PDA

View Full Version : List of All the Confederate Monuments They're Attempting to Remove

jimnyc
08-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Pete stated in another thread:

Because I'm tired of you posting stories where they claim this bullshit. Maybe a dozen or so people are calling for this, then breitbart claims it's a huge story and gets their base all riled up. It's not going to happen. If you don't see the difference in this and the confederate statues then you are just drinking the kool aid.

I disagree, and I'm going to try and keep one thread about removals of more or less anything related to 'demands'.

I believe it's a lot more than a dozen or so, and I also believe it's going to grow a lot - and will grow and grow as their demands are met and met.

I do believe, in addition to just some General Lee or Jackson monuments, you will see calls for the removals of more than just the confederacy, but things that folks on the left just disagree with, that was racist. Like the Court Justice just removed in Maryland.

Hopefully this will remain solely with confederate items and things will die down quickly. But I think it goes further than that...

The article is filled with links/references.

--

Here's a List of All the Confederate Monuments They're Attempting to Remove

In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, Baltimore removed its four Confederate monuments, including statues of Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. This action followed this weekend's events in Charlottesville, Va., when white supremacists protested the removal of a Lee statue, and events this week, when protesters vandalized Confederate statues in Durham, N.C., Louisville, Ky., and Gainesville, Fla.

Activists and government leaders are calling for more removals, while some counter protesters have organized to protect some monuments. Here is a brief summary of the monuments under attack — and those that aren't.

Monuments removed.

The movement against Confederate symbols gained momentum two years ago after avowed white supremacist Dylann Roof murdered nine African-Americans at a church in Charleston, S.C. Roof had shared a picture of himself with the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, known colloquially (if inaccurately) as the Confederate flag.

South Carolina legislators voted to remove the battle flag from Statehouse grounds, but they did not remove the memorial, which stands today.

In April, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) reported that "at least 60 ... publicly funded symbols of the Confederacy have been removed or renamed" since 2015. Last year, the group documented more than 1,500 symbols of the Confederacy in public spaces. (The SPLC is also notorious for branding Christian organizations "anti-LGBT hate groups," and even for inspiring terrorism against them, but on white supremacy, the group has more legitimacy.)

These 60 symbols seem to include restrictions on the battle flag, as the report pointed to universities and cities in Mississippi that refused to fly the state flag until it is redesigned. That list might also include Georgia's decision to strike Confederate Memorial Day and Robert E. Lee's birthday from the state's holiday calendar. The SPLC report did not mention any monuments being removed, except those in New Orleans, La.

In April, the city of New Orleans began removing its four Confederate monuments, starting with the Battle of Liberty Place monument. The city removed three statues in the dark of night: the monument to the Battle of Liberty Place, the one commemorating Gen. P.T. Beauregard, and another commemorating Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In May, New Orleans removed the final statue, one of Gen. Lee, this time in daylight and to cheers.

As previously noted, Baltimore removed four monuments Wednesday morning. These included the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the Confederate Women's Monument, a monument to Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney, and a monument to Lee and Jackson.

Monuments threatened.

Last year, the SPLC reported that there are 718 Confederate monuments and statues, nearly 300 of which are in Georgia, Virginia, or North Carolina. That count has already fallen to 710, but after this past weekend's events in Charlottesville, local leaders across the country have called for more removals.

Jim Gray, mayor of Lexington, Ky., announced on Saturday that he is "taking action to relocate the Confederate statues at the Historic Courthouse," promising to ask the city council to petition the Kentucky Military Heritage Commission to remove them.

The statues in question commemorate Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and John C. Breckinridge, the 14th vice president of the U.S. who also served as Confederate secretary of war. The proposal Gray supported would move the statues to a city park, according to The Lexington Herald-Leader.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/16/heres-a-list-of-all-the-confederate-monuments-theyre-attempting-to-remove/

michiganFats
08-16-2017, 04:38 PM
I wonder in how many of these cases there was a vote and the will of the people was to remove the monuments and in how many of these cases some politicians just decided on their own to do it after being pressured by activists.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-18-2017, 01:59 AM
I wonder in how many of these cases there was a vote and the will of the people was to remove the monuments and in how many of these cases some politicians just decided on their own to do it after being pressured by activists.
I can answer that... NONE.