PDA

View Full Version : Emanuel would rather posture for liberals than enforce the law - or fix his city

jimnyc
08-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Chicago is a great place, as Kath knows best. But they have some serious issues to deal with in the past decade, starting with crime of course. But as this article points out, he's more interested in the posturing. He should be hitting illegals and gangs from every angle from the minute he got the gig.

---

Chicago Mayor Emanuel would rather posture for liberal elites than enforce the law - or fix his city

The song Chicago, made famous by Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra, refers to Chicago as a “toddlin’ town.” Sadly today, thanks to decades of dreadful leadership, Chicago more resembles a “tottering” town, as in a place nearing collapse.

Let me preface my indictment of Chicago and particularly Mayor Rahm Emanuel with the important disclaimer that I love this city and I’ve raised a family here for two decades. If cut, I would bleed the orange and navy of the Monsters of the Midway, my beloved Chicago Bears.

But no amount of hometown affinity can color the reality of a city in systemic decline. The U.S. Census Bureau reports that from 2015 to 2016, Cook County – where Chicago is located – lost more people than any county in America. A U-Haul rental from Chicago to Texas can cost as much as six times more than the return trip, an indicator of the heavy outward flow of people. It’s no wonder people vote with their feet and escape the endemic corruption, escalating taxes, and rampant crime. As I’ve argued repeatedly on Fox News, Chicago is certainly the most dangerous place in the developed world, with over 2,200 shootings already this year.

So what is Mayor Emanuel doing to address this migration out of our city? How is he ameliorating the mammoth $838 million property tax increase that’s crushing disposable incomes in our city? Is he searching for solutions for the most under-funded pension system in America, obligations that will cripple our budget in just a few years? Is Rahm empowering police to stem the bloody carnage that afflicts the streets, especially in predominantly black neighborhoods?

Rest here - http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/07/chicago-mayor-emanuel-would-rather-posture-for-liberal-elites-than-enforce-law-or-fix-his-city.html

Kathianne
08-11-2017, 04:07 PM
While I don't disagree with what he's said, the problems go much further than the past decade, much further. Somehow during the early 80's Illinois went from purple to blue, big time. What ailed Chicago/Cook County, spread throughout the 5 collar counties too. What used to be a conservative counterweight to Cook, turned purple. In national elections, mostly blue. Now all blue.

The suburban counties are still well funded and fiscally responsible, unlike Chicago. However, there has become 0 difference between the Republicans and the Democrats in Springfield and they all dance to Madigan's tune. Thus we see not only Chicago's mayor flipping off the federal government, but spending the money to sue, while laying off police, teacher's, etc. Sure in Chicago the people may cheer thumbing their nose at Trump/Sessions, but those in Springfield should be saying, "Hey f*****! You know you're not going to win this, stop spending money you don't have! We can't afford it!"

Meanwhile the suburbs for the most part are opening their schools, running their cities, but without the money they have coming from Springfield, Chicago is taking nearly all, while laying off school personnel, including nearly 300 teachers.

The rural districts, which do NOT have the money of the collar counties? They are just screwed and that's most of the state.

jimnyc
08-11-2017, 04:12 PM
At least you can view from afar while you no longer have to deal with the 'windy city', the snow and the cold, and the godfather! :)

Well said. I knew you would offer some perspective on things.

Kathianne
08-11-2017, 04:15 PM
At least you can view from afar while you no longer have to deal with the 'windy city', the snow and the cold, and the godfather! :)

Well said. I knew you would offer some perspective on things.

It's only going to get worse. IL taxes have always been high, but in the past 15 years, the services have gone way down, roads crumbling, etc. Too much is going to finance charges, not on where it should be going. The piper is about to be paid, but those with the means, are fleeing. Thus the flight from the collar counties will to IN, WI or further, and for the greater part, that's where the 'money is.' IL is going to be the very rich and the very poor.

jimnyc
08-11-2017, 04:17 PM
It's only going to get worse. IL taxes have always been high, but in the past 15 years, the services have gone way down, roads crumbling, etc. Too much is going to finance charges, not on where it should be going. The piper is about to be paid, but those with the means, are fleeing. Thus the flight from the collar counties will to IN, WI or further, and for the greater part, that's where the 'money is.' IL is going to be the very rich and the very poor.

From an outsiders perspective, it's the crime there that gets to me. And it doesn't seem as if it's being addressed or attacked properly, as the problems, the murders, they continue.

Black Diamond
08-11-2017, 04:20 PM
From an outsiders perspective, it's the crime there that gets to me. And it doesn't seem as if it's being addressed or attacked properly, as the problems, the murders, they continue.
Blame the guns.

jimnyc
08-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Blame the guns.

Bad little guns, you're all grounded! :thumb:

Kathianne
08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

The crime for the most part is gang related and the gang leaders are connected. It's Chicago. Most shootings and nearly all murders are confined to the South and West sides, which are where the gangs live. They don't have the commonsense to not dirty their own turf. Nearly all mafia folks live in River Forest, Elmhurst, and Elmwood Park. The first two being the top dogs, the last being the muscle. All have very low crime rates. ;)