PDA

View Full Version : DOD Attempting Ballistic Missile Take Down

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 11:04 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/pentagon-missile-test-north-korea-iran/

Looks like NK behavior is a bit more than annoying, whether Seoul likes US or not. Last stand of 'diplomacy?' Should be attempted in next few hours.

Gunny
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Good thing that unlike N Korea just doing it, we have to tell every-damned-one and his duck we're going to and give them a schedule. What dumbasses. What if it fails? That N Korean peacock will never shut up and the media dragging to death through the desert is a given.

SOme people need to learn to think before opening their damned mouths.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Good thing that unlike N Korea just doing it, we have to tell every-damned-one and his duck we're going to and give them a schedule. What dumbasses. What if it fails? That N Korean peacock will never shut up and the media dragging to death through the desert is a given.

SOme people need to learn to think before opening their damned mouths.

We're not the only country that can pick up missiles fired, as the NK test breaking from Seoul, then Japan attest to over the weekend. Unlike NK, we really can't be shooting things up or down without warning.

Gunny
05-30-2017, 11:55 AM
We're not the only country that can pick up missiles fired, as the NK test breaking from Seoul, then Japan attest to over the weekend. Unlike NK, we really can't be shooting things up or down without warning.Sure we can. All it takes is Lock and TOW -- press the red button. Works like a charm.

We keep screwing ourselves more than anyone else does being worried about what THEY think. We're the only ones following some set of rules that's -- guess what? -- designed to keep US in check. Everyone else does whatever the Hell they want.

If I blow up a US missile over the middle of the Pacific with another US missile? Get over it. I'll tell you about it later.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Sure we can. All it takes is Lock and TOW -- press the red button. Works like a charm.

We keep screwing ourselves more than anyone else does being worried about what THEY think. We're the only ones following some set of rules that's -- guess what? -- designed to keep US in check. Everyone else does whatever the Hell they want.

If I blow up a US missile over the middle of the Pacific with another US missile? Get over it. I'll tell you about it later.

You're right, as proven by US not confirming the commitment to Article V with NATO. It's a grand new world and you are leading the charge.

Gunny
05-30-2017, 12:05 PM
You're right, as proven by US not confirming the commitment to Article V with NATO. It's a grand new world and you are leading the charge.

No smartass, I'm watching the same old shit that hasn't worked yet crumble what's left of the world we have. Bunch of do-nothings. Just want to run your mouths and make deals no one's going to keep. Brilliant. Let the idiot children run the asylum. I sit with baited breath awaiting the next great plan.:rolleyes:

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 12:11 PM
No smartass, I'm watching the same old shit that hasn't worked yet crumble what's left of the world we have. Bunch of do-nothings. Just want to run your mouths and make deals no one's going to keep. Brilliant. Let the idiot children run the asylum. I sit with baited breath awaiting the next great plan.:rolleyes:

Luckily the quiet ones like you and those that are in line with your thinking are more or less in control. Agreements no longer matter, not past ones and certainly no future ones.

It is a grand time.

Abbey Marie
05-30-2017, 12:13 PM
The article says we are going to fire a test missile, then says that Trump condemns the test. It is poorly written, so I am actually unsure whose test Trump condemns- NKs or ours.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 12:18 PM
The article says we are going to fire a test missile, then says that Trump condemns the test. It is poorly written, so I am actually unsure whose test Trump condemns- NKs or ours.

Abbey, the 'condemned test' referred to NK's missile that landed by Japan.

Abbey Marie
05-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Abbey, the 'condemned test' referred to NK's missile that landed by Japan.

I figured it did, but logic rather than the poor writing led me there. Pet peeve; sorry.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 12:43 PM
I figured it did, but logic rather than the poor writing led me there. Pet peeve; sorry.

No need for apology, I didn't write it. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-30-2017, 12:50 PM
No need for apology, I didn't write it. :laugh:

True! You aren't, but some people are even sensitive about their attachments. :cool:

pete311
05-30-2017, 12:53 PM
It's actually pretty stunning that we haven't tested our system until now. I understand it's monstrously complex and difficult, but many people think we can easily shoot down a intercontinental missile. It's never been tested. Hopefully the test is encouraging.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 12:56 PM
It's actually pretty stunning that we haven't tested our system until now. I understand it's monstrously complex and difficult, but many people think we can easily shoot down a intercontinental missile. It's never been tested. Hopefully the test is encouraging.

Yep. While the 'defense' anti-missile program worked in Iraq War for Israel, those scuds were very different from ICBM's. I heard this morning they hadn't planned on this schedule, indeed the program wasn't planned for this level of testing for several years. That was probably based on the intel from Obama information of Iran and NK's abilities and time tables.

Obviously, that intel was faulty.

Gunny
05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Luckily the quiet ones like you and those that are in line with your thinking are more or less in control. Agreements no longer matter, not past ones and certainly no future ones.

It is a grand time.I wouldn't start with me on this route, pot. I know how to fight. You know how to lose. I'll take my record over yours any day.

Playing ostrich hasn't made the Kims go away since 1949. They not going to start today by giving in to them yet again. We got enough problems to deal with in the world right now. Tim to declaw this little bastard and let him scurry back into his until the next weak-kneed Dem President comes along. He wants attention? I'm all for giving him some.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't start with me on this route, pot. I know how to fight. You know how to lose. I'll take my record over yours any day.

Playing ostrich hasn't made the Kims go away since 1949. They not going to start today by giving in to them yet again. We got enough problems to deal with in the world right now. Tim to declaw this little bastard and let him scurry back into his until the next weak-kneed Dem President comes along. He wants attention? I'm all for giving him some.

Whatever makes you feel tough, Gunny.

I don't start this sort of nonsense, but will not let you just bully either.

How many times in the past week or so have you completely mistaken or maybe just misstating what was written? More than 3.

Black Diamond
05-30-2017, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't start with me on this route, pot. I know how to fight. You know how to lose. I'll take my record over yours any day.

To the person who said I thought this would be easy: I never guessed at the difficulty. I just said the guy needs to go. He needs to be six feet under. If it's hard, that doesn't take away the necessity. Normandy landing was hard and unpleasant. Should we not have done that. Does our country have the same backbone it did in 1944?

Gunny
05-30-2017, 02:46 PM
To the person who said I thought this would be easy: I never guessed at the difficulty. I just said the guy needs to go. He needs to be six feet under. If it's hard, that doesn't take away the necessity. Normandy landing was hard and unpleasant. Should we not have done that. Does our country have the same backbone it did in 1944?We'd have been slaughtered on D-Day. Not because of lack of ability. Politics and spineless whiners would kill us.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 04:43 PM
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/335682-pentagon-icbm-missile-intercept-test-a-success

Pentagon: ICBM missile intercept test a success

BY ELLEN MITCHELL - 05/30/17 04:59 PM EDT

The Pentagon on Tuesday successfully shot down an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in a first-time test that cost nearly $250 million and helps prepare the Defense Department (DOD) for a growing threat from North Korea.The DOD’s Missile Defense Agency (MDA) shot an interceptor from the Ground-based Midcourse Defense system (GMD) — a network meant to protect the country against a limited nuclear attack — at a target missile with a mock warhead meant to simulate an ICBM.

The target missile launched from Reagan Test Site Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands in the Pacific — nearly 5,0000 miles from Los Angeles — and the interceptor was fired from an underground silo at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The intercept took place over the Pacific Ocean, according to a Pentagon statement.

aboutime
05-30-2017, 06:43 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/pentagon-missile-test-north-korea-iran/

Looks like NK behavior is a bit more than annoying, whether Seoul likes US or not. Last stand of 'diplomacy?' Should be attempted in next few hours.

Kathianne. Please, please believe me on this. This capability is NOTHING NEW. I promise you. Since the Reagan days, when he wanted to institute STAR WARS. The U.S. Military has had more than a few tests of this ability to SHOOT DOWN incoming ICBM's.
The reason it sounds new to everyone is...we have never been challenged to PROVE IT until now. Truth is...and I can prove this too! We have ARLEIGH BURKE Class Destroyers in our navy that are capable of Destroying EVERY TYPE OF Incoming Missile. Not to mention that only recently..The U.S. Air Force, and Navy have begun using LASER weapons, carried in the nose of 747 size aircraft, and on ships with the LASER GUN.
NK China, and Russia may THINK they have this...but they won't be telling the truth.

http://youtu.be/4MM_NI1aHks

Abbey Marie
05-30-2017, 07:25 PM
To the person who said I thought this would be easy: I never guessed at the difficulty. I just said the guy needs to go. He needs to be six feet under. If it's hard, that doesn't take away the necessity. Normandy landing was hard and unpleasant. Should we not have done that. Does our country have the same backbone it did in 1944?

Time will tell, but my belief is that we are no longer a country brimming with men of integrity and selflessness. Our previous vets did their duty and didn't whine about it. What I see mostly today are a huge number of entitled whiners.

God help us. Literally.

Kathianne
05-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Time will tell, but my belief is that we are no longer a country brimming with men of integrity and selflessness. Our previous vets did their duty and didn't whine about it. What I see mostly today are a huge number of entitled whiners.

God help us. Literally.

There have always been 'complaints' against all wars, including WWII. Remember that only 1/3 of the population supported the Revolutionary War. 1/3 opposed and 1/3 had 'no opinion, would go with who won.' LOL! Civil War on both sides used many proxies as the elite that made was, weren't so keen to fight in it. WWI really had little support, from the President on down. There were reasons FDR ran as 'keeping us out of war,' in his 3rd term. Yeah, he lied.

Some of this is certainly related to Gunny's 'Late to war' thread, but I'm really not into elaboration right now. ;)

Kathianne
05-31-2017, 08:01 AM
You mean?

https://strategypage.com/on_point/20170530233337.aspx

Successful U.S. Missile Defenders Need to Keep On Shooting
by Austin Bay (http://www.austinbay.net/)
May 30, 2017

Scratch one Intercontinental Ballistic Missile -- and congratulations to the U.S. Missile Defense Agency on its successful test of the Ground-based Missile Defense system.

On May 30, the GMD's sensor systems detected "an intercontinental-range" target missile on a track over the Pacific Ocean. Its long-range Ground-Based Interceptor and its exo-atmospheric kill vehicle combination intercepted and destroyed the target.

I doubt this successful test will curb North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un's pathological belligerence. However, it politically and technologically bolsters allies like Japan, who no longer ignore Pyongyang's nuclear threats. On May 29, a North Korean test missile splashed down in Japanese water.

North Korea insistently threatens South Korea and Japan. Its newer missiles can strike Guam, Hawaii and parts of Alaska. It is developing ICBMs to hit Los Angeles and Washington.

The U.S. and its allies have tested and deployed several capable "lower tier" anti-missile systems. When linked these systems provide a "thin," layered defense against enemy IRBMs. The Patriot PAC-3 and the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missiles protect South Korea and Guam. Japan has the Patriot. The U.S. and Japan deploying AEGIS Ballistic Missile Defense warships.

But now for the shameful fact: this latest test is the first live missile test since June 2014 and the first ever pitting the GBI-EKV combination against an ICBM.

Since 2000, MDA has conducted only 18 "end to end" tests of the GBI-EKV combination. The Pentagon rated 10 tests as successful. Three tests occurred at the tail end of the Clinton Administration, 11 during the Bush Administration and four during the Obama Administration's tenure. This week's test was the Trump Administration's first.

That is a sparse and fitful test program, especially given the warning time. In 1998, North Korea shocked Asia and America when it tested its first ballistic missile. In 2011, North Korea accelerated its missile testing and nuclear weapons programs.

Kathianne
05-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Kathianne. Please, please believe me on this. This capability is NOTHING NEW. I promise you. Since the Reagan days, when he wanted to institute STAR WARS. The U.S. Military has had more than a few tests of this ability to SHOOT DOWN incoming ICBM's.
The reason it sounds new to everyone is...we have never been challenged to PROVE IT until now. Truth is...and I can prove this too! We have ARLEIGH BURKE Class Destroyers in our navy that are capable of Destroying EVERY TYPE OF Incoming Missile. Not to mention that only recently..The U.S. Air Force, and Navy have begun using LASER weapons, carried in the nose of 747 size aircraft, and on ships with the LASER GUN.
NK China, and Russia may THINK they have this...but they won't be telling the truth.

You mean?

Successful U.S. Missile Defenders Need to Keep On Shooting

by Austin Bay (http://www.austinbay.net/)
May 30, 2017

On May 30, the GMD's sensor systems detected "an intercontinental-range" target missile on a track over the Pacific Ocean. Its long-range Ground-Based Interceptor and its exo-atmospheric kill vehicle combination intercepted and destroyed the target.

I doubt this successful test will curb North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un's pathological belligerence. However, it politically and technologically bolsters allies like Japan, who no longer ignore Pyongyang's nuclear threats. On May 29, a North Korean test missile splashed down in Japanese water.

North Korea insistently threatens South Korea and Japan. Its newer missiles can strike Guam, Hawaii and parts of Alaska. It is developing ICBMs to hit Los Angeles and Washington.

The U.S. and its allies have tested and deployed several capable "lower tier" anti-missile systems. When linked these systems provide a "thin," layered defense against enemy IRBMs. The Patriot PAC-3 and the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missiles protect South Korea and Guam. Japan has the Patriot. The U.S. and Japan deploying AEGIS Ballistic Missile Defense warships.

But now for the shameful fact: this latest test is the first live missile test since June 2014 and the first ever pitting the GBI-EKV combination against an ICBM.

Since 2000, MDA has conducted only 18 "end to end" tests of the GBI-EKV combination. The Pentagon rated 10 tests as successful. Three tests occurred at the tail end of the Clinton Administration, 11 during the Bush Administration and four during the Obama Administration's tenure. This week's test was the Trump Administration's first.

That is a sparse and fitful test program, especially given the warning time. In 1998, North Korea shocked Asia and America when it tested its first ballistic missile. In 2011, North Korea accelerated its missile testing and nuclear weapons programs.

Gunny
05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
You mean?

Who is footing the bill is the first question that comes to my mind. If it's the DoN, the money's not there.

aboutime
05-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Who is footing the bill is the first question that comes to my mind. If it's the DoN, the money's not there.

Gunny. If the defensive missiles (36 I believe), already exist. They have probably been paid for from previous federal, Military budgets.

In short. WE THE PEOPLE are footing the bill. And as the President has said. There is 50 billion more being requested in the 2018 Budget.

Funny how the Liberals NEVER ask Who will foot the bill for WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, and all the other so-called "ENTITLEMENTS" democrat voters have learned to expect.