PDA

View Full Version : Going to Alaska!!

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Finally, gonna meet my friend Rick after knowing him since what, 2002 or so? Heading up there this Sunday. Damn, the flight will be a nightmare though. Sounds like it'll leave from Laguardia, then land in Dallas. Then from there to Alaska. About 8 hours or so from one end to the other.

But then about 7 days or so of heaven for me! Alaska, fishing, king salmon, beer, the great outdoors, cruising on the boat, chilling on the waterfront looking for some eagles and bears!! LOL

I'll be packed and ready to go in about an hour, too excited!! :thumb::laugh2:

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Finally, gonna meet my friend Rick after knowing him since what, 2002 or so? Heading up there this Sunday. Damn, the flight will be a nightmare though. Sounds like it'll leave from Laguardia, then land in Dallas. Then from there to Alaska. About 8 hours or so from one end to the other.

But then about 7 days or so of heaven for me! Alaska, fishing, king salmon, beer, the great outdoors, cruising on the boat, chilling on the waterfront looking for some eagles and bears!! LOL

That is so awesome! You pick the shots, let Rick take them! :laugh2: I'm sooooo jealous!

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 12:47 PM
I'll be sure to stock up on some nice thick-sliced bacon to drop him off on a gravel bar with.

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 12:57 PM
The travel part will require much drugs and alcohol!

I leave NY at about 8am and arrive at Alaska at 6:40pm Alaska time. I'm too dumb to figure out how many hours that is all told, with the time difference in effect.

And on the return trip, I leave Alaska at 8:40pm, and arrive in NY at 2:59pm!! LOL

Each way has about a 4 hour layover in Dallas before the connecting flights leave. My lazy ass should be able to make it to the next gate in time at least! :)

Gunny - how far off are you from the Dallas/Forth Worth airport? Doesn't matter anyway, how about you get your cue balled head out there and I'll buy you lunch? This Sunday I will be arriving at Dallas at 10:35am and the flight don't leave until 2:50pm.

gabosaurus - you in town? Maybe you, hubby and Danielle swing by and I buy you lunch?

Anyone else in Texas? Don't leave me alone for 4 hours, I'll be too lonely!!

How big is the airport there, who knows? Will I at least be able to roam and have shit to do? Thankfully I don't smoke anymore!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2017, 01:01 PM

WHEN NOT IN THE TOWN, YOU HAD BETTER KEEP RICK AND HIS BEAR RIFLE CLOSE BY.
I HEAR THOSE HUNGRY BEARS, LIKE YANKEE STEAK AND BIG CITY YANKEEEEEEEEE MEAT BEST OF ALL.
Alaskan bears are big , hungry and on the prowl for easy food Jim.
You would look like an easy snack....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 01:05 PM
WHEN NOT IN THE TOWN, YOU HAD BETTER KEEP RICK AND HIS BEAR RIFLE CLOSE BY.
I HEAR THOSE HUNGRY BEARS, LIKE YANKEE STEAK AND BIG CITY YANKEEEEEEEEE MEAT BEST OF ALL.
Alaskan bears are big , hungry and on the prowl for easy food Jim.
You would look like an easy snack....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

I already told Rick, if within 50 yards of any type of woods, he MUST pass me a large firearm to protect myself from spiders!!! And hell, I suppose it may be handy should a bear pop out as well. :laugh:

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Remember there's a 4 hour time difference from NY to AK, so the time is deceiving at first glance.

Dallas - Fort Worth is a big airport, and it's pretty nice... I've been through there a few times. Check out that huge bronze bull they have in the lobby, it's pretty cool.

Yeah, the 4 hour layover sucks... but you and Gunny could hang out in a restaurant there and do lunch. Maybe we can send you back with some fresh Salmon for him on the return leg.

And he could finally beat you with his cane for realsies this time.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2017, 01:11 PM
I already told Rick, if within 50 yards of any type of woods, he MUST pass me a large firearm to protect myself from spiders!!! And hell, I suppose it may be handy should a bear pop out as well. :laugh:

YOU SWAT SPIDERS WITH A STICK JIM BUT BIG BEAR GUNS YOU HAD BEST KNOW HOW TO SHOOT ACCURATELY OR ELSE BECOME A HAMBURGER FEAST FOR THE CHARGING BEAST.
And Alaskan bears aint easy to kill. they be tuff muthers! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

However, have fun my friend..
Rick will shoot the bear if it tries to eat you and you guys can have bear steaks and beer after the little episode.
That is aftrrrrrr ya change pants,,... -- :laugh::laugh:-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Remember there's a 4 hour time difference from NY to AK, so the time is deceiving at first glance.

Dallas - Fort Worth is a big airport, and it's pretty nice... I've been through there a few times. Check out that huge bronze bull they have in the lobby, it's pretty cool.

Yeah, the 4 hour layover sucks... but you and Gunny could hang out in a restaurant there and do lunch. Maybe we can send you back with some fresh Salmon for him on the return leg.

I am officially asking gunny to tag him one for me!
Just a friend kick to wake him up, methinks... ;)

Crap, would dearly love to meet you guys , do some hunting and get drunk,including gunny too ..
Hell, the four us would surely get into some kind of bad trouble methinks.. --Tyr

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:18 PM
I am officially asking gunny to tag him one for me!
Just a friend kick to wake him up, methinks... ;)

Crap, would dearly love to meet you guys , do some hunting and get drunk,including gunny too ..
Hell, the four us would surely get into some kind of bad trouble methinks.. --Tyr

Tickets are cheap right now, Tyr, hop a plane! The more the merrier and I've got an unusual 2 weeks off right now.

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 01:20 PM

So leaving at 8am and arriving at 6:40pm, which would be 2:40 here, right? So 6 1/2 hours getting there? Or am I doing the math wrong again? LOL

The way back will be leaving 8:40pm, which would be 4:40pm here. Arriving at 3pm here. Is there a way of making the return trip sound better? I'm afraid to do the math on this one, and likely getting it wrong!

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Tickets are cheap right now, Tyr, hop a plane! The more the merrier and I've got an unusual 2 weeks off right now.

Today has cooled off some, only going to 103. Being slightly masochistic, what is the temp there now? It's 93 at 11:30am here. ;)

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 01:24 PM
YOU SWAT SPIDERS WITH A STICK JIM BUT BIG BEAR GUNS YOU HAD BEST KNOW HOW TO SHOOT ACCURATELY OR ELSE BECOME A HAMBURGER FEAST FOR THE CHARGING BEAST.
And Alaskan bears aint easy to kill. they be tuff muthers! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

However, have fun my friend..
Rick will shoot the bear if it tries to eat you and you guys can have bear steaks and beer after the little episode.
That is aftrrrrrr ya change pants,,... -- :laugh::laugh:-Tyr

Don't underestimate those little fuckers!! Sometimes swatting them backfires. Either he may outsmart you and land on you, or EVEN IF YOU WIN, this may happen, and now you've just unleashed holy hell on this earth!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rorJCGF1aM

Or, you just may be trying to relax and just eat a piece of fruit!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5lgCKt5YQ

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Today has cooled off some, only going to 103. Being slightly masochistic, what is the temp there now? It's 93 at 11:30am here. ;)

Pretty cool today, it's about 60 here at my house right now.

93 would make me uncomfortable if I were doing anything.

jimnyc

ACK! 103? Yikes!

Good question, Rick - what are the temps like there now during day? And at the cabin at night?

Kathianne
Don't underestimate those little fuckers!! Sometimes swatting them backfires. Either he may outsmart you and land on you, or EVEN IF YOU WIN, this may happen, and now you've just unleashed holy hell on this earth!!

Or, you just may be trying to relax and just eat a piece of fruit!!

Gee Jim, thanks a bunch! (Pun intended).

Now when do you leave? And return? Did you grab that United Flight Rick wrote about?

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:27 PM
So leaving at 8am and arriving at 6:40pm, which would be 2:40 here, right? So 6 1/2 hours getting there? Or am I doing the math wrong again? LOL

The way back will be leaving 8:40pm, which would be 4:40pm here. Arriving at 3pm here. Is there a way of making the return trip sound better? I'm afraid to do the math on this one, and likely getting it wrong!

Itinerary says 10.5 hours total flying up, 10 hours flying down - that's including the layover times, so yeah... about 6 hours actually in the air.

You're lucky, last time I flew in to DFW it took us 14 hours! However, we were all on overtime and getting drunk on the plane, so other than the No Smoking thing it wasn't bad.

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Pretty cool today, it's about 60 here at my house right now.

93 would make me uncomfortable if I were doing anything.

Honestly, 93 isn't bad here and I'd not have said that in IL. Give it a couple more degrees though...Yuk! Too hot to be outside. Right now I can walk, with sunscreen on. ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Sure wish I could, but family duties forbid..
Maybe someday, as I have always wanted to go to Alaska and Australia.
Darling wife commands that we go stay for a month in the Philippines(Cebu City, Cebu ISLAND) and visit her family.
YOU GUYS HAVE FUN AND TRY TO KEEP JIM FROM BECOMING BEAR FOOD OR "SKUNK SPRAYED".. ;)-TYR

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Honestly, 93 isn't bad here and I'd not have said that in IL. Give it a couple more degrees though...Yuk! Too hot to be outside. Right now I can walk, with sunscreen on. ;)

Yeah, midwest temps are a different animal altogether. It's dry here, probably not nearly as dry as AZ but lack of overwhelming humidity makes a big difference in comfort levels for sure.

NightTrain
06-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Sure wish I could, but family duties forbid..
Maybe someday, as I have always wanted to go to Alaska and Australia.
Darling wife commands that we go stay for a month in the Philippines(Cebu City, Cebu ISLAND) and visit her family.
YOU GUYS HAVE FUN AND TRY TO KEEP JIM FROM BECOMING BEAR FOOD OR "SKUNK SPRAYED".. ;)-TYR

No skunks here, but Gunny already asked me if I will get Jim's untimely demise recorded in HD when he attempts to play Matador to a charging Grizzly with his pack of bacon on the gravel bar.

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Gee Jim, thanks a bunch! (Pun intended).

Now when do you leave? And return? Did you grab that United Flight Rick wrote about?

Leaving thus Sunday the 2nd and arriving back home on the 11th, even though I'm actually leaving Alaska on the 10th!! LOL Gonna be a long flight!!

Itinerary says 10.5 hours total flying up, 10 hours flying down - that's including the layover times, so yeah... about 6 hours actually in the air.

You're lucky, last time I flew in to DFW it took us 14 hours! However, we were all on overtime and getting drunk on the plane, so other than the No Smoking thing it wasn't bad.

Ok, so I was looking at it the right way. I'll be all hyped up on coffee and maybe watch a few movies on the way there on my Ipad, then gobble some xanax like they are chiclets going out of style and pass out until I arrive. :2up:

Nah, it'll be cool the way there, be too damn excited and will enjoy the hell out of all of it. Now the way back is different, I really may just keep gobbling medicine so that I can sleep as much as possible. I think the longest I was ever in the air before was a direct flight from Kennedy to Cali.

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Jim, you're going to have a wonderful time! You got to tell us all about it. Rick does such a great job with the pics, but you are one of us from the bottom 48! So happy for you!

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Jim, you're going to have a wonderful time! You got to tell us all about it. Rick does such a great job with the pics, but you are one of us from the bottom 48! So happy for you!

Oh man, replied to a few threads, then saw this one, I forgot I was heading to Alaska for like 5 minutes there. It's like learning the great news all over again! Sweet!! :coffee:

I'll get a ton of pics as well, but I always forget to pull out the phone at the right times. But since I'll be there, I'll have it at the ready at all times!!

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 02:25 PM
I hate checking in bags, so I don't do it. I couldn't care less about any fees, I just don't want to wait at the shitty carousel upon arrival, just after sitting still for so dang long.

So I need to find like a 10 foot long duffle bag. :) I know, I know, don't say it.

How many cases of beer are you allowed to store in the overhead compartments? I know, I know, don't say it.

But I really do need to squish everything, and then sit on it and zipper it shut, to make sure I don't have to visit that carousel!!

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I hate checking in bags, so I don't do it. I couldn't care less about any fees, I just don't want to wait at the shitty carousel upon arrival, just after sitting still for so dang long.

So I need to find like a 10 foot long duffle bag. :) I know, I know, don't say it.

How many cases of beer are you allowed to store in the overhead compartments? I know, I know, don't say it.

But I really do need to squish everything, and then sit on it and zipper it shut, to make sure I don't have to visit that carousel!!

Check with the airline, if that low fare is 'basic' you may not be allowed a carry on, you don't want to get caught up with that at the gate. The 'basic' thing is quite new, I've been reading up on it because of how often I am flying now.

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Check with the airline, if that low fare is 'basic' you may not be allowed a carry on, you don't want to get caught up with that at the gate. The 'basic' thing is quite new, I've been reading up on it because of how often I am flying now.

Oh no, don't make me nervous, I get enough anxiety!!

Worst case though, is that I have to check in and/or pay for it, right?

Kathianne
06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Oh no, don't make me nervous, I get enough anxiety!!

Worst case though, is that I have to check in and/or pay for it, right?

My understanding is you can't 'pay' at the gate, so you'd have to go all the way back to check-in, pay for bag-Usually about $25, go through security again, back to gate. You said Kennedy, right? Long run.

hjmick
06-27-2017, 04:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4EbqEIeIZM

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 04:47 PM
My understanding is you can't 'pay' at the gate, so you'd have to go all the way back to check-in, pay for bag-Usually about $25, go through security again, back to gate. You said Kennedy, right? Long run.

I'll stuff as much as I can into my smaller suitcase. It's more durable than a bag and can withstand me standing on it while I zip it shut! Then I'll check with the folks out at the incoming counters if my size is acceptable or not. If I have to check it, that's cool, but my ass ain't going through security twice, I'll miss the plane!! I'll be sure to be extra early for my already enormously long flight. :)

hjmick
06-27-2017, 05:21 PM
I'll stuff as much as I can into my smaller suitcase. It's more durable than a bag and can withstand me standing on it while I zip it shut! Then I'll check with the folks out at the incoming counters if my size is acceptable or not. If I have to check it, that's cool, but my ass ain't going through security twice, I'll miss the plane!! I'll be sure to be extra early for my already enormously long flight. :)

Just pack what you want to take in a box, UPS it to NT's place, and do the same going back with your dirty clothes. No carry on, no fuss...

jimnyc
06-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Just pack what you want to take in a box, UPS it to NT's place, and do the same going back with your dirty clothes. No carry on, no fuss...

Hmmmm... Interesting...

KarlMarx
06-27-2017, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

Well... it's not Alaska but it's close :)

Gunny
06-27-2017, 09:32 PM
The travel part will require much drugs and alcohol!

I leave NY at about 8am and arrive at Alaska at 6:40pm Alaska time. I'm too dumb to figure out how many hours that is all told, with the time difference in effect.

And on the return trip, I leave Alaska at 8:40pm, and arrive in NY at 2:59pm!! LOL

Each way has about a 4 hour layover in Dallas before the connecting flights leave. My lazy ass should be able to make it to the next gate in time at least! :)

@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) - how far off are you from the Dallas/Forth Worth airport? Doesn't matter anyway, how about you get your cue balled head out there and I'll buy you lunch? This Sunday I will be arriving at Dallas at 10:35am and the flight don't leave until 2:50pm.

@gabosaurus (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=111) - you in town? Maybe you, hubby and Danielle swing by and I buy you lunch?

Anyone else in Texas? Don't leave me alone for 4 hours, I'll be too lonely!!

How big is the airport there, who knows? Will I at least be able to roam and have shit to do? Thankfully I don't smoke anymore!!Dude, Dallas is a 5 hour drive from here.

Abbey Marie
06-27-2017, 11:03 PM
I am so jealous i hate you all right now.

darin
06-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Isnt it illegal for you two to be in the same place in case of national forum emergency?

Next month, all you fockers come visit ME! :)

Kathianne
06-28-2017, 05:11 AM
Dude, Dallas is a 5 hour drive from here.

That's not bad, I'd do that. Drive, coffee, drive, breakfast, drive, be there. ;)

NightTrain
06-28-2017, 06:23 AM

A whole 5 hours? Poor little fella.

It takes 6 hours to drive out of my borough (county to you flatlanders) and we do that on a lark.

Get to DFW on the 2nd before I dispatch CSM to make you do push-ups until you renounce those snowflake tendencies.

darin
06-28-2017, 07:12 AM
In Five hours I think I could drive through five countries. Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and The Netherlands

pete311
06-28-2017, 07:57 AM

Careful, we may not let you back in the country. ;)

Abbey Marie
06-28-2017, 07:58 AM
That's not bad, I'd do that. Drive, coffee, drive, breakfast, drive, be there. ;)

You forgot coffee, bathroom, coffee, coffee and coffee.

Kathianne
06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
You forgot coffee, bathroom, coffee, coffee and coffee.

I always travel with a thermal carafe! LOL!

Abbey Marie
06-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Kath, I knew that you would!

:coffee:

Gunny
06-28-2017, 04:01 PM
That's not bad, I'd do that. Drive, coffee, drive, breakfast, drive, be there. ;)I35 is construction from about Austin all the way to Dallas. So you'd drive, sit in line, drive, sit in line, ad nauseum.

I'm kind of laughing at Jimbob anyway. From NY to AK via DFW:laugh:. Must have bought one of those "sweet" deals on the internet.

Gunny
06-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Kath, I knew that you would!

:coffee:Who doesn't? Mine's called a "Thermos" though, not by some girly name. :)

jimnyc
06-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Oh hell, yeah that's too far away. I forget at times just how massive Texas is. I wouldn't drive more than a couple of hours either, as ya also got the return trip.

Ain't you have any Marines connections? Get someone to give you a ride there on a Black Hawk or similar? :)

jimnyc
06-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Careful, we may not let you back in the country. ;)

I'm pretty sure that Dallas and Alaska are still in the United States!! Although the flight very well may fly over Canada. I think it might fly over Wisconsin as well, and I hope they empty the frozen toilet stuff in your yard. :2up:

jimnyc
06-28-2017, 04:33 PM

I have a flip top thermos. What's the best I can do, get a couple of coffees after I go through security to fill it? Will they make me empty it, or take it away, if it's already got hot coffee in it when I hit the security line?

Kathianne
06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I have a flip top thermos. What's the best I can do, get a couple of coffees after I go through security to fill it? Will they make me empty it, or take it away, if it's already got hot coffee in it when I hit the security line?

I've never tried to take it on a plane, I don't know. I leave mine in the car when I get to the airport, it's the one time I'll buy pricey coffee. ;) My guess is your thermos would end up in the trash.

Kathianne
06-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Oh hell, yeah that's too far away. I forget at times just how massive Texas is. I wouldn't drive more than a couple of hours either, as ya also got the return trip.

Ain't you have any Marines connections? Get someone to give you a ride there on a Black Hawk or similar? :)

It's over 15 hours from here, 5 I'd drive. LOL!

jimnyc
06-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I've never tried to take it on a plane, I don't know. I leave mine in the car when I get to the airport, it's the one time I'll buy pricey coffee. ;) My guess is your thermos would end up in the trash.

Laguardia sucked the last time I took a flight out of there. Like only one crappy place to get a coffee after security. Would be nice to have a few mugs of D&D or similar for the first leg of the flight. Maybe they've grown, it has been awhile.

It's over 15 hours from here, 5 I'd drive. LOL!

Hell, 15 hours, that's a 2 day drive for me! :laugh:

Gunny
06-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Ain't you have any Marines connections? Get someone to give you a ride there on a Black Hawk or similar? :)There's a war on? Space on AMC flights is at a premium, and even if I could bump some active duty type catching a hop home on leave, I wouldn't.

I got bumped at AFB on Guam for a dead body. Do you know what's on Guam? Anderson AFB. I think the USS Ronald Reagan is as big as that freakin' rock.:laugh:

Kathianne
06-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Laguardia sucked the last time I took a flight out of there. Like only one crappy place to get a coffee after security. Would be nice to have a few mugs of D&D or similar for the first leg of the flight. Maybe they've grown, it has been awhile.

Hell, 15 hours, that's a 2 day drive for me! :laugh:

LOL! Lest you forget, I got from Chicago to AZ with only 2 hotel nights. Still got to Sedona by 2 pm. I love to drive. But, not 15 hours to visit for a couple. ;)

jimnyc
06-29-2017, 05:01 PM
This will be a big adjustment for me for the short time I'll be there...

It appears that sundown is about 11:40pmish or so!! And then sun-up is about 4:30.

Already got my silk eye mask packed and ready to go! I have that little sucker for when I have a bad migraine, and for when I visit Rick in Alaska apparently!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but gonna be funny since I never experienced that before. Probably gonna fuck up my sleep. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do more fishing when I can't sleep.

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/fish/smileys-fish-430558.gif

Abbey Marie
06-29-2017, 06:16 PM
This will be a big adjustment for me for the short time I'll be there...

It appears that sundown is about 11:40pmish or so!! And then sun-up is about 4:30.

Already got my silk eye mask packed and ready to go! I have that little sucker for when I have a bad migraine, and for when I visit Rick in Alaska apparently!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but gonna be funny since I never experienced that before. Probably gonna fuck up my sleep. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do more fishing when I can't sleep.

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/fish/smileys-fish-430558.gif

Rick will have you hiking and running from bears so much, you'll have no trouble going right to sleep.

NightTrain
06-29-2017, 07:45 PM
It's light out 24/7 right now... the sun may not be above the horizon but plenty of light.

And, yeah... you'll sleep when you get tired enough. We'll pour a bunch of booze down your gullet and put you to sleep that way if we have to!

Kathianne
06-29-2017, 07:51 PM
It's light out 24/7 right now... the sun may not be above the horizon but plenty of light.

And, yeah... you'll sleep when you get tired enough. We'll pour a bunch of booze down your gullet and put you to sleep that way if we have to!

:laugh2: Oh the sacrifices!

SassyLady
06-30-2017, 03:00 AM
I'm jealous!

NightTrain
07-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Just an update - we picked up Jim last night at the airport, we're having coffee here at my house right now and we'll be heading up to the cabin in a couple of hours or so.

Abbey Marie
07-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Just an update - we picked up Jim last night at the airport, we're having coffee here at my house right now and we'll be heading up to the cabin in a couple of hours or so.

Coffee first- I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!

Remember- pics or it didn't happen!

ETA: Pleas tell Jim we all wished him a happy birthday...

aboutime
07-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Hope you both have a great time, and remember what Abbey said about the Pics. Birthday, and Anniversary too!

You've gotta tell us what it's really like in GOD'S country!

NightTrain
07-04-2017, 04:34 AM
Jim is finally sleeping now, the jet lag has been rough. But he's a trooper, this taken a couple hours ago on the bow of my boat with his own personal cheering section!

He fished for Kings but no dice. Tomorrow is the day!

hjmick
07-04-2017, 05:27 AM
Jim is finally sleeping now, the jet lag has been rough. But he's a trooper, this taken a couple hours ago on the bow of my boat with his own personal cheering section!

He fished for Kings but no dice. Tomorrow is the day!
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10115&stc=1

Gotta quit taking pictures of Jim next to such attractive people. It just makes him look uglier than he is...

BoogyMan
07-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Sounds like an amazing adventure. I have family up there and the pictures they send us are AWESOME.

Be safe and have an amazing time!

NightTrain
07-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Jim's first Alaska fish.

darin
07-05-2017, 01:59 AM
Jim's first Alaska fish.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10116&stc=1

Better than anything he'd fish out of the Hudson :D

Kathianne
07-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Looks like the water is a tad deep! So beautiful!

NightTrain
07-05-2017, 11:11 PM
We're still working on getting him a King, but the fish aren't cooperating.... so far.

Going to get him one, one way or the other!

Took him through the Class IV white water in the canyon yesterday, he was digging the ride and the scenery. No bears or moose sighted yet... which is damned weird. They're everywhere until you want to show your friend.

Abbey Marie
07-05-2017, 11:44 PM
We're still working on getting him a King, but the fish aren't cooperating.... so far.

Going to get him one, one way or the other!

Took him through the Class IV white water in the canyon yesterday, he was digging the ride and the scenery. No bears or moose sighted yet... which is damned weird. They're everywhere until you want to show your friend.

I think Jim's going to be asking his wife if they can move to Alaska!

hjmick
07-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I think Jim's going to be asking his wife if they can move to Alaska!

Of that I have no doubt...

NightTrain
07-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Ohhh yeahhh

Kathianne
07-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Ohhh yeahhh
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10118&stc=1

Freaking fish eye! LOL! Congrats to Jim, that's a big fish.

NightTrain
07-06-2017, 11:54 PM
That's a 25# King, and he caught it on a trout pole setup and he'd JUST lost a beautiful monster Dolly Varden... so this was a very welcome hookup indeed.

About half way through Jim's epic battle, my poor little trout rig with 6# test had the reel break off, so Jim was holding that damn reel on with one hand while trying to coax that King up on the beach without snapping that light 6# test line.

He was a pro!

Abbey Marie
07-07-2017, 12:03 AM
And I assume grilled salmon was enjoyed by all?

NightTrain
07-07-2017, 12:44 AM
And I assume grilled salmon was enjoyed by all?

Funny you should say that....

As it turns out, Sharon just told us this is a White King, which I didn't think even ran up here. Check out how translucent the meat is.

Kathianne
07-07-2017, 05:48 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10119&stc=1

As it turns out, Sharon just told us this is a White King, which I didn't think even ran up here. Check out how translucent the meat is.

Oh that is just beautiful! You all look to be having a blast! Jim's going to cry when it's go home time!

hjmick
07-07-2017, 09:32 AM

That's odd, I would have thought the fish monger would have told Jim it was a White King when he bought it... :lmao:

NightTrain
07-07-2017, 11:07 AM
That's odd, I would have thought the fish monger would have told Jim it was a White King when he bought it... :lmao:

Wise guy, eh?? Lol

Man, I've been fishing this river since '82 and I've never even heard of a White King getting caught here... that's a special fish.

hjmick
07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Wise guy, eh?? Lol

Man, I've been fishing this river since '82 and I've never even heard of a White King getting caught here... that's a special fish.

None wiser...

Black Diamond
07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
So how is Jim holding up? Does NightTrain feel like Jack Palance? :laugh:

NightTrain
07-07-2017, 11:29 PM
So how is Jim holding up? Does NightTrain feel like Jack Palance? :laugh:

City Slickers? :laugh:

Abbey Marie
07-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Oh that is just beautiful! You all look to be having a blast! Jim's going to cry when it's go home time!

Jim looks like he's having a blast. :thumb:

NightTrain
07-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Pulled out of the cabin today, back at home now... it's raining like hell and the river is flooding, which wipes out fishing.

So we'll do a couple days of road touring in the area before he flies home on Monday.

NightTrain
07-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Today we drove through Hatcher's Pass, then drove East toward the Canadian Border.

Got pictures of the Matanuska Glacier, a wolverine and a mama moose with a brand-new baby calf beside the Alaska Highway.

The wolverine sighting up in Hatcher's was a rare event indeed... that's only the 2nd one I've ever seen in the wild, they're extremely elusive.

Abbey Marie
07-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Today we drove through Hatcher's Pass, then drove East toward the Canadian Border.

Got pictures of the Matanuska Glacier, a wolverine and a mama moose with a brand-new baby calf beside the Alaska Highway.

The wolverine sighting up in Hatcher's was a rare event indeed... that's only the 2nd one I've ever seen in the wild, they're extremely elusive.

Wow, I've heard Wolverines are almost never spotted. Can't wait to see the pics. :thumb:

NightTrain
07-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Wow, I've heard Wolverines are almost never spotted. Can't wait to see the pics. :thumb:

Yep, extremely rare to see one. Sharon used to work out in a high-end remote lodge north of Illiamna off the Nushagak River years ago, and one spring they'd had a wolverine roll through and it decided to go into a few of the cabins. The solid wood doors were no match for it and it made it's own entrances - and then proceeded to beat the hell out of the interior. I happened to go out to visit her and it took me a couple of days to fix the damage - they're very destructive when they want to be. And no animal, including bears, messes with a wolverine.

Anyway, yesterday before we put him on his plane back home, we drove down south of Anchorage about 80 miles to a pretty cool nature wildlife conservation operation so Jim could see the remainder of the animals he hadn't seen in the wild. Grizzlies, Blackies, Bison, Muskox, Tundra Wolves, Elk, Caribou, etc. Got some pretty great shots & vids, and Jim was finally face-to-face with a Griz 5 feet away.

He's got his work cut out for him with posting a ton of pics, I expect we'll start seeing them in the next day or so.

It was a great trip all the way around - everything worked out and went very smoothly. I still can't believe he caught a White King on a trout rod up there.

Abbey Marie
07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Yep, extremely rare to see one. Sharon used to work out in a high-end remote lodge north of Illiamna off the Nushagak River years ago, and one spring they'd had a wolverine roll through and it decided to go into a few of the cabins. The solid wood doors were no match for it and it made it's own entrances - and then proceeded to beat the hell out of the interior. I happened to go out to visit her and it took me a couple of days to fix the damage - they're very destructive when they want to be. And no animal, including bears, messes with a wolverine.

Anyway, yesterday before we put him on his plane back home, we drove down south of Anchorage about 80 miles to a pretty cool nature wildlife conservation operation so Jim could see the remainder of the animals he hadn't seen in the wild. Grizzlies, Blackies, Bison, Muskox, Tundra Wolves, Elk, Caribou, etc. Got some pretty great shots & vids, and Jim was finally face-to-face with a Griz 5 feet away.

He's got his work cut out for him with posting a ton of pics, I expect we'll start seeing them in the next day or so.

It was a great trip all the way around - everything worked out and went very smoothly. I still can't believe he caught a White King on a trout rod up there.

Wow on the distance to the Grizzly!!

Russ
07-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Jim's first Alaska fish.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10116&stc=1

How did the hook fit into that little fish's mouth? :laugh2:

NightTrain
07-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Wow on the distance to the Grizzly!!

That was a very funny moment. Sharon may have captured that on video, I sure hope she did... we haven't gone through all our pics and vids yet, we'll post them after Jim uploads his.

Anyway, yesterday all 3 of us were standing next to the fence for the Grizzlies and Jim was reading an informational sign giving the stats on the Big Boy Griz in there. I saw the Griz come walking along the fence, coming from our right, and Jim couldn't see it coming because Shar and I were blocking the view to the right.

So Jim is leaning in, reading the sign with his face a couple inches from the wire fence, and I reached past his face, pointing to the left side of the sign and he turned his head a bit to look at what I was pointing at just as the Griz appeared from behind the sign he was reading. I think the sign said he weighed over 1200# and is over 8' tall... fairly good size bruin.

"Jesus! Holy SHIT! WTF!!!" were his exact words as I recall, as he jumped back. The bear kind of glanced at him and continued his leisurely patrol of the fence. I chuckled about that for a couple hours.

NightTrain
07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
How did the hook fit into that little fish's mouth? :laugh2:

The little fella was HON-GRAY! The little Rainbows are pretty aggressive... Sharon caught one about half that size earlier on the same size lure. They're pretty spunky.

Russ
07-11-2017, 02:25 PM
That was a very funny moment. Sharon may have captured that on video, I sure hope she did... we haven't gone through all our pics and vids yet, we'll post them after Jim uploads his.

Anyway, yesterday all 3 of us were standing next to the fence for the Grizzlies and Jim was reading an informational sign giving the stats on the Big Boy Griz in there. I saw the Griz come walking along the fence, coming from our right, and Jim couldn't see it coming because Shar and I were blocking the view to the right.

So Jim is leaning in, reading the sign with his face a couple inches from the wire fence, and I reached past his face, pointing to the left side of the sign and he turned his head a bit to look at what I was pointing at just as the Griz appeared from behind the sign he was reading. I think the sign said he weighed over 1200# and is over 8' tall... fairly good size bruin.

"Jesus! Holy SHIT! WTF!!!" were his exact words as I recall, as he jumped back. The bear kind of glanced at him and continued his leisurely patrol of the fence. I chuckled about that for a couple hours.

If Sharon got video of that moment, please post it here! :cool: :thumb:

Abbey Marie
07-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Pardon the crudeness, but I hope Jim still had a change of underwear... ;)

NightTrain
07-11-2017, 02:43 PM
If Sharon got video of that moment, please post it here! :cool: :thumb:

We will. I don't want to steal Jim's thunder, so we'll post after he's uploaded and discussed his adventures.

I just asked her, she didn't actually get the moment the bear materialized from behind that big sign, but she did get video a few seconds after that happened as Jim was animatedly discussing the surprising stealthiness of the Griz in question. :laugh:

Kathianne
07-11-2017, 03:22 PM
We will. I don't want to steal Jim's thunder, so we'll post after he's uploaded and discussed his adventures.

I just asked her, she didn't actually get the moment the bear materialized from behind that big sign, but she did get video a few seconds after that happened as Jim was animatedly discussing the surprising stealthiness of the Griz in question. :laugh:
:laugh2::cool:

NightTrain
07-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Pardon the crudeness, but I hope Jim still had a change of underwear... ;)

Fortunately, the gift shop had a set of "I ♥ Alaska" boxers he was able to purchase for the low, low price of $29.95 while supplies last!

Abbey Marie
07-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Fortunately, the gift shop had a set of "I ♥ Alaska" boxers he was able to purchase for the low, low price of $29.95 while supplies last!

:laugh2:

Kathianne
07-11-2017, 06:53 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Tell me he bought another $70 t-shirt! (Might have been a hundred he spent, but really anything over $25 is laughable!

NightTrain
07-12-2017, 11:59 AM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Tell me he bought another $70 t-shirt! (Might have been a hundred he spent, but really anything over $25 is laughable!

I'm just joking about buying the boxers... but it wouldn't surprise me if they had those in the gift shop. Hammering the tourists is what everyone does up here right now.

The cool thing about that wildlife conservation outfit is that they take in orphaned baby animals, or injured ones and nurse them back to health, then release them back into the wild when they're able to fend for themselves. It's $15 per adult to get in and the tourist memorabilia is outrageously priced but it's for a good cause, non-profit, and people pay it. Supposedly 100% of the money raised pays for costs of staffing, feeding and care of all the animals there, and that's expensive on an annual basis... I believe them with the 100% figure.

We tried to show Jim the major players in the wild, but that doesn't always happen - so going to the conservation place to fill in all the gaps worked out. Besides, if Jim had been 5' away from a Griz in the wild, that would be a good indicator that things had gone wrong... horribly, horribly wrong! And all hands available would have been wielding big-bore weapons, not cameras! :laugh: