PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Rand Paul Agrees: Russia Investigation a 'Witch Hunt'

jimnyc
07-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Sen. Rand Paul Agrees: Russia Investigation a 'Witch Hunt'

Attorney General Jeff Sessions should have been more supportive of President Donald Trump, and the entire investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election has become a "witch hunt," Sen. Rand Paul said Thursday.

"In the usual duties of being in the Senate, he should have stayed in the fray and been more supportive of the president," the Kentucky Republican told Fox News' "Fox & Friends" program.

"My other objection with Sen. Sessions is that he also now is going after people's property through what we call asset forfeiture. This has been big to minorities and poor people, and I think we shouldn't take people's property without conviction."

In an interview with The New York Times, Trump said that he would not have nominated Sessions if he knew he'd recuse himself from overseeing investigation into Russia's activities during the 2016 election.

Trump also criticized former FBI Director Robert Mueller, who is heading the investigation into Russian activities during the 2016 election, warning he would consider it a red line if Mueller's probe into his business activities goes into areas not associated with Russia.

Paul said he agrees with Trump that the investigation has become a "witch hunt," and said he believes it has become a "partisan thing."

"The Democrats lost the election, so they're going to investigate Trump for as long as he's in office," said Paul. "Now, to be fair, I think Republicans have done the same to Democrats. So I think this is a partisan witch hunt . . .

"It's a bunch of random events that we are now putting, or someone is putting their own impression on to say it's a big conspiracy.

"In reality, a lot of people meet with Russian ambassadors, foreign ministers around Washington. And I think what we've done is concocted a story line here that really is a witch hunt."

Kathianne
07-20-2017, 07:25 PM
I'll blame Sessions when it's clear that it was his idea regarding forfeiture and not coming from his boss's office. (Not really thinking Trump here, though Kelo support is similar, thinking more the Bannon front).

I think the Russian thing is going where it's going, in many ways because Trump just keeps it up in Twitter and even this NYT thing, bringing up the 'portfolio of Russian accusations' that Comey tried to 'maybe extort' him with. Why? Why keep bringing these things up? All I can think is that his core will see him as a victim, but it's doing nothing to get the rest of the people on his side. The bait and complain isn't working, he should be seeing that, he's smart. He's also angry now, perhaps too angry to see that others see it too? How good is your judgement when really angry?

revelarts
07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
How good is your judgment when really angry?

umm Kath... How good is Trump's judgment when he's NOT angry?

But Yes I agree with Rand Paul... mostly.
I've alway thought this Russia stuff was BS.
And Hypocritical BS as a thinly veiled distraction from her crimes when it comes from the Clintons.

I never thought Sessions was good for the Justice dept. he's bad news there period.
I have no idea where the green light for MORE forfeitures came from, but i've seen law enforcement types in meetings "advising" Trump on various unconstitutional tactics to employ.
with NO voices giving a counter point to the sage "advise".