PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness run amok

gabosaurus
05-29-2017, 08:59 PM
What is wrong with people these days? No one of any public stature or visibility is allowed to have an opinion anymore.
If a well known person goes on twitter voice their dislike of jam sandwiches, the jam and bread industry immediately seeks to crucify them.

Case in point: An award winning sportswriter for the Denver Post goes on twitter and states that he is uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend. He deletes it later and apologizes, stating that his father fought the Japanese in WWII.
Not quick enough to avoid being fired, though. Not like he used a racial slur or personal comment. Just a statement gets you canned these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/29/denver-post-writer-fired-takuma-sato-indy-500-victory

Russ
05-29-2017, 09:15 PM
What is wrong with people these days? No one of any public stature or visibility is allowed to have an opinion anymore.
If a well known person goes on twitter voice their dislike of jam sandwiches, the jam and bread industry immediately seeks to crucify them.

Case in point: An award winning sportswriter for the Denver Post goes on twitter and states that he is uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend. He deletes it later and apologizes, stating that his father fought the Japanese in WWII.
Not quick enough to avoid being fired, though. Not like he used a racial slur or personal comment. Just a statement gets you canned these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/29/denver-post-writer-fired-takuma-sato-indy-500-victory

Amen. Politcal Correctness is the new McCarthyism, and it loves to destroy peoples careers and even their lives while pretending to be interested in "fairness".

Elessar
05-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Hell, you can speak your mind all you want - just as long as you do not step on sensitive toes.
And let's face it. There are a lot of ultra-sensitive toes around because of this PC garbage.

revelarts
05-30-2017, 12:23 AM
If every "real" american that ever uttered a racist thought was fired Today.
I wonder how many would still have jobs on Tuesday.

At worst the guy should get a "sensitivity course". :rolleyes:
Or just a lesson that the Japanese are our Allies now. hello it's 2017,
But i have to wonder If the winner was a German or Italian would he have had the same reaction... mmm maybe. who knows.

Drummond
05-30-2017, 05:49 AM

You astonish me. Political correctness is the tool of THE LEFT. The Left use it to help ensure that the brand of thinking they want society to adopt, gets fully grafted onto peoples' consciousness.

A case in point ... in the UK, our Left wingers were so committed to smashing barriers to unrestrained immigration, that, when people started commenting on it, saying that we needed greater control over our borders .. those people started to be branded 'racist' for adopting such a politically incorrect viewpoint.

As for so much as DARING to speak out against Islam ... well, we've already got to the point where it can be branded 'hatespeech', actionable in law.

Gabby, so far as I'm concerned, you can approve wholeheartedly of political correctness, OR, you can show us that you're no longer sympathetic to the Left wing (presumably, therefore, a newly-converted Conservative ??). You choose -- one or the other.

That is, if you want to be a consistent, and a 'credible', advocate for your views ....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Those same so-called valiant warriors(dems/libs/leftists) that suppress free speech by that handy tool they created Political Correctness , also fully support hate speech when its by groups they champion-New Black Panther Party, muslims, pro-abortion advocates, Black Lives Matter, La Raza, etc etc etc.
Not a PC bone in my body--thus I say fkk the damn Japs... I have family that fought them during WW2.
AND LET ANYBODY IN THIS WORLD FACE ME AND TRY TO TO TELL ME THAT I CAN NOT SAY THAT, AND EXPRESS MY VIEWS.
I'LL BREAK THAT MAN LIKE A TWIG....... OR ELSE DIE TRYING....

Americans had best start living free speech and not just giving it lip service...
This PC shat never found an ounce of sympathy or support from me since its inception.
A true Southern man views it as a tool for damn Nazi's in disguise..-Tyr

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 09:08 AM
I don't think anyone here has written more about the issue of free speech than myself. I don't bring this up as a boast, it's not, rather to say that I've recognized for over two decades that it's both a cause and a result of the political divide that is growing daily. The more the battle of speech has played out, the less confidence we have in the media, the schools, the politicians; in general the normal paths of information. People of all persuasions are making things up as they go along, simply because they no longer trust the traditional outlets of information.

Interesting that the increase in violence goes hand-in-hand with the suppression of free speech, on campuses and increasingly in the larger community. What started primarily as demands for PC language have morphed into an all out ban of differing political positions and increase in what is labeled hate. Also the increase in due process, especially against white males on campus and increasingly on Caucasians in general is becoming more commonplace on the campuses around the country. I expect to see the spillover to the general community to increase also.

In response, protests against PC positions have morphed into an increase in incendiary language underlined with threats of violence and calls for civil war. These are met with accusations that 'the masks are coming off' and that violence was always implied against the 'defenseless.' It's unlikely that the election just completed last fall was a 'one off,' with the gnashing of teeth by many and the glee that has taken over for those that supported our 'non-PC President.'

Irregardless of the untrustworthiness of the traditional outlets of information, both sides have embraced a love for outlets that give them 'news' and 'facts' they want to see. Fortunes are being made by those willing to give those what they want. Few are looking for either 'truth' or 'balance,' they want to hear what they want to hear. This isn't happening in just internet and personal arguments, it's entering the newsrooms, backrooms of politicians, and department meetings in schools from elementary to university levels. They are now using the outlets they agree with as sources, further eroding any trust they once had. Not only are people choosing to ignore sources they've deemed 'unworthy,' they won't even listen once one of those sources are brought up-thus the spiraling down intensifies.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few 'issues' that have been driven and opposed by the crisis in information under observation: climate change; abortion; vaccinations; and the last election.

Gunny
05-30-2017, 10:49 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/29/denver-post-writer-fired-takuma-sato-indy-500-victoryInteresting topic coming Democrat. How does it feel? I remember when then the left started this crap in the 70s. Now you've created a monster you can't control. It's worked for you in a way because you have control of the MSM. The left has the right afraid to open their mouths for fear of being as accused.

My stance is and always has been simple: say what you want, but you WILL be held accountable. The internet has no equal in being the best example. Loaded with big-mouthed fools who shoot off at the mouth knowing they won't be held accountable for their words.

THAT is what you, and others, want, Gabby. You want YOUR Right to freedom of speech at the expense of others' Rights. And Heaven forbid you be held accountable for what you say.

Here's a REAL simple and all too often played-out scenario: Self-censorship for fear of offending a "friend" when what that person is saying is just dumb.

This clown had the right to say what he wanted. He also had to the right to consider possible ramifications before he opened his mouth. His choice. And don't get me wrong. I think it's stupid to pick at every single word someone says. But that's the way it is.

Little-Acorn
05-30-2017, 12:17 PM
[I]You astonish me.....

That's because you keep paying attention to what she writes.

Stand next to a drunk who hasn't bathed in months, and you'll probably get some pretty bad smells. But why does that astonish you? It's just the nature of that particular person, and everyone knows it.

Abbey Marie
05-30-2017, 12:37 PM
In light of the fact that this is a debate board, I am once again thrown off and disappointed. Gabby has different views from most of us. Duh. It is that very fact that gives us all a chance to debate a very different pov. Whether or not you personally think she does so in the method you'd prefer. Then when Gabby posts something funny, or personal, or something with which most of us can agree, instead of taking the post on its merits, it is used as another opportunity to personally criticize her.

When someone I know who has fundamentally different views sees something my way, I tend to be very happy about it, and try to show positive reinforcement.

There are a couple of people here who have a special reason for not accepting Gabby's posts. I get that and I have no problem with their actions. But that does not apply to most of us.

I am sure that some folks will try to take me to task over this, and will want to point out all the reasons I am wrong. I'm really not interested.
gabosaurus

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 12:42 PM
In light of the fact that this is a debate board, I am once again thrown off and disappointed. Gabby has different views from most of us. Duh. It is that very fact that gives us all a chance to debate a very different pov. Whether or not you personally think she does so in the method you'd prefer. Then when Gabby posts something funny, or personal, or something with which most of us can agree, instead of taking the post on its merits, it is used as another opportunity to personally criticize her.

When someone I know who has fundamentally different views sees something my way, I tend to be very happy about it, and try to show positive reinforcement.

There are a couple of people here who have a special reason for not accepting Gabby's posts. I get that and I have no problem with their actions. But that does not apply to most of us.

I am sure that some folks will try to take me to task over this, and will want to point out all the reasons I am wrong. I'm really not interested.

I agree with you. While there are few or no instances I agree with Gabby regarding politics, the vehemence a few folks tend towards her particularly and anyone who doesn't agree with them 100% is really off putting. It appears they care more about putting someone down rather than actually showing the fallacy of thought.

I think the ones depicting piles of defecating materials especially enlightening. Name calling also works very well.

jimnyc
05-30-2017, 12:44 PM

GaDang it! Sometimes I want to kidnap her and "I can't drive 55" Sammy Hagar style as fast as I can to the GW Bridge and give her a Soprano's toss.

But the GaDangit is because you're correct. :( I always want to stomp on her head. But I am who I am, and I end up replying. I give credit when credit is due, because I'm sure as EFF gonna point it out when someone needs a demerit!

I ain't telling no one to kiss no one's butt, screw that. But a reminder that it's a debate board, even I need that from time to time.

I still can't stand her though. I don't think Tony would either. :laugh:

Gunny
05-30-2017, 02:43 PM

I am sure that some folks will try to take me to task over this, and will want to point out all the reasons I am wrong. I'm really not interested.Pffft. I mess with Gabby cuz I can. I won't speak for anyone else, but she doesn't bother me.

IF she is speaking the truth in her OP, then my "how does it feel?" stands comment stands. (with the usual sarcasm) In that light, I went through the same thing with Jimmy Carter followed by the 80's lefty movement further left. I was a true, old school liberal that believed in freedom left suddenly without a political party or political label. Her comments reflect the same thing.

It's just a matter of when you jump ship because you are no longer represented.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Ah the incivility and lack of restraint is flourishing!

In TX:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/05/30/video-scuffle-texas-statehouse-floor-republican-calls-ice-illegal-immigrant-protesters/

“I’ll put a bullet in your head”: Scuffle on the Texas statehouse floor after Republican calls ICE on protestersPOSTED AT 11:21 AM ON MAY 30, 2017 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

In Portland:

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/335564-portland-mayor-calls-for-free-speech-rally-cancelation-after-attack

Portland mayor wants 'Trump free speech' rally canceled after attackBY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 05/29/17 08:33 PM EDT

revelarts
05-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Kathianne you makes some good points But I'd ask for some clarification on this one.

Interesting that the increase in violence goes hand-in-hand with the suppression of free speech, on campuses and increasingly in the larger community....
while there has been a lot of TALK about the "increase in violence", the numbers i've seen actually show a Decrease in violence on all sides over the past 30 years.
So a lot of the "NEWS" (MSM and otherwise) just make it APPEAR that theres more violence.

... In response, protests against PC positions have morphed into an increase in incendiary language underlined with threats of violence and calls for civil war. These are met with accusations that 'the masks are coming off' and that violence was always implied against the 'defenseless.' It's unlikely that the election just completed last fall was a 'one off,' with the gnashing of teeth by many and the glee that has taken over for those that supported our 'non-PC President.' ....

the PC push, the reaction against PC positions and the RE-reactions to the push back have all been... lets just say... LESS than wise and Ill informed.

Knee jerk reactions and assuming the worse of others usually isn't a recipe for BETTER relations of any kind.
to bad people often get locked into ROLES as -for or against- XYZ and find it hard to think outside of the FRAMES and actually address the people as fellow members of the family, human family.

there are underlining philosophical moral and social issues that lie a the base of the PC and free speech and other issues debate But they seldom are addressed or discussed THOUGHTFULLY among the rank and file. Name calling and posturing are the go to "SPEECH". While the MSM and the various groups gin up the differences for ratings and followers.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Kathianne you makes some good points But I'd ask for some clarification on this one.

while there has been a lot of TALK about the "increase in violence", the numbers i've seen actually show a Decrease in violence on all sides over the past 30 years.
So a lot of the "NEWS" (MSM and otherwise) just make it APPEAR that theres more violence.

the PC push, the reaction against PC positions and the RE-reactions to the push back have all been... lets just say... LESS than wise and Ill informed.

Knee jerk reactions and assuming the worse of others usually isn't a recipe for BETTER relations of any kind.
to bad people often get locked into ROLES as -for or against- XYZ and find it hard to think outside of the FRAMES and actually address the people as fellow members of the family, human family.

there are underlining philosophical moral and social issues that lie a the base of the PC and free speech and other issues debate But they seldom are addressed or discussed THOUGHTFULLY among the rank and file. Name calling and posturing are the go to "SPEECH". While the MSM and the various groups gin up the differences for ratings and followers.

I just posted on the crazy Portland mayor that has concluded we don't have a right to 'hate speech,' which of course he presumes to define. I also posted about the TX lawmakers that nearly came to blows, so dignified and likely to change minds.

Saw this yesterday, https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/05/29/liberals-are-shocked-to-find-were-starting-to-hate-them-right-back-n2332712

I'm sure that speaks for some on both sides.

On universities from both coasts, you will find examples of the left resorting to violence to shut down other's rights to speak and listen. Funny thing, those used to be a calling card for universities-the great diversity of discussions. No more.

revelarts
05-30-2017, 03:07 PM
I just posted on the crazy Portland mayor that has concluded we don't have a right to 'hate speech,' which of course he presumes to define. I also posted about the TX lawmakers that nearly came to blows, so dignified and likely to change minds.

Saw this yesterday, https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/05/29/liberals-are-shocked-to-find-were-starting-to-hate-them-right-back-n2332712

I'm sure that speaks for some on both sides.

On universities from both coasts, you will find examples of the left resorting to violence to shut down other's rights to speak and listen. Funny thing, those used to be a calling card for universities-the great diversity of discussions. No more.

AH,
you're talking about Violent Protest.

OK, a up tick in that. yes. Still not THAT unusual in american history .
though the reasons for it now are FAR less serious.
many of these colleges are ridiculous.

Drummond
05-31-2017, 09:53 AM
That's because you keep paying attention to what she writes.

Stand next to a drunk who hasn't bathed in months, and you'll probably get some pretty bad smells. But why does that astonish you? It's just the nature of that particular person, and everyone knows it.

Undeniably .. you have a point.

Drummond
05-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Interesting topic coming Democrat. How does it feel? I remember when then the left started this crap in the 70s. Now you've created a monster you can't control. It's worked for you in a way because you have control of the MSM. The left has the right afraid to open their mouths for fear of being as accused.

My stance is and always has been simple: say what you want, but you WILL be held accountable. The internet has no equal in being the best example. Loaded with big-mouthed fools who shoot off at the mouth knowing they won't be held accountable for their words.

THAT is what you, and others, want, Gabby. You want YOUR Right to freedom of speech at the expense of others' Rights. And Heaven forbid you be held accountable for what you say.

Here's a REAL simple and all too often played-out scenario: Self-censorship for fear of offending a "friend" when what that person is saying is just dumb.

This clown had the right to say what he wanted. He also had to the right to consider possible ramifications before he opened his mouth. His choice. And don't get me wrong. I think it's stupid to pick at every single word someone says. But that's the way it is.

The UK approach goes along with that ... in such a way as is consistent with Socialist Governments being voted in to power every so often, for the better part of a century. It goes like this ..

1. Say whatever you want.

2. Get arrested for it.

We still like to think we have free speech here. We do ... IF ... we then take consequences for it. Those consequences are being added to, year-on-year .....

Gunny
05-31-2017, 10:29 AM
The UK approach goes along with that ... in such a way as is consistent with Socialist Governments being voted in to power every so often, for the better part of a century. It goes like this ..

1. Say whatever you want.

2. Get arrested for it.

We still like to think we have free speech here. We do ... IF ... we then take consequences for it. Those consequences are being added to, year-on-year .....I'm kind of mixed on it. Legislation does not apply common sense. A lack of reading and comprehension skills prevails, and or flat-out purposeful misinterpretation.

I don't believe people should necessarily be held punitively responsible for every word they speak. On the other hand, I was taught that you ARE responsible for what comes out of your mouth, and once it's out, you can't take it back. Words are like bullets. I'm sorry after the fact rarely cuts it, especially in today's "looking for an excuse to be offended" society.

I was not really addressing the right or wrong. I was addressing the reality we live in. I think all this thin-skinned whining is baby-ass sh*t.

I also think that knowing the above is the situation -- ESPECIALLY on the NET where one can gauge their words and contemplate them before hitting "enter" -- one might consider what one one stands to lose by societal standards before hitting said "enter".

Russ
05-31-2017, 08:34 PM
I'm kind of mixed on it. Legislation does not apply common sense. A lack of reading and comprehension skills prevails, and or flat-out purposeful misinterpretation.

I don't believe people should necessarily be held punitively responsible for every word they speak. On the other hand, I was taught that you ARE responsible for what comes out of your mouth, and once it's out, you can't take it back. Words are like bullets. I'm sorry after the fact rarely cuts it, especially in today's "looking for an excuse to be offended" society.

I was not really addressing the right or wrong. I was addressing the reality we live in. I think all this thin-skinned whining is baby-ass sh*t.

I also think that knowing the above is the situation -- ESPECIALLY on the NET where one can gauge their words and contemplate them before hitting "enter" -- one might consider what one one stands to lose by societal standards before hitting said "enter".

Granted, Gunny. I'm fine with people being accountable for what comes out of their mouth, as long as the same standard is applied to everyone. I hate it when it's okay for one group of people to say something, but if a different group of people say the same thing then they should lose their jobs and/or be prosecuted. But that's how it seems to be, most of the time.

Gunny
05-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Granted, Gunny. I'm fine with people being accountable for what comes out of their mouth, as long as the same standard is applied to everyone. I hate it when it's okay for one group of people to say something, but if a different group of people say the same thing then they should lose their jobs and/or be prosecuted. But that's how it seems to be, most of the time.I tried to stick to one part of the subject because it's the simplest. I agree with you. I think it's a bunch of crap. I say what I want to whoever I want. I really don't care what they think about it.

I just check my mouth at the "is it worth it?" window before I do. There are many for instances. Like this is like talking to a hitch post so why waste my breath? Or is losing my job and putting my family on the soup line worth saying something that is going to be misconstrued and the words not listened to anyway? It's always been that way as far as I know.

Do I want to risk my next fitness report (means promotion or not) by telling the Capt he just came up with the dumbest plan since Pickett's Charge? It's a training exercise. Who cares?

Of course it's wrong. But it is what it is. Trust me, I'm not mr go along to get along. But I make sure I understand the possible consequences for my actions before I act, and IF I act, I am more than willing to accept those consequences.