PDA

View Full Version : Can Kelly Quell The Chaos?

Kathianne
08-01-2017, 01:27 PM
A good list, I think:

https://www.axios.com/axios-am-2467823391.html

Booting Mooch was the easy part — hardly a fair fight for a four-star general.Here are five factors that'll help determine how the history books (and imagine how many there'll be!) treat White House Chief of Staff John Kelly:

Can he attract hefty new talent? (And how long can he keep the few gems that he has?) One of the corners this White House has painted itself into is the inability to get sane, successful, proficient Republicans to join the Trump show, either to fill vacant slots or as replacements in the coming wave of departures (which happens after Year 1, regardless of who is president).
Can he engineer a big Hill win? Kelly is experienced in working the Senate from his days as the Marine Corps commandant's legislative assistant (2004-07), and he 's going to find extreme unhappiness with this White House's approach to policy, messaging, strategy and tactics.
Can he shield POTUS from Mueller? We're going to have document and interview requests, perhaps pleas of the Fifth by people close to Trump. The special counsel has a rich new vein to exploit with today's WashPost front-pager (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-dictated-sons-misleading-statement-on-meeting-with-russian-lawyer/2017/07/31/04c94f96-73ae-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html)(denied by Trump's legal team): "Flying home from Germany on July 8 aboard Air Force One, Trump personally dictated a statement in which Trump Jr. said that he and the Russian lawyer had 'primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children.'"
Can he mobilize this thinly staffed, inexperienced administration for a genuine crisis? The fact that there hasn't been a transcendent national security event, at home or aboard, is a miracle that can't last. With the military provocation by North Korea and the diplomatic aggression by Russia, he may get his chance quickly.
Can he restrain President Trump from petty tussles, pointless tweets and random self-indulgences? Kelly has certainly marked his territory. But Trump is the ultimate boss. And as we've been telling you for a year: If there's one guy who's not changing, it's the 70-year-old billionaire with his name on the building.

Be smart: People in the room tell me that Kelly's first test will be when something bad happens and POTUS wants to react, when he'd be better off holding his fire.

And Jonathan Swan adds: Kelly is an almost perfect lab test of whether a Trump White House can be functional. He has all the ingredients to succeed: He's been granted unprecedented authority (for Trump), he's revered by all internally and has no dog in the factional wars in the West Wing. If he fails, we'll know this White House is truly ungovernable.

Keeper quote ... An eternal Trump truth, tweeted (https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/892066897319088128) post-Mooch by Maggie Haberman: "There are two types of non-family members in Trumpworld. Permanents & instruments. Sometimes instruments mistakenly think they're permanents."

Kathianne
08-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Related to the above, lots of talk about the Ivanka Tweet from yesterday: https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/892067409095426048/photo/1

'serving alongside John Kelly'...

jimnyc
08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Related to the above, lots of talk about the Ivanka Tweet from yesterday: https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/892067409095426048/photo/1

'serving alongside John Kelly'...

I would think pretty much all staff in the WH can consider themselves working alongside Kelly now. At least anyone there that has any type of title.

People have been jumping on Ivanka from day one, looking for any reason to jump on her (not you). IMO, there's nothing to this. She was recognizing that she gets to serve alongside an American hero. I'm sure some would like to think she meant she is somehow the equivalent, or the same as him. But I simply don't see that. I'm only guessing, but I would guess folks in the military would often say they had the liberty of serving alongside so and so, even when not the same rank as one another. IMO, it was nothing but a sign of respect.

Kathianne
08-01-2017, 01:43 PM
I would think pretty much all staff in the WH can consider themselves working alongside Kelly now. At least anyone there that has any type of title.

People have been jumping on Ivanka from day one, looking for any reason to jump on her (not you). IMO, there's nothing to this. She was recognizing that she gets to serve alongside an American hero. I'm sure some would like to think she meant she is somehow the equivalent, or the same as him. But I simply don't see that. I'm only guessing, but I would guess folks in the military would often say they had the liberty of serving alongside so and so, even when not the same rank as one another. IMO, it was nothing but a sign of respect.

I hope so, it's surely not a fight Kelly would want to have. That's the problem with 'family,' they aren't just staff and can pull out the family card at will. Now if she and Jared see themselves as public servants, (at work), then there won't be any issues regarding who's the keeper of the door.

gabosaurus
08-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Not gonna happen. The "family card" will continue to be played. Trump will still meddle behind Kelly's back.
I admire Kelly. He's a great general and a great leader. That is why I believe he will butt heads with Trump, sooner than later.
I think Kelly will resign before taking BS from the Trump family.

jimnyc
08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Not gonna happen. The "family card" will continue to be played. Trump will still meddle behind Kelly's back.
I admire Kelly. He's a great general and a great leader. That is why I believe he will butt heads with Trump, sooner than later.
I think Kelly will resign before taking BS from the Trump family.

Sure thing, and it's been happening a TON so far, hence you saying "continue". :laugh: Truth is, there is NOTHING there except the following of Ivanka and whining - over NOTHING.

But please continue. As I told someone else, this type of whining about here only reinforces to some of us how much it bugs you.

NightTrain
08-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I think Kelly is a fine choice and I have confidence in him.

I just hope his replacement at DHS is as competent as he is.