PDA

View Full Version : Trump to Nieto: Border wall not really that important

gabosaurus
08-03-2017, 01:05 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/03/donald-trump-mexico-australia-call-transcripts-border-wall

Donald Trump suggested his demand for payment for a border wall with Mexico was merely a political ploy, and told Mexico’s president his refusal to pay should not be mentioned in public.

The news opened Trump to charges of hypocrisy and letting down his support base. A border wall paid for by Mexico was Trump’s signature issue in his run for the White House, as crowds at campaign rallies joined call-and-response routines and Trump railed against undocumented Mexican migrants for what he said was their predilection for crime.

But in a phone conversation with Enrique Peña Nieto on 27 January, a week after Trump’s inauguration as president, Trump said: “From an economic issue, it is the least important thing we were talking about.”

He added: “Psychologically, it means something.”

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Sure, and exactly why money is going into it, pieces started and bids put in... It's getting started, and that's what matters. :)

NightTrain
08-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Tsk.

In his discussion with President Peña Nieto, Mr. Trump insists Mexico is going to have to pay for the wall.

He talks about the trade deficit the U.S. has with Mexico, and mentions how America would be willing to stop the criminal gangs in Mexico, that Nieto has failed to address.

The criticism POTUS is already facing from CNN and the like is the line: “Believe it or not, this is the least important thing that we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important talk about”.

But they stop reading the transcript there. President Trump wasn’t speaking about how he doesn’t believe the wall is important, he was talking about the dollar value of it. Finish reading the paragraph, CNN, and be honest. Trump goes on: “But in terms of dollars – or pesos – it is the least important thing. I know how to build very inexpensively, so it will be much lower than these numbers I am being presented with, and it will be a better wall and it will look nice. And it will do the job”.

He asked Nieto repeatedly not to publicly refuse to pay for the wall — as the start of a negotiation between the two nations. This is an entirely reasonable position to take, but already the left is trying to claim the President is simply trying to save face. In reality, he’s trying to save capital (quite normal) on the issue, while suggesting Mexico get their heads around having to eventually pay for the wall.

In fact he even says that, while the press is trying to pretend he didn’t. He literally said, during the call: “I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to.”

In brief, the calls show Trump as consistent, not what the media is pretending them to show. Is anyone surprised the very fake news continues?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/03/trump-transcripts-reveal-man-committed-private-public-maga/

How's your fake news holding up, Gabby?

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Tsk.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/03/trump-transcripts-reveal-man-committed-private-public-maga/

Wait, wait, so he wasn't even speaking of the wall itself being important...? LOL Why did I reply without reading entirely and doing a search. :laugh:

NightTrain
08-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Wait, wait, so he wasn't even speaking of the wall itself being important...? LOL Why did I reply without reading entirely and doing a search. :laugh:

I was waiting for someone to post the bullshit story.
Gabby didn't disappoint and I didn't have to wait long. :coffee:

revelarts
08-03-2017, 02:18 PM
so Donald... "the best deal maker, believe me"... Trump IS getting Mexico to pay for the wall then?

right?

He didn't just say Crap on the campaign trail to stir people up.

Or if he did ...it doesn't matter IF HE DOES IT.

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 02:31 PM
so Donald... "the best deal maker, believe me"... Trump IS getting Mexico to pay for the wall then?

right?

This has been over a million times already. Most of us knew what he meant and how it would ultimately be Mexico paying, even if it was over time, remittances and other ways. Running with the deal maker funny stuff and all makes no difference. There was NO thought that they would hand over a check on day one, never was that I'm aware of.

His planning and words have already brought down the illegal immigration in a huge manner.

And it WOULD be them paying in the long run. Nothing really complicated about that at all. The bids have came and pieces started. The only thing standing in the way is congress, with no reason to do so other than rhetoric.

The plan was FANTASTIC on the campaign trail, and I think exactly the same today.

Something I was taught in management over the years... you have short term fixes and long term fixes. All look fine thus far. But congress or others can't sit back and watch and laugh, and then further laugh and blame if an idea fails that they forced to fail.

Outside of that, I'm thrilled to see the numbers going down so much regarding illegal immigration. I'm all for various other ways to be used in protecting our country from illegals and the problems they bring.

And... it sounds to me like he wants to do 'exactly' what he campaigned on. One can't always blame a candidate for being unable implement a plan, when others work against him/her.

gabosaurus
08-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Tsk.

There is nothing fake about it. Breitbart, as is their policy, is doing a different interpretation of the transcript. You can read it for yourself and see that Trump is backing off his rhetoric with Nieto.
I have no doubt that Trump will move forward with his plans for a wall. But with U.S. taxpayers footing the bill. And I doubt Congress will approve.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/

NightTrain
08-03-2017, 05:22 PM
There is nothing fake about it. Breitbart, as is their policy, is doing a different interpretation of the transcript. You can read it for yourself and see that Trump is backing off his rhetoric with Nieto.
I have no doubt that Trump will move forward with his plans for a wall. But with U.S. taxpayers footing the bill. And I doubt Congress will approve.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/

From your own link :

"The only thing I will ask you though is on the wall, you and I both have a political problem. My people stand up and say, “Mexico will pay for the wall” and your people probably say something in a similar but slightly different language. But the fact is we are both in a little bit of a political bind because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to. I have been talking about it for a two year period, and the reason I say they are going to pay for the wall is because Mexico has made a fortune out of the stupidity of U.S. trade representatives. They are beating us at trade and they are beating us at the border, and they are killing us with drugs. Now I know you are not involved with that, but regardless of who is making all the money, billions and billions and billions – some people say more – is being made on drug trafficking that is coming through Mexico. Some people say that the business of drug trafficking is bigger than the business of taking our factory jobs. So what I would like to recommend is – if we are going to have continued dialogue – we will work out the wall. They are going to say, “who is going to pay for the wall, Mr. President?” to both of us, and we should both say, “we will work it out.” It will work out in the formula somehow. As opposed to you saying, “we will not pay” and me saying, “we will not pay.”

Because you and I are both at a point now where we are both saying we are not to pay for the wall. From a political standpoint, that is what we will say. We cannot say that anymore because if you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that. I am willing to say that we will work it out, but that means it will come out in the wash and that is okay. But you cannot say anymore that the United States is going to pay for the wall. I am just going to say that we are working it out. Believe it or not, this is the least important thing that we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important talk about. But in terms of dollars – or pesos – it is the least important thing. I know how to build very inexpensively, so it will be much lower than these numbers I am being presented with, and it will be a better wall and it will look nice. And it will do the job.

You know, you look at Israel – Israel has a wall and everyone said do not build a wall, walls do not work — 99.9 percent of people trying to come across that wall cannot get across and more. Bibi Netanyahu told me the wall works. We have also hired at least 15,000 more men and women on the border – patrolling the border very carefully. We just cannot play the game of stupidity anymore. I would love to continue talking. When Jared said, “the deal is off,” I was glad. Jared has a great feeling for the plan, though I know it would be politically much more popular in Mexico and, I think, it will be much less popular for me, to be honest. I think the most popular thing for me would just to put a tariff on the border. But I am willing to see if they can finish up a plan. From what I hear, they have great discussions and it looks good. I guess they have to wait 90 days – there might be a statutory period or something like that and that might be too bad. But that is okay, so we will get Congress involved and let them work through the statutory period. If you want to do that, Enrique, I am good with doing that."

You may want to read your own links. This isn't the first time you clearly didn't read your own.

I'm wondering when you're finally going to start thinking for yourself instead of skimming a bullshit headline and taking it as gospel.

revelarts
08-03-2017, 05:36 PM
This has been over a million times already. Most of us knew what he meant and how it would ultimately be Mexico paying, even if it was over time, remittances and other ways. Running with the deal maker funny stuff and all makes no difference. There was NO thought that they would hand over a check on day one, never was that I'm aware of.

His planning and words have already brought down the illegal immigration in a huge manner.

And it WOULD be them paying in the long run. Nothing really complicated about that at all. The bids have came and pieces started. The only thing standing in the way is congress, with no reason to do so other than rhetoric.

The plan was FANTASTIC on the campaign trail, and I think exactly the same today.

Something I was taught in management over the years... you have short term fixes and long term fixes. All look fine thus far. But congress or others can't sit back and watch and laugh, and then further laugh and blame if an idea fails that they forced to fail.

Outside of that, I'm thrilled to see the numbers going down so much regarding illegal immigration. I'm all for various other ways to be used in protecting our country from illegals and the problems they bring.

And... it sounds to me like he wants to do 'exactly' what he campaigned on. One can't always blame a candidate for being unable implement a plan, when others work against him/her.
sorry Jim but Doland T said he's the BESt deal maker BELIEVE ME.

he can implement a plan... BELEIVE ME... because he has smart people. And Mexico WILL pay for it.
I he doesn't get the Mexican gov't and the congress to follow through then either he's failed ...so far... or maybe he never really planned to get it done... maybe HE knew it wouldn't happen in the 1st place.

All are options on the table at his point.
But what he said is that He'd build a great wall and the Mexicans would pay for it.
He added no qualifiers or caveats as you have Jim. maybe he didn't go to you management training.
seems to me he's a carnival barker at times, just like many other lying politicians who promise things just to get the voters out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1dIGL0XUAA18Y7.jpg

Unless he meant former Mexicans... who are now U.S. tax payers ...along with the rest of us.

may 17, 2017
....As the president was preparing to walk onstage, chants of "Build that wall!" echoed from the audience in the rally hall.
"Can you hear that, John?" The president asked. "Believe me, that's what they want."
"Do you think they care about how it's paid for?" Dickerson asked.
"Oh, Mexico is going to pay," the president replied.
Dickerson followed up, "A hundred percent – the whole thing?"
"A hundred percent," the president replied. "They're going to be happy with it. They'll be very happy to pay."...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-will-be-very-happy-to-pay-for-border-wall-trump-says/
you may not care how he does it or who pays for it Jim but the fact is HE SAYS the above.
Either he's a miracle worker, delusional, an idiot or a liar on this issue Jim.

PostmodernProphet
08-03-2017, 05:42 PM

right?

I'd say, look at it in eight years.......see if he's DONE it......

revelarts
08-03-2017, 05:43 PM
And I have to ask folks. Will you feel safer once a Wall is built? will you give a sigh of relief that and say "NOW thank GOODNESS the boarder is truly secure!" And not be concerned about immigrants, legal or illegal anymore? Will people stop harassing Spanish speakers in grocery stores and stop telling them to "go back to Mexico" and "speak english"?

Will a wall be enough or will we have to build a wall along the all the states that boarder the Gulf of Mexico and a pacific coast wall along the lower half of CA to?

PostmodernProphet
08-03-2017, 05:43 PM

sources----CNN-----humor........

PostmodernProphet
08-03-2017, 05:44 PM
And I have to ask folks. Will you feel safer once a Wall is built?
yes - thanks for asking.......

revelarts
08-03-2017, 05:46 PM
I'd say, look at it in eight years.......see if he's DONE it......

His 4 years will be like 8 or 16 of other presidents it will be terrific believe me. so he won't need 8.
Because he's a smart guy and hires good people. and other people don't know how to make deals they make stupid deals with other countries.
4 years tops as president. and America will be great again.

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 06:09 PM
sorry Jim but Doland T said he's the BESt deal maker BELIEVE ME.

he can implement a plan... BELEIVE ME... because he has smart people. And Mexico WILL pay for it.
I he doesn't get the Mexican gov't and the congress to follow through then either he's failed ...so far... or maybe he never really planned to get it done... maybe HE knew it wouldn't happen in the 1st place.

All are options on the table at his point.
But what he said is that He'd build a great wall and the Mexicans would pay for it.
He added no qualifiers or caveats as you have Jim. maybe he didn't go to you management training.
seems to me he's a carnival barker at times, just like many other lying politicians who promise things just to get the voters out.

Unless he meant former Mexicans... who are now U.S. tax payers ...along with the rest of us.

you may not care how he does it or who pays for it Jim but the fact is HE SAYS the above.
Either he's a miracle worker, delusional, an idiot or a liar on this issue Jim.

I never stated that I didn't care how he does it, nor stated that I didn't care who pays for it. Not only that, but I did in fact state many times about the how, and the paying. Perhaps you don't like it, but no need to turn around and state I don't care about this or that.

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 06:11 PM

OF COURSE he would be asking congress for the funding, that's how and what I stated all along. And CNN posting such doesn't mean Trump stated that Mexico wouldn't ultimately pay. It simply means that he was going to congress for funding.

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 06:14 PM
And I have to ask folks. Will you feel safer once a Wall is built? will you give a sigh of relief that and say "NOW thank GOODNESS the boarder is truly secure!" And not be concerned about immigrants, legal or illegal anymore? Will people stop harassing Spanish speakers in grocery stores and stop telling them to "go back to Mexico" and "speak english"?

Will a wall be enough or will we have to build a wall along the all the states that boarder the Gulf of Mexico and a pacific coast wall along the lower half of CA to?

I will feel much better as a result, and not for any of those reasons of course. I think it's great for a lot of reasons stated over time.

Legal or illegal? Not sure what legal immigrants have to do with a wall built to deter and prevent illegals from crossing the border?

Harassment? The wall has nothing to do with any of that, never did. Tossing in things like that for a reason? I don't understand your questioning?

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 06:19 PM
His 4 years will be like 8 or 16 of other presidents it will be terrific believe me. so he won't need 8.
Because he's a smart guy and hires good people. and other people don't know how to make deals they make stupid deals with other countries.
4 years tops as president. and America will be great again.

Still better than the racist in chief or the Clinton Criminal alternative, by a mile. But if running with rhetoric and repeating lines over and over from the campaign get your willy wet, so be it! :thumb:

revelarts
08-03-2017, 06:33 PM
I will feel much better as a result, and not for any of those reasons of course. I think it's great for a lot of reasons stated over time.

Legal or illegal? Not sure what legal immigrants have to do with a wall built to deter and prevent illegals from crossing the border?

Harassment? The wall has nothing to do with any of that, never did. Tossing in things like that for a reason? I don't understand your questioning?

I toss things like that in because SOME Trump supporters have harrassed people in grocery stores and elsewhere over language and nationality and tossed in verbiage that Trump is going to fix um good and the like. And they have no idea ... or seemed to care... if they are legal or illegal.
I know you're not among that crowd. But they do stand among Trump supporters.
If you want to disown them or assume they are outliers among Trump supporters that's fine.
As long as you do the same for crazy Obama supporters or BLM types that say things that are stupid as well.

no need to bring those folks up among the majority of generally sane folks looking for fair law and order on either side right?
no reason.

jimnyc
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I toss things like that in because SOME Trump supporters have harrassed people in grocery stores and elsewhere with over language and nationality and tossed in verbiage that Trump is going to fix um good and the like. And they have no idea ... or seemed to care... if they are legal or illegal.
I know you're not among that crowd. But they do stand among Trump supporters.
If you want to disown them or assume they are outliers among Trump supporters that's fine.
As long as you do the same for crazy Obama supporters or BLM types that say things that are stupid as well.

no need to bring those folks up among the majority of generally sane folks looking for fair law and order on either side right?
no reason.

I always disown EVERYONE!! :laugh: That's how I roll. :)

No, seriously though. I don't speak with or for any crowd or any other person. I don't want to be part of a group. If one does, then as soon as they say something inappropriate, then one gets lumped in with the masses. I don't like to be a part of the masses. I prefer to just think by myself and make a decision on each situation on my own. With a bazillion issues out there, there's no way that anyone can agree with me on every last issue. There's no way any politician can, for that fact!

I guess you can say I disown or disavow - based on the fact I never wanted to be affiliated with anyone or a group to begin with.

But I see your point. :)