PDA

View Full Version : Digging For Life

red states rule
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Efforts to save the trapped miners goes on

Initial Attempt to Rescue 6 Trapped Miners in Utah Fails
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

HUNTINGTON, Utah — Teams of rescuers frantically cleared debris from underground tunnels early Tuesday, trying to reach six coal miners trapped by a cave-in beneath more than 1,500 feet of solid rock.

In early morning darkness, workers in hard hats came and went along a road leading to the mine in a forested canyon among mountains.

"Right now I can't say if it's looking any better," said one weary miner, Leland Lobato, as he ended an eight-hour shift. "They're doing what they can to keep everybody as fresh as possible so nobody gets tired."

The trapped miners were believed to have been in a chamber 3.4 miles inside the Crandall Canyon mine. Rescuers were able to reach a point about 1,700 from that point before being blocked by debris.

Crews hope drill rigs can punch holes in the mine to improve ventilation and help them determine if the miners survived the early Monday collapse, said Robert E. Murray, chairman of Murray Energy Corp. of Cleveland, a part owner.

"They could have been struck by material and injured or killed, but we don't know that yet," Murray said.

If they are alive, the miners would have plenty of air because oxygen naturally leaks into the mine, Murray said. The mine also is stocked with drinking water.

If rescuers can open an old mine shaft, they think they can get within 100 feet of where the men were believed to be, Murray said.

The collapse was reported about 4 a.m. Monday and relatives of the miners spent the rest of the day waiting at a senior center for news.

Many of the family members don't speak English, so Huntington Mayor Hilary Gordon hugged them, put her hands over her heart and then clasped them together to let them know she was praying for them, she said.

"Past experience tells us these things don't go very well," said Gordon, whose husband is a former miner.

Outside the senior center, Ariana Sanchez, 16, said her father Manuel Sanchez, 42, was among the trapped miners. She said she cried when her mother told her the news, and declined to say more. No details were available about the other miners.

The mine is built into a mountain in the rugged Manti-La Sal National Forest, 140 miles south of Salt Lake City, in a sparsely populated area.

Federal mine-safety inspectors, who have issued more than 300 citations against the mine since January 2004, were helping oversee the search.

University of Utah seismograph stations recorded seismic waves of 3.9 magnitude early Monday in the area of the mine, causing speculation that a minor earthquake had caused the cave-in. Scientists later said the collapse at the mine had caused the disturbance. But later, they said a natural earthquake could not be ruled out and more information was needed to conclusively determine what happened.

The mine uses a method called "retreat mining," in which pillars of coal are used to hold up an area of the mine's roof. When an area is completely mined, the company pulls the pillar and grabs the useful coal, causing an intentional collapse. Experts say the technique is one of the most dangerous in mining.

The mining company enlisted the help of 200 employees and four rescue crews, and brought in all available equipment from around the state.

A helicopter was expected to help aim a large drill that can burrow in from the top of the mountain. Another drill was to bore horizontally. A conveyor belt was being installed to clear out collapsed material.

Government mine inspectors have issued 325 citations against the mine since January 2004, according to an analysis of federal Mine Safety and Health Administration online records. Of those, 116 were what the government considered "significant and substantial," meaning they are likely to cause injury.

Having 325 safety violations is not unusual, said J. Davitt McAteer, former head of the MSHA and now vice president of Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia. "It's not perfect but it's certainly not bad."

This year, inspectors have issued 32 citations against the mine, 14 of them considered significant. Last month, inspectors cited the mine for violating a rule requiring that at least two separate passageways be designated for escape in an emergency.

It was the third time in less than two years that the mine had been cited for the same problem, according to MSHA records. In 2005, MSHA ordered the mine owners to pay $963 for not having escapeways. The 2006 fine for the same problem was just $60.

Overall, the federal government has ordered the mine owner to pay nearly $152,000 in penalties for its 325 violations, with many citations having no fines calculated yet. Since January, the mine owner has paid $130,678 in fines, according to MSHA records.

Asked about safety, Murray told reporters: "I believe we run a very safe coal mine. We've had an excellent record."

Utah ranked 12th in coal production in 2006. It had 13 underground coal mines in 2005, the most recent statistics available, according to the Utah Geological Survey.

Last summer, Congress tried to make coal mining safer, assessing hefty fines for rule violations and requiring more oxygen to be stored underground. The changes were in response to the Sago mine disaster that killed 12 miners in West Virginia.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292347,00.html

red states rule
08-07-2007, 07:04 AM
BTW - How long before someone on the left blames Pres Bush for this?

red states rule
08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Utah Mine Owner: Three Days to Reach Six Trapped Miners
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

HUNTINGTON, Utah — As teams of rescuers struggled to reach six coal miners trapped by a cave-in more than 1,500 feet below the surface, one of the Utah mine's owners came out on the offensive, insisting an earthquake caused the collapse that trapped the men and it would take three days to reach them.

"I don’t know whether these miners are alive or dead," Robert E. Murray of the Murray Energy Corp. of Cleveland said Tuesday. "Only the Lord knows that."

Murray said that 134 rescue workers had only dug 310 feet toward the trapped miners in the Crandall Canyon mine in a forested canyon during the last 30 hours. He hoped they'd reach the workers chambers in several days.

Progress has been too slow, too slow," he said. "It will take, ladies and gentlemen, three days, if everything goes right, to get to these miners."

Even then, rescuers will have only a 2-inch hole into the chamber through which to communicate with the miners and provide them food or air, he said.

Some of the crews had used only their hands to dig toward the men.

They're "actually in there digging with their hands — with their hands — trying to do whatever they could to get these guys out," Julie Jones, a city councilwoman whose son, Elam, works at the mine, told FOX News.

With no word on whether the six were still alive, crews worked through the night in shifts.

"Right now I can't say if it's looking any better," weary miner Leland Lobato said. "They're doing what they can to keep everybody as fresh as possible so nobody gets tired."

Several other miners emerged with blackened cheeks after an all-night shift.

The trapped miners were believed to have been in a chamber 3.4 miles inside the Crandall Canyon mine. Rescuers were able to reach a point about 1,700 feet from that point before being blocked by debris early Tuesday morning.

Emery County Sheriff Lamar Guymon said at least 100 people were working on the rescue effort Tuesday morning. He said he expected the mine company to begin bulldozing a road needed to bring in a drilling rig.

The rig could punch holes in the mine to improve ventilation and determine if the miners survived, Murray said Monday.

Federal mine-safety inspectors, who have issued more than 300 citations against the mine since January 2004, were helping oversee the search.

If they are alive, the miners would have plenty of air because oxygen naturally leaks into the mine, Murray said. The mine also is stocked with drinking water. If rescuers can open an old mine shaft, they think they can get within 100 feet of where the men were believed to be, Murray said.

Murray lashed out at reporters who had said the mine utilized a method called "retreat mining," in which miners initially leave pillars of coal to hold up an area of the mine's roof. When an area is mined out, the company pulls the pillar and recovers that coal, allowing the roof to collapse. Experts say the technique is one of the most dangerous in mining.

"There are eight solid pillars around where the men are right now and I'm really not going to respond to this retreat mining anymore because it is invented by people who have motives that want to damage Murray Energy, Utah American and the United States coal industry for their own motives," Murray said.

Huntington Mayor Hilary Gordon told FOX News that now is not the time to level blame at anyone.

"It's always great in retrospect to blame somebody or point a finger, but that's not what this is about," she said. "We want to be very, very positive and hoping that the very, very best comes out of this."

Many of the family members don't speak English, so Gordon said she hugged them, put her hands over her heart and then clasped them together to let them know she was praying for them, she said.

"Past experience tells us these things don't go very well," said Gordon, whose husband is a former miner.

The families were moved from a senior center to a local high school Tuesday to protect them from the media.

"At this time when people are anxious and emotions are high, it wasn't a good time to have a lot of pressure put on them," Gordon told FOX News.

Outside the senior center, Ariana Sanchez, 16, said her father, Manuel Sanchez, 42, was among the trapped miners. She said she cried when her mother told her the news, and declined to say more.

Other than Sanchez, little was known about the six miners, but Mexico's consul in Salt Lake City, Salvador Jimenez, said Tuesday that three of the men are Mexican citizens.

Jimenez said, however, that he did not know any details about the men, including whether they are U.S. residents, their ages or hometowns.

The sheriff said 90 percent of the community is tied to coal mining or energy production. "This affects everybody, not just six families," he said.

The mine is built into a mountain in the rugged Manti-La Sal National Forest, 140 miles south of Salt Lake City, in a sparsely populated area.

University of Utah seismograph stations recorded seismic waves of 3.9 magnitude early Monday in the area of the mine, causing speculation that a minor earthquake had caused the cave-in. Scientists later said the collapse at the mine had caused the vibrations. But later, they said a natural earthquake could not be ruled out and more information was needed to conclusively determine what happened.

Government mine inspectors have issued 325 citations against the mine since January 2004, according to an analysis of federal Mine Safety and Health Administration online records. Of those, 116 were what the government considered "significant and substantial," meaning they are likely to cause injury.

Having 325 safety violations is not unusual, said J. Davitt McAteer, former head of the MSHA and now vice president of Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia. "It's not perfect but it's certainly not bad."

This year, inspectors have issued 32 citations against the mine, 14 of them considered significant. Last month, inspectors cited the mine for violating a rule requiring that at least two separate passageways be designated for escape in an emergency.

It was the third time in less than two years that the mine had been cited for the same problem, according to MSHA records. In 2005, MSHA ordered the mine owners to pay $963 for not having such escape routes. The 2006 fine for the same problem was just $60.

Overall, the federal government has ordered the mine owner to pay nearly $152,000 in penalties for its 325 violations, with many citations having no fines calculated yet. Since January, the mine owner has paid $130,678 in fines, according to MSHA records.

Asked about safety, Murray told reporters: "I believe we run a very safe coal mine. We've had an excellent record."

Utah ranked 12th in coal production in 2006. It had 13 underground coal mines in 2005, the most recent statistics available, according to the Utah Geological Survey.

Last summer, Congress tried to make coal mining safer, assessing hefty fines for rule violations and requiring more oxygen to be stored underground. The changes were in response to the Sago mine disaster that killed 12 miners in West Virginia.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292347,00.html

08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
BTW - How long before someone on the left blames Pres Bush for this?

its President Bush's fault because he refuses to support alternative energy supplies.. Never mind the fact that thats false, but its exactly what we will be hearing.

red states rule
08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
its President Bush's fault because he refuses to support alternative energy supplies.. Never mind the fact that thats false, but its exactly what we will be hearing.

or global warming, or his lack of funding for mine imspections

the libs and liberal media will make something up

Hugh Lincoln
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I hate stories like this. It's usually working men without a lot of glamour. You'll never see Hollywood do a movie about them, but they risk their lives to put food on the table. God watch over them.

red states rule
08-08-2007, 04:09 AM
I hate stories like this. It's usually working men without a lot of glamour. You'll never see Hollywood do a movie about them, but they risk their lives to put food on the table. God watch over them.

If there is a way to blame Pres Bush for it - they will make the movie

red states rule
08-11-2007, 04:22 AM
it took a few days, but now the liberal media is blaming Bush...........

CBS Evening News Connects George H.W. Bush to Trapped Miners
By Brent Baker | August 10, 2007 - 21:07 ET
Friday's CBS Evening News managed to link former President George H.W. Bush to the plight of the trapped miners in Utah as correspondent Nancy Cordes used archive video to show how Bush, when Vice President back in 1984, toured an Illinois mine with many safety violations that's owned by the same man who owns the Utah mine. Anchor Katie Couric introduced a story on how the mines owned by Bob Murray of Murray Energy have “been cited over and over for safety violations.” Cordes undermined Couric's implication by relaying how the “Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah has a better-than-average safety rate.” But, she added, over 1984 video of Bush wearing a hard hat as he rode in an underground truck, “the same cannot be said of this Illinois mine owned by the same man, Robert Murray, and toured by then-Vice President Bush senior in 1984. This mine has racked up $1.4 million in proposed fines so far this year.” Cordes noted how new mine safety laws are being phased in, but fretted that “new legislation being considered in Congress that calls for even tougher safety standards has been attacked by the industry.”

However, a Thursday Washington Post profile of Murray reported that “Murray has been at the company's helm since he founded it [Murray Energy] 20 years ago.” That would put the founding in 1987, meaning that in 1984 he didn't own the mine Bush toured.

That front page Washington Post article, “Collapse Is Latest Fight for Coal's Best Friend,” delivered a less than admiring profile of Murray as reporter Alec MacGillis related how “Murray has emerged as one of coal's most ardent defenders against charges that it is driving global warming, arguing on Capitol Hill and in interviews that restricting coal would decimate the U.S. economy.”

Cordes is the same reporter who in May scolded 41's son, President George W. Bush, for not wearing a seatbelt. My May 24 NewsBusters item, “Using Corzine as Peg, CBS Evening News Scolds Bush for Not Wearing a Seatbelt,” recounted:

As if President Bush needed any new actions for which to be criticized by the news media....In a Thursday CBS Evening News story on the federal government's Memorial Day weekend effort to get people to wear seatbelts, reporter Nancy Cordes maintained that President Bush “is taking heat” for not wearing a seatbelt while driving his pick-up truck at his Texas ranch. Cordes began with a new public service announcement (PSA) from New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine who was seriously injured in a high-speed auto accident (“I'm New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine and I should be dead....I have to live with my mistake. You don't. Buckle up.”)

After showing how characters in television shows often don't wear a seatbelt, Cordes turned to Bush: “Corzine's not the only politician taking heat for his habits. The White House press corps wants to know why President Bush won't buckle up when he's tooling around his Texas compound.” But she had to concede, as she led into a clip of White House Press Secretary Tony Snow: “It's not illegal. He's on private property, but still.” As for “taking heat,” that heat came in the very last question posed at Snow's May 22 briefing -- so hardly a priority for any journalist but those at CBS News.

The August 10 CBS Evening News story which aired after reporter John Blackstone, in Huntington, Utah, concluded with how “since 1995 there have been eleven fatalities” in Murray's 19 mines.

ANCHOR KATIE COURIC: Bob Murray's mines have also been cited over and over for safety violations, but does that mean he and other mine owners are actually endangering their workers? Nancy Cordes has that part of the story.

NANCY CORDES: We've heard a lot this week about mines that rack up hundreds of violations. But what does that really mean?

ELLEN SMITH, EDITOR OF MINE SAFETY AND HEALTH NEWS: They don't have guards or they're missing on conveyor belts or on some pieces of equipment where someone could lose a finger or an arm or get their clothing entangled in the equipment.

CORDES: In fact, of the 31 fatalities in U.S. mines in the U.S. so far this year, the majority took place above ground involving equipment that malfunctioned or vehicles that overturned. With 324 violations, Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah has a better-than-average safety rate. But the same cannot be said of this Illinois mine owned by the same man, Robert Murray, and toured by then-Vice President Bush senior in 1984. This mine has racked up $1.4 million in proposed fines so far this year.

SMITH: They had a high number of citations for accumulation of combustible material. That's what makes mine a mine blow up. It's incredibly dangerous.

CORDES: Safety equipment that's commonplace in mines from Canada to Tanzania is rarely used in the U.S.: Things like two-way tracking devices for miners or underground rescue chambers stocked with food, water and oxygen. Laws enacted after the Sago mine disaster will help to change that. They're being phased in through 2009. But new legislation being considered in Congress that calls for even tougher safety standards has been attacked by the industry.

U.S. REP. LYNNE WOOLSEY (D-CA): I don't think they'd say they don't want to keep their workers safe. They want to keep their profits up.

CORDES: Mining is considered one of the most dangerous professions, but mine safety experts say it doesn't have to be this dangerous. Nancy Cordes, CBS News, New York.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2007/08/10/cbs-evening-news-connects-george-h-w-bush-trapped-miners