PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bennett sits for anthem as well

jimnyc
08-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Michael Bennett from the Seahawks is the next to draw attention by sitting. :(

---

Michael Bennett: Why I chose not to stand during the national anthem

Sunday, Michael Bennett chose not to stand during the national anthem prior to the Seattle Seahawks preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers. Here, in his own words, is why, as told to Yahoo Sports’ Jordan Schultz.

I’ve been thinking about sitting during the national anthem for a minute, especially after everything that’s been happening the last couple weeks. It’s just been so crazy right now, and I felt like the conversation wasn’t over. I felt like this needed to be a continuous thing that’s going on. I know it offends a lot of people, that’s why I kept it straightforward. I love America, I love hot dogs, I love everything about it.

I thought about it right up to the beginning of the game, and finally decided not to stand because it just felt right.

Everybody’s supportive as usual, because people know I genuinely care about people and care about the way that the world is. I think I’m just a regular human being that’s wiling to be vulnerable in that way.

Not a lot of people are willing to stand up and say what they believe in. They might say they love the Seahawks, they might say they love the Boston Red Sox, they might say they love Mercedes cars, but not everybody is willing to say that they hate injustice. It’s kind of one of those things where you’ll be ridiculed if you bring something like that up in any place, so it’s hard to do.

I really had to think about what I was doing. It was one of those things like, ‘Yeah, you’re really doing it. You’re really putting yourself out there to be attacked. You’re really stepping out. Are you ready for what’s going to happen? Are you ready for what people are going to say?’

So far, everything’s been positive.

Going forward, I want to continuously just push the message of equality. I want to reach that level where people are connected and understanding people and reaching for that uncomfortable spot where I’m understanding somebody that’s being different. Going out in the community, people trying to change the community. People lending a helping hand, lending things to other people to give them the opportunity.

My goal, my hope, is more action. Say less, do more.

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-bennett-chose-not-stand-national-anthem-170649397.html

michiganFats
08-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Looks like somebody wasn't getting enough attention.

Abbey Marie
08-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Mr. Bennett can really make a statement, by refusing his paycheck from the organization that plays the anthem.

:laugh2:

darin
08-16-2017, 12:46 AM
Mike Bennett is a weirdo and I love him. Except he's protesting something that a) doesn't exist widespread - it MAY be situational but not systemic. b) Nobody can fix