PDA

View Full Version : Something Good

Kathianne
07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Last Friday I noticed the rubber around my windshield was 'flapping.' Was so down, have so many time sensitive dibs on my few dollars. Yesterday I heard a rattle while going down mountain, freaked that the windshield would fall out. Cars whizzing along at 75-85, I slowed down to 65, very hard to do.

Called Safelite, they don't have an opening until after September 5! Ah the joys of rural America!

Called my mechanic to see if they could do it? Nope, but referred me to a local. I called him, he was eating breakfast 5 minutes from my house. Drove and he looked at it, "Not really a problem, that's cosmetic. The rattling is because the 'replaced' windshield was set to low. It's safe, but will continue." He pulled off the offending rubber and cleaned the windshield. It needs to be replaced. He can do it Aug 4th, which is way better than the other. It's also covered by my insurance! Woop!

jimnyc
07-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Last Friday I noticed the rubber around my windshield was 'flapping.' Was so down, have so many time sensitive dibs on my few dollars. Yesterday I heard a rattle while going down mountain, freaked that the windshield would fall out. Cars whizzing along at 75-85, I slowed down to 65, very hard to do.

Called Safelite, they don't have an opening until after September 5! Ah the joys of rural America!

Called my mechanic to see if they could do it? Nope, but referred me to a local. I called him, he was eating breakfast 5 minutes from my house. Drove and he looked at it, "Not really a problem, that's cosmetic. The rattling is because the 'replaced' windshield was set to low. It's safe, but will continue." He pulled off the offending rubber and cleaned the windshield. It needs to be replaced. He can do it Aug 4th, which is way better than the other. It's also covered by my insurance! Woop!

Damn, 1 1/2 months to do your windshield? I like the sounds of Safelite, but that's too damn long no matter where you live!

Glad to see all will work out in the end though. :)

Abbey Marie
07-18-2017, 03:02 PM
We've used them twice. They came right to our driveway and did a perfect job.

Kathianne
07-18-2017, 03:51 PM
I called Safelite because I've used them before in IL, several times. Funny how in IL there's little rock, but there sure is on the trucks and they regularly smack the windshield. Here? I'm surrounded by rocks: mountains, ground, lawns are all stone. LOL! In 3 years not one stone has hit my windshield. Go figure.

It was Safelite though that didn't properly install the windshield a few years ago, which is what is now causing the rattling. As long as it's safe to drive, I'm good with Aug 4th. I think the problem with the cosmetic rubber was a godsend, I didn't think the real culprit was the windshield, but age of car in AZ sun. It's not unheard of for windshield wipers to melt.

SMTA
07-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Frustrating car problems, check.
Always untimely, check.
Too poor for trouble free new cars, check.
Too few dollars, check.
I feel your pain.

darin
07-19-2017, 01:04 AM
I have family at safelite - they love working for the company. Glad things turned out for you Kath :)