PDA

View Full Version : Not going well so far

Abbey Marie
05-26-2017, 12:36 PM
So, I'm home alone with these painful Shingles, laid up in my Pjs, and two of the guys replacing our driveway start a very loud fight. They are in the cul de sac right up in each other's faces and it's looking serious.

I'm getting ready to go out there "as is" and give it to them. But then they stopped. Thank goodness. I was not in the mood to ask them nicely.

That's been my super day.

jimnyc
05-26-2017, 12:39 PM
So, I'm home alone with these painful Shingles, laid up in my Pjs, and two of the guys replacing our driveway start a very loud fight. They are in the cul de sac right up in each other's faces and it's looking serious.

I'm getting ready to go out there "as is" and give it to them. But then they stopped. Thank goodness. I was not in the mood to ask them nicely.

Have you taken your prescribed medication? Take them timely and they WILL help with any pain. Just don't forget like I did, and then suddenly think they are tic tacs and eat them every hour. :)

Feel better!!

https://i.imgur.com/9gL3H0Y.jpg

Abbey Marie
05-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Have you taken your prescribed medication? Take them timely and they WILL help with any pain. Just don't forget like I did, and then suddenly think they are tic tacs and eat them every hour. :)

Feel better!!

https://i.imgur.com/9gL3H0Y.jpg

Aww. That face. Thanks!

I took exactly one Vicodin, and stopped. It helped with the pain a little. Side effects weren't bad, like Percoset or Morphine, but I still prefer to be very clear-headed.

So, back to Extra-strength Tylenol. I am telling you though, this is quite painful.

Kathianne
05-26-2017, 12:47 PM

:(

SassyLady
05-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear you are so miserable. Why didn't you get your shot?

Abbey Marie
05-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Sorry to hear you are so miserable. Why didn't you get your shot?

Good question. Doc asked me to get it when I was getting two other vaccinations (flu and pneumonia), and I didn't like the idea of so many at once. So, I said I'd come back for that one. That was last fall, I think. Totally forgot...

aboutime
05-27-2017, 05:57 PM
And, when they do. GO AND GET THE SHOT! I did, and haven't had any trouble since. Got my shot late last year. It's great, and it lets you live your life without the pain, and the ugly, bleeding rash.

NO JOKE ABBEY...GET THE SHOT.. You'll be glad you did.:thumb:

Abbey Marie
05-27-2017, 06:11 PM
And, when they do. GO AND GET THE SHOT! I did, and haven't had any trouble since. Got my shot late last year. It's great, and it lets you live your life without the pain, and the ugly, bleeding rash.

NO JOKE ABBEY...GET THE SHOT.. You'll be glad you did.:thumb:

I missed my opportunity, now I don't get it for 5 years.

Ugly and bleeding rash? Wow, nothing like that here. Just about 9 reddish bumps, like biggish mosquito bites. Still hurts like he** though!

aboutime
05-27-2017, 06:50 PM

Ugly and bleeding rash? Wow, nothing like that here. Just about 9 reddish bumps, like biggish mosquito bites. Still hurts like he** though!

Don't understand WHY the wait Abbey. As for mine. Not to get too personal, but I had open rash/sores that began as what felt like a THOUSAND needles on my back, until it spread downward (between my legs...on the groin). Knew it wasn't any std type thing, and the doc verified it by asking One Question..."Did you ever have Chicken Pox?"

Can't really explain the pain, but I guess you already know. As for the sores. NOBODY should have to see, or feel that. Sorry to be so graphic here. But..FOR ANYBODY. If you ever had Chicken Pox. YOU ALREADY HAVE THE VIRUS IN YOU. Get the SHOT...FREE.

gabosaurus
05-27-2017, 07:55 PM
I know the feeling. You are at your perceived lowest point. Then something else bothersome happens.

http://www.ravishly.com/sites/default/files/angry-cat.jpg

SassyLady
06-05-2017, 09:51 PM

I don't understand when you say you missed your opportunity and you have to wait 5 more years. Why?

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't understand when you say you missed your opportunity and you have to wait 5 more years. Why?

Doc said that having Shingles gives you an immunity boost against it for about 5 years.

NightTrain
06-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Hmmm.. pretty sure I'm not vaccinated against it.

I heard it explained that if you really didn't get a serious case of chickenpox then you're vulnerable as an adult. I got it in El Paso when I was 6, and I was covered with it... it was pretty bad. My brother didn't get it very badly at the time and he got shingles a while back.

Old wives' tale about immunity or do I need a shot?

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 10:52 PM

I heard it explained that if you really didn't get a serious case of chickenpox then you're vulnerable as an adult. I got it in El Paso when I was 6, and I was covered with it... it was pretty bad. My brother didn't get it very badly at the time and he got shingles a while back.

I would get it. I was also covered in them as a kid.

SassyLady
06-06-2017, 12:39 AM

For some reason doctors want you to wait until you're 60 to get it. My doctor also said once you have the one shot you never need it again.

Abby, get the shot and you don't have to worry about it later. My friend tried to get it when she was 59 and they made her wait. Got shingles one month before birthday .. almost went blind because it got in her eye. It is not something to mess around with.

Who Should Get Shingles Vaccine?

People 60 years of age or older should get shingles vaccine. They should get the vaccine whether or not they recall having had chickenpox, which is caused by the same virus as shingles (https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html). Studies show that more than 99% of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox, even if they don't remember getting the disease. There is no maximum age for getting shingles vaccine.

Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time you must wait after having shingles before receiving shingles vaccine, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your healthcare provider.
Shingles vaccine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (http://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/questionsaboutvaccines/ucm070418.htm) for people aged 50 years and older. However, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of shingles vaccine in people 50 through 59 years old. Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest. Adults 50 through 59 years who have questions about shingles vaccine should discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare provider.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

SassyLady
06-06-2017, 12:44 AM
The shingles vaccine is routinely recommended for adults older than 60 years of age. The vaccine is given as a single dose and is only given once.
The shingles vaccine is recommended even if you have had a previous episode of shingles, as long as the disease is not active. The shingles vaccine does not treat shingles, it prevents shingles.
In studies of adults over the age of 60, the shingles vaccine reduced attacks in half, decreased how long the attacks lasted, and prevented long term nerve pain (postherpetic neuralgia) in the majority of patients.
The same virus that causes chickenpox causes shingles. Once you have had chickenpox, the virus remains dormant in your nerves. Aging, chronic diseases, and certain medications lower the body’s immune system reactivating the virus and causing shingles.
No serious problems have been identified with the shingles vaccine. The vaccine is made using a live, but harmless virus. Shingles can be a devastating illness, so talk to your doctor about getting the shingles vaccine.

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/5005263/how-often-should-i-get-a-shingles-vaccine

Abbey Marie
06-06-2017, 08:10 AM
SL, my doctor isnt saying I should never get the vaccine. Just that having had Shingles now will give me an immunity boost for a few years.

aboutime
06-06-2017, 01:40 PM
SL, my doctor isnt saying I should never get the vaccine. Just that having had Shingles now will give me an immunity boost for a few years.

NO, NO, NO Abbey, not true. Get another opinion. If your doc was right. Ask him to explain why I got it a few times every year. There is only ONE Immunity..THE SHOT.

By the way....The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters caused by shingles. A person with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before the blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.Sep 17, 2014
Shingles | Transmission - How Spreads | Herpes Zoster | CDC
www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html