PDA

View Full Version : This is a good thing!

Mr. P
08-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I just heard Publix (a grocery chain here in the S.E.) are filling scripts for 7 of the most prescribed antibiotics for FREE!

Mr. P
08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Following the lead of retailers such as Wal-Mart and Meijer, Publix Super Markets says it's offering a free prescription antibiotic program at its 684 Publix pharmacies for oral antibiotics.

The program began Monday.
Click here to find out more!

Publix has 907 stores in Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama.

The drugs are amoxicillin, cephalexin, sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (SMZ-TMP), ciprofloxacin (excluding ciprofloxacin XR), penicillin VK, ampicillin and erythromycin (excluding Ery-Tab). http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2007/08/06/daily10.html

dan
08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
That's cool, Publix is the only food store I shop at, their customer service is great, the stores are clean, and unlike Wal-Mart they actually keep more than two registers open at a time.

jackass
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I like Publix most out of all the other food stores around. They are MUCH cleaner and nicer. Also their prices are the best I think.
Thats cool that they are doing that for the antibiotics!

dan
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I like Publix most out of all the other food stores around. They are MUCH cleaner and nicer. Also their prices are the best I think.

Down here, they're a little more for meats and seafood. That said, you get what you pay for. Pretty much comparable as far as other stuff goes, though.

Pale Rider
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I just heard Publix (a grocery chain here in the S.E.) are filling scripts for 7 of the most prescribed antibiotics for FREE!

Why?

(I never heard of them.)

Mr. P
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Why?

(I never heard of them.)

I'm sure it's a business move, Pale. Increase market share by attracting customers to your store. Regardless, it's a win, win for all concerned.

Pale Rider
08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm sure it's a business move, Pale. Increase market share by attracting customers to your store. Regardless, it's a win, win for all concerned.

There's a little mall right acrossed the street from the huge super Wal Mart up here. They've been building around on it adding all kinds of stores, and finally, the biggest of the new remodels displays what it's going to be... a new Kohls. Now I know "Herb Kohl," the democratic senator from Wisconsin owns all these stores. As much as I'd like to see someone give Wal Mart some serious competition, I probably won't shop at the Kohls. I'm not going to support a democrap. I was looking at cutlery in Wal Mart last night. Three different brand knives, all packaged THE SAME, and all MADE IN CHINA. I swear, fuck that store. The only thing I'll buy in there is GROCERIES. I REFUSE to buy all their CRAP MADE IN CHINA.

Mr. P
08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
There's a little mall right acrossed the street from the huge super Wal Mart up here. They've been building around on it adding all kinds of stores, and finally, the biggest of the new remodels displays what it's going to be... a new Kohls. Now I know "Herb Kohl," the democratic senator from Wisconsin owns all these stores. As much as I'd like to see someone give Wal Mart some serious competition, I probably won't shop at the Kohls. I'm not going to support a democrap. I was looking at cutlery in Wal Mart last night. Three different brand knives, all packaged THE SAME, and all MADE IN CHINA. I swear, fuck that store. The only thing I'll buy in there is GROCERIES. I REFUSE to buy all their CRAP MADE IN CHINA.

If you're looking for high quality cutlery I wouldn't look a WalMart. :poke:

jackass
08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I was looking at cutlery in Wal Mart last night. Three different brand knives, all packaged THE SAME, and all MADE IN CHINA. I swear, fuck that store. The only thing I'll buy in there is GROCERIES. I REFUSE to buy all their CRAP MADE IN CHINA.

I buy all of our lunchneat there. It is the only reasonable place for lunchmeat nowadays!

Pale Rider
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I buy all of our lunchneat there. It is the only reasonable place for lunchmeat nowadays!

Of course... it's Oscar Mayer. I do to. But the Oscar Mayer plant is in Madison, Wisconsin, "USA."

dan
08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
If I'm in the mood for some good lunchmeat, I get Boar's Head from Publix (I'm not sure if they're the only ones that sell it or not). Stuff's expensive, the ham I got was $8.59 a pound (!), but it's really good, definitely worth it.

red states rule
08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Wal Mart has been charging only $4 for alot of their perscriptions for some time now

JohnDoe
08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I just heard Publix (a grocery chain here in the S.E.) are filling scripts for 7 of the most prescribed antibiotics for FREE!Darn, I miss Publix! I haven't seen Publix since we lived in Florida! It was a choice of Publix, Winn Dixie, or Albertsons...and Publix was our choice because it was so clean and organized!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

And regarding them offering antibiotics for free is awesome....who is their drugstore now? It used to be Eckerd Drugs, but I had heard while living up here, that either Brooks Pharmacy or maybe it was CVS took them over?

As a Liberal... :D, who would have thunk that Walmart has actually done a "good thing" to cause this kind of competition for customers? lol j/k

red states rule
08-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Darn, I miss Publix! I haven't seen Publix since we lived in Florida! It was a choice of Publix, Winn Dixie, or Albertsons...and Publix was our choice because it was so clean and organized!!!

And regarding them offering antibiotics for free is awesome....who is their drugstore now? It used to be Eckerd Drugs, but I had heard while living up here, that either Brooks Pharmacy or maybe it was CVS took them over?

As a Liberal... :D, who would have thunk that Walmart has actually done a "good thing" to cause this kind of competition for customers? lol j/k

If you have a Wal Mart Super Center you can get nearly everything you need in one place at a great price

Abbey Marie
08-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Darn, I miss Publix! I haven't seen Publix since we lived in Florida! It was a choice of Publix, Winn Dixie, or Albertsons...and Publix was our choice because it was so clean and organized!!!

But now you probabaly have Shaw's. :)

Hey JD- we will bee in Maine next week for our annual summer vacay. Maybe I'll see you in some wireless cafe'. :salute:

JohnDoe
08-08-2007, 08:14 AM
If you have a Wal Mart Super Center you can get nearly everything you need in one place at a great pricenope, none near me....there is one about 30 miles away, near my husband's work. There is a proposal to bring one in to a busier town that is 15 miles from me, but the town is fighting it, they are afraid that their local business men will go bankrupt and run out of business, and concerned with the added traffic on the town roads, from putting one in... but I think Walmart might win this one...the town is 50 % for it and 50% against it...but the mighty dollar, will probably win, with the town managers.

red states rule
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
nope, none near me....there is one about 30 miles away, near my husband's work. There is a proposal to bring one in to a busier town that is 15 miles from me, but the town is fighting it, they are afraid that their local business men will go bankrupt and run out of business, and concerned with the added traffic on the town roads, from putting one in... but I think Walmart might win this one...the town is 50 % for it and 50% against it...but the mighty dollar, will probably win, with the town managers.

The Wal mart will bring in more businesses and generate alot of tax revenue. The town is nuts for not wanting Wal mart to come in

JohnDoe
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
But now you probabaly have Shaw's. :)

Hey JD- we will bee in Maine next week for our annual summer vacay. Maybe I'll see you in some wireless cafe'. :salute:
Mr. Paperback, ellsworth....see ya there some time! When I get frustrated with my dial up, I drive the 15 miles just to get the free broadband for a cup of Jo! :D

The weather has been fabulous!!! It is vacationland here!

Enjoy your retreat with your family Abbey!!!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/scenery049.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/brooksvillejuly07040.jpg

Abbey Marie
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Thank you, JD! We stay on a lake, but usually take a coastal side trip, too.

JohnDoe
08-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Thank you, JD! We stay on a lake, but usually take a coastal side trip, too.yw!

On the grocery store thing, we have a very small Hannaford grocery store...which is a division of Albertsons.... it is only 3 miles.

Shaws is in town, ellsworth....15 miles away! I like Shaws over Hannaford, especially their salad bar! :)

Enjoy the Lake! It is the only "reasonable" place to take a dip up here...the Ocean....well let's just say the 87 degrees the Gulf was the day we left Florida in the month of September many moons ago, prohibits us from even thinking about going in the Ocean up here! Only Mainers, (Mainiacs) and maybe Canadians would consider it, and maybe young children who know, no better! hahaha!

dan
08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
The Wal mart will bring in more businesses and generate alot of tax revenue. The town is nuts for not wanting Wal mart to come in

This is true, but there are also a lot of cons to Walmart. My town is so eager, they've built two Super Wal-Marts, about six miles away from one another. So, now....

1) the newest one was opened in a nice part of town. I hate to say it, but Wal-Mart attracts the lowest members of society, and as such, this part of town ain't so nice anymore.

2) Traffic has gotten horrendous in these areas.

3) Many small, local businesses are closing shop because they can't compete with Wal-Mart.

4) The nice, small community has now become an eyesore of corporate strip malls.

5) going along with that, the local "feel" of this town, and many, many others across America, is being erased in favor of a homogenized consumer villa. Every place I go to is starting to look the same, same stores, same landscaping, same architecture. I blame Wal-mart.

Mr. P
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM

I thought they ran their own pharmacies. I've never seen anything in the store indicating another company was involved.

JohnDoe
08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I thought they ran their own pharmacies. I've never seen anything in the store indicating another company was involved.
Maybe they do where you are...?

They DID NOT run their own Pharmas in Florida when I was there, they had a contract with Eckerd Drugs... every strip mall that Publix was in had an Eckerd Drugs attached. This was several years agao, but I believe CVS took the Eckerds over?

Mr. P
08-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Maybe they do where you are...?

They DID NOT run their own Pharmas in Florida when I was there, they had a contract with Eckerd Drugs... every strip mall that Publix was in had an Eckerd Drugs attached. This was several years agao, but I believe CVS took the Eckerds over?

I see.. Here they are all in store not attached. I have seen what you're talking about in Fla. though.

I think there was an attempt to merge or buy CVS/Eckerds maybe 8 yrs ago. I don't think it ever happened we still have both here. Of course they could be owned by the same parent co. Donno.

jackass
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Maine. Even thought of moving there. Maybe one day! :) Have fun on your vacation.

Abbey Marie
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Maine. Even thought of moving there. Maybe one day! :) Have fun on your vacation.

Thanks, J. My husband's parents grew up in Maine, so we all love to go. It is a very cool place.

red states rule
08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
This is true, but there are also a lot of cons to Walmart. My town is so eager, they've built two Super Wal-Marts, about six miles away from one another. So, now....

1) the newest one was opened in a nice part of town. I hate to say it, but Wal-Mart attracts the lowest members of society, and as such, this part of town ain't so nice anymore.

2) Traffic has gotten horrendous in these areas.

3) Many small, local businesses are closing shop because they can't compete with Wal-Mart.

4) The nice, small community has now become an eyesore of corporate strip malls.

5) going along with that, the local "feel" of this town, and many, many others across America, is being erased in favor of a homogenized consumer villa. Every place I go to is starting to look the same, same stores, same landscaping, same architecture. I blame Wal-mart.

Wal Mart has done more for the working families of America, and the US economy; then the US government and all its programs

If the "small shops" can't compete - is that Wal Mart's fault?

dan
08-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Wal Mart has done more for the working families of America, and the US economy; then the US government and all its programs

If the "small shops" can't compete - is that Wal Mart's fault?

In theory, no, but the fact that they oversaturate the market with their stores doesn't exactly make them look like the "good guys", no matter how cheap their crappy products are.

red states rule
08-09-2007, 06:07 AM
In theory, no, but the fact that they oversaturate the market with their stores doesn't exactly make them look like the "good guys", no matter how cheap their crappy products are.

The only reason the left is opposed to Wal Mart is because they refuse to allow the unions to infest their company

Working families can go to Wal Mart, get nearly everything they need at a fair price. They are bale to get more for their money and do it at one place

PostmodernProphet
08-09-2007, 06:24 AM
The only reason the left is opposed to Wal Mart is because they refuse to allow the unions to infest their company

Working families can go to Wal Mart, get nearly everything they need at a fair price. They are bale to get more for their money and do it at one place

??....do you think that only liberals are opposed to WalMarts opening up?....box stores make it tough on small businesses, regardless of the political leanings of their owners.....

I know a heating contractor who told me that Lowe's retails hot water heaters for less than he can buy them from his regional distributor....

the net result of box stores is that money that used to end up in the local economy leaves town, often to end up leaving the country......

the constant demand for the cheapest products, cheapest food, cheapest fuel impoverishes all of us.....not something conservatives should promote.....

red states rule
08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
??....do you think that only liberals are opposed to WalMarts opening up?....box stores make it tough on small businesses, regardless of the political leanings of their owners.....

I know a heating contractor who told me that Lowe's retails hot water heaters for less than he can buy them from his regional distributor....

the net result of box stores is that money that used to end up in the local economy leaves town, often to end up leaving the country......

the constant demand for the cheapest products, cheapest food, cheapest fuel impoverishes all of us.....not something conservatives should promote.....

Hey, it is called capitalism. Nobody forces people to shop at Wal Mart - they choose to go there

If people can get more for their money and get what they want - what is the problem?

red states rule
08-09-2007, 06:43 AM
One of the best articles on Wal Mart I have seen

Is Wal-Mart Good for America?
The campaign against the company is about union politics.

Saturday, December 3, 2005 12:01 a.m. EST

It is a testament to the public-relations success of the anti-Wal-Mart campaign that the question above is even being asked.

By any normal measure, Wal-Mart's business ought to be noncontroversial. It sells at low cost, albeit in mind-boggling quantities, the quotidian products that huge numbers of Americans evidently want to buy--from household goods to clothes to food.

Wal-Mart employs about 1.3 million people, about 1% of the American work force. Its sales, at around $300 billion a year, are equal to 2.5% of U.S. gross domestic product. It is not, however, an especially profitable company. Its net profit margins, at about 3.5% of revenue, are broadly in line with the rest of the retail industry. In fiscal 2004, Microsoft made more money than Wal-Mart on just one-eighth of the sales.

The company's success and size, then, do not rest on monopoly profits or price-gouging behavior. It simply sells things people will buy at small markups and, as in the old saw, makes it up on volume. We draw your attention to that total revenue number because, in a sense, it tells you most of what you need to know about Wal-Mart. You may believe, as do service-worker unions and a clutch of coastal elites--many of whom, we'd wager, have never set foot in a Wal-Mart--that Wal-Mart "exploits" workers who can't say no to low wages and poor benefits. You might also accept the canard that Wal-Mart drives good local businesses into the ground, although both of these allegations are more myth than reality.

But even if you buy into the myths, there's no getting around the fact that somewhere out there, millions of people are spending billions of dollars on what Wal-Mart puts on its shelves. No one is making them do it. To the extent that mom-and-pop stores are threatened by Wal-Mart, it's because the same people who supposedly so value their Main Street hardware store find that Wal-Mart's selection, or prices, or parking lot--something about it--is preferable. Wal-Mart can't make mom and pop shut down the shop any more than it can make customers walk through the doors or pull out their wallets. You don't sell $300 billion a year worth of anything without doing something right.
What about the workers? In response to long-running criticisms about its pay and benefits, Wal-Mart's CEO, Lee Scott, recently called on the government to raise the minimum wage. But as this page noted at the time, Wal-Mart's average starting wage is already nearly double the national minimum of $5.15 an hour.

So raising it would have little effect on Wal-Mart, but calling for it to be raised anyway must have struck someone in the company as a good way to appease its political critics. (Bad call: Senator Ted Kennedy quickly pocketed the concession and kept denouncing the company.) The fact is that the company's starting hourly wages not only aren't as bad as portrayed, but for many workers those wages are only a start. Some 70% of Wal-Mart's executives have worked their way up from the company's front lines.

The company has also recently increased its health-care options for employees on the bottom rungs of the corporate ladder. Starting in January, one of those options will be a high-deductible health savings account, which is a great way to insure yourself if you're relatively young, relatively healthy and yet want to protect against the onset of some catastrophic illness. Mr. Kennedy, who recently called Wal-Mart one of the most "antiworker" companies around, has been a chief opponent of these pro-worker, pro-market health insurance vehicles.

But suppose Wal-Mart did look more like the company its detractors would like it to be, with overpaid workers, union work rules, and correspondingly higher prices on goods. It would not only be a less attractive place to shop, and hence a considerably smaller company. It would drive up the cost of living for the millions who shop there, thus hurting those in the bottom half of the income-distribution tables that Wal-Mart's critics claim to be speaking for. One might expect this fact to trouble the anti-Wal-Mart forces, except that their agenda is very different from what they profess it to be.
As our Holman W. Jenkins Jr. pointed out in a recent column, the vanguard of the Wal-Mart haters is composed of unions that have for decades kept retail wages and prices artificially high, especially in the supermarket business. Those unions have had next to no success organizing Wal-Mart employees and see Wal-Mart's push into groceries as a direct threat to their market position. And on that one score, they may be right.

But seen in that light, it becomes clear that much of the criticism is simply a form of special-interest lobbying in socially conscious drag. And why an outside observer should favor the interests of unionized supermarket employees over those of Wal-Mart shoppers and employees is far from clear (unless you're a politician who gets union contributions).

Any company as successful as Wal-Mart will invariably run afoul of such vested interests. It is in the nature of the rise of a new giant on the scene that it disrupts established ways of doing things and in the process upsets established players. So it was with Standard Oil at the beginning of the 20th century, IBM in the middle and Microsoft at the end of the century. Wal-Mart, perhaps because it restricted itself to towns of less than 15,000 people as a matter of policy into the 1990s, at first avoided and later seemed blindsided by the attacks that have come its way.

The company has never been shy about defending its interests. But some of its recent ripostes--such as Mr. Scott's call for hiking the minimum wage or its gestures toward fighting global warming--seem to be addressed to the wrong audience.

Its customers don't need to be told what they like about Wal-Mart. But the company's management would do well to bear in mind that it is those millions of shoppers, and not the elites with which the company has sometimes of late been seen to be currying favor, that have made the company what it is.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/weekend/hottopic/?id=110007634