PDA

View Full Version : Board games

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 10:26 AM
I bought an old copy of the game "Life" yesterday (for $1.00) at a yard sale, and we played it last night. We are big board game players, and probably have over 50 in the collection. It got me thinking about what are my favorites, and everyone else's.

I would say:

Clue
Probe (old word game out of production)
Personal Preference (old game out of production)
Betrayal at House on the Hill

How about you?
If this is not your thing, it's ok; no need to tell us that.

Black Diamond
06-04-2017, 10:32 AM
The life game we played when I was a kid had a unique spinner that was bad ass.

I like life. I always wanted to be a tycoon. :smile:

I liked stratego. But I don't remember how to play it. I Think Gunny would like it.

I like parcheesi and monopoly.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 10:51 AM

I liked stratego. But I don't remember how to play it. I Think Gunny would like it.

I like parcheesi and monopoly.

The spinner is pretty cool. :thumb:

Russ likes Stratego, too. Must be a guy thing?

Gunny
06-04-2017, 11:02 AM

I like parcheesi and monopoly.Gunny STILL knows how to play Stratego. I The first board game I learned to play was Chess.

I used to love Life when I was a bout 13. Had just discovered girls existed and were more than nuisances ( was wrong about the latter). Odd what dumb things kids will do at 13. I'd go to this girl's carport in housing (a whole 3 duplexes away and I'd ride my bike :) ) and we'd play Life every day. And I'd ask her to go with me every day, She'd say no every day. :laugh: Then I discovered another girl in housing and I was informed most ricky-tick just EXACTLY whose boyfriend I was. I said but you told me no every day all summer. She just walked back into her carport shaking her head while the other girl informed me what a clueless dumbass I was.:laugh:

I also like Monopoly for a few years, but it got too monotonous for me. That game can go for days.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Gunny STILL knows how to play Stratego. I The first board game I learned to play was Chess.

I used to love Life when I was a bout 13. Had just discovered girls existed and were more than nuisances ( was wrong about the latter). Odd what dumb things kids will do at 13. I'd go to this girl's carport in housing (a whole 3 duplexes away and I'd ride my bike :) ) and we'd play Life every day. And I'd ask her to go with me every day, She'd say no every day. :laugh: Then I discovered another girl in housing and I was informed most ricky-tick just EXACTLY whose boyfriend I was. I said but you told me no every day all summer. She just walked back into her carport shaking her head while the other girl informed me what a clueless dumbass I was.:laugh:

I also like Monopoly for a few years, but it got too monotonous for me. That game can go for days.

I feel the same about Monopoly. It never had enough variation or real strategy for me.

When our daughter was still very young, she asked to play Monopoly with us. I agreed, and played the same way I would with an adult. She of course lost. And burst into tears. I felt badly but did not coddle her over it. I still think it was a valuable life lesson. No "participation trophies" in this household, lol.

Kathianne
06-04-2017, 04:15 PM
The spinner is pretty cool. :thumb:

Russ likes Stratego, too. Must be a guy thing?

I like Life, Stratego, Risk (one of the top 3 favorites), Monopoly, Battleship, Stratego, Apples-to-Apples, Ticket to Ride, Trivial Pursuit, many more. Those listed are like the best for playing with family. ;)

Elessar
06-04-2017, 06:13 PM
It is not really a board game, but I still like Triple Yahtzee.

Yeah....I do like The Lord of The Rings Trivial Pursuit.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 06:16 PM
It is not really a board game, but I still like Triple Yahtzee.

Yeah....I do like The Lord of The Rings Trivial Pursuit.

LOTR Trivia was another great yard sale find, from years ago. It isn't easy...

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 06:17 PM
I like Life, Stratego, Risk (one of the top 3 favorites), Monopoly, Battleship, Stratego, Apples-to-Apples, Ticket to Ride, Trivial Pursuit, many more. Those listed are like the best for playing with family. ;)

I've played all of those except Ticket to Ride. Have no idea what it's about.

Elessar
06-04-2017, 06:17 PM
LOTR Trivia was another great yard sale find, from years ago. It isn't easy...

It is NOT easy at all! Even for one who has read the books 'several' times.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 06:20 PM
It is NOT easy at all! Even for one who has read the books 'several' times.

Seriously, I've read them at least 20 times, many years ago, and I had a tough time!

Gunny
06-04-2017, 07:13 PM
I like Life, Stratego, Risk (one of the top 3 favorites), Monopoly, Battleship, Stratego, Apples-to-Apples, Ticket to Ride, Trivial Pursuit, many more. Those listed are like the best for playing with family. ;)I loved Trivia Pursuit. I know more useless factoids than anyone I know.:laugh:

We mostly played Spades once I joined the Marines. Or Poker. Backgammon at times. The barracks and ship's berthing are boring. No board for the cards but they are games. I'd play checkers and Chinese checkers with my grandfather when I was a kid.

NightTrain
06-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Absolutely the BEST board game ever is called 'Rail Baron'. My brother and I will still play that one at times with all our kids and it's still as fun as it was the first time we played it back in '82 or so. Really teaches the kids US geography along with actual railroads & routes as well.

A close second is Stratego - and I'll whup Gunny's ass if I can find an online version!

Chess for 3rd place. My Dad was very good at it and it took me about 6 years of regular playing before I could sometimes checkmate him - he could think further ahead than I was capable of, so my strategy turned to distractions when I recognized a setup he was maneuvering for that I couldn't see what he was up to. A sudden random move from the other side of the board would blow up his strategy and I had to keep him on his toes with the occasional random move. His favorites were the knights, where I would favor a lurking bishop / queen combo. We had some awesome games.

Played a lot of monopoly when I was growing up out in the boonies as a kid, and my Dad used to really fry my ass with those sweetheart deals he'd make with my siblings... he was ruthless and knew he had to keep me away from the Oranges & light blues or I'd nail him. But I burned out on monopoly.. occasionally we'll play a game and I'm as ruthless with the kids (maybe not the wife, though!) as my old man was. They get pissed, but there's no freebies from me around here... you want to win, you have to earn it.

Risk was always pretty good, but really, the winning ticket to Risk is biding your time, let the other knuckleheads beat each other up and come storming out of Australia to clean up. Never try to hold Asia, even with those 7 troops each turn. North & South America was a winner with only 3 points to defend, but everyone knew you had to be taken out within 3 turns or you'd dominate, so that didn't happen very often. Africa and Europe were losers pretty much every time with so many points to defend. A couple of times I won by retreating to Madagascar and just sitting there collecting 3 troops each turn while everyone else duked it out, turn in bonus cards and storm into a South America / Africa position with an eye to taking over North America next.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised there are no other Clue lovers here. It's such a fun game, and deduction is always entertaining to me.

Miss Abbey in the Lounge with a Sharp Retort?

:laugh2:

Russ
06-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Absolutely the BEST board game ever is called 'Rail Baron'. My brother and I will still play that one at times with all our kids and it's still as fun as it was the first time we played it back in '82 or so. Really teaches the kids US geography along with actual railroads & routes as well.

A close second is Stratego - and I'll whup Gunny's ass if I can find an online version!

Chess for 3rd place. My Dad was very good at it and it took me about 6 years of regular playing before I could sometimes checkmate him - he could think further ahead than I was capable of, so my strategy turned to distractions when I recognized a setup he was maneuvering for that I couldn't see what he was up to. A sudden random move from the other side of the board would blow up his strategy and I had to keep him on his toes with the occasional random move. His favorites were the knights, where I would favor a lurking bishop / queen combo. We had some awesome games.

Played a lot of monopoly when I was growing up out in the boonies as a kid, and my Dad used to really fry my ass with those sweetheart deals he'd make with my siblings... he was ruthless and knew he had to keep me away from the Oranges & light blues or I'd nail him. But I burned out on monopoly.. occasionally we'll play a game and I'm as ruthless with the kids (maybe not the wife, though!) as my old man was. They get pissed, but there's no freebies from me around here... you want to win, you have to earn it.

Risk was always pretty good, but really, the winning ticket to Risk is biding your time, let the other knuckleheads beat each other up and come storming out of Australia to clean up. Never try to hold Asia, even with those 7 troops each turn. North & South America was a winner with only 3 points to defend, but everyone knew you had to be taken out within 3 turns or you'd dominate, so that didn't happen very often. Africa and Europe were losers pretty much every time with so many points to defend. A couple of times I won by retreating to Madagascar and just sitting there collecting 3 troops each turn while everyone else duked it out, turn in bonus cards and storm into a South America / Africa position with an eye to taking over North America next.

I've never seen Rail Baron, but I love Stratego and Chess and Risk. If anyone finds any online versions of any of them, I'm in! :thumb: :beer:

Nice strategy on the Risk, NT. I agree, I think - best to start in South America and then expand to North America. Alternatively to Africa. No one gets worried about you until its too late. Starting in Australia is easy but can't go anywhere, and its impossible to start in North America, Europe, or especially Asia.

Russ
06-04-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised there are no other Clue lovers here. It's such a fun game, and deduction is always entertaining to me.

Miss Abbey in the Lounge with a Sharp Retort.

:laugh2:

Russ in the Billiard Room, with the Bottle of Scotch. :salute: :cheers2:

Abbey Marie
06-04-2017, 09:00 PM

And a redhead?

Kathianne
06-04-2017, 09:10 PM
I've played all of those except Ticket to Ride. Have no idea what it's about.

It's fun! We played it with like 10 a few Christmases ago.

NightTrain
06-04-2017, 09:16 PM

And a redhead?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10045&stc=1

NightTrain
06-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Here's a link to Rail Baron... they don't make it anymore, so the prices skyrocketed bigtime. There's some listed for over $800.

If you can find one in a 2nd hand shop or something, be sure to buy it!

https://www.amazon.com/Baron-Building-Railroad-Empires-Avalon/dp/B00000JZGC/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1496629168&sr=8-2&keywords=%22rail+baron%22+board+game

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Just ordered a new party game for vacation this summer. It's called Codenames. Anyone ever played it?

NightTrain
06-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Just ordered a new party game for vacation this summer. It's called Codenames. Anyone ever played it?

Nyet.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
On the topic, on a more serious note, I am a big believer in families playing board games together. I think it is a great way to build various family bonds and values.

NightTrain
06-05-2017, 01:03 PM
On the topic, on a more serious note, I am a big believer in families playing board games together. I think it is a great way to build various family bonds and values.

Agree 100%. All of us these days are too wrapped up in digital entertainment - interacting with other faceless people and ignoring those most dear to you within arm's reach.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Agree 100%. All of us these days are too wrapped up in digital entertainment - interacting with other faceless people and ignoring those most dear to you within arm's reach.

Amen!

Kathianne
06-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Always played board games with my kids and their friends. My parents did with us, indeed at holidays the whole extended family played 'Rummy Royal' which is actually a card game, with a board. ;)

My mom played Scrabble and Monopoly much like Rick's dad, she was fierce!

Now all of my kids are still big on board games, they have parties where they have various boards set up and it is a lot of fun.

SassyLady
06-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Well, I have to say that Monopoly was one of our family favorites. When I sold the house in California I gave away probably five different versions of Monopoly. My favorite is still the original version and I'm a little peeved about the fact that they're changing some of the tokens.

However, my absolute favorite game of all is Scrabble. People quit playing with me because nobody could beat me so I have a really nice, beautiful game board that never gets used. Now that I live in Tucson some of our neighbors love playing board games. We play a lot of Rummikub and a domino game called chicken foot which is kind of a version of Mexican train. But as far as board games ... I am the champion Chinese checkers, checkers and chess champion in our family.

I truly do suck at Pictionary and charades. I didn't think there would ever be a game that I didn't like playing, however, last weekend I was over at daughters and we were all playing that new sick game called Cards Against Humanity. I think it was developed by nerds sitting in their mother's basement. Truly disgusting but at times could be incredibly funny.

Anyway, Abby, you opened up a can of worms as far as what I love to do. I love game night!

SassyLady
06-05-2017, 10:13 PM
I bought an old copy of the game "Life" yesterday (for $1.00) at a yard sale, and we played it last night. We are big board game players, and probably have over 50 in the collection. It got me thinking about what are my favorites, and everyone else's.

I would say:

Clue
Probe (old word game out of production)
Personal Preference (old game out of production)
Betrayal at House on the Hill

How about you?
If this is not your thing, it's ok; no need to tell us that.

None of those....:beer:

SassyLady
06-05-2017, 10:19 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10050&stc=1

Here's what I play with the youngest grandson!

Abbey Marie
06-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Well, I have to say that Monopoly was one of our family favorites. When I sold the house in California I gave away probably five different versions of Monopoly. My favorite is still the original version and I'm a little peeved about the fact that they're changing some of the tokens.

However, my absolute favorite game of all is Scrabble. People quit playing with me because nobody could beat me so I have a really nice, beautiful game board that never gets used. Now that I live in Tucson some of our neighbors love playing board games. We play a lot of Rummikub and a domino game called chicken foot which is kind of a version of Mexican train. But as far as board games ... I am the champion Chinese checkers, checkers and chess champion in our family.

I truly do suck at Pictionary and charades. I didn't think there would ever be a game that I didn't like playing, however, last weekend I was over at daughters and we were all playing that new sick game called Cards Against Humanity. I think it was developed by nerds sitting in their mother's basement. Truly disgusting but at times could be incredibly funny.

Anyway, Abby, you opened up a can of worms as far as what I love to do. I love game night!

I played Cards Against Humanity at my BIL's once with our generation and our kids together. I found myself laughing despite myself, but it is quite crude. The funny thing is the "kids", all in their 20s, kept thinking I wouldn't get the sexual references. Lol, they really think we are all asexual after 40. I don't plan on playing it again...

I'm terrible at Pictionary too. I cannot draw anything recognizable.

NightTrain
06-05-2017, 11:20 PM
I was introduced to 'Cards Against Humanity' about 2 years ago... yeah, it's pretty graphic but sometimes extremely funny. Definitely not something played with anyone less than 18 within earshot.

My Mom came up to visit last winter, and there was a Girls Night over at my sister's house. I heard my wife and my sis conspiring to play Cards Against Humanity, and I put the kabosh on that idea. Well, I tried to, anyway, but as it turns out, the women in my life do what they want to do!

They took that game over there anyway and my Mom got to learn a few new interesting concepts such as 'fisting'. I was thinking Mom should not be exposed to such things... but as it turns out, she thought it was funny as hell.

SassyLady
06-06-2017, 12:09 AM
I was introduced to 'Cards Against Humanity' about 2 years ago... yeah, it's pretty graphic but sometimes extremely funny. Definitely not something played with anyone less than 18 within earshot.

My Mom came up to visit last winter, and there was a Girls Night over at my sister's house. I heard my wife and my sis conspiring to play Cards Against Humanity, and I put the kabosh on that idea. Well, I tried to, anyway, but as it turns out, the women in my life do what they want to do!

They took that game over there anyway and my Mom got to learn a few new interesting concepts such as 'fisting'. I was thinking Mom should not be exposed to such things... but as it turns out, she thought it was funny as hell.

I played with daughter and 18 year old granddaughter in the group and edible panties came up ... and when I said the strawberry flavored was best I thought my daughter was going to choke but granddaughter was "WOW! Way to go Grammy!"

Abbey Marie
06-06-2017, 08:13 AM
CAH requires a lot of simultaneous drinking...