PDA

View Full Version : "Right turn on red"

Abbey Marie
06-15-2017, 03:24 PM
I am declaring it a complete and utter failure, and a true menace to society. I am fed up.

And if drivers in your state actually use these turns the way they are intended to be used, you are very fortunate. And I may have to move there.

:mad:

Dis
06-15-2017, 03:29 PM
I am declaring it a complete and utter failure, and a true menace to society. I am fed up.

And if drivers in your state actually use these turns the way they are intended to be used, you are very fortunate. And I may have to move there.

Careful what you wish for.. People that don't know how to use a roundabout are far more of a menace (and deadly) than people that don't know how/when to turn right on red.

Abbey Marie
06-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Careful what you wish for.. People that don't know how to use a roundabout are far more of a menace (and deadly) than people that don't know how/when to turn right on red.

You cannot have both where you live? We have very few circles here in Delaware, but RTOR is everywhere.

Dis
06-15-2017, 03:38 PM
You cannot have both where you live? We have very few circles here in Delaware, but RTOR is everywhere.

RTOR is almost everywhere here, with few exceptions (in school zones, during school hours, for one). I will go out of my way to avoid roundabouts because I'm convinced I will die in one because people stop and brake all the way through them.

Abbey Marie
06-15-2017, 04:22 PM
RTOR is almost everywhere here, with few exceptions (in school zones, during school hours, for one). I will go out of my way to avoid roundabouts because I'm convinced I will die in one because people stop and brake all the way through them.

The worst was riding a scooter in roundabouts in Bermuda. That Brit "left side of the road" driving confused the heck out of me in the middle of the circle.

darin
06-16-2017, 12:17 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-06-2015/E5N84F.gif

Roudabouts here are smooth and orderly. In michigan the couple we had generally caused people to have aneurysms.

Dis
06-16-2017, 12:31 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-06-2015/E5N84F.gif

Roudabouts here are smooth and orderly. In michigan the couple we had generally caused people to have aneurysms.

There is nothing smooth and orderly about the state of Illinois. It's full of psychotic whackadoo nut jobs that drive like psychotic whackadoo nut jobs.

Abbey Marie
06-16-2017, 09:06 AM
If y'all aren't mad about how people abuse RTOR, I suspect you are part of the problem. :p

NightTrain
06-16-2017, 09:22 AM
There's not much of a problem with Right Turn On Red here, most everyone knows you can (and should, in the interest of keeping things moving)... there's a couple here and there that'll just sit there, though, which raises my blood pressure a bit when I'm behind them.

The really big problem that 50% of the drivers around here don't understand is the Left Turn On Red to a one-way street. Seems about half of the knuckleheads will sit there waiting for the light.

Surprisingly, roundabouts have been a pretty smooth transition since implementation about 15 years ago. They really do speed things up and alleviate bottlenecks at notorious intersections... much superior to traffic lights.

Kathianne
06-16-2017, 11:52 AM
There is nothing smooth and orderly about the state of Illinois. It's full of psychotic whackadoo nut jobs that drive like psychotic whackadoo nut jobs.
That's what I thought, until moving to AZ. ;)

Gunny
06-16-2017, 07:56 PM
The worst was riding a scooter in roundabouts in Bermuda. That Brit "left side of the road" driving confused the heck out of me in the middle of the circle.I was going to mention that. They drive on the left in Okinawa as well. It's a trip. Don't recall any roundabouts tjere though.

But try coming back to the states after a year of turning left into the immediate left lane and guess what you do HERE the first couple of times? I'm sitting under the underpass wondering "Now why the Hell is the signal way the Hell over THERE?":laugh:

Gunny
06-16-2017, 07:57 PM
If y'all aren't mad about how people abuse ROTR, I suspect you are part of the problem. :pI haven't figured out what's to be mad about. How can you screw up right turn on red?

Kathianne
06-16-2017, 08:01 PM
I haven't figured out what's to be mad about. How can you screw up right turn on red?

Folks that think it means they don't have to stop and turn in front of ongoing traffic.

Gunny
06-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Folks that think it means they don't have to stop and turn in front of ongoing traffic.Oh. I wouldn't limit that to right turn on red. I always like the right exit from the left lane 3 lanes over. Or getting in the left lane and slowing down and speeding up while texting.

I wonder what the ratio is between rude drivers and just stupid one?

aboutime
06-16-2017, 08:34 PM
There was a time when I used to love driving. Not anymore.

I am finally convinced, as my father often said back in the 70's...Today's drivers across this country either got their license in SEARS, or PEP BOYS.

Why does anyone need to OBEY any driving laws anymore? Most of the newer cars almost drive themselves, and even park without the driver touching the wheel.
Otherwise....EVERY STREET, HIGHWAY, and PARKING LOT becomes a place where you literally take your life into your hands...fearing the car next to you, in front of you, behind you has a driver who is either TEXTING, or SHOULDN'T BE ON THE ROAD.

Elessar
06-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Folks that think it means they don't have to stop and turn in front of ongoing traffic.

That is closely related to those that think STOP on an octagonal red sign means:

Slip
Through
Only
Pause.:laugh:

Abbey Marie
06-17-2017, 03:45 PM
I haven't figured out what's to be mad about. How can you screw up right turn on red?

Kath said it. You can't drive anywhere now and trust that you can just keep going through a green light. People come up to red lights at full speed and turn right in front of you. They seem to think that RTOR = right of way.

This already has me really ticked. When they do it, and after cutting you off, drive slowly, ​then my "driving words" really come out.

michiganFats
08-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Any rules of the road are just suggestions really. I love RTOR because I have places to go, people to see, things to do.

revelarts
08-23-2017, 04:46 PM
according to Carlin
anyone not driving like you do is an idiot or a maniac
:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

High_Plains_Drifter
08-23-2017, 05:48 PM
That's what I thought, until moving to AZ. ;)
What I hated when I lived in AZ was the people that found it sport to see who could be the last one through a light that had already turned red.

Kathianne
08-23-2017, 06:19 PM
What I hated when I lived in AZ was the people that found it sport to see who could be the last one through a light that had already turned red.

I've not found too much of that, maybe it's the laid back Northern area I live in. LOL!

High_Plains_Drifter
08-23-2017, 06:26 PM
I've not found too much of that, maybe it's the laid back Northern area I live in. LOL!
Seemed to be an epidemic in all of Phoenix far as I saw. You live in "Snottsdale?" I lived in Deer Valley while going to MMI for a year and a half, and it was the same there.

Course a traffic jam to me out here in Podunk, WI is more than three cars at a stop sign... ;)

There's not a stop light to be seen around here and I love it that way.

Kathianne
08-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Seemed to be an epidemic in all of Phoenix far as I saw. You live in "Snottsdale?" I lived in Deer Valley while going to MMI for a year and a half, and it was the same there.

Course a traffic jam to me out here in Podunk, WI is more than three cars at a stop sign... ;)

There's not a stop light to be seen around here and I love it that way.

Nope, I live in Cottonwood and work in Sedona. 'Northern AZ,' not in 'the valley' at all.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Nope, I live in Cottonwood and work in Sedona. 'Northern AZ,' not in 'the valley' at all.
Pretty up there. I like Flagstaff, Payson too. But those towns seem so remote.

Kathianne
08-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Pretty up there. I like Flagstaff, Payson too. But those towns seem so remote.

Compared to where you're living?

High_Plains_Drifter
08-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Compared to where you're living?
Yes... I mean there's a town every 8 or 10 miles around here with farms and homes in between. Up north there in AZ a town just crops out of nowhere with not another town for 50 miles, more in some places.

Gunny
08-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Yes... I mean there's a town every 8 or 10 miles around here with farms and homes in between. Up north there in AZ a town just crops out of nowhere with not another town for 50 miles, more in some places.Desert towns usually pop up where there's water. Twentynine Palms CA would be one such. Middle of nowhere. Why they gave it to the Marine Corps. Who cares if we're blowing up everything around us so long as we're isolated nowhere? :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
08-24-2017, 06:30 AM

the person who thought those up should be burned at the stake......

darin
08-24-2017, 07:08 AM
the person who thought those up should be burned at the stake......

I take it you don't like efficient traffic flow?

https://www.wimp.com/mythbusters-test-a-four-way-stop-vs-a-roundabout/

and

Traffic Circles:

Studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections.

Roundabouts reduced injury crashes by 75 percent at intersections where stop signs or signals were previously used for traffic control, according to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Studies by the IIHS and Federal Highway Administration have shown that roundabouts typically achieve:

A 37 percent reduction in overall collisions
A 75 percent reduction in injury collisions
A 90 percent reduction in fatality collisions
A 40 percent reduction in pedestrian collisions

Contrary to many peoples' perceptions, roundabouts actually move traffic through an intersection more quickly, and with less congestion on approaching roads. Roundabouts promote a continuous flow of traffic. Unlike intersections with traffic signals, drivers don’t have to wait for a green light at a roundabout to get through the intersection. Traffic is not required to stop – only yield – so the intersection can handle more traffic in the same amount of time.

Studies by Kansas State University http://www.ksu.edu/roundabouts/ measured traffic flow at intersections before and after conversion to roundabouts. In each case, installing a roundabout led to a 20 percent reduction in delays. Additional studies by the IIHS of intersections in three states, including Washington, found that roundabouts contributed to an 89 percent reduction in delays and 56 percent reduction in vehicle stops.

Abbey Marie
08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Saw these for the first time the last weekend: stop lights at the entrance to the highway. Two lanes entering, each with its own alternating red light. Weird. So people are incapable of merging onto a highway now?

michiganFats
08-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Saw these for the first time the last weekend: stop lights at the entrance to the highway. Two lanes entering, each with its own alternating red light. Weird. So people are incapable of merging onto a highway now?

We used to have those in Detroit when I was a kid. I always thought those were dangerous.

darin
08-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Ever drive the circle at 18 1/2 and Van Dyke near Utica? I've seen so many near-deaths there...not the circle's fault.

michiganFats
08-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Ever drive the circle at 18 1/2 and Van Dyke near Utica? I've seen so many near-deaths there...not the circle's fault.

No, I don't get up that way much but there are some in West Bloomfield that are pretty dangerous, also out near Milford and Brighton. My brother lives out that way and I really don't like those roundabouts.

Said1
08-24-2017, 01:19 PM
No right on a red....that's how divide the French from the English. :laugh2:

michiganFats
08-24-2017, 01:22 PM
No right on a red....that's how divide the French from the English. :laugh2:

You had trouble in Quebec eh?

Said1
08-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Non.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Every time I have no choice and have to go the VA west clinic for my mandatory 6 month check up, I tell them I want the appointment for as close to 11:00AM as possible, that way I can get into and out of Madison without hitting either the morning or afternoon rush hour traffic. The most beautiful sight to me about a city is seeing it in the rear view mirror.