PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul To Vote For HC Repeal?

Kathianne
07-25-2017, 11:01 AM
IF it's clean?

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/25/paul-ill-vote-proceed-obamacare-repeal/

Please note the qualifies on the last tweet — “If that’s the plan…” The Senate is just a few hours from taking the vote on a motion to proceed on a bill, and members still don’t know what it contains. I’m so old that I remember when “you have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it” was a criticism on the Right rather than a strategy. What’s the plan for the MTP — a red rose delivered to whichever Senator gets their version of ObamaCare repeal in the legislation that’s coming up for the vote?

That’s not to dismiss the significance of Paul’s decision, however. Most calculations on the MTP have put Paul in the ‘nay’ column, which meant that McConnell could only lose one more Republican. It’s why John McCain risked his health to come back to DC for these votes. Paul’s flip allows McConnell more breathing room, even if Paul will almost certainly vote against any final version that could possibly get 50 votes. Just to keep score, here’s where McConnell stood before Paul’s tweetstorm:

With Paul saying yes, it also puts more pressure on Lee, Moran, and maybe Portman to come along. Otherwise they run the risk of seeming more extreme-libertarian than Paul, which is somewhat akin to being more Catholic than the Pope. (Let’s not get into that here, please.) The promise of debating more generous Medicaid subsidies and other pet amendments should get the rest of the caucus on board, except perhaps Susan Collins, but McConnell can afford to lose her now. And maybe if McConnell gives her the opportunity to strip Planned Parenthood defunding via amendment, Collins might even come around.

What exactly will be the bill’s final form, assuming a Senate debate takes place? NBC bets on a “skinny repeal” (http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senate-sets-sights-skinny-repeal-obamacare-tuesday-s-voting-n786296) that can pass muster for reconciliation:

jimnyc
07-25-2017, 11:17 AM
If they can reel in Rand Paul, he may get others to come across as well. I still believe it will fail as well. I still don't understand why you have a few members - they make their issues known - why not work with those few amount and make some concessions? I don't know if it's Mitch, or Ryan or whomever, bit whoever is in charge in congress sucks - take the lead and compromise for once!

Kathianne
07-25-2017, 11:19 AM
If they can reel in Rand Paul, he may get others to come across as well. I still believe it will fail as well. I still don't understand why you have a few members - they make their issues known - why not work with those few amount and make some concessions? I don't know if it's Mitch, or Ryan or whomever, bit whoever is in charge in congress sucks - take the lead and compromise for once!

It seems to be the Medicaid part, many want to reduce or eliminate if from the HC act, others want it to stay or expand.

jimnyc
07-25-2017, 11:21 AM
It seems to be the Medicaid part, many want to reduce or eliminate if from the HC act, others want it to stay or expand.

That's what I said about a week ago, that this was all about medicaid for a few members.

Trump should bus them all in again. Act like "House". Write down the numbers from the opposing members. Come to a compromise with all members present. Make those changes. Finally vote it in.

Kathianne
07-25-2017, 11:24 AM
That's what I said about a week ago, that this was all about medicaid for a few members.

Trump should bus them all in again. Act like "House". Write down the numbers from the opposing members. Come to a compromise with all members present. Make those changes. Finally vote it in.

I don't think he'll get the 'medicaid' should be separate crowd to go along.