PDA

View Full Version : Teens Film Man Drowning, Do Nothing

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 08:47 AM
This is beyond disturbing, I agree with the police in hoping a new law is quickly passed:

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/21/florida-teens-who-recorded-drowning-man-will-not-be-charged-in-his-death/

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

POSTED 6:51 AM, JULY 21, 2017, BY CNN WIRE (http://wgntv.com/author/cnn-wire/)

COCOA, Fla. — A group of Florida teens who taunted a drowning man while filming his death from afar will not be criminally charged, according to police.

In the more than two-minute long video, the five teen boys — who are between the ages of 14 and 16 — can be heard laughing as the man struggles to stay afloat, police say, in a pond near his family’s Cocoa, Florida, home.

Instead of calling for help, the teens recorded the incident on a cell phone, chuckling during the victim’s final moments.

The teens can be heard warning the man that he was “going to die” and they were not going to help him. At one point, one of the teen boys can be heard laughing, saying “he dead.”
Police: Family of victim ‘frustrated’ in lack of accountability

The state of Florida currently does not have a law where a citizen is obligated to render aid or call for help for anyone in distress.

“If there was (a law like that) we would charge them,” Cocoa Police Department spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez told CNN by phone.

“The family is frustrated … the detectives are frustrated, that we cannot hold anyone accountable for this,” Martinez added. “No one deserves to go like that.”

Teens showed no remorse over drowning death

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 09:23 AM
I can almost understand not knowing what to do, or being in shock, or even filming and being ignorant. But laughing, taunting and telling him he was going to die while doing so?

I have no problem and would also support new laws.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2017, 10:06 AM
This made my stomach churn.
And at the same time, I am not really surprised. People suck.

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 10:30 AM
This made my stomach churn.
And at the same time, I am not really surprised. People suck.

A normal reaction after reading something like this. Then again, there's many more examples of teens saving someone from being raped, or saving them from a fire, or following a car where the driver kidnapped a child, resulting in the child being freed.

One wonders what sort of parents and community these teens come from.

Then I look at the many times more kids that are giving back to their communities, schools, and involved with their families and churches.

There are always the bad ones, luckily there seem to be many more good ones.

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 10:32 AM
A normal reaction after reading something like this. Then again, there's many more examples of teens saving someone from being raped, or saving them from a fire, or following a car where the driver kidnapped a child, resulting in the child being freed.

Then I look at the many times more kids that are giving back to their communities, schools, and involved with their families and churches.

I was talking while in Alaska, about the dog playing on the back of the boat, and that I WOULD jump in if she were to fall out. The waters were running 17mph and the water was also COLD. She would probably have easily angled herself and got to shore fairly easily, while I would likely have gotten the body temps cold and sank quickly!

I think more people than not, just have an instinct to want to help, whether it be animals or of course a human drowning.

I would LIKE to hope, that these dirtbags were of the rare group that would not only refuse to help, but also mock the situation.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

I wish I could feel this way, Kath, but I cannot. There are definitely good folks, but I truly believe that they are in the minority. The things people all over the world do to women, animals, etc., are proof enough for me.

God help us if we ever have to compete for food, etc. The level of ugly will be unbelievable.

I will be glad to be wrong, though!

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 11:01 AM
I wish I could feel this way, Kath, but I cannot. There are definitely good folks, but I truly believe that they are in the minority. The things people all over the world do to women, animals, etc., are proof enough for me.

God help us if we ever have to compete for food, etc. The level of ugly will be unbelievable.

I will be glad to be wrong, though!

I do think you are in this, I certainly hope I'm right. ;) I look at any given day and the truth is there are more good people, if judged by giving me a smile or a thank you or excuse me or holding a door. Yes, we all notice and get at least annoyed at those that are rude or just miserable in their demeanor, but that's the point, they are noticeable.

I think the real problem is when we take the miserable ones to heart, and figure they are the norm. That's on us.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I do think you are in this, I certainly hope I'm right. ;) I look at any given day and the truth is there are more good people, if judged by giving me a smile or a thank you or excuse me or holding a door. Yes, we all notice and get at least annoyed at those that are rude or just miserable in their demeanor, but that's the point, they are noticeable.

I think the real problem is when we take the miserable ones to heart, and figure they are the norm. That's on us.

I think of it as being realistic. :cool:

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

I'm keeping you around, whenever I think I'm getting too cynical, I have you! :laugh2:

revelarts
07-21-2017, 01:36 PM
This is beyond disturbing, I agree with the police in hoping a new law is quickly passed:

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/21/florida-teens-who-recorded-drowning-man-will-not-be-charged-in-his-death/

The sad thing is there's also no law saying that POLICE have to do anything save anyone either.
though many many do.
however, this is established law apparently.
There are stories of cops WATCHING as citizens fight to subdue wanted killers and didn't approach until the fight is finished. and of course many incidents of cops watching people die while in custody.

seems to me there should be no law to punish random citizens for being heartless SCUMBAGS.
I mean where does that end?
But if you VOLUNTEER for a job that that has helping people and the law as it's mission. And you are PAID and trained by the state to do it. Well, it seems to me the consequences for doing nothing or doing the opposite should be pretty steep.

aboutime
07-21-2017, 06:04 PM
I can almost understand not knowing what to do, or being in shock, or even filming and being ignorant. But laughing, taunting and telling him he was going to die while doing so?

I have no problem and would also support new laws.

jim. Our nation is full of ignored children like those teens. I place the blame on their parents who probably do the same things, while watching movies, and playing games in their home where the value of anyone's life...depends on how ENTERTAINING the outcome might be. Instant gratification, poor home life, and not following any rules...has become the RULE, rather than the EXCEPTION in America. Just look around.

Kathianne
07-22-2017, 05:16 AM
revelarts I thought this might be of interest to you, I found it so:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449690/police-deserve-support-and-accountability?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=dogan&utm_content=pro-police-reforms

SMTA
07-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Agreed.
I told the wife and kids about this yesterday.
They were all disgusted and upset that could happen.
Sadly, none of us are surprised.
I wonder what race and color the kids were.

jimnyc
07-22-2017, 02:01 PM
I heard earlier today that they ended up charging these kids anyway. Apparently there was no law that forced them to do anything. But since they knew he died, they had a duty then to report it, and failed to do so. I have no idea what this crime is or the penalty it may carry. I'm glad they found something to charge the little scumbags with though!

SMTA
07-22-2017, 02:07 PM
I heard earlier today that they ended up charging these kids anyway. Apparently there was no law that forced them to do anything. But since they knew he died, they had a duty then to report it, and failed to do so. I have no idea what this crime is or the penalty it may carry. I'm glad they found something to charge the little scumbags with though!
It won't be enough to kick them in the teeth.
It burns me that they are probably still laughing about the whole thing.
I don't care who the victim was - everybody should be respected, helped, and be treated humanly.
Little bastards. Their karma will come around sometime.