PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When The Races Are Reversed In A Police Shooting

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 10:06 AM
All the opposite.

The cop, on the face, seems to be wrong on this one. Of course we need to wait for ALL of the facts to come out. And if what I have read and seen is the final truth, I hope this guy is found guilty and spends an eternity in jail.

While we wait...

No shootings, no murders, no riots, no burnings, no destruction of neighborhoods, no calling for death of cops.... just a totally different ballgame

---

What Happens When The Races Are Reversed In A Police Shooting

One cop is finally receiving support from the press and political leaders after being at the center of another high-profile police shooting.

Last weekend, an Australian woman, Justine Damond, called police to report an alleged assault that was occurring near her home in Minneapolis. But when police arrived on the scene, Damond ended up becoming the victim of an officer’s bullet.

While there are many questions still lingering about the shooting, the initial details of the case have all the ingredients for the media to paint it as another sign of lawless police brutality.

Except, the press has been remarkably reserved in its coverage of the case, there are no activists marching and chanting on the streets of Minneapolis, and Black Lives Matter is seemingly sitting out on this matter.

This is likely due to this shooting having a reversal of roles when it comes to race. Ms. Damond was a white woman, while her shooter, Mohamed Noor, is of Somali Muslim descent.

That probably explains why the emerging narrative from the press and Minneapolis’s leaders is concern that the shooting may prompt a backlash against the Somali community in the city. It’s quite odd to see since there is never a concern from the media that the white community may receive grief any time a Caucasian officer shoots someone over contended circumstances.

But here we are seeing multiple outlets run with this narrative of blowback fears. The Washington Post published an article on Tuesday with the headline, “After Minneapolis officer in police shooting is named, Somali community braces for backlash.” The article begins with statements that America is experiencing unprecedented levels of Islamophobia, as well as “racial tension stoked in part by shootings of black people by white police officers.”

Although apparently, we don’t need to worry about tension stoked by shootings of Aussies by Somali police officers.

Rest here - http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/21/what-happens-when-the-races-are-reversed-in-a-police-shooting/

revelarts
07-21-2017, 12:10 PM
from the reports so far it seems the Cop is WRONG. and should be tried for Manslaughter... at base.

As i've pointed out for YEARS... over aggressive and abusive policing is a problem beyond race.
It just manifest itself more regularly in minority and poor areas.
the fact that it happens to WHITE people as well should make more people pay attention to the overall problems rather than the 1ST COMMENTS being those looking for more ways to divide the people being shot and killed with impunity by those granted authority to PROTECT us all.

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 12:22 PM
the Cop is WRONG. and should be tried for Manslaughter... at base.

As i've pointed out for YEARS... over aggressive and abusive policing is a problem beyond race.
It just manifest itself more regularly in minority and poor areas.
the fact that it happens to WHITE people as well should make more people pay attention to the overall problems rather than the 1ST COMMENTS being those looking for more ways to divide the people being shot and killed with impunity by those granted authority to PROTECT us all.

Since there are no cameras, I'm not jumping to 100% conclusions. But that there were no cameras, that also helps in my search for facts. They should have had them on. I have zero doubt at all from all I have heard only thus far, he should undoubtedly be tried for manslaughter, at the very least.

I only point out the difference in reactions... the reactions don't help get the attention one seeks, nor does it helps solve any problems. I know folks get angry, and think it will garner more attention and help, but it doesn't. This case has gotten a massive amount of attention, because it appears there was no reasoning whatsoever, literally no reason for the shooting. Of course and because she was the one herself to call 911. But I think the circumstances will generally dictate the amount of attention. And of course, things in today's age are getting more and more attention due to cell phones and social media, which can be a useful tool in keeping both sides in line, in the lying department.

"I" wasn't looking to divide at all. I posted an article. Outside of that, I spoke that I think he's wrong. I also pointed out the things we are not seeing happen as a result. I purposely left various races out of it. I don't think it's necessary.

My point is, I don't see them things as necessary, nor do I see those things accomplishing anything. But I can very easily see that the article in itself goes directly to furthering a divide, as opposed to the actual problems as you state. And we both addressed the problem first before giving other opinions which is cool. :)

Yeps, while I always say "individual cases", the problem needs to be fixed. And if we have more or less seen all we will see as far as proof and facts are concerned in this case, then I think even the circumstantial alone should be enough to put this overzealous donut eater behind bars and also never owning a gun again.

revelarts
07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
As far as race goes here's a view that's not getting much attention either.

Castile shooting acquittal worries Black gun owners
Gerry Martin isn’t sure he will ever tell a police officer during a traffic stop that he has a concealed-weapon permit — and possibly a weapon — on him.
The acquittal of a Minnesota officer in the death of a licensed gun owner who volunteered that he had a gun seconds before being fatally shot during a traffic stop adds to the worries of African-American gun owners about how they are treated by police and society.
Acknowledging that they have a weapon, they said, can open them up to violence from police, who can then claim they feared for their lives simply because of the presence of a gun, even a legal one.
“As soon as you say, ‘I’m a concealed carry holder. This is my license,’ they automatically are reaching for their gun thinking you’re going to draw your gun on them, once again not realizing you’re a good guy,” said Martin, who lives in Glenside, Pennsylvania.

Philando Castile was fatally shot by the officer July 6 in a St. Paul suburb seconds after he told the officer he was armed. Officer Jeronimo Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted Friday of manslaughter and two lesser charges.
During the stop, Castile volunteered, “Sir, I have to tell you, I do have a firearm on me.”
Yanez told Castile, “OK, don’t reach for it then” and “Don’t pull it out.”
On the squad-car video, Castile can be heard saying, “I’m not pulling it out,” as Yanez opened fire. Prosecutors said Castile’s last words were, “I wasn’t reaching for it.”

What does a black gun owner have to do to be safe from cops?
If they say "get on the ground" or "get out of the car" or "show me your hands" and you move too fast... or too slow. will you be safe?
If they say freeze and they see a concealed weapon before you can say/prove "it's legal".
will you be safe?

White's have the same problem but which race would you RATHER be if cops pull up on you?
But it doesn't matter what race you are... or if your gun was legal... or if you called 911... or they pulled you over 4 some minor traffic violation... if you're dead.

I saw this one youtube video. (I won't post it ) of Cops stopping a guy inside his car in a parking lot. the Cops were yelling commands at him that he apparently didn't comply with the right way. The cops shot him 9 times through his open door. It turns out he was a police officer (white) that they all knew.
What's wrong with the "TRAINING" and the aggressive "come home alive" footing of police when even OTHER COPS don't know how to "properly" respond to police when guns are pointed at them?

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 12:55 PM
I don't like the supposed reasoning from the officer. He says he accepts that she was not armed. But yet he opened fire anyway, just because he was alarmed? Should NOT be a cop. And definitely manslaughter in some degree, looks like the 2nd in Minnesota. Going for the 1st might be tough. It also states that they DID have cameras, just nothing turned on until AFTER the fact. I think that sucks.

--

Police officer explains why he killed bride-to-be Justine Damond

The police officer who killed an Australian woman who approached his car in her pyjamas has explained what caused him to shoot.

Officer Mohamed Noor claims he was “startled” by bride-to-be Justine Damond before he opened fire through the window of the vehicle when it was parked near her home in Minneapolis.

A friend of the killer cop, who has been suspended by Minneapolis Police Department, told DailyMail.com that he reacted after seeing a figure emerge from the dark running towards him.

The friend said: “Mohamed believes he acted to protect himself and his colleague, but accepts since that she was not armed.

“It was over in seconds and it was a very tense moment. He is sorry for the woman and her family.

“But he would never have opened fire without genuinely feeling in danger.”

The friend added that Noor feel he has been “thrown under the bus” by his colleagues, adding: “His colleagues are accusing him of not showing proper police conduct on Saturday night.”

Noor shot Ms Damond, who had phoned police to report a possible sexual assault, once in the abdomen and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Her fiancee, Don Damond, has described her death as a “homicide” and is demanding a federal investigation into her death.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-officer-explains-killed-bride-justine-damond-100009978.html

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 12:55 PM

If they say "get on the ground" or "get out of the car" or "show me your hands" and you move too fast... or too slow. will you be safe?
If they say freeze and they see a concealed weapon before you can say/prove "it's legal".
will you be safe?

White's have the same problem but which race would you RATHER be if cops pull up on you?
But it doesn't matter what race you are... or if your gun was legal... or if you called 911... or they pulled you over 4 some minor traffic violation... if you're dead.

I saw this one youtube video. (I won't post it ) of Cops stopping a guy inside his car in a parking lot. the Cops were yelling commands at him that he apparently didn't comply with the right way. The cops shot him 9 times through his open door. It turns out he was a police officer (white) that they all knew.
What's wrong with the "TRAINING" and the aggressive "come home alive" footing of police when even OTHER COPS don't know how to properly respond to police when guns are pointed at them?

I have to agree to some extent, though I think that a white guy that was perceived by appearance alone to be 'threatening' to an insecure or 'bad' cop might face the same problems. No doubt though, black males face a higher bar with some police.

The problem for me comes from the argument that it's 'most' police. I can go for an argument that in many communities with a higher concentration of crime and young, black males that too many of the police are too reactive. Then again, so are those communities facing the dual problem of being victims of the youth and also convinced of the hostility of the police.

jimnyc
07-21-2017, 01:00 PM

will you be safe?

What's wrong with the "TRAINING" and the aggressive "come home alive" footing of police when even OTHER COPS don't know how to properly respond to police when guns are pointed at them?

I think whether you are black or white, in addition to telling any officer that you have a concealed weapon, one should never reach, and wait until the officer gives any commands. I can't say that he had any bad intentions at all, but it did sound as if he continued to reach for his weapon when he was shot.

Hell, I wouldn't even feel safe carrying a weapon anymore, and certainly not in New York!! But if I did, I would have like 8 camera angles running, and instantly tell any agitated officer "Hey, I have 8 cameras running, I have a weapon, my arms are up in the air, please retrieve my weapon"

Sounds insane, but we live in an insane world. And it's an insane world that I don't want to die early in!! :thumb:

Abbey Marie
07-21-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't like the supposed reasoning from the officer. He says he accepts that she was not armed. But yet he opened fire anyway, just because he was alarmed? Should NOT be a cop. And definitely manslaughter in some degree, looks like the 2nd in Minnesota. Going for the 1st might be tough. It also states that they DID have cameras, just nothing turned on until AFTER the fact. I think that sucks.

--

Police officer explains why he killed bride-to-be Justine Damond

The police officer who killed an Australian woman who approached his car in her pyjamas has explained what caused him to shoot.

Officer Mohamed Noor claims he was “startled” by bride-to-be Justine Damond before he opened fire through the window of the vehicle when it was parked near her home in Minneapolis.

A friend of the killer cop, who has been suspended by Minneapolis Police Department, told DailyMail.com that he reacted after seeing a figure emerge from the dark running towards him.

The friend said: “Mohamed believes he acted to protect himself and his colleague, but accepts since that she was not armed.

“It was over in seconds and it was a very tense moment. He is sorry for the woman and her family.

“But he would never have opened fire without genuinely feeling in danger.”

The friend added that Noor feel he has been “thrown under the bus” by his colleagues, adding: “His colleagues are accusing him of not showing proper police conduct on Saturday night.”

Noor shot Ms Damond, who had phoned police to report a possible sexual assault, once in the abdomen and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Her fiancee, Don Damond, has described her death as a “homicide” and is demanding a federal investigation into her death.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-officer-explains-killed-bride-justine-damond-100009978.html

Hmm. His partner was closer to her and didn't feel the need to shoot. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, so for now I will just say this guy is not cut out for police work.

Kathianne
07-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Hmm. His partner was closer to her and didn't feel the need to shoot.

Indeed. Not to mention he fired 'across' his partner.

Like Jim, I have serious misgivings about the body cams being off, especially AFTER the shooting. That is so wrong.

revelarts
07-22-2017, 09:04 AM
@Kathianne... moved my reply here from the teens watch man drown thread, seems more appropriate

@revelarts (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1760) I thought this might be of interest to you, I found it so:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449690/police-deserve-support-and-accountability?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=dogan&utm_content=pro-police-reforms

that's pretty good. I'm all for legit laws and programs that help police and their safety. I’m glad they are being implemented. And that minority legislators are talking to police about “pro-police and Pro-black“ concepts.
it's is interesting though. that the reforms that have been enacted and in process that were mentioned are pro-police legalization to protect police and salary raises for police. But only in the last paragraph is there mention of vague talk about "training”, “police reforms" etc..

It seems again that PART of the issue is that when people ask police if anything is wrong on their end too many... NOT ALL... say or assume they need NO changes in the way they operate other than maybe being able to be MORE aggressive, employ larger weapons, have less transparency, would like more freedom to confiscate people's property on a whim etc.. The LEADERSHIP of national sheriffs who met with Trump expressed that ENTHUSIASTICALLY along with the federal LEO's at the table. Of course they don’t represent "ALL" police but lets be real, if the leadership has that POV why should we assume that "MOST" police have a very different POV Kath?

It seems that most every time i mention a problem with policing several here automatically begin to bring up the concept of it being more of a BAD APPLES type of a situation or as you mentioned, a problem only in certain areas. Implying that “MOST police” basically should not be questioned… at all.

Every time i mention police i try to make it a point to say that it’s not ALL. i’m not sure you or others believe me when i say though.
And the point that i think is missing folks really understanding the point I and many others are trying to make is the idea that the training, the mental footing, some depts mindset and posture toward some communities, the US vs THEN mentality of MANY police depts, the lack of even consideration of concepts like community policing, the SYSTEMATIC protection of bad cops, bad cops rising to leadership roles, the punishment of good cops by some depts, etc etc. IS a problem for MOST police.

These issues do touch MOST cops. Good cops and policing can’t thrive in an environment with a military instead of a “protect and serve” footing.
this overall POV and details need to be addressed. Not ignored and dismissed with the OFF Hand idea that MOST police and policing are just fine and dandy with NO need of reforms AT ALL.

that’s NOT saying All police are Bad, or all depts are bad I’ve posted …and it been ignored mainly several examples of good depts, and depts that have turned around, and police units that have turned around for the cop’s and the community’s benefit.
Simply put, Yes their mostly decent cops but POLICING OVERALL can be IMPROVED!!

Is there ANY profession where things can’t be improved?
If any private biz had people protesting in the street over the level of service would the normal reaction be.
“the customers are ALL wrong… and should be thankfully… it’s only a few bad service reps”
Especially when GOOD customers are dying and being harassed?

I know many people's love and respect for “the police” is nearly as deep as for soldiers and the flag but if the flag is dirty it should be respectfully cleaned. And the people who point out the stains aren’t enemies of the flag.