PDA

View Full Version : Trump and Andrew Jackson

jimnyc
07-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I never knew of the similarities until coming across this article. I'm no historian, that's for sure!

---

Trump, Jackson's Anti-Establishment Similarities Continue to Grow

He is perhaps the richest president in American history.

He is cantankerous, unpredictable, disruptive.

He hates the media and is openly at war with them. Meanwhile, the media have begun to attack his own family. He is secretly trying to buy his own media properties with plans to fight back.

He is at war with the Senate, including members from his own party. They retaliate by blocking some of his appointments.

He can't trust his own cabinet, who he accuses of undermining him. This includes some of his most loyal, original supporters.

Behind it all is his campaign to "drain the swamp" and end what he sees as insider corruption, using the government to line their pockets.

I am speaking, of course, about Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States.

I was one of the first students of history to call attention to the uncanny comparisons between the populist Andrew Jackson and Donald Trump. This was shared years ago in an interview with Neil Cavuto. Two weeks later it was written up in a New York Times article. Now, with the open dialogue between President Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, it's time to take another look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3NBIGRGkM

Some would argue that George Washington was actually more wealthy, comparisons are subjective. But still, Andrew Jackson was very rich.

Andrew Jackson blamed the newspapers for the death of his wife. Journalists wrote stories about Rachel Jackson, accusing her of being an adulterer and bigamist. The devout, religious Rachel was protected from these stories but finally found them during a shopping trip in Nashville. She was trying to buy a dress for the inauguration. Her girlfriends tried to keep her away from the stacks of old newspapers laying around the shops but she was riveted.

Rachel went into a deep funk and died before the inauguration. She never wore her inaugural dress and she never set foot in the White House.

The Senate quarreled with Jackson and for the first time in American history, refused to approve a presidents' cabinet nominee.

Furious with his outspoken attacks, they officially censured him in 1834.

Jackson became so estranged from his own cabinet, each of which had their own political entanglements, that he started meeting secretly in a back room of the White House with some informal friends that he trusted. This included an army major, two editors of newspapers who helped advise him on fighting back at his print media tormentors, a sympathetic U.S. Senator, and his personal secretary, among others.

Rest here - http://www.newsmax.com/DougWead/donald-trump-andrew-jackson-washington-dc/2017/07/26/id/803907/

darin
07-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Interesting as all heck!