PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post Pushes Immigration Fear Factor

red states rule
08-09-2007, 07:19 AM
It seems illegals are suffering in Colorado because of news laws denying them state services

ID law packs fear factor

Hospitals and nonprofits that help the needy say a law barring state funds for illegal immigrants has kept away those eligible for aid.
By Jennifer Brown, Allison Sherry and Elizabeth Aguilera
Denver Post Staff Writers
Article Last Updated: 08/05/2007 12:32:06 AM MDT

A homeless man tried to yank out his abscessed tooth with pliers and fishing line after he was turned away from three hospitals because he wasn't an emergency patient and had no proof of U.S. citizenship.

The leader of a nonprofit agency is worried he might have to turn away subscribers to a newspaper-reading service for the blind because some of its elderly listeners could lack identification.

And some illegal immigrants are too scared to ask for food at soup kitchens or medical care at free clinics - even those funded by private or federal money - because word has spread of a Colorado crackdown on illegal immigration.

A year after state lawmakers passed what they called the toughest illegal-immigration laws in the nation, there is no proof illegal immigrants have been caught taking advantage of taxpayers. Instead, there are abundant stories of citizens eligible for services who can't prove it because they lack the required ID.

Supporters of Colorado's get- tough stance argue, though, that it's impossible to tell how many illegal immigrants are not asking for public services because of the new laws.

for the compkete article

http://www.denverpost.com/arcade/ci_6541776

red states rule
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Ditto for the NY Times

The Misery Strategy

Published: August 9, 2007
The path the country has set on since the defeat of immigration reform in the Senate in June enshrines enforcement and punishment above all else. It is narrow, shortsighted, disruptive and self-defeating. On top of that, it won’t work.

What it will do is unleash a flood of misery upon millions of illegal immigrants. For the ideologues who have pushed the nation into this position, that is more than enough reason to plunge ahead.

The latest phase of the crackdown, expected to be announced this week, would require employers to resolve discrepancies between their employee records and those of the Social Security Administration. If the data don’t match, presumably because a worker is an illegal immigrant using a false number, the worker must be fired. There are millions of people in thousands of workplaces who could be caught in that net, and the government is promising to start dragging it zealously, with stepped-up raids around the country. “We are tough, and we are going to be even tougher,” said a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security.

Toughness is now the mantra at every level of government. The Senate had struggled for years to erect the immense framework of bipartisan, comprehensive immigration reform, coupling stricter enforcement with a citizenship path and an orderly future flow of workers. But restrictionists pushed the unwieldy structure over, and now even its architects have fled the scene.

Senator John McCain, trying to keep his presidential hopes aloft by jettisoning his courage and good sense, has leapt to the enforcement barricades, joining Senators Jon Kyl and Lindsey Graham in sponsoring a bill that is essentially a Minuteman’s to-do list of fence-building and punishments. He has shamefully repudiated his commitment to giving illegal immigrants a way to get right with the country. Senator Arlen Specter, meanwhile, wrote an op-ed article in The Washington Post titled “A Less Ambitious Approach to Immigration,” in which he endorsed the creation of a permanent noncitizen immigrant underclass, saying it is the best we can hope for until “a more hospitable America” emerges.

The federal government’s abandonment of comprehensive reform has been matched by unprecedented crackdowns at the state and local level. Lawmakers this year have introduced more than 1,400 immigration-related bills in all 50 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, and enacted 170 of them. Many of the bills severely restrict where immigrants can live and work, and leave them vulnerable to exploitation and fearful of the police. It’s the federal approach of raids and aggression, metastasized across the continent.

The country will have a long time to watch this approach as it fails. The politicians who killed the Senate bill for offering “amnesty” have never offered a workable alternative. Their one big idea is that harsh, unrelenting enforcement at the border, in the workplace and in homes and streets would dry up opportunities for illegal immigrants and eventually cause the human tide to flow backward. That would be true only if life for illegal immigrants in America could be made significantly more miserable than life in, say, rural Guatemala or the slums of Mexico City. That will take a lot of time and a lot of misery to pull that off in a country that has tolerated and profited from illegal labor for generations.

The American people cherish lawfulness but resist cruelty, and have supported reform that includes a reasonable path to earned citizenship. Their leaders have given them immigration reform as pest control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/opinion/09thu1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Pale Rider
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
A homeless man tried to yank out his abscessed tooth with pliers and fishing line after he was turned away from three hospitals because he wasn't an emergency patient and had no proof of U.S. citizenship. http://www.denverpost.com/arcade/ci_6541776

That's probably how they did it back in mexico too, until they came up here and started milking our generous system dry.

Here's my advice illegals, GO BACK TO MEXICO!

Pale Rider
08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
The path the country has set on since the defeat of immigration reform in the Senate in June enshrines enforcement and punishment above all else. It is narrow, shortsighted, disruptive and self-defeating. On top of that, it won’t work.
Absolute bullshit. It hasn't even started yet. That statement is bullshit. Just like the surge in Iraq won't work, and now we're hearing it is. This will probably work too.

What it will do is unleash a flood of misery upon millions of illegal immigrants.
Best thing I've heard in years.

Hugh Lincoln
08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I support the death penalty for journalists who repeatedly side with illegals over Americans. When have you ever seen a story about the misery they cause US?

red states rule
08-10-2007, 03:33 AM
That's probably how they did it back in mexico too, until they came up here and started milking out generous system dry.

You can't read this "news stories" without a barf bag

red states rule
08-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Absolute bullshit. It hasn't even started yet. That statement is bullshit. Just like the surge in Iraq won't work, and now we're hearing it is. This will probably work too.

Best thing I've heard in years.

The last thing the liberal media wants (and the left and some RINO's) is the for the US to enforce the immigration laws

They all see them as a huge untapped voting block and a cash cow for their political parties

red states rule
08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
That's probably how they did it back in mexico too, until they came up here and started milking out generous system dry.

According to the New York Times, there’s a growing sense of "insecurity" over a planned Department of Homeland Security crackdown. Businesses that knowingly hire people with false Social Security numbers are in the crosshairs.

The Social Security Administration is expected to send out 140,000 letters to employers – checking up on eight million workers. "Illegally documented workers." The letters target business with ten or more workers whose names and Social Security numbers don’t match agency records. A Homeland Security spokesman says, "There are not going to be any more excuses for employers, and there will be serious consequences for those that choose to blatantly disregard the law." The new rules will give businesses a short time to resolve discrepancies … then, either the illegals must be fired or the business will face hefty fines.

"Across the employer community, people are scared, confused, holding their breath," complains Craig Regelbrugge, co-chairman of the Agriculture Coalition for Immigration Reform. Liberal “advocacy groups” – including the AFL-CIO – call the regulations "anti-Hispanic." They’re planning legal challenges to prevent the new rules from being enforced.

A few weeks ago, amnesty for illegals was supposedly the most important issue in the country. Now, during election season, it’s been exiled to the sidelines. But candidates should be grilled about their position on these new rules at every campaign stop! Liberal politicians are not altogether stupid. They know if they tell the truth – that they support the "blatant disregard of the law" – they’ll never get elected!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080907/content/01125101.member.html

Pale Rider
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
"There are not going to be any more excuses for employers, and there will be serious consequences for those that choose to blatantly disregard the law."

I'm thrilled to hear this, but, after all this time, I'll believe it when I see it.

red states rule
08-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm thrilled to hear this, but, after all this time, I'll believe it when I see it.

It is happening. In some areas the politicians are seeing the folks are fed up with the invasion of America.

As Mel Brooks said in Blazing Saddles. '"we have to protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen, we must do something about this immediately"

red states rule
08-11-2007, 04:28 AM
This will make you sick.........

NYT: U.S. Making Life Miserable for Illegals, Says Unlabeled Hillary Pollster
By Clay Waters | August 10, 2007 - 16:00 ET
U.S. hostility to amnesty for illegal immigrants from Mexico is not only hurting illegals here, but crippling poor Mexicans in Mexico as well. So says the New York Times, taking its talking points from a survey performed by a pollster.

To be precise, a Democratic pollster who studies Hispanic voting trends for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign -- a tidbit that didn't get into reporter Julia Preston's sympathetic story on Mexican immigrants no longer sending cash home because of a hostile climate in the U.S.

Julia Preston's "Fewer Mexican Immigrants Are Sending Money Back Home, Bank Says" was based on a survey done by an unlabeled advocate for Latinos in the Democratic Party.

"This year a smaller percentage of Mexican immigrants in the United States sent money back to their homeland than in 2006, according to a report released yesterday by the Inter-American Development Bank. The bank said the reduction had left at least two million people in Mexico without the same financial help they had once received.

"Bank officials, pointing to a survey of Mexican immigrants in the report, said the decline reflected a rising sense of insecurity and uncertainty about whether they would stay in the United States. Anticipating a possible move back to Mexico, these immigrants appear to be saving more."

"'They have decided because of the uncertainty of the future that they need to step back and save a bit,' said Donald F. Terry, general manager of the Multilateral Investment Fund at the bank.

"Mr. Terry said the slowdown would affect about 500,000 Mexican homes. 'For those families in Mexico, there is going to be economic and social dislocation,' he said.

"Over all, the percentage of Mexicans who regularly sent money home fell to 64 percent in the first half of this year, compared with 71 percent for all of last year, according to the report. The sharpest decline in such transactions -- known as remittances -- came among Mexicans living in states where they have settled in large numbers only recently, like Georgia, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. In those states, the percentage of Mexicans sending money home fell to 56 percent from January to June, from 80 percent in 2006.

"In the survey, only 49 percent of the Mexicans living in states with relatively recent immigration said they expected to be living in the United States five years from now. Sergio Bendixen, a Miami pollster who conducted the survey, said the percentage of Mexicans considering a return to their country was the highest in the more than two decades he has interviewed Hispanic immigrants.

"The immigrants in the survey included American citizens and legal and illegal residents. They identified discrimination as the biggest problem they faced, with 83 percent saying that discrimination against Latin American immigrants in general was growing in the United States.

"'Mexican immigrants don’t feel welcome in the U.S. anymore,' Mr. Bendixen said. 'They feel they are not wanted here, and their contributions are not appreciated.'"

But Preston doesn't identify Bendixen as a Democratic activist and member of the board of advisors of the New Democratic Network, or mention that he is part of Hillary Clinton's presidential polling team. Preston quoted no opponents of illegal immigration.

Preston concluded:

"Remittances to Mexico have become vital to the economics of the country's poorest regions, bank officials said. The money pays for drinking-water systems, roads, care for older people and other needs in villages and working-class neighborhoods."

Times Watch will once again ask the obvious question, since the Times won't: Isn't the plight of poor Mexicans properly the responsibility of Mexico?

In case its somehow unclear where the Times' sympathies lie, Thursday's lead editorial informed us exactly what the paper thinks good people should think about illegals. The headline? "The Misery Strategy."

Contributing writer Alex Kotlowitz used the misery meme in his slanted cover story for the Sunday magazine, and in August 2006, reporter Randal Archibold asserted that the Arizona GOP was passing legislation "intended to make life harder for illegal residents."

Thursday's editorial concluded by implying that those who favor immigration reform regard Hispanics as vermin.

"The American people cherish lawfulness but resist cruelty, and have supported reform that includes a reasonable path to earned citizenship. Their leaders have given them immigration reform as pest control."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-waters/2007/08/10/nyt-u-s-making-life-miserable-illegals-says-unlabeled-hillary-pollster

waterrescuedude2000
08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll bet Tancredo had a big part in making the tougher laws and good for him :salute: I salute Tancredo.

We got clowns like Reid in office and he is calling Illegals "americans" God i want him out of office. Wether he get recalled or voted out I want him gone.

red states rule
08-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll bet Tancredo had a big part in making the tougher laws and good for him :salute: I salute Tancredo.

We got clowns like Reid in office and he is calling Illegals "americans" God i want him out of office. Wether he get recalled or voted out I want him gone.

What the hell do you have against clowns?

waterrescuedude2000
08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
What the hell do you have against clowns?

actual clowns nothing but "clowns" in the sense I use it is a person I don't like. Or people that are weird I call them clowns. I saw a guy here in town that had a mohawk with cotton candy pink and cotton candy blue hair, stretched ears to look like dumbo and clothes that 3 people could have fit inside with metal studs on the cothes.. He looked like a clown. I got to ask what circus did he escape from???

red states rule
08-11-2007, 04:38 PM
actual clowns nothing but "clowns" in the sense I use it is a person I don't like. Or people that are weird I call them clowns. I saw a guy here in town that had a mohawk with cotton candy pink and cotton candy blue hair, stretched ears to look like dumbo and clothes that 3 people could have fit inside with metal studs on the cothes.. He looked like a clown. I got to ask what circus did he escape from???

Was he attending the Daily Kook Kos convention?

waterrescuedude2000
08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Was he attending the Daily Kook Kos convention?

But he is a fucking liberal. And he was a cop in Washington DC I heard thats hw he got his foot in the door to where he is now. But reguardless he needs to be removed from office. I emailed his office and wrote that he needed to surrender his senate seat. Have yet to date to recieve any form of response.

red states rule
08-11-2007, 04:43 PM
But he is a fucking liberal. And he was a cop in Washington DC I heard thats hw he got his foot in the door to where he is now. But reguardless he needs to be removed from office. I emailed his office and wrote that he needed to surrender his senate seat. Have yet to date to recieve any form of response.

Why am I not surprised?

Hugh Lincoln
08-11-2007, 08:04 PM
he was a cop in Washington DC

Does that even count as a real cop?

red states rule
08-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Does that even count as a real cop?

That helps explain the high crime rate in DC