PDA

View Full Version : the key role of Africans in supplying the Atlantic slave trade.

darin
08-21-2017, 01:19 AM
http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/41431

Educate yourselves. Educate your communities.

During this era, Africans and Europeans stood together as equals, companions in commerce and profit. Kings exchanged respectful letters across color lines and addressed each other as colleagues. Natives of the two continents were tied into a common economy.”2

Incomplete depictions of the Atlantic slave trade are, in fact, quite common. My 2003 study of 49 state U.S. history standards revealed that not one of these guides to classroom content even mentioned the key role of Africans in supplying the Atlantic slave trade.3 In Africa itself, however, the slave trade is remembered quite differently. Nigerians, for example, explicitly teach about their own role in the trade:

Where did the supply of slaves come from? First, the Portuguese themselves kidnapped some Africans. But the bulk of the supply came from the Nigerians. These Nigerian middlemen moved to the interior where they captured other Nigerians who belonged to other communities. The middlemen also purchased many of the slaves from the people in the interior . . . . Many Nigerian middlemen began to depend totally on the slave trade and neglected every other business and occupation. The result was that when the trade was abolished [by England in 1807] these Nigerians began to protest. As years went by and the trade collapsed such Nigerians lost their sources of income and became impoverished. 4

In Ghana, politician and educator Samuel Sulemana Fuseini has acknowledged that his Asante ancestors accumulated their great wealth by abducting, capturing, and kidnapping Africans and selling them as slaves. Likewise, Ghanaian diplomat Kofi Awoonor has written: “I believe there is a great psychic shadow over Africa, and it has much to do with our guilt and denial of our role in the slave trade. We too are blameworthy in what was essentially one of the most heinous crimes in human history.”5

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-21-2017, 05:58 AM
http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/41431

Educate yourselves. Educate your communities.

I graduated from high school 44 years ago and that information was taught in our history books. Of course being from the South we were at least a couple decades behind the progressives times of the so-called liberal/dem enlightenment. About 15/20 years later even our history books --had been vastly re-written to meet the new progressive agenda(read liberal agenda)..
All this rewriting history and rapid demise of education system started in the 1960's and by the mid-70's was going full bore, IMHO.
BY THE 90'S IT WAS PRETTY MUCH ACCOMPLISHED, AT LEAST TO THE LEVEL THEY COULD GET TO..
Now if they get their way, they will go into the next phase.
A phase that we old timers are not likely to sit by , ignore and close our eyes to.
You see, we were correctly taught that there are things that are worth dying to protect..
And what is scary for the liberal/leftist/dem destroyers is we old timers know how to fight and how to protect our families(especially true of we Southerners--tis why they despise us so!)..

I so dearly love being despised by such ignorant, low-life cowardly bastards!! I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They fear me and my kind and that's so, so , so damn sweet......... --Tyr

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 07:36 AM
I graduated from high school 44 years ago and that information was taught in our history books.

Me too except for me it was about 30 years ago not 44 but I was taught the same thing. Now, they don't teach that, now it's all about the evil Europeans kidnapping Africans.

pete311
08-21-2017, 07:50 AM
I've been to west africa (ghana and senegal) and seen the slave markets and slaver mansions. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here.

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 08:01 AM
I've been to west africa (ghana and senegal) and seen the slave markets and slaver mansions. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here.

You saw the slave markets...in the modern age... and aren't sure what anyone is saying about the slave trade.

You're special, the only thing anyone can do is let that stand on it's own.

pete311
08-21-2017, 08:18 AM
You saw the slave markets...in the modern age... and aren't sure what anyone is saying about the slave trade.

You're special, the only thing anyone can do is let that stand on it's own.

You really fit in nice here. Carbon copy of the other assholes.

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 08:20 AM

Oh my God...I saw the slave trade, the one you guys were talking about. I have no idea why you think what you do.

Whatever.

pete311
08-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Oh my God...I saw the slave trade, the one you guys were talking about. I have no idea why you think what you do.

Whatever.

I have no idea what darin thinks because all he did was link and quote. No commentary. No purpose for the thread. I'm asking what the point of the thread is.

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 08:40 AM
I have no idea what darin thinks because all he did was link and quote. No commentary. No purpose for the thread. I'm asking what the point of the thread is.

Then you didn't read his link and shouldn't be commenting.

Why are you commenting if you didn't read his link by the way?

darin
08-21-2017, 09:03 AM

The context is "The key role of Africans in the Atlantic Slave Trade" circa 1800s. The point is: People want to 'blame' the USA for the slave trade (the same trade the USA was the first major power to abolish) and not hold-accountable the very willing suppliers; those who practiced and still practice slavery. "The Man" is not my enemy, as a black man. The slaves in the USA were not brought here, by and large, by white folk just harvesting slaves...they were captured into slavery by Africans and sold to whichever source of Profit could be found.

Sometimes you're obtuse and I can't figure it out.

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 09:28 AM
The context is "The key role of Africans in the Atlantic Slave Trade" circa 1800s. The point is: People want to 'blame' the USA for the slave trade (the same trade the USA was the first major power to abolish) and not hold-accountable the very willing suppliers; those who practiced and still practice slavery. "The Man" is not my enemy, as a black man. The slaves in the USA were not brought here, by and large, by white folk just harvesting slaves...they were captured into slavery by Africans and sold to whichever source of Profit could be found.

You're black? Oh No, now I have to be fake polite to you :laugh:

pete311
08-21-2017, 10:35 AM

The US is to blame for the US slave trade. The black traders didn't force them on us. A slight parallel for the drug war. We fuel it with consumption.

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 10:44 AM
The US is to blame for the US slave trade. The black traders didn't force them on us. A slight parallel for the drug war. We fuel it with consumption.

You don't bother reading what anyone else writes do you?

Abbey Marie
08-21-2017, 10:55 AM

No, you are wrong. Yes, there is blame to go around. But Darin's point is that we purposely hide the fact that Africans sold their own people to us as slaves. The US is simply not solely to blame. (Should only the guy who hires a prostitute be in trouble? What about "seller" of the illegal service, the prostitute?).

Given that fact, shouldn't African Americans and other liberals be a little less condemning of the US? And/or protest a few African embassies?

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 10:56 AM
No, you are wrong. Yes, there is blame to go around. But Darin's point is that we purposely hide the fact that Africans sold their own people to us as slaves. The US is simply not solely to blame. (Should only the guy who hires a prostitute be in trouble? What about "seller" of the illegal service, the prostitute?).

Given that fact, shouldn't African Americans and other liberals be a little less condemning of the US? And/or protest a few African embassies?

Don't forget the pimp. Sounds like the West Africans back in the day played a strong pimp game.

pete311
08-21-2017, 11:08 AM

How is the African responsibility hidden?

michiganFats
08-21-2017, 11:10 AM

Don't go anywhere near a football game, ever. No one will be able to convert an extra point with you around.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-21-2017, 11:13 AM
------------------------ http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/big-tears.gif

Abbey Marie
08-21-2017, 11:13 AM

My god. Not only did you not read the link, you didn't even read Darin's quotes from the article. Or you can't understand what you've read.

If I were your English teacher, I'd fail you.

revelarts
08-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I have to say this is largely a strawman.

Tyr and another here have said they were taught about the african side of the Slave trade back in the stone age when they were in school.
I was as well back in the 70s and 80s, as the article mentioned It's been in documentaries on even the LEFTIST PBS and discovery and the history channel. Even the old MiniSeries ROOTS portrayed it. the leaders and historians of various African nations openly talk about it.
It's not Hidden. most blacks are WELL AWARE of it, we have Africans in our nieghborhoods and families and it's part the history we ARE well aware of. ALL the players in the slave trade. As one might imagine the history of slavery is not a topic that most Black American homes SHY away from.

iF any group's unware it's because they don't even ever want to talk about it.
or only want to talk about it to make excuses for it.
more than once I've heard people say things like CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON and stop talking about SLAVERY... it's OVER.
(please notice who brought it up here)

if the Article wants to straiten out few recent shabby Middle-College textbooks then GREAT. GO FOR IT. Bad History is Bad history. it needs to be called out.
But please let's not try to make it into a HIDDEN HISTORY, it's well KNOWN any in most hisotry books and in media and easily accesable to anyone.

the reason for bringing it it seems to be to make sure the BLAME is SPREAD around. So "white people in America" don't bear all the blame or gulit. But um, No one said you did. OK relax.
And look as AT said here, NO ONE here owned slaves right?
As Jim once replied to me about the clearly UNEQUAL sentencing of blacks, something to the effect... Well the BLACKS DID the CRIME so they should STILL GO to JAIL. even if others get away are never charged or even investigated.

look Do we really want to talk about acknowledging all the dark areas of history? GREAT.
Do we want to talk about the little talked about (not hidden)history of some Whites in the early 1900s rioting and killing whole black areas of towns, of running black families off of their property and taking it from them and now NOT wanting to acknowledge murders thefts. Here in AMERICA.
Do we want to talk about how the prison systems after slavery had many black men jailed for no reason and forced into slave labor, and that how the number of prisoners today working for various farms and corporations as forced labor is more than any country in the world. or placing in the history books EACH ONE of the last 300+ years of U.S. treaties with Native Americans that are to this day are being broken. And the current oppressive Federal control of what's supposed to be FREE native American territories.
Or historically all of the various native American massacres. And the "hidden" history of Columbus and his serial mass rapes, murders, slavery and thefts and practical genocide of some island people.

seems like when those issues are brought up many on the right get upset and go into HEATED denial of history mode.
And start talking about how Liberals hate America and the like rather that ACKNOWLEDGING the HISTORY.
ACKNOWLEDGING as the leaders and people of the African nations have and are doing.

sadly somehow I suspect few will be able to reply to this post without denials, attack on me and riffs on "the left".
somehow I suspect few if any will talk about how those things need to be in history books as well.
somehow I suspect some will talk about "DA MAN" though all i've talked about is HISTORICAL FACTS and current events.

Black Diamond
08-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Have England and France ever been blamed for their demand for cotton?

Black Diamond
08-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Southern cotton 1860= Saudi oil 2005

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Assssssssssssssssssssssholes???????

By that you mean, we that see your insane liberal ideology for the damn arrogant insanity that it is???

That word would definitely apply to the A-HOLE THAT FIRST PRESENTED IT, IMHO.-TYR

Black Diamond
08-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Assssssssssssssssssssssholes???????

By that you mean, we that see your insane liberal ideology for the damn arrogant insanity that it is???

That word would definitely apply to the A-HOLE THAT FIRST PRESENTED IT, IMHO.-TYR
He is PMSing again.

darin
08-22-2017, 01:26 AM
I have to say this is largely a strawman.
Blah blah blah, bunch of off-topic bullshit; victimization, lies, and other fake-facts

Dude...obtuse much?