PDA

View Full Version : US Shoots Down Iranian Drone In Syria

Kathianne
06-20-2017, 09:01 AM
The battle over control is underway.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/20/us-shoots-down-iranian-drone-in-syria.html

jimnyc
06-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Oh boy. Not good. I wonder specifically what the drone was up to? I'll have to go search now and see what the reasoning was behind this.

Syria is quite the clusterfuck right now. I want to see ISIS get bombed into oblivion, and I don't care if it's Syrian forces, Russian, US or whomever. But I don't want to see WW3 as a result.

It should be trying to destroy ISIS - and of course defending ourselves and our partners on the ground. We should only have to be defending from ISIS, not Iran or Syria. But again, I don't want war either, whether we are right or wrong.

Just found this. I must have been MIA earlier, as it states this is the 2nd one this month. As for today, just says that our military thought it was a threat.

--

US fighter jet reportedly shoots down armed Iranian drone over Syria

A U.S. fighter jet shot down an Iranian drone in southeastern Syria on Monday, according to a report.

The drone was shot down by a U.S. F-15 near Al-Tanf, Syria, where the U.S. is training local fighters to combat the Islamic State, and where the U.S. has already fired on pro-Assad regime military this month and in May. The military believed the armed drone was a threat to U.S. forces, CNN reported.

A U.S. fighter jet shot down an Iranian drone in southeastern Syria on Monday, according to a report.

The drone was shot down by a U.S. F-15 near Al-Tanf, Syria, where the U.S. is training local fighters to combat the Islamic State, and where the U.S. has already fired on pro-Assad regime military this month and in May. The military believed the armed drone was a threat to U.S. forces, CNN reported.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/us-fighter-jet-reportedly-shoots-down-armed-iranian-drone-over-syria/article/2626476

Kathianne
06-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Syria is Iran's desire to control once ISIS is contained. Iran, Syria, Russia are in this together. None of this is in US interests. Here we are, fighting with our enemies, hoping that there will be a good outcome cause of Arthasastra. Sometimes there's no choice, as when it was necessary to ally with USSR in WWII. I'm not sure this is one of those.

jimnyc
06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Syria is Iran's desire to control once ISIS is contained. Iran, Syria, Russia are in this together. None of this is in US interests. Here we are, fighting with our enemies, hoping that there will be a good outcome cause of Arthasastra. Sometimes there's no choice, as when it was necessary to ally with USSR in WWII. I'm not sure this is one of those.

I think our interest is in destroying ISIS. I believed that before and still do. But obviously that was before so much other involvement. For me I would still defer to the generals on the ground. My first instinct is to not give up the mission, not give up the fight against ISIS. My second instinct is - if we left, are any remaining forces over there going to concentrate on ISIS? It would be nice if everyone over there worked together as far as ISIS is concerned at least.

Kathianne
06-20-2017, 10:48 AM
I think our interest is in destroying ISIS. I believed that before and still do. But obviously that was before so much other involvement. For me I would still defer to the generals on the ground. My first instinct is to not give up the mission, not give up the fight against ISIS. My second instinct is - if we left, are any remaining forces over there going to concentrate on ISIS? It would be nice if everyone over there worked together as far as ISIS is concerned at least.

I don't think we actually need Russia, Iran, and obviously Syria is not an ally. The Kurds? Yes, they only want independence, which brings up the other big ally that isn't, Turkey.

While the blame for this mess rests with Obama, it is Trump's problem now and ours.

Kathianne
06-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Oh boy. Not good. I wonder specifically what the drone was up to? I'll have to go search now and see what the reasoning was behind this.

Syria is quite the clusterfuck right now. I want to see ISIS get bombed into oblivion, and I don't care if it's Syrian forces, Russian, US or whomever. But I don't want to see WW3 as a result.

It should be trying to destroy ISIS - and of course defending ourselves and our partners on the ground. We should only have to be defending from ISIS, not Iran or Syria. But again, I don't want war either, whether we are right or wrong.

Just found this. I must have been MIA earlier, as it states this is the 2nd one this month. As for today, just says that our military thought it was a threat.

--

US fighter jet reportedly shoots down armed Iranian drone over Syria

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/us-fighter-jet-reportedly-shoots-down-armed-iranian-drone-over-syria/article/2626476

A bit more on the 'why':

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/20/breaking-us-shoots-down-iranian-drone-in-syria.html

A U.S. aircraft shot down an armed Iranian drone advancing on coalition forces in southern Syria on Tuesday, Fox News confirmed.

The armed pro-regime Shaheed-129 UAV was shot down by a U.S. F-15E Strike Eagle about 12:30 a.m. after it displayed hostile intent and advanced on Coalition forces. This is the second the U.S. shot down an Iranian drone in less than a month.

The coalition forces were manning an established combat outpost to the northeast of At Tanf where they are training and advising partner ground forces in the fight against ISIS. This is the same location where another pro-regime UAV dropped munitions near Coalition forces before it was shot down on June 8.

The F-15E intercepted the armed UAV after it was observed advancing on the coalition position. The armed UAV was shot down when it continued to advance on the coalition's position without diverting its course.