myself informed.

I always wondered why Krauthammer looked like a mannequin. He's paralyzed. His funniest moment to me was when O'Reilley made a wisecrack about his suit. Krauthammer was NOT amused and it was written all over his face. :laugh: